Create Account

Raino Kyllönen - Killing The Competition?
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 03:01 PM by CKT. Edit Reason: Amendment )

Article Word Count: 970
(x2 Bonus Week Article)

RAINO KYLLÖNEN - KILLING THE COMPETITION?

[Image: 7dnG9Iu.png]

There is nothing unassuming or reserved about Finnish SMJHL draft hopeful Raino Kyllönen - what you see is what you get, typical Finnish bluntness. The 18 year old playmaking center out of Tampere, Finland, standing at 6’2” and weighing 215lbs has impressed his whole career, with his unselfish play and game breaking vision. Now he looks to bring those talents to the SMJHL. With such a large draft class this season it’d almost be futile to make a prediction on where the Finn would go, but speaking to Kyllönen, it’s clear that doesn’t matter much to him.

“I don’t care where I am taken in the draft,” he began, speaking to reporters at an Under 18 tournament earlier in the year, “I know a couple of years later people will be talking about me like I was the first overall, so a number doesn’t matter to me right now. Just give me the puck, and let me play.”

It’s easy to mistake confidence for arrogance, especially in a young man such as Kyllönen, but it’s important to note that the center has broken assist records at every level he’s played in. The young star is an assist machine, and if paired with a potent sniper Raino Kyllönen could be lethal at the SMJHL level. However, the side of Kyllönen’s game that perhaps goes under the radar are his defensive smarts. The young center, whilst preferring to rack up the points, is a very responsible center, understanding that any attack truly does start in your own defensive zone. Kyllönen covers his man well, looks to support his defensemen on the breakout and prides himself on being an ardent backchecker. Naturally, these are all traits that will be very attractive to any prospective suitors for Raino. 

“I have a long way to go before I become the player I want to be, this is where the SMJHL will help me of course. Everybody wants to be a star, they want to win a cup, all of that is very nice and I want it too, but I need to be challenged to become a better person, a better player. Just give me the tools to work on my game and you’re not going to regret it. I know I’m already good, but I have to be great.” 

One thing that Kyllönen will have to get used to off the bat is that the team he eventually gets drafted to simply won’t run through him anymore, as they have at all the previous levels he’s played at. Excelling in all three facets of the game, even strength, the power play and the penalty kill, Raino is the quintessential center - at the SMJHL level, however, this may not be the case. It’s a stark jump in competition, despite this though, it’s one that the center says he’s ready for. 

“I’ve worked my whole life to get here. I don’t care what I have to do to be successful in this league, and in the future in the SHL. If you want me to run the power play I will do it, if you want me on the PK I’ll do it. In a perfect world I do everything, but I know the game, I know there are a lot of prospects in this draft and a lot of good players that are already in the SMJHL. The work has already begun, and I don’t expect anything from any of these teams. Every single day, every single practice, I’ll prove myself to them. I’ve done that every day of my life, and I will continue to do that. I'm ready to keep doing it.”

Kyllönen’s excellent puck handling abilities are vital in gaining zone entries for his team be that even strength or on the power play, and it’s certainly a skill that he’ll look to be improving on throughout his career in the juniors. Furthermore, as a young centerman, face offs are another part of the game in which Raino is proficient in, having been used for key draws in both the offensive and defensive zones. It's an extra part of the game that has to be continually worked on for a centerman, but taking care of the 'little things' is an asset that the Finnish center has excelled in throughout his young career so far.

As with any young prospect, though, it’s obvious that there is room for improvement in certain parts of Kyllönen’s game. His skating, for example, is one area in which he’d look to improve. The fundamentals are there, but his speed perhaps is something that is left a little lacking. This perceived weakness hasn’t particularly been too apparent in his career so far, the Finn’s sharp hockey IQ and excellent vision having more than made up for his lack of speed, but it is certainly something that SMJHL GM’s will be keeping an eye on. Another less impressive part of his game is his physical play, or perhaps, lack thereof. Kyllönen is not particularly a fighter, and he doesn’t throw many hits - instead preferring to strip the puck from his opponents where and when possible, a skill he’s become very good at as his puck handling abilities become even greater.

Obviously, Raino Kyllönen is a more than ready SMJHL prospect. His decision making, skilful play and fantastic vision are tools that any player in any league would absolutely love to have. He’s highly intelligent on the ice, he lives the right way off of it, and really is an ‘all situations’ type player. Any team would be lucky to have him, but he’s not the finished product - however, if you develop the young center the right way, help him work on his weaknesses whilst bolstering his strengths? We could be dealing with the next Finnish phenom.

“I don’t care where I am taken in the draft,” he began, speaking to reporters at an Under 18 tournament earlier in the year, “I know a couple of years later people will be talking about me like I was the first overall, so a number doesn’t matter to me right now. Just give me the puck, and let me play.”

Thats a great attitude. +1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Hell yeah! A Tappara player!

You got a good attitude as izzy said. You'll fit in nicely here!

RETIRED

Finland Finland Finland

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]