Create Account

SMJHL S24 Prospect First Look: "Anthony Mantha"

Anthony Mantha is an exciting prospect for the S24 SMJHL Draft.

At 6' 5" and 214 lbs., Mantha is a large power-forward that loves to take the body on people. He also has the ability to put up points, having scored 39 points in 33 games with Rive-Sud Collège Français Espoir of the QMEAA in 2009-10, and 44 in 37 with the Coll. Charles-Lemoy. Riverains in 2011-12. Mantha is a good skater with a very good shot that he enjoys using, but also is able to make a play. Surprisingly fast for his size, his reach helps him frustrate goaltenders.

Although he is blessed with many traits, Mantha needs to work on his grit. Although he is large, he does not make full use of his size sometimes, and he is not aggressive enough yet. However, Mantha has a desire to win that will make him an asset for any team that drafts him.

Hockey has been a part of Mantha's life for as long as he can remember, dating back to growing up in Longueuil, Quebec, Canada.

Quote:As a Canadian boy, there's a lot of hockey around. It's pretty much the national sport, and there are so many role models from here that made it to the SHL and the HOF, so there was always that drive of being there. Hockey was always fun for me. No one ever forced me to play. I do it for the love of the game.

Mantha isn't cocky or lazy, and he knows that it'll take more than just his raw skill to make it to the SMJHL, and later, the SHL.

Quote:People are like, 'You're a good player' and 'I wish I was as good as you are'. But there's always lots to improve on. That's what I'm trying to work on.

He is confident that he'll be drafted into the SMJHL.

Quote:Obviously, you can't be like that and just say 'Oh, I'll get drafted, you suck.'. I'll do whatever it takes for a team to pick me, and that includes things I don't like. I was raised to always do what it takes to get something done, and this is just my next challenge in life.

Below is a Q&A with Mantha. He can also be reached via PM to be spoken to and/or interviewed by any team executives, players, or simply regular people.

Q: When did you start playing?
A: I'm pretty sure I was around five. I remember getting skates for my birthday, and there was a lot of crying going on before I got good. I practiced, though, and eventually I got onto a team.

Q: Did you think you would be considered for the SMJHL, and maybe even SHL, draft?
A: I was always told that I was better than most players. I didn't think I would get this far, but my love of the game got me here and I can't back down now.

Q: Do you think Team Canada will ask you to represent it?
A: I can only say that I hope so! Canada is a great hockey nation, and I would be greatful to wear the maple leaf on my chest.

Q: Have you ever thought about what would happen if you were smaller? Do you think you'd end up being a different position, or quitting altogether?
A: That's a really interesting question! I wouldn't quit, because lots of small guys have success. Sure, you get hit, but you're generally faster and you can't let size deter you from doing what you love. Nothing should, but I definitely wouldn't be a power-forward. *chuckles* I might have tried goaltending or stayed at forward.

Q: Do you have anything to say to the SMJHL GM's right now?
A: Draft me! *laughs*

Q: If you could go to any SMJHL team, which and why? And how about SHL?
A: Whichever one has the nicest jerseys! *laughs*

Word around the street is Vancouver had some nice looking jerseys Wink

Welcome to the site Cheers

Quote:Originally posted by mryourface2468@May 26 2015, 04:49 PM
Word around the street is Vancouver had some nice looking jerseys Wink

Welcome to the site Cheers
I'll take that as a sign you're gonna draft me :lol:

Quote:Originally posted by NovaRC@May 26 2015, 10:32 PM

I'll take that as a sign you're gonna draft me  :lol:
:ph34r: Whalers

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

*name drop time*

met the real anthony mantha a few times here in grand rapids. nice kid. i hope he does really well the NHL. he needs a few more years, but hes got some real skill.