Create Account

S47 Draft - SMJHL Draft Position Comparison
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019, 11:03 PM by Otrebor13.)

With the SHL Draft in the back of people’s minds and the focus shifting to the SHL season which is just around the corner, I figured I would go back and revisit the draft and do a little analysis of my own. I wanted to do this analysis for a while but due to work and circumstances outside of the league I haven’t been able to get around to it. So yes, this is going to look like a lot of other articles that have been posted, but I wanted to do it and I need the cash so I’m doing it anyways.

Analyzing the draft today I’m going to look at the picks of the draft, look at the movement they had in comparison to their SMJHL draft position, highlight the biggest movers and then quickly look at the SMJHL teams and see how many of their eligible rookies were drafted. I am not going to write about every single player, rather I will only do the first 2 rounds (with a couple of others in rounds 3-5). I am going to give my thoughts on the picks and what I think of the person and/or player. So, for an article that’s been done over 50 times this past week, let’s write another one!

Following the player’s name it will be SMJHL Draft Position - Movement

Round 1

1. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Jax Duggan – 8th Overall - +7
The first pick is my teammate Jax Duggan. Jax has been a great player and an even better teammate. Although we may bug each other, any team would be lucky to have him. Very active in the locker room, constantly updating and always willing to help. Very deserving of the 1st overall pick and the Jets have got themselves a franchise player to build their blueline around.
2. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Gunnar Söderberg – 5th Overall - +3
At #2 we have Söderberg, who, leading up to the draft, many had going at the #1 spot to the Winnipeg Jets. The Barracuda will gladly make this pick and start their quest at stockpiling active players with a quality member. Always active, earning TPE like there’s no tomorrow and a great person, Tampa Bay is lucky to have her at 2nd overall.
3. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Corey Kennedy – 2nd Overall - -1
We have our first player to drop compared to their SMJHL draft position (granted, not by much). Chicago was tight lipped all day, not knowing what they were going to do. I don’t know much about Kennedy, but I know he’s active on Discord. To go 3rd overall, you must be doing something right, and something tells me this is a pick the Syndicate will reap the rewards of for a long time.
4. pride San Francisco Pride - Filip Zadina – 10th Overall - +6
For some reason Zadina wasn’t talked too much about leading up to draft night. Shocking when you consider he was leading the S47 class in TPE. The Pride had their eye on Zadina and probably weren’t certain he would fall to them at 4. Boy are they smiling! A long time member with a proven track record, he should be at the top of the TPE list in his class for a while.
5. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Espen Knutsen Jr – 9th Overall - +4
The second pick of the draft for the Barracuda and they get another extremely active user in Randominoe. I’ve had nothing but good encounters with him (or her – I see you Betty White), and I’m sure he’s going to bring some character to the Barracuda.
6. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Tony Ford – 6th Overall – 0
Our first non-mover. What he says is the epitome of consistency continues on draft day. I would have to agree with him being consistent, as he didn’t get a single point in 23 games. You have to admire that perseverance! He’s very active and very vocal (literally, he’s in almost every thread. If you don’t have a dose of Ford in your thread, you’re doing something wrong), so I foresee a top line defender for the Platoon with this pick.
7. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Julio Tokolosh – 14th Overall - +7
