Create Account

RECAP - Preview of S48 SMJHL Prospect Showcase
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 07:37 PM by Zach.)

Word count: 1055
Ready for grading
2x SMJHL Bonus
[Image: U2whLjP.png]
As the draft of Season 48 for the SHL concludes, and SMJHL's nears, the Season 48 SMJHL Prospect Showcase is underway in sunny Anaheim, California! Why here? Who knows, the ice almost looks like a swimming pool! Let's take a look at each present team's active rosters.

Starting with the Blazers: Jan Zacha, Wet Cucumber, ZZ Sidney Crosby, Jake Primeau, Elijah Jones, Theodore Sober, Jean-Francois Mayer, ZZ Selena Gomez, ZZ Cade van Raaphorst, ZZ Brad Smith, ZZ Blaze It, ZZ Alex Roesner, ZZ Bingham, ZZ Cheech, ZZ Blade, ZZ Chris Donovan, Henrik Sapotchik, Noah Andros, ZZ Michael Jordan and in goal is Pucky Stops and ZZ Queen Elizabeth.

For the Stingrays: Conor Tanner, Rev Maynard, ZZ Jingle Heimer-Schmidt, Sterling Slaughter, Cupa Kaako, Martin Kakko, Jared Lammi. On defense they have: ZZ Rydery Garnsey, ZZ A.J. Baretto, ZZ Amiboshi, ZZ Amethyst, ZZ Angelica Pickles, ZZ Bait, ZZ Atlas, ZZ Tim Kelly, ZZ Alex Woodall, ZZ Timmy Monahan, Fredrik Jensen, Derek Bohne and in goal: Rick Sanchez and ZZ Ugly Goalie.

For the Vipers: Gotta Love Honors Bio, Scott Miller, ZZ Flava Flav, Jagger Fouquette, Arthur Dayne, Anthony Archer, Ricky Spanish, ZZ Margaret Thatcher, ZZ Dan Bucaro, ZZ Hunter Sells, ZZ Edipus, ZZ Drew Supinski, ZZ Big Fish, ZZ Jack Rowlett, ZZ Large McBigHuge, ZZ Bitsy, Prince Devitt, Jimmy Van Johns and in goal: Knox Booth and ZZ Algea

Lastly, for the Wranglers: Bo Kane, Mike Richard, ZZ John Jacob, Skao Anazibf, Cody, Hugh Jazz, Vesa Seikola, ZZ Jason Joseph, ZZ Tiger Woods, ZZ Patrick Spencer, ZZ Peter Parkah, ZZ Tommy Wright, ZZ John McClaine, ZZ Joey Froccaro, ZZ Boomer, ZZ Pumba, Noah Brusky, Brennan Griggs, ZZ Megan Foxhole and in goal: Nolan McMahon and ZZ Fog Horn Leg Horn.

Expected starting lineups for each team:

Blazers
Elijah Jones - Jan Zacha - Jake Primeau
Henrik Sapotchik - Noah Andros
Pucky Stopz

Stingrays
Cupa Kaako - Conor Tanner - Jared Lammi
Derek Bohne - Fredrik Jense
Rick Sanchez

Vipers
Anthony Archer - Gotta Love Honors Bio - Arthur Dayne
Jimmy Van Johns - Prince Devitt
Knox Booth

Wranglers
Cody - Bo Kane - Hugh Jazz
Brennan Griggs - Noah Brusky
Nolan McMahon

I caught up with Blazers forward and former Anchorage Armada pickup, Elijah Jones, before he jumps into this week's showcase matchups:

How much of a difference did it make obtaining playoff experience in juniors going into this showcase?
Gaining that experience with Anchorage was huge. The playoffs are high stakes, and there’s a lot of pressure to go immediately into the playoffs for your first juniors game. I picked up a goal along the way and showed everyone that I’m here as a serious prospect in the SMJHL. I have those playoff games as experience and it gives me an edge over these guys who haven’t played any SMJHL games yet. I’m doing alright in the showcase so far, and I’m glad the coaches have put trust in me. This really helps with demonstrating my abilities and how I’m almost like a man among boys in this draft class.

What professional player would you most compare yourself to?
I’m like a Jeff Skinner. Skinner has amazing skating and scoring ability, and that’s what I model my game after. I have scoring, skating, and puck handling as my strengths, according to scouts. This will allow me to open up space and get to the net. I’m interested in putting a lot of pucks behind goalies and getting in their heads. Skinner has that ability to get the puck away from defenders and skate in eloquently to the net for a goal. That’s what I want, and that’s who scouts are comparing me to currently.

What do you want most out of your team in this draft?
A good time. I know hockey is about being competitive and becoming the best you can be. I want to reach my full potential. But at the same time, I’m all about having a good time. The playoff run with Anchorage, I had a blast. That’s why I’ve been telling most teams to not draft me. I want to be back in Anchorage. I’m not going to retire on any team because they do draft me, but I won’t be as happy as I was in Anchorage. So basically, the team must have a good bunch of players. This applies to the SHL team I go to eventually, as well. Doesn’t have to be close knit, but I’m not going to gel with a team that is toxic. I need to surround myself with positive vibes so that myself and my teammates can excel on the ice. Having a good time is the first objective, then winning some championships along the way would be nice.

Next up will be the Week 1 Recap of the Season 48 SMJHL Project Showcase. Here is the showcase schedule, check back at the end of Week 1 for that recap. See you then!

Week 1
Wranglers v. Blazers
Vipers v. Stingrays
Stingrays v. Wranglers
Blazers v. Wranglers
Stingrays v. Vipers
Wranglers v. Blazers
Vipers v. Stingrays
Wranglers v. Blazers

Great article, can't wait for the next part!

[Image: Jepox.gif]