Create Account

S67 PT #1: Media Mogul Due: September 25th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

HOCKEY PROMPT

I think there is a lot of good media these days, but also a lot of not good. The positive is that with the rise of analytics, there is more fact-based content available. That is a good thing, because I think it is very valuable that we don't solely rely on eye-test and basic stats (like plus-minus...).

What I don't really like is media that lacks criticism where it would be needed. Like listening to NHL podcasts or watching clips, that are produced by either the teams or official NHL partners. You just see it, hear it and feel it when they are not allowed to (or don't have the guts to) touch certain topics or they are just brushed off or viewed through rose-colored glasses. If something is holding you back from saying or doing things you feel should be said or done, it's not journalism, but just PR. And sure, that doesn't make it completely worthless media, but I'd hope there was more free hockey journalism. If I had a hockey media, I would make sure we wouldn't be getting any money from the leagues we write about.

[Image: sulov.gif]

Written Task: These days Twitter takeovers and appearing on Tik Tok just seems to be a part of the job when it comes to being a professional hockey player. So how does your player handle this? When it's their turn to show up on the team Youtube, are they excited for it? Are you the type to be coming up with fun ideas for content and goofing around with the social media team? Or maybe you go to increasingly insane lengths to not appear on camera? Is this a welcome part of the job, or just something you have to do? (150+ words)

Grogu of course has a massive fan following because of his appearance on The Mandalorian, and more and more of these fans are being drawn to the sport of hockey and the Simulation Hockey League because of crossover interest. Most of his media content is through TV commercials and endorsements but the growth of social media is another way for Grogu and his fans to interact. Grogu's twitter account is active and every tweet gets at least 47 million likes and retweets. When it comes to things like tik tok, twitch streaming, or youtube videos, unfortunately team management is a boomer and has little clue how these things work, so the players are often left to their own devices to try and engage with that. However, the Dragons management definitely recognizes that Grogu has massive appeal to all demographics, and is quickly becoming a league-wide superstar so they definitely encourage him to participate and wear his Dragons jersey everywhere he goes, be it late night talk shows, a guest host appearance on Saturday Night Live, or visiting sick children with a Make-A-Wish dream of meeting a 50 year old force-using baby alien. It may be considered old-school to some, but it still has a draw. Perhaps in the future the team will be able to hire someone who understands these newfangled forms of communication and get more Grogu content on the internet!

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

ph

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

Oles loves the slavic media back home. In Europe people are not afraid to ask the tough questions and reporters often drink with the players after the interviews are over. But here in North America the Reporters are so angry, mean and genuinely don't give a shit about the player they are talking to. Reporters need to be fun, engaging and make the player want to talk to them, where as instead they act like they are above player. "why are you struggling", "When is the contract going to get signed", "do you like your teammates" are all basic questions we heard every year.

Oles sees himself starting his own media empire called "Fresh Ice hockey", like the name suggests, Oles will bring a fresh style of interviewing to the SHL. Interviews would be taking place on the golf course, in the night clubs, at fancy restaurants and just like local Kazakstanian reporter Borat, not be afraid to ask the really tough questions. "how many inches are you packing?" "That wasn't your wife you left the night club with was it?" and "why is your hockey skills great, but your golf skills are trash?" are just some of the types of questions you can expect to hear

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Hockey Prompt

The most active I am when it comes to engaging with hockey media is at the trade deadline and that first day of free agency. I find excitement in those days as you never know what trade will happen and who will go where, it's like a kid opening kids on Christmas morning waiting to see what will happen. Beyond that I don't really engage in hockey media beyond the Detroit Red Wings facebook page for updates and articles. I do enjoy the Athletic articles every now and then but would rather not deal with pay walls so there's that. My wife actually engages with hockey media more than I do. She's an Ottawa fan and follows all the Ottawa hockey personalities on Twitter, will read articles about the Sens and listens to Marc Methot's podcast every now and then. So yeah my wife is more dedicated than me I guess

[Image: keithley.png]
[Image: mcalister.png]

Prompt 2

Jaska Seppala of the Buffalo Stampede is someone who enjoys the spotlight. Jaska Seppala welcomes the opportunity to be selected for a twitter takeover, or a tiktok video, or appearing on the team's YouTube page. Jaska Seppala has done it many times and always has fun with coming up with some insane and goofy ideas for social media. He has even made friends with the guys and girls who run the social media accounts for the Buffalo Stampede. Jaska Seppala enjoys embarrassing himself with whatever new TikTok trend is and welcomes all the press he gets. He is thinking about maybe retiring from Hockey to become an internet personality. He would not have to risk injury and could probably even make more money by doing that. When he takes over the teams twitter account he loves interacting and talking with the Buffalo Stampede fans and answer any weird or interesting question they might throw at him.