The Edmonton Blizzard went ahead and drafted a skating cow. I don’t mean that to be offensive, I mean he’s literally a cow that plays hockey. Put this guy in front of the net, get him in on the forecheck, do anything and he’ll scare the crap out of anyone on the ice. I can guarantee you one thing: He will be the best cow hockey has ever seen.
8. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Cullen Gray – 17th Overall - +9
Another one of my teammates and an excellent pick. Lead all rookies in scoring playing on the Whalers’ top line. While I’m sure people think he was riding the likes of Cannellini and Mikulak, I disagree. He was an equal contributor to that line and drove offense when the lines were mixed up. Tampa Bay gets another quality pick in the 1st round.
9. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Eko van Otter – 29th Overall - +20
Our second animal hockey player gets drafted. The Otter goes to the Wolfpack (ironic?). He gave me a positive rep on one of my posts and complimented me on one of his, so he’s cool in my books. The Wolfpack even traded up to get him. They know the slipperiness that comes with a skating Otter.
10. Specters New Orleans Specters - Charlie Serpe – 15th Overall - +5
Charlie Serpe, or should I say serpent? I don’t know him well, and I’m sure he’s a great guy, but when I heard he was asking for 7Mil a season without playing a single game… Yikes! I’m not sure if that was a joke, but that just doesn’t sit well with me (or a lot of teams, I’m sure). I hope it was a joke and I’m just judging him poorly.
11.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Sami Raanta – 16th Overall - +5
My German teammate. He tries so hard to speak English in his podcasts, I hope you all listen to them. While he lives in Germany so he’s not always online with all of us, Sami is a great guy and will have a great career in the SHL. The Steelhawks are very lucky to have him.
12. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Noah Gallagher – Undrafted – N/A
We have our first undrafted free agent get selected in the draft! Noah Gallagher, AKA Fever, has been around the league a very long time. He was around way back when I was in the SHL the first time, and he consistently made successful players. Not sure what the secret is, but if his track record has any weight, the Jets are getting themselves a perennial all star.
13. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Austin Roenick – 11th Overall - -2
This is a guy I really don’t know much about, so I’ll keep it short. His drop compared to his SMJHL draft position doesn’t have anything to say about him, but about the strength of this draft class. I know he’s active, so he’ll go on to have a very successful career.
14. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Akashi SixNine – 34th Overall - +20
The Barracuda’s last pick of the 1st round (finally) is another recreate. Many didn’t believe he would go this high, but Tampa bay knows what they’re getting in FourFour, so I’m confident in their scouting. With this pick rounding out the first wave of picks, I would say the Barracuda must be extremely pleased how things went.
15. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Theo Morgan – Undrafted – N/A
Oh look, it’s me! Probably a surprise to some that I went this high as my TPE total was not as high as my fellow draftees, I’m relatively unknown (unless you were around between S3 – S23), and I had a pretty terrible season, but Wasty knows who I am, which is probably why he took me. I have absolutely no problem riding off of the success of my past players. After all, it got me drafted in the 1st round ?
16. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Slap McShotty – 43rd Overall - +27
Our final pick of the first round is one that I do not know much about. I saw his name for the first time in people’s mock drafts and really wasn’t sure who he was. As I don’t know him, I’ll assume he’s very active, constantly updating and getting better due to the large jump in his draft position.

