Create Account

S47 x2 Media Montreal Gazette Exclusive!
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 10:18 AM by PenKnight.)

This is my first article on the site! 
(Unsure about word count as I got conflicting reports 2715 not counting the image) 

[Image: O6JVu0X.jpg]

Jim Jabroni has learned that the Montreal Militia from the SMJHL has selected Zarley Zalapski as their 27th pick for the Entry Draft of Season 47! We have confirmation, from a reliable source, that the news came as a surprise to Zarley Zalapski as he was not expecting to be drafted so soon or this year. As a matter of fact he was off fishing without any outside world influence. He left his cell phone at home and was enjoying a nice day at the lake trying to hook a fish or two. Unfortunately he was skunked once again at the lake without even a nibble. So who is this kid and where did he come from? We put our own, Jim Jabroni, on the mission of finding out as we all are excited for another season to the SMJHL and we know our readers want to learn everything they can about this possible talent.
Keep reading below as we have all the information about Zarley Zalapski's Background and Player Profile. Not to mention a very personal one on one exclusive question and answer interview!

Background

Zarley Zalapski was born in Kazan, Russia. Kazan is a city in southwest Russia, on the banks of the Volga and Kazanka rivers. The capital of the Republic of Tatarstan, a semi-autonomous region, it's known for the centuries-old Kazan Kremlin, a fortified citadel containing museums and sacred sites. Kremlin landmarks include the tiered Tower of Soyembika, the blue-and-gold domed Annunciation Cathedral and the vast, colorful Kul Sharif Mosque.

This is one of the most unusual cities in Russia, where the Muslim and Christian cultures are closely intertwined. Its main attractions are the "Kul-Sharif" Mosque and the Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, which stand side by side in the magnificent Kazan Kremlin. The singer Feodor Chaliapin, and Gala, Salvador Dali’s muse were born here and the revolution leader Vladimir Lenin studied here. The Kazan "Ak Bars" is one of the strongest clubs in the KHL, which in recent years became champions twice. Many experts say that it is in the likeness of "Ak Bars" that the coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov who previously worked in Kazan sculpts the Russian national team. Unlike Slava Bykov he will try to beat the Americans and the Canadians through strict playing defense.

In 2013, the city became world famous due to the fall of the meteorite and the locals’ immovable reaction to this natural phenomenon. The severity of the Chelyabinsk residents has become a popular meme in Russia. The city has many industries, including the production of agricultural machinery. That is why the local team is called "Tractor”, whose main star Yevgeny Kuznetsov was drafted by the “Washington.” Last year they still had Valery Nichushkin, but he left for the "Dallas" where he will possibly be the best NHL newcomer this season. If you find yourself in Chelyabinsk, be sure to take a trip to Arkaim. This ancient settlement is called the Russian Stonehenge and the birthplace of Zoroaster.

One of Zarley's dreams has been to play in the KHL for the Ak Bars but he never imagined that one day he would actually play for the SMJHL and perhaps onto the best league in the world the SHL. This would be above and beyond any dream that he or his friends and family could of every imagined. We have learned that he was floored at the initial contract of 3 Million Dollars! This is a lot of Russian Rubles (160,349,100 Rubles to be exact)

Player Profile

Defense has always been the name of the game for Zarley as his favorite saying has been: offense sells tickets... Defense Wins Championships! We asked him if he knew who coined that phrase and to our surprise he did! It was impressive that he was familiar with a football coach from the 1930's through the 1980's but he said that he has always loved the American Football game and history.

We talked to his long time mentor and coach for a local league that we all would consider a Beer League and this is what they had to say about Zarley. We think we translated the Russian correctly but you never know if something got lost. Zarley Zalapski is a puck-moving, minutes-munching defenseman, Zalapski can easily work both ends of the ice. It appears that Zarley is what is considered an offensive defenseman. He told our own Jim Jabroni that he tries to learn from the all time greats and one of his favorite players has always been Paul Coffey.

Zarley says that he has always worked hard and believes in conditioning. He noted that conditioning is what won the Gold Medal against the Soviet Union for the USA in 1980. Although he feels the pain from that defeat for his countrymen he says that he uses it as a learning experience and to drive him when he gets tired or feels like giving up. He not only is constantly working on his endurance but he has a strict regiment of diet and juicing. He completely believes in Juicing and Juice Fasting.