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Player Prompt
As previously stated Greyson Cooper is one of the quietest guys on the team so when it comes to media days & tik tok content he is the least excited about it. However, he knows it comes with the job & that the fans love it so he will always do it. He typically is not one to come forward with fun ideas for content & goofing around on camera but he's never one to say no when he is asked for availability. He would much rather answer interview questions than have to do a dance or a forced intro for youtube. He usually tries to hide from the media team when he knows they are working on something & has even gone to lengths to sneak out the back door to try & hide from them. I think the more years in the SHL the more comfortable he will be in front of the camera. 156 words

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3

ISFL Affiliate

Code:
player prompt
[Image: H3Gj1zq.png]

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Hockey Prompt:
As a kid I used to watch TSN every single morning to watch the highlights from games the night before. I was so invested in the league that I knew practically every team's 4th lines. As I finished school I found I had a lot less time to keep up that habit and starting focusing more only on my own team, while reading a bit of stuff from around the league as well.
So these days I like to read a lot of analysis about my own team, usually through articles. I like the nitty gritty details about contracts and player performances and so on. I feel like the league itself is moving towards focusing on a slightly younger audience, and I am totally fine with that. I think it would be a great way for the league to grow and reach a new audience.
If it were up to me, I'd focus mostly on statistics, reviews of games, maybe very condensed highlight packages of the night before. Maybe make it more accessible for people who don't always have a lot of time. But like I said, I understand the direction they are heading with it.

196 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

So out in Nevada we definitely have all the bright lights and media on us most of the time. We do have a team youtube and tik tok and I am not opposed to going on to it if it is my turn up. I am not one who usually goes out of my way to be on all the videos or the covers though, I like to just keep my head down and get my job done. Because of this I also hire a social media manager to handle anything with me on twitter or tik tok, and while I wish I could just say I wouldn't have them it would be brand suicide to not have those in todays day and age. Have to build that brand to build that bank account and trophy case. I know they usually ask me to do trick shots, training videos for kids, or even just me goofing around on the ice with my teammates. Those are always my fave since the guys in the Battleborn are always cutting up and having a good time anyways so it just comes naturally to all of us.

193 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

I relatively enjoy the hockey media that we have today. I’m a big fan of Ryan Lambert, I think he’s great and he’s got a bit of an attitude so I can always enjoy that. However, I’m also a really big fan of the Player’s Tribune and getting a more “personal” look at players (even though they are heavily edited). If I were to start my own media empire or company, I’d look to maybe do stuff like the players tribune, as well as perhaps some Elliott Friedman styled media, I think he’s a phenomenal journalist and I’m really happy to see him enjoy the success that he has been enjoying as he is leaps and bounds better than anyone else in his field. I hope to see him grow as a journalist and bring more light to some of the personalities within the NHL and allow fans of teams to learn more about the players that play in the NHL.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

I have to admit I don’t even follow actual hockey these days as much as I used to. Being from Europe, the NHL games have always been at a bad time for me, but for years during the ‘00s I woke up in mornings to read NHL news from ESPN’s Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun. Later I somehow discovered the Puck Daddy blog on Yahoo. That was when Greg Wyshinski or however that was spelled still ran the thing and over time that became my go-to for NHL news. While its great that there’s more and more video content of the actual games available, I’ve always been more of the kind that likes to quietly read stuff instead of podcasts and video blogs and whatnot, so I’m not sure if I’m a fan of those things being used more instead of good old-fashioned articles, but I understand it’s the way the world is going and it’s no use complaining over it. And right now it’s more a lack of time and even interest that keeps me from delving more into the myriad of information we have available to us these days. I remember the first NHL 24/7 shows that came out like a decade ago now? Those were good. I think they still do them now, but I doubt if it lives up to the freshness of the originals anymore if it’s done over so many times?

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

I am a huge fan of all things hockey, so I consume an unbelievable amount of hockey content. I'm a huge Blue Jackets fan, so I follow all of the team accounts, in addition to the team beat reporters, Jeff Svoboda being my favorite. Beyond that, I follow a lot of national coverage too, mostly in the form of podcasts. Some of my favorite hockey podcasts are 32 Thoughts, The DFO Rundown, and Cold Stove Pod. It's always interesting to hear all the different opinions on the same stories, it can eliminate any bias that any of those podcasts can have. I also read a few things here and there on ESPN, and I also love reading anything on the Players Tribune about hockey. I would definitely say I'm in the top percentage of hockey content consumers, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, gotta keep up with everything going on in my favorite sport.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]