Round 2

17.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Aaron Wilson – 37th Overall - +20
Our third player to jump up 20 spots. Wilson is one of Vancouver’s many active rookies and has made quite the name for himself in the stats department (as well as a nice looking bank account). His stats analysis and motivation have gotten him drafted this high and I really think it’s a great pick. Hamilton walks away with another Whaler and another stud.
18. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Lallo Selman – Undrafted – N/A
Another recreate who came back after a long hiatus. Donini contemplated coming back, unsure if he had the time to dedicate to the league. Just a couple of short months later he’s Co-GM of Team Canada’s WJC team (who scratched me) and get’s drafted 18th overall. Not bad…
19. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Martin Westbroek – 23rd Overall - +4
Another member I recognize from way back when, JNH is a great guy who’s also had a lot of success. He dropped much further than I would have expected, but Chicago is definitely the one laughing getting him here.
20. pride San Francisco Pride - Jaguar Johnson – 32nd Overall - +12
While yet to be confirmed, we have another animal in this draft class. We’ve gone from cow to otter and now jaguar. A very interesting mix of creatures this season. Not too sure how a Jaguar is going to fit in with the Lions that are the Pride, but I’m looking forward to seeing the assimilation.
21. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Joseph Laraque – 12th Overall - -9
Laraque had a lot of hype around him in his first SMJHL season, as he came out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Contributing greatly to Halifax’s success in the regular season. I don’t know him too much, but his production in the sim does not go unnoticed.
22. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Nicolaj Muller – Undrafted – N/A
Buffalo goes with yet another undrafted recreate. They must have had a very specific game plan going in to the draft (I wonder if I was on their draft list too, come to think of it). Another very active recreate who is sure to continue putting everything he has into this league.
23. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Marc Hagan – 4th Overall - -19
To me, this was by far the biggest surprise of the draft. Hagan not only dropped 19 spots from his SMJHL draft position, but he’s the SMJHL simmer. That means he makes 10M per season from the job and gets free PTs. He will always have cash to train and will never miss a PT. How he managed to drop this far baffles me.
24. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Miika Salo – 20th Overall - -4
Tampa Bay shows up again, this time selecting a defenseman in Salo. I would be lying if I said I knew anything about Salo, but I do know – mostly from hearing everyone else talk about it – that Tampa Bay needed defense. Well, they got one here, let’s see if he pans out.
25. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz – 50th Overall - +25
The man with the most interesting name in his class. I have never once attempted to say this name, and I don’t think I ever will. I’ll just call him Prism. I have never spoken to him, but he is very vocal, and not in a bad way. Always active and improving, I think Prism is going to be an excellent pick up for the Wolfpack.
26. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Thomas Bathory – 3rd Overall - -23
The drop in Bathory’s position is unwarranted, as he is the Panthers’ Co-GM, so he automatically gets drafted in the 2nd round. Nothing to say here except for the fact that he’s active and would probably be a top 5 pick had he not been property of LA.
27.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Dale Miller – Undrafted – N/A
Steal. Dale joined late but quickly made a name for himself being active on discord and on the main boards. He and Wilson are Vancouver’s resident statisticians, and he completes the trifecta of Whalers heading to Hamilton.
28. Stars Toronto North Stars - Harry Carpet – 41st Overall - +13
The first goalie of the draft taken. His name gives me a chuckle, so he’s cool in my books. Goalies are tough to judge, but I’ve seen Carpet posting around the forum, making graphics and it all points to dedication and wanting to improve.
29. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Juulius Smonk – 7th Overall - -22
This is a large drop, which I’m not too sure why. I don’t know much about Smonk, but he was selected early in the SMJHL draft, which could only mean he’s been very active when he joined. Maybe his activity dropped a little, but I think the potential to be active is there. The Jets walk away with another quality pick.
30. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Borůvka Banananák – 19th Overall - -11
Another interesting name in this draft class. Another user I don’t really know much about, but his name makes me think of a minion from the movie despicable me, but if they were Russian. Solely because of this I hope his player is successful.
31. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Seemu Telanne – 13th Overall - -18
My newest teammate. Looking forward to getting to know him. He’s not quite Teemu Selanne, but we could only hope he plays like him. 72 goals in his rookie season with the big club? I think I would put money on it.
32. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Josh Driver – Undrafted – N/A
Only fitting to end off the 2nd round with another undrafted free agent. This class has a lot of undrafted free agents who many believe will go on to do great things, but let’s hope they’re right. Driver may be starting behind the 8 ball TPE wise, but he’s putting the work in to be very good, so we’ll have to watch his progression.

Round 3
33. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Savoli Tankovic – 60th overall - +27
34. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Gunnar Petrov – 33rd Overall - -1
35. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Joe Ackroyd – 27th Overall - -8
36. pride San Francisco Pride - Vadim Malichov – 18th Overall - -18
37. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Jay Boom’Boom – 51st Overall - +14
38. Renegades Texas Renegades - Alexander Andersson-Grande – 26th Overall - -12
39. pride San Francisco Pride - Spencer MacLean – 39th Overall - 0
40. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Wibbly McButternutz – 22nd Overall - -18
41. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Esa Parmborg – 1st Overall - -40
42. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Jules L'éclair – 31st Overall - -11
43.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Jake Peralta – 30th Overall - -13
44. Stars Toronto North Stars - Mattie Brunton – 45th Overall - +1
45. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Igor Volkov – Undrafted – N/A
46. Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS
47. Specters New Orleans Specters - PASS
48. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS

