Create Account

Draft Cancer

Reasons Not To Draft Willy Mack

Hello all, some of you may recognise my name from such retired players as: Willy Mack, Dude Love, Daddy Mack and now back as Willy Mack the 2nd.

I have been on this site for just over 2 years now, joining in the summer of 2016 during a reddit draft. I am a huge hockey fan and I browse the /r/hockey subreddit every day for hockey news. When I saw the post for the SHL I was really intrigued and the site looked so cool. I always loved playing fantasy hockey but I had a hard time finding people who were as into it as I am. Most of the leagues I played in with friends were not that fun because people barely cared about them.
When I came to the SHL it looked like a bunch of people who were really into fantasy hockey that they took it to the next level! I fell in love so fast and could not wait to make my first player.

So let’s take a deeper look at each of my players and what went wrong, starting with my first player Willy Mack the 1st.

I joined during a reddit draft as I mentioned and it was the Season 30 draft which ended up being an amazing draft from what everyone says. I was a total noob to the site and I didn’t really know how to make a good player. I picked a sniping center with PENALTY SHOT as one of my strengths. Not very smart but at the time my thinking was nobody else had it and maybe it would end up being awesome. I honestly really didn’t have a clue, I thought all the builds were viable but in reality you can make a really shitty player in the SMJHL when you don’t have a clue.

Prior to my first draft I was doing everything I could to stand out in hopes of being a high draft pick. I wrote tons of articles and made a lot of money. People were liking my stuff and I had a lot of GM’s reaching out to me. It was super exciting. The night of the draft I was so pumped and ended up being a 2nd round pick of the St Louis Scarecrows. Back then the management team was @ligma and @TML99, these two dudes were awesome.

Well to cut to the chase I ended up quitting about a week after the draft and not coming back for like a year +. So what made me quit? It was a couple things. First I just was pretty bummed the more I learned about the player builds the more I realised I wish I made my player differently. So that made me lose a lot of my love for the league, I didn’t even really know back then that I could pay to change some of my build options or maybe I would have stayed. Also I just was really underwhelmed by the sims at first. I was really wanting a visual component to the sim and just logging in each day to read the sims wasn’t very exciting. So bam I quit and didn’t even stick around for 1 season or to be drafted in the SHL.

My time was short but I actually had a lot of fun with that first player. I wrote some dumb funny articles and met some really cool people and even though I didn’t come back for a year I thought of the SHL often and checked in here and there. That player Willy Mack ended up winning a Challenge Cup in S37 as a bench player for the Winnipeg Jets. Big shout out to @ToeDragon84, without him Willy Mack probably would not have been on that team.

Speaking of S37 that is when I made my comeback to the site as defenseman Dude Love, just in time to see Willy Mack win the Challenge Cup.
This time I decided I wanted to give the SHL another shot and see if I liked it a bit more if I made a better player. I just came back on a random day and the SMJHL draft had already happened so when I made my player he was a free agent. I had two teams who were pushing to land me, Kelowna Knights and Vancouver Whalers. Vancouver had just won back to back cups and they reached out to me first. They were really awesome and made me feel like I would fit in great with the Whalers. Samee reached out to me for the Knights second and he was really awesome. He made it really hard on me to pick but I ended up choosing Vancouver mostly because they contacted me first as both teams were great to me.

Dude Love had an average rookie season with 6 goals and 15 points. In year 2 I capped 350 TPE right away and I had 12 goals and 27 assists for 39 points which was tied for 5th among defenseman. Being a top scoring player in the league was actually pretty fun. The more I looked at the league I now decided that it would be fun being a maxed 350 TPE player in the SMJHL but I didn’t have it in me to grind out the TPE needed to be a star in the SHL.
So just prior to the SHL draft I made a post telling the SHL GM’s not to draft me. I decided I just wanted to be an SMJHL star and stay capped at 350. I was told that I would still get drafted most likely to an SHL team but I felt good knowing that if someone did draft me they basically knew they were wasting a pick.