Trying to compare Zarley to another player is difficult as we do not have much tape on him. Most of it is word of mouth. One of his hometown friends says that in his opinion he is very much like a younger Kris Letang. It appears that Zarley would rather avoid any type of fighting, stating that "You can't help your team if your in the box" and he believes that the most important thing is to do what helps your team win compared to and type of selfish behavior. This does not mean that he won't mix it up but he would rather pass the puck that leads to a goal, score from the blue line through traffic, create a turnover rather than just having 30 seconds of glory. He also made it clear that "when you get involved in a fight you run the risk of getting injured which doesn't help anyone" and he believes in the policeman or enforcer for the game. "Bring back the goon so your best players don't get injured from cheap shots" is basically the idea of his mentality. "When you have a policeman on your team the other team tends to play things more straight" and Zarley thinks it is better to leave the fisticuffs to the professionals.

Our reporter asked Zarley if he felt he had any weakness to his game? He basically told us that he felt "you always have room for improvement in your game no matter who you are." He mentioned that he needs to be better against the boards and checking his opponents. Zarley feels that using the poke check and his long reach is easier for his style of defense but would like to get better at checking when the opportunity presents itself. "The main thing is to keep your head up and be aware of what is going on in your corner of the ice. He also stated that he doesn't agree with the stretch pass of today's game. He feels that it is a risky play and why give up the control of the puck when you have it? Make the other team work for that puck." Although everyone likes to dump it in these days Zarley is more of an old school type of player who likes to skate the puck up the ice and into the zone. Although we here at the Gazette agree with this idea we are very interested in seeing how it works in today's game and with the SMJHL. Time will tell and we are excited to see how things go.

The Exclusive Interview

The Montreal Gazette's very own Jim Jabroni got to sit down and talk with Zarley Zalapski on a one to one asking some hard nosed and fluffed questions: 

Q: So you were fishing during the SMJHL S47 Draft??

A: "Yes. I think my family and I had a problem with the translation of our two languages. It seems that I was not informed that I was a prospect or could even be considered for this seasons draft let alone the draft for that league! Of course I was happier than a pig in slop when I heard the news. It was an amazing boost since I didn't catch any fish that day. Of course I always have believed that a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work but now that my work will be in the SMJHL I may have to reconsider this saying."

Q: Are you worried about being so far away from your home, friends and family?

A: "Absolutely. This is the first time I will actually have to be away from the only place that I have ever known. Even though I am excited, a part of me is already homesick. This does not mean that I won't be able to adjust. I think I will fit in just fine to my new surroundings. I think the worst part is having to learn the language but I tend to be a quick learner and all those cowboy movies I have watched over the years have really helped. I have been told it is much easier to pick up on the language if you are constantly using it and hearing it on a daily basis."

Q: How do you think you can help the Montreal Militia?

A: Defense... Of course! (We both had a good laugh)

Q: How long do you think it will take you to actually see some ice time?

A: "Well, you know, that isn't exactly up to me. I hope to be the first one on and the last one off the ice. Now that I actually am drafted and have a home I feel that I need to get more serious about my game, work ethic and conditioning. This has really showed me that all the hard work you put into something can and will pay off one day. It is time to put the fishing rods away and only eat, breath, sleep and dream hockey. I need to keep things in perspective and only do what I am capable of doing on the ice. I don't want to be something I am not. I want to focus on what I do well and improve or enhance those attributes. I think I will spend ten times the amount training and getting PT points compared to ice time. One thing you can not do in professional sports is fake it. You either have a slap shot or you don't. You can either pass the puck or you can't. The big thing with professional hockey is skating backwards. If you can't do that you have no chance. For me I learned how to skate backwards before going forward. My father was pretty keen on that but I am not so sure it was to be a better hockey player. I think he was having a good laugh at watching me fall down all the time at 3 years old." (We both had another good laugh)

Q: How has the 3 million dollar salary changed your life?

A: "I haven't seen the first check just yet. I hope it is real but I will feel better once the money starts rolling in. This isn't for me though. I want to give it to my mother and father who really need it more so than I do. I am hoping that the team provides lodging and food which will help cut down on my living costs. I don't really care about the money although I am not going to refuse it... I just mean that I just want to play hockey and enjoy playing the game and not worry about how much I am getting paid or not getting paid. As long as I have some food and a place to sleep I will be fine. I can always shower in the locker room, no? I trust my father and mother and they will know what to do with the rubels. hopefully buy some more bread and la vita la gotta... this is what we call Vodka. It's an inside joke." (We just keep laughing. This Zarley Zalapski is a bit of a nut but in a good way)

Q: If the KHL came calling and you could go, would you?

