Create Account

S45 PT #2 - The Sit Down

Well George, when I first entered the SHL there were a lot more true power forwards in the league. Real men and women that knew what it meant to play with your heart, soul, blood and guts out on the ice. Not like these lightweights skating salchows and lutz’s in our league right now. I admired quite a few of them, but there was one particular guy I looked to more than any other, Big Z himself, Zalleras Szlerchek. Big Z, the Platoon’s very own Captain Eeyore, was a beast in every aspect of the game. He could make the huge hit, the key pass, the game winning goal, whatever was necessary, whenever necessary. He led the Toonzas as our captain for a number of seasons and helped drag us into the playoffs every year without fail. He had so many big moments and momentum changing plays. I could not single any one out . Suffice it to say the young Slappy McDoodle knew exactly who to model my career after.

@AlwaysGettingHaxed

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

George: Welcome to the show, and lets begin with this.. who was that first player when you joined the league that caught your eye? the one you wanted to emulate your game after, the person who's success you coveted on or off the ice, the one you first admired, and why?.. let us know alittle about that." -

When I, Ben Dover, Joined this league my goal was to be one of the best goal scoring defencemen in the SHL. I saw greats like @kit Muller score 20+ goals in the season or Willie Weber score big goals for the jets and the blizzard and I went I want to play like those two studs. I feel like I am a large defencemen that can skate and that is actually a type that I wanted to go with for my previous player in Jarrko Vatinnen or wtv his name was. Big guy that can skate and produce offense for his team. That has been my plan for my player and is something that I even want to keep up during regression and when I retire eventually to be known about within the league. This was my plan for my player and so far I feel like I have completed a majority of goals as aplayer my next goal is to win a challenge cup for the steelhawks.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM by ViN.)

[Image: gXIbqUb.png]

@Steelhead77

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: wu5MVvy.png%5D]

This is going to sound odd, especially seeing as he retired a good five or six seasons before I was even drafted to the SMJHL, but the player that first made me go "wow, I wanna be like him" was Alexey Kovalenko. @Dion

I think I was 6, it was Season 19, and we still lived in rural North Dakota. We only had the ability to watch games of two teams- Winnipeg, and Minnesota. Winnipeg was the good team at the time, so that's where my fandom leaned. I'd only done a little bit of hockey at the time, but it was the challenge cup finals and Winnipeg was winning, and I remember watching Alexey Kovalenko pulling this ridiculous crossover deke move to beat two defensemen and chuck the puck to the person who scored the goal. After the game was over, I was out the back for hours pretending to pull that move. There are players I admire more now, for sure, but none of them ever captured my imagination quite like Alexey Kovalenko in the Season 19 Challenge Cup Finals.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

[Image: esa1.png]

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 08:02 PM by JT3.)

The first player I admired when I was drafted to the Halifax Raiders and came over from Ireland was actually not one of the big league SHL pros, but one of the Halifax Raider senior defensemen. Lukas Muller was one of the top players in the SMJHL during his time and one of the Raiders all time great players. He was great at both ends of the ice, putting up almost point per game numbers every season while being a defensive rock in his own zone. Not only did his play on the ice inspire me but he was also a great guy to have in the locker room. He really helped to show me the ropes when I first joined the Raiders and taught me how to be a proper professional. Lukas has since retired and moved on to other things but I am still thankful for his help and wish him all the best with his endeavors.

@DannyMethane

159 words

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

George: Welcome to the show, and let's begin with this.. who was that first player when you joined the league that caught your eye? the one you wanted to emulate your game after, the person who's success you coveted on or off the ice, the one you first admired, and why?.. let us know a little about that."