Edmonton ended up picking me 30th overall in the 3rd round of the S38 SHL Draft. The fun thing was they had the 1st overall pick that year and took my first ever manager @ligma with their first overall pick on his new player Connor Blackwell. Even though I wasn’t planning on playing for them I joined the discord to meet them and to talk to @ligma more. I had a lot of fun being drafted even though I wasn’t planning on playing in the SHL. That night in the discord I was talking to everyone and made a joke that I should say I was joking about my post asking not to be drafted and that I would actually be active and play in the SHL after all. I was really just having lots of fun and I thought it was fate that I ended up on a team with @ligma as he was the GM who drafted Willy Mack the 1st only to be screwed by me going inactive so fast. I was actually changing my mind…maybe it would actually be fun to be on Edmonton and to stick it out long term. So I made the post saying I was joking and I was now planning on pursuing a long career. Unfortunately some people thought I was doing some shady shit. I guess the idea was that maybe I made the post to purposely tank my draft stock, knowing all along I was going to play in the SHL so that the team I wanted could pick me with a later pick. This was totally not true, I really didn’t know or care about anyone on Edmonton at the time. Some people that have been in the league a while started treating me differently and thinking the worst.
The last thing I wanted was to be thought of as some scum bag that would do something like that. So I just said fuck it, I will just retire Dude Love. Edmonton lost a player but they drafted me assuming I wouldn’t play for them anyways so it was no big deal. Also Vancouver lost me but they signed me as a free agent so they didn’t lose anything. I was pretty bummed how the whole thing turned out but I figured that if I ever did have an SHL career I didn’t want it to start out like that so I moved on.

Now on to my most recent player, Daddy Mack.

I took a bit of a break after Dude Love but I knew that I would be back. This time I thought it was time for a winger as I had a Center and Defenseman already. My plan was that I would probably just be a 350 TPE capped SMJHL star but who knows…maybe this time I would play in the SHL?

I came back prior to the Season 39 SMJHL Draft and started writing some more articles and stuff to put my name back out there. At this point I didn’t really know many people but I figured I had made a pretty good player with Dude Love so I might get drafted pretty high this time. I had a few SMJHL managers reach out to me and it sounded like I was going to get picked really high! Either Halifax with their 3rd pick overall or Kelowna with their 4th overall pick. I started talking to both GM’s and @nour really wanted me on Kelowna but he said he thought Halifax might take me. I promised nour that if he drafted me I would stay in the SMJHL for 4 full seasons and that I would get to the 350 TPE cap by early in the 2nd season.  Nour and the Knights ended up drafting me and I was pretty pumped to be there. They were the other team I was really close to signing with on my last player Dude Love so I thought again it was fate for me to end up there.
I was pretty active at the beginning and was having fun with some of my team in the discord and everything. I ended up finding some of the drama shit going on in the SHL to be really stupid at the time and I was pretty surprised at how lame some people were to others on this site. I lost a lot of my love for the league over it and said screw that place and just ghosted. I left the site and stopped updating prior to the SHL draft that way the SHL GM’s would see I was inactive again and nobody would draft me with a high pick.  I did end up getting drafted by the Buffalo Stampede at 17th overall in the 2nd round. I did come back for a little and did a couple updates but I just wasn’t feeling it and went inactive. They eventually traded me to the Rage while I was inactive.

From there I just watched quietly the last few seasons as Daddy Mack and the Kelowna Knights won three straight Four Star Cups. Daddy Mack won a few awards in his career, top goal scorer and playoff MVP were really cool to win. The three cups was great but as I had long left the Kelowna Knights discord it didn’t feel as special as it could have if I was actually active and could celebrate with the boys. Winning that third championship in my 4th season really brought some excitement back and I thought now that my four seasons are done that I had promised nour when he drafted me…it was time to retire once again. I wasn’t sure if I should bother making another player at this point. I had got to experience everything now at the SMJHL level and honestly who could hope for a better junior career than what Daddy Mack had? But something was telling me I should just recreate anyways…
So literally like 1 hour before the most recent Season 43 SMJHL draft I made my new player…Willy Mack the 2nd.