A: "This is one difficult question, no? You kinda ambushed me with this one. In all seriousness though, they had their chance for the last two years so I don't think I would go if asked today or tomorrow. I have always dreamed of playing for my home town in the KHL but now that the SMJHL has come calling I really need to focus and dedicate myself to the organization. If they move me up to the SHL that will be fine because they own me after signing that piece of paper and I like to fulfill my obligations or agreements. You know in my country your word is your bond and it is very serious thing to give away. You will bring great shame on yourself and your family if you break it so I look forward to giving everything I have to the Militia."

Q: Do you know anything about Canada?

A: "I know that they are basically the farm for growing hockey players. I think they contribute to 75% of players worldwide. This doesn't mean that Russia should be taken lightly on this topic though. I do believe we grow hockey players just as good but we don't seem to create them in the same volume as the Canadians. Someone told me they like mayo on their french fries which I find interesting. Of course someone also told me that french fries are not French so I really am lost. I think I will just stick to learning hockey and the right way to play. Try to get stronger and more active and move up in the ranks if possible. Life is funny. You never know what is going to happen next. One day you are fishing and the next day you are playing in the SMJHL. Next thing you know you have a reporter sitting down in your living room asking you a bunch of questions." (We laughed once again)

Last Question: It seems like you are hinting at ending this interview, so just one more question. Will you promise to give myself and the Montreal Gazette the next exclusive and perhaps all of your future Media dealing with the Montreal Militia?

A: "Well I don't mind talking to you Jim and I think this has been a good interview. Things may change when the season starts and I am not sure what my schedule will be like. I tell you what! If you have time and will run with me at 4 in the morning I would be happy to answer more of your questions. You will have to get into my juicing a bit as well and we can work on getting you back into shape since it seems you could lose a pound or two. I'd be happy to help you and you can get another story for your paper. I can promise you the next exclusive but not every exposure for media. Heck, we don't even know if I can make it but I wouldn't bet against me Mr. Jabroni." 

Conclusion

I have to admit that this was one of my favorite stories and interviews in a long time and deep down in my heart I am really rooting for this Russian based player. I can not say enough at how easy it is to talk to Zarley and his family welcomed me in with open arms. I got to watch a few old black and white tapes of this kid and I can vouch that he is gonna be something special and move up fast. I wouldn't bet against him and I wouldn't doubt that he makes it to the SHL very soon one of these days. This is Jim Jabroni reporting for the Montreal Gazette and as always folks... please remember to drill the hole in the ice before you start ice fishing!

Good read!
+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 10:18 AM by PenKnight.)

04-19-2019, 09:06 PMMike Izzy Wrote: Good read!
+1

Hey... Thanks!
As a rookie I have no idea if this was acceptable.
Anyways... figured I'd post it to get some cash to buy equipment as I am broke.
Looking forward to learning how to improve my player and getting some ice time in the Juniors!
Found a few typos and corrected them that is why the editing.

The formatting on half of this article make it difficult to read (only to the point you have to highlight it.) [Background to the conclusion is all formatted dark] Good article though, go Militia

04-20-2019, 11:51 AMObsidian311 Wrote: The formatting on half of this article make it difficult to read (only to the point you have to highlight it.)  [Background to the conclusion is all formatted dark] Good article though, go Militia

Since I am so new I am not sure that I understand exactly about the format or formatting.
Is it something that I did or can change on my end?
I checked the thread on another computer and my cell phone.
Everything seemed fine when I looked it over.
I didn't see any "dark" problem.
If anyone has advice on how to fix any problem with my post I would appreciate it.
I am in the learning process but I will get it eventually.

04-20-2019, 07:59 PMPenKnight Wrote:
04-20-2019, 11:51 AMObsidian311 Wrote: The formatting on half of this article make it difficult to read (only to the point you have to highlight it.)  [Background to the conclusion is all formatted dark] Good article though, go Militia

Since I am so new I am not sure that I understand exactly about the format or formatting.
Is it something that I did or can change on my end?
I checked the thread on another computer and my cell phone.
Everything seemed fine when I looked it over.
I didn't see any "dark" problem.
If anyone has advice on how to fix any problem with my post I would appreciate it.
I am in the learning process but I will get it eventually.

If I had you on discord I'd send you screenshots. There are a couple themes to the forums that can be selected at the bottom of the site. Dark changes the forums to a darker shade and as such is easier on the eyes. With that comes text formatting issues sometimes. All you have to do is highlight the effected areas in a full edit and click remove formatting.

Nice job my man, love it!

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]