Create Account

S66 PT #3: Breakaway Challenge

Creative Prompt

Alright so we're doing the best shootout of all time and there's nothing better... more extravagant... more insanely expensive then sending the puck to the moon and having it completely obliterate the net when it returns! So how it's going to work is that the player shoots the puck into the space balloon where it is then ignited and expanded so it would fly through the ceiling of the arena and reach insanely cold elevations. This is all while the puck is being streamed live on the jumbotron. Then, once the puck has received sufficient altitude, the case releases and it is dropped down back into Earth's atmosphere at impressive speeds where it needs mini rocket boosters and a parachute to stabilize itself. Keep in mind, this is a special puck made of a special material to prevent it from burning up on the way back down. With all the calculations made previously and the trajectory accurate, the puck flies right through the back of the net and the crowd goes wild!

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Zayne Dangle is not know for his breakaway prowess. However with the entire world watching he has to pull out all the stops and really put on a show for everyone to see. He has always been entertained by the trapeze artists. So Dangle will be spending the money to install trapeze ropes to above the net. He will also get custom rockets installed on his skates. Imagine a quadrupole front flip. Being caught by Bean Beanman (He is secretly a gymnast in his spare time. He believes it keeps him in great shape). Then the rockets on Dangles skates will put him into another spin and he will then shoot the puck. You may be wondering where pick was during this whole spectacle. Well you see, Dangle has also learned magic so the puck was behind some kids ear in the stands. But not behind the bench since that would be a delay of game penalty. No goalie has ever stopped such a crazy goal before.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

Hockey Prompt

I will be honest, I am not a huge fan of the Shootout to decide games in the NHL.
I think a better solution is going to a 3/2/1/0 points system in the NHL and having the overtime period be extended from 5 to 10 minutes of 3 on 3 action.
The change in points awarded for wins should see teams trying to get the extra point for a regulation win, while also still ensuring the integrity in the standings.
The change in the overtime period allows for more offensive chances for both teams to put the puck away prior to a shootout.

I think fans are paying for the experience of watching the best players play.  And by adding 5 minutes of exciting action to the end of a game is a great way to give fans something to remember as they walk out of the arena that night and I truly think the players wouldn't mind playing for a couple extra shifts of high octane fun.

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

HOCKEY PROMPT

As a kid I loved shootouts whenever they happened and was very much for them because they were quite rare and felt like there's a bunch of new tricks we could see. But nowadays we have seen them so much that it's pretty rare for anyone to score a fun or original shootout goal. And also you have to admit that they are very much a coin toss. But on the other hand, so is 3v3 or 4v4 or 5v5... Hockey is very random and if teams are tied after 60, it's anybody's game. But my current personal preference would be maybe 10 min 4v4 and if it's still tied, both get one point. In addition to allowing ties, we should stop rewarding teams for ties by handing out an extra point for OT games. So let's go like this: three points up for grabs. 3-0 if you win it in regulation. 2-1 if you win it in OT. 1-1 if you are tied after OT. And because teams would try to win it in regulation more, it makes the last regulation minutes more exciting, and OTs would be more rare.

[Image: sulov.gif]

- Prompt 1 -

The SHL Skills Competition is underway, and the stage is set as Jimmy Larkin-Conway skates out to center ice for his Breakaway Challenge attempt. The lights go out, and the crowd lights up the arena with their cellphones as a buzz begins to spread among them. The lights come back up, and Jimmy is standing at the top of a small ramp. He's holding his stick in one hand, and a skateboard in the other. Jimmy starts waving his arms up and down to get the crowd going, and they cheer louder and louder as Jimmy hops on the skateboard, still wearing his ice skates mind you, and rolls down the ramp toward the goal. He drops a puck on the ice now and begins to deke with his stick... Jimmy pops the puck up in the air and now he's done a kickflip with the skateboard... THE SKATEBOARD HITS THE PUCK INTO THE NET! Can you believe it!? I can!

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

hockey prompt

Let's be honest, I've always liked the post-match throw series. It makes hearts beat faster and empathise with their team. Of course, many people say it's a game of happiness and a thorough lottery, but I believe a player needs to be talented enough to be able to do anything like that at all. Simple and easy throws are caught without problems by goalkeepers, which is the main factor why you have to be masterful. The introduction of the 3-for-3 format was already, in a way, a step from management that it was necessary to run such series as little as possible, but over time that extra-time format has also teased itself, as teams have understood how to play under the circumstances and, overall, hockey has remained much calmer and more measured in that regard. Both the extra time and shootout series are beautiful and viewable, so I have no qualms about any of them. I'm happy to watch both and support my favourites.

I've got to put in some of the old Ogre Street flair for this penalty shot. I start with a flip of the puck up in the air. Then, from the bench, a teammate tosses me my special top hat...now loaded with blades and weights like the one I used to wear back in the day. Though, instead of injuring a man, this hat's going to make this a two-on-none. It flies, it pings off the glass, it skirts the ice now and then, but the goal is to get it to ricochet wildly enough to keep the goaltender guessing, but not so wild that I have to as well. Then, the fun begins, as I bat the puck toward the hat, which bats it back to me, and I start to skate with it. Throw in some dekes, some 360s, make the goalie play a guessing game as to whether I'm going to throw it directly at him or flip it back to the hat and let it try to score. The attempt ends with a fake, as I line up to flick it over his shoulder...but go down low the other way and to the hat as it comes in for the shot on goal!