It had to be that @Mike Izzy. While I've never had the chance to have too much interaction with him, he played a complete game and was able to really rack up the points for his team. The guy could do it all and was truly a threat anytime he stepped foot on the ice. Between his play on the ice and his involvement in the extra league activities, he's truly been someone who is a good guy to model your game after and shows you what it can be to be a contributor to the community. Beyond all his work with PTs, the dude's Izzy dogs have to be the biggest contribution that anybody has made to the league by ensuring that we're all well fed for our thunderdoming.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

George: Welcome to the show, and lets begin with this.. who was that first player when you joined the league that caught your eye?  the one you wanted to emulate your game after, the person who's success you coveted on or off the ice, the one you first admired, and why?.. let us know alittle about that."  @Chris-McZehrl

Selich: That is actually quite the easy answer because for me it was VLAD McZehrl. He just came off 2 consistent season with Seattle getting him 56 points in both seasons and then started to drop these otherworldly season in Manhattan. For his tenure in the big Apple he never scored less than 63 Points for the team that wears the red jerseys. He crowned his successful stint in Manhattan with a Challenge Cup and setting the new realism era record for points and goals. So it was pretty clear that this player would be a future Hall of Famer and this is something I also want to do with my young career. I would love to challenge SMJHL and SHL records in my career and win the Cup in the SHL. VLAD also had quite a good career for team Germany with winning a decent amount of medals. So overall I just want to have a career like his and get a big amount of individual awards while winning team awards that should will be the ultimate goal.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

[Image: partlow.png]

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Of course I'm not quite on the team yet but I knew as soon as I made it to the Texas Renegades training camp that Conklin Owen was going to be the guy who I try my hardest to model my game after. Just a through and through goal scorer who can work his magic in clutch situations and really turn a game around when it matters the most. If I was going to compare my game to anyone that is who it probably would be, and I think that my time in the juniors has established that I am highly capable of being a game changing player like Owen has been for the Renegades all this time. It is only a matter of time until I am on the Renegades roster and I hope the Texas fans are looking forward to seeing me don the uniform and work my magic.

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 09:45 PM by Grapehead.)

George: Welcome to the show, and lets begin with this.. who was that first player when you joined the league that caught your eye? the one you wanted to emulate your game after, the person who's success you coveted on or off the ice, the one you first admired, and why?.. let us know a little about that.

Charlie: I’ve been a huge fan of Isak Odegard (@prettyburn )since he was a young prospect for the Chiefs, and getting to meet him in San Francisco was an honour. Going into this summer, preparing for my rookie season, I knew there was an opportunity to maybe sneak onto Odegard’s pair. Not many players in the league could offer the wealth of experience that Isak has, and I was determined to absorb as much of that as I could. So far the results aren’t there for me, but I’ve been learning the ropes from another legend in the making, Jack Tanner (@Beaver). Who knows what the last half of the season has in store for the team, but every day that I get to spend practicing with players like Odegard, and Tanner makes me better. The future is bright for players like myself, Bork, and Stevenson who get the privilege of learning from the best.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

George: Welcome to the show, and lets begin with this.. who was that first player when you joined the league that caught your eye? the one you wanted to emulate your game after, the person who's success you coveted on or off the ice, the one you first admired, and why?.. let us know a little about that."

Chuck Crutchfield: "Obviously coming into the league, one of my biggest influences was my dad, Chris Crutchfield. He was a good defenseman for an extended period of time at the SHL level. Other than that, there was another defenceman that came to play for the Panthers that had a large influence on my game. Chuck Goody (@nike) was a massive influence on me developing my game. He was a legendary defenceman in this league for a long period of time, and showed that season in and season out that he had what it took to be the best defenceman in the game. I'm looking and hoping that my game will hopefully be that good -- but you can't bet on that. It'll take a lot of hard work but through my player agent and all of his knowledge, I think combining that with my raw skill will get me to that point.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

[Image: 32pyboe.jpg]

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]

That is an easy question for me to answer George. Growing up in a huge hockey family as myself with Zack Hoover as one of my dad's and then recently SHL Hall of Fame Inductee Luke Fleming as my other I always had someone to emulate. Thougjh my dad Zack had a short career as a winger in tbe SHL, my dad Luke had a long career as a center. The way he was just able to play out there was something else. He has guided my career since I can even remember, teaching me how to take a draw in the faceoff dot, even how to cheat at them to get an advantage against my opponent. His strong defensive play and great offensive numbers are something I want to be able to achieve whenever I hit the big leagues in San Francisco. Somewhat of an unorthodox answer, and maybe not exactly what you were looking for with your question George, but this is my answer.

@Nereus

[Image: ZLoVQGU.png]
[Image: M02LOrx.png]

- Profile Page - Update Page -