Round 4

49. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Boris Poroshenko – Undrafted – N/A
50. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Khan Smed – Undrafted – N/A
51. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Ender Zavala – 21st Overall - -30
52. pride San Francisco Pride - PASS
53. Renegades Texas Renegades - Josef Kubinec – Undrafted – N/A
54. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - PASS
55. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS
56. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - PASS
57. Dragons Calgary Dragons - PASS
58. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - PASS
59.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS
60. Stars Toronto North Stars - Ja'Aj Coitus-Wagg – 44th Overall - -16
61. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - PASS
62. Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS
63. Specters New Orleans Specters - PASS
64. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS

Round 5

65. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - PASS
66. Jets Winnipeg Jets - PASS
67. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Isaac Yamada – 25th Overall - -42
68. pride San Francisco Pride - PASS
69. Renegades Texas Renegades - PASS
70. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - PASS
71. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS
72. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - PASS
73. Dragons Calgary Dragons - PASS
74. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - PASS
75. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS
76. Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS
77. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - PASS
78. Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS
79. Specters New Orleans Specters - PASS
80. Stampede Buffalo Stampede – PASS

BIGGEST RISERS
Slap McShotty - +27
Savoli Tankovic - +27
Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz - +25

BIGGEST FALLERS*
Isaac Yamada - -42
Ender Zavala - -30
Juulius Smonk - -22

*I have excluded both Esa Parmborg and Thomas Bathory from this category as they are auto-drafted to their respective SHL teams. Had they not been in a management position, they would surely be picked in the top 5.

Now that we’ve taken a look at the draftees, let’s take a quick look at the SMJHL teams and see just how many of their draft eligible players got selected.

Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws: 6/7 Drafted – 85.7%
Armada Anchorage Armada: 3/6 Drafted – 50%
Raptors Colorado Raptors: 5/8 Drafted – 62.5%
Falcons Detroit Falcons: 6/11 Drafted – 54.5%
raiders Halifax Raiders: 5/8 Drafted – 62.5%
Knights Kelowna Knights: 3/4 Drafted – 75%
Lions Lethbridge Lions: 6/6 Drafted – 100%
Militia Montreal Militia: 1/3 Drafted – 33.3%
Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows: 7/8 Drafted – 87.5%
Whalers Vancouver Whalers: 8/10 Drafted – 80%

Based on the above statistics, we can see that the Lethbridge Lions have done a tremendous job at keeping their players motivated and active, as they are the only team who had all of their draft eligible rookies get drafted in to the SMJHL. On the flip side, the Montreal Militia come in at the bottom, with a measly 33.3%. Only Marc Hagan got drafted out of Montreal, which means Montreal has to not only bring in more players, but they also need to do a better job at keeping these players motivated.

Well, there you have it. My analysis of the S47 SHL Draft Class. I know it’s similar to a lot of articles already written, but as I mentioned I wanted to do it and I need the cash. If you are still here reading all of this, I appreciate you.

2x Media, 3142 Words

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

Awww <3

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

I having many nickname but no is prism. Can calling me PB aka pussy blaster aka kielbasa kock. You picking what liking more

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

04-18-2019, 12:54 AMLunatyck Wrote: I having many nickname but no is prism. Can calling me PB aka pussy blaster aka kielbasa kock. You picking what liking more

What about "that poor sob who ended up on NEW"?

Lions

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

How nice of you to notice I'm in every thread. Don't worry I'm in this one too.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

04-18-2019, 12:54 AMLunatyck Wrote: I having many nickname but no is prism. Can calling me PB aka pussy blaster aka kielbasa kock. You picking what liking more

I appreciate the suggestions. Not saying I'll use them, but I appreciate it.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

Great article!
Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

04-18-2019, 01:00 AMSecondSucks22 Wrote:

What about "that poor sob who ended up on NEW"?

Keeping this behavior up and you receiving Pavel Pivonka treatment

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

04-18-2019, 02:12 PMLunatyck Wrote:
04-18-2019, 01:00 AMSecondSucks22 Wrote: What about "that poor sob who ended up on NEW"?

Keeping this behavior up and you receiving Pavel Pivonka treatment

Don't threaten me with a good time bb