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

HOCKEY PROMPT

I was excited to write about my player's shootout attempt until I saw the hockey prompt and knew I needed to write about that one.

As every hockey fan, I also have very strong opinions about the place shootouts have in our game. I am of the mind that, it is indeed unfortunate that we have to end some games with what essentially amounts to a skills competition when hockey is very much a team sport. With that being said, I think they have their place.

In the regular season, it really does not make a lot of sense to have continuous OT when we expect players to suit up for 82 games a season. I imagine it would exhaust them more than games already do and it would likely diminish the quality of games over the course of a full season.

We could also go back to having ties instead of going to a shootout at the end of OT, but there's something truly dissatisfying about leaving a game without a winner.
With that in mind, I believe shootouts to be an effective way to end a game in a quick manner while still being able to have a winner at the end.

One caveat to that is that they have absolutely no place in playoffs. While the NHL luckily understands this, I just wish that the IIHF would do away with shootouts in the medal rounds.

240 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

Mitchell van der Heijden drives onto the ice in an Alfa Romeo Sauber Formula 1 car. The crowd goes nuts. He first does donuts while stickhandling, something that has never ever been done before in the history of hockey. The crowd goes nuts as van der Heijden laps up the attention. Suddenly, he steps out of the car. He screams, "ARE YOU READY?????" and reveals that he has special ice skates developed by the Sauber team powered by, you guessed it, a remote engine that allows him to skate at speeds up to 100 miles per hour but also stop on a dime. He gets the puck, stares down the goalie, and begins. He's absolutely flying down the ice, barely having to move his stick as it pushes the puck down the rink. He's going so fast, the goalie won't even stand a chance. His attempt at the fastest ever no-move shootout goal is successful. The goalie flails as the puck slides through his five hole. Crowd goes nuts.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

All star weekend is usually pretty lame, the game sucks because nobody really tries because nobody wants to get hurt. However the skills competition is the real jewel of the weekend so Ben Der knows he has to really go all out for his run in the breakaway challenge. He has had several ideas on his attempt; at first he thought about going out there in just his underwear but the SHLPA told him absolutely not. Then he thought about having a sled dog team pull him the whole way and naturally PETA hated that as well. So his third and favorite plan his to now be shot out of a cannon and score like that. He'll be in full gear so he'll be safe but the risk of this is for sure going to be a show stopper and crowd pleaser. He is undecided if he's going to try to land on his skates and go the rest of the way or if he'll slide on the ice with the puck once he lands. Either way he's sure to win this relay.

[Image: macgriddlesig.png?ex=6531467b&is=651ed17...9ee2d84f&=]
Finland  Stars  Berserkers

Hockey Prompt

The hottest debate in hockey the last couple of seasons, the shoot out versus 3 on 3 hockey. Lets be honest, I only say its the hottest because everyone wants 3 on 3. 3 on 3 is a continuation of the game we love, still pitting players on both teams against each other, just opening up the ice leaving for much faster hockey, and more exciting plays. Where the shoot out slows the game down, makes it a skater versus a goalie. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching shootouts. However, ever since they introduced 3 on 3 hockey I have no interest in watching a game be finished by a shoot out, id much rather watch the 3 on 3. I also think this is why you are starting to see international leagues switch to the 3 on 3 format as well. As it is simply just fast exciting hockey. The league should be done with the shoot out and convert to solely 3 on 3 hockey.

170+

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Hockey Prompt

At first, they were exciting. It was a good way to make sure there would always have a winner after a game without making it too extra long. I think it can still stay in place even though it doesn't have the wow factor anymore. I'd like a system which would give a win in regular time 3 points and only 2 points in extra time. 3 on 3 is really fun and I wish it would continue until we have a winner but I understand the 5 minutes time limit for players safety. I might be a bit old school but I wouldn't be against bringing back the tie. Too many times you see both teams playing it safe just to make sure to get a point. It would add a sense of urgency if both teams are tied after 3 periods you get no points. Teams fighting for a playoffs spot would remove the goalie even if the score is equal if they need 2 points.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]

PBE PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

SSL Affiliate

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

Prompt 2.

I fucking hate shootouts. Why did they play sixty five minutes to just have shoot outs. It is fun, for all star weekend, but to go through and entire three periods, then five minutes of three versus three? For what? To have a shoot out? Fuck you.

On the other hand. Three versus three is fucking dope. Though sometimes it ends up a lot like nfl overtime used to be where whoever has the puck/ball first wins. I liked four versus four but it didn’t generate enough offense to avoid shootouts.

I do think a simple change needs to be made. I do not think you should get the loser point unless you make it to the shootout.

So if you win in the five minute overtime you get two points, loser gets none. Would maybe get teams playing more desperate in overtime since no one has a point yet. But what do I know. You are the one that asked.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]