I had not talked to anyone in a long time on the site and as the draft was just about to happen I assume most GM’s had their list sorted and had spoken to all the prospects they wanted to pick. I knew that since I was creating so late I would fall in the draft rankings. I was fine with not being a high draft pick this time around like Daddy Mack was. But I figured since Daddy Mack had such a great career I would probably still go fairly high up. I ended up getting drafted in the 3rd round 19th overall by the Montreal Militia. I was happy to be drafted anywhere after having such a bad reputation for going inactive on other teams and creating only 1 hour prior.

I was happy to get selected by a new team as now I have had 4 players and all 4 ended up on a different junior team. It’s cool to see what the locker rooms are like around the league and I am getting passed around like a blunt at this point.

So what’s my plan now for Willy Mack the 2nd? Well I will get 350 TPE capped for sure by early in the 2nd season to make sure that Montreal gets a good player from their draft pick. But will I continue passed 350 TPE this time around and stick around for an SHL career? A big part of me says yes. I really want to see what it’s like in the SHL. I haven’t had a chance to really be part of an SHL team and get to know more people. I think this time around I might actually do it. That being said…of course there’s still a good chance I go inactive and retire without touching the SHL. So I know most SHL GM’s are not going to want to touch me with a ten foot poll but that’s okay. I don’t care what pick I am drafted at I just want to go to a cool team. I feel I didn’t make a strong enough effort in the past to ignore some of the clowns on here and interact with more of the lovers.

I know there’s no chance anyone is actually reading all of this but it feels nice to write it out for myself. Let’s finish this up with some quick summaries of each player!

Willy Mack the 1st:

Drafted by St Louis Scarecrows
2nd round pick – Wasted by St Louis and I feel bad
Went inactive about 1 week after the draft
Somehow won a Challenge Cup with Winnipeg Jets playing a few minutes of ice time.

Dude Love:

Signed as a free agent by Vancouver Whalers
3rd round pick in the SHL wasted by Edmonton Blizzard (but they were warned)
Retired after 2 Seasons in the SMJHL

Daddy Mack:

Drafted by Kelowna Knights
1st round pick
2nd round pick in the SHL by the Buffalo Stampede, traded to the Rage.
Retired after 4 SMJHL Seasons with 3 straight Four Star Cups and some personal awards.

Willy Mack the 2nd:

Drafted by Montreal Militia
3rd round pick
SHL draft future??? Who knows?

So in closing, don't waste a pick.

I love you.

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

Can u stop terrorizing the J pls thanks

[Image: lebbish.gif]

09-22-2018, 07:48 PMLeppish Wrote: Can u stop terrorizing the J pls thanks

Seconded

[Image: Nowes.png]
[Image: S43WhalersChamps.png]

[Image: YztPk3T.png][Image: 6by0kBi.png]

your a great dude @Mack
would love to share an SHL locker room with ya someday Cool

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

09-22-2018, 08:53 PMMike Izzy Wrote: your a great dude @Mack
would love to share an SHL locker room with ya someday  Cool

Who wouldn't love to share an LR with you tbh.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

I hope you join us in San Francisco. Been great having you in Montreal.

Renegades  raiders  Finland

to be fair you told us you wanted to be a career smjhl'er, not retire one season later.
that being said I'd take a chance on you every draft. you're a fantastic locker room presence and overall just a great dude.
best of luck in the draft!

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

dude, c'mon. let's stick around until the big boy league!

[Image: ontanis.gif]

[Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: YztPk3T.png]
thanks to @Wasty, @Bruins10, @Carpy48 and @iRockstar for the sigs!

Daddy