Create Account

S50 WFT #4: Make The Case Round 2: STHS Edition

10-26-2019, 01:31 PMJSS Wrote:
Code:
Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

Agaisnt. I personally have never sacrificed anything to Simon Tremblant in all my seasons as being a GM and Simon T is a nice guy to me.

Simon T likely has a fetish for long ass toes.

But seriously, it's frustrating that time, energy, and effort are not rewarded with the sim engine and that often luck is the best means for sucesss.

Code:
Defense is an OVERRATED attribute

AGAINST

Every build I've seen has improved by a strong investment in Defense, all across the board. I would even argue one of the WORST problems in this sim engine is how much it relies on the stat. You don't have to look further than the builds on every productively producing player in both the SHL and SMJHL to see the truth in that.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2019, 04:47 PM by Rublic.)

Code:
Line strategies (e.g., 1-1-3, 0-1-4) are underrated in their importance in the sim

The Way I like to break down my Lines into Numbers where each section is out of 10.

So i look at 4 stats when developing lines

Checking
Passing/Scoring
Defense

lets Say our lineup look like this

Sniper/ Playmaker / Power Forward
Checking 60 / Checking 50 / Checking 70
Passing 60 / Passing 70 / Passing 65
Scoring 70 / Scoring 60 / Scoring 65
Defense 60 / Defense 75 / Defense 70

So Collectively this line has:

Checking: 18
Passing: 19.5
Scoring: 19.5
Defense:20.5

Now that I have these numbers i can round out my line compesition. So right now the Line is best at defending, really good at scoring and decent checking. Because they are solid defensively and offensively and could probably use a little boost in the hits department. I would go with a 1-1-3 offensive strategy. This would make the totals

Checking: 19
Passing: 22.5
Scoring: 22.5
Defense: 21.5

Because they are forwards it is important to have a higher offensive number compared to defense. I truely believe the checking strat is severly under udilized in the sim as checking helps your team gain posession. The other team cant score if they dont have the puck. regardless of what each individual players checking stat is, it is everyone's responsability to go out and get the puck.

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates

"Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success"

I can confirm anecdotally that this does not work. In my several seasons of being cursed by STHS, we have tried more and more elaborate sacrifices. It started with harvest sacrifices, then progressed to live animals (we've tried goats, pigs, even a turtle we found outside the arena one time). None of this worked. Next we are thinking about sacrificing a virgin but unfortunately @Good_Ole_Kimmy overheard us talking about it and ran away so that plan has been put on hold for now.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Strength is the most underrated attribute

I agree with this take, especially for centermen. It will definitely help with FO% and also, if you are a more defensive player, you will be able to knock other players off the puck more frequently. If you are an offensive player, you won't lose the puck as frequently. Puck possession is important in limiting opponent's chances and having more of your own.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

Truth, the Dragons throughout the years have been known for their chicken sacrifices to appease the sim gods. Or maybe it was just @Steelhead77 hungry for more parms?

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

Code:

I could not disagree more. There a reason why Lil Manius’ weakness is strength. Strength is import in the sense that it effect many attributes. Although the emphasis that this league put on strength is greatly overrated.

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Code:
Goalie size (not the size attribute but the goalie's actual height and weight) impact goalie performance

Against because STHS will full you either way. But seriously this matters less I've found because the sim is more focused on the attributes. The actual size and weight of your goalie means little and is more of a coincidence if it happens to show any stats to support it.

[Image: cDMBWce.png]
[Image: 0tCQttQ.png]
LA Panthers Goaltender

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness
FOR

A common exception seems to be an offensive minded player with a Checking weakness.  They will tend to invest no points in checking and let their linemates deliver the hits.  Besides that, the only stats I would think are worth leaving untouched are Face Offs and Penalty Shots for some positions, and I'm not aware of those being possible Weaknesses.

You aren't going to max out your weakness first, but after pressing your strength, you generally want to shore up your weakness and grow your game to the next level.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Endurance is the most underrated attribute

I have a feeling this is true but honestly I don't know. I've seen improvements to my game as I've increased my endurance, so I feel that maybe its cool.

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]

Endurance is the most underrated attribute

FOR: and im definitely not just for this because i picked endurance as a strength and nobody told me it wasn't all that great and im just in denial about the massive mistake i have made as a player.

Code:
There should be more of a penalty for playing forwards out of position

AGAINST! Fervently against. Forwards that are playing out of position aren't doing so because there's a mythical advantage. They are doing so because there is no one else to play whatever position they are filling. To think otherwise is just plain asinine.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

It's better to pull the goalie early rather than leave them in if they're off to a rough start

This is one I easily agree on, When a goalie gets off to a rough start I believe you need to get them out of the net as soon as possible. This first off all gives the team a chance to collect their breath and get a fresh start but also gives the goalie a chance to collect them self before their next start.

[Image: HIXWkkp.gif]

HE SHOOTS HE SCORES

JOHN LANGABEER NETS IT AND TIES THE GAME!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND HE SCORES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN LANGABEER JUST SCORED THE 2 BIGGEST GOALS OF HIS CAREER IN A MATTER OF 10 SECONDS!!!!!!

WEST KENDALL TAKES THE LEAD!!!!

S41 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7, Game Tying and Game Winning Goals.

Defense is an OVERRATED attribute

I actually agree with this one. People claim defense is the most important attribute, but in another league I have a player with defense in the 40s and he still manages to be one of the league's top scorers. I think you can be an effective forward with lower defense.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

Against, I think it's one of the least effective attributes for the sim, from a defenseman point of view. If you are a defenseman, strength should be your weakness 100% .

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons