Create Account

S51 SMJHL PT # 2 - Sizing Up the Competition

It's always a good idea to know what you're up against.  You and your fellow rookies will be pitted against each other and compared for the rest of your careers.  Want to measure up?  Time to scope out the competition. 

Task

Written Option: Write a 150 word profile about a player from another team.  Must include at least 3 attributes from their player build. 

Graphics Option:  Make a sig or player card for a rookie from another team, must include player render, name, and team logo. 

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S51 SMJHL Rookies (S52 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline Sunday 12/8 @10pm CT

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

Trey Nets is the closest thing to a carbon copy of Stirling MacTavish as you can possibly get at the moment, well at least numbers wise. Nets is a member of the St. Louis Scarecrows who currently have the exact same amount of points in the standings that the Kraken do. Not only that but Trey finds himself playing limited minutes as a Grocery Stick player that is currently centering the 4th line, much like MacTavish. They even have the same amount of points, with 1. Trey has one goal while MacTavish as a lonely assist.

Nets is currently a more offensive rounded player than MacTavish as he can pass and score, unlike Stirling who can really only pass the puck. They both skate okay although the Scotsman is a little stronger on his feet with some of that Highlander strength. MacTavish is money in the draw but has stone hands while Nets is the other way around seeing as he couldn't win a draw if the opposing Centerman fell over dead even. Finally MacTavish is the better defender, despite having a +/- difference of -5 in comparison to Nets. What does all this mean? Probably not much seeing  MacTavish's coach still doesn't know he's on the roster (rumor has it he's been left off the official lineup the coach submits and is simply labeled as "Do Not Use" in the coaches game card).

Either way, both of this players are currently trying to sneak off the bench and get more playing time so I doubt anyone in the crowd will be seeing their names on the score sheet anytime soon. Unless the coach needs someone to serve a penalty that is. Regardless is looks like Nets could get the advantage this season, seeing as he was selected over a full round ahead of MacTavish. Only time will tell to see what tricks these two can come up with in order to see ice time and I for one will probably forget about these two by next week.

@Carpy48, @sulovilen, and @Ragnar are signature gods
[Image: MaverickLegend.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]
Dragonite

Olli Saarinen, Jr. a 6'2'' goalie out of somewhere in Finland, presumably, is an up and coming goaltender who threatens to change the way the position is being played. A fairly standard left handed goalie (which for the record means catcher hand is on the right) is unique in the sense that he skates much like he's still in minor bantam hockey. Seriously with (50 skating) his atrocious lateral movement and inability to skate out in time to grab pucks dumped in by the opponent are quite unique. However, the reason he's changing the game is how absolutely flashy he can be. Saarinen, Jr. can snag pucks from point blank with his glove hand and flash it much like Ryan Jesster of old, something that has been lacking from our game with his insanely quick hand speed (82) and reaction time (81). Taken in the first round as a goalie truly speaks to the value people have for Saarinen's talent and his skill set, namely perhaps his ability to sell jerseys and draw in crowds. I look forward to seeing where his career goes.

@prettyburn

Carolina Kraken only recently signed two-way forward Happy Gilmore to a rookie-contract. Happy only became available after the draft due to an alleged incident on the golf course. In signing the 6 foot 1 inch forward, Carolina is definitely hoping to add some depth to their roster. Apart from his puck handling and passing skills, which are both on point, Kraken staff is also looking forward to see what Happy can add to their already strong defense game. Due to Carolina being the absolute off-season winner, and the Kraken staff sticking with what worked in those games for the regular season, Happy hasn't played any games so far. But with the team only being in 6th place so far, and on a two game losing streak, I wouldn't be surprised if they shook up their lines and looked at Happy to help them back on their feet.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Made a pretty quick and simple card for Simothy Drunkebird.
[Image: VYwz7j0.png]

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

[Image: DByroa9.jpg]

Not much is known about Season 51 draftee, Mick Squeezey who was picked up this year by the Anchorage Armada.  What is known, however, about this red-blooded American is his affinity for mystery both in the net and in public.  Picked up as a suitable backup to veteran netminder, Ian Venables, Mick Squeezey affirms that he is a jack of all trades, master of none.  A true testament to his hybrid goal tending style.

Wearing sweater number 27, this goaltender is both everything and nothing average.  His 6'0, 185 pound frame is near the gold standard in height and weight for goaltenders...a size that allows above average style control, reaction time and hand speed...but at the same time, due to the hybrid style nature, can lead the goaltender to not make the best use of his position between the pipes.  McSqueezey, while having decent comfort on the skates still has a bit to work out when applying his size to the overall defensive strategy.  In one practice it was witnessed that in one period he was attempting to, as another player reported, "stand there like a brick wall" while in the next period "I couldn't tell if he was a beached whale, or just bored flailing around.  I'm pretty sure he was trying to do a cartwheel in the crease".

Only time now will unravel the mystery behind the Armada's latest acquisition and see if his potential was worth the price.

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]

Quote:170 words

Always look at the scouting reports. That's something I was taught again and again by my coaches while I was rising into hockey stardom. So, when we played Detroit, I made sure that I read up. And one particular individual caught my eye.

Detroit's goalie, Alexander Thorstrom, is a 6 foot 3 inch 210 pound Swede whose archetype is that of a Butterfly Goalie. He is a season 48 create. He excels in Rebound Control, which is currently sitting at a rating of 90, as well as Hand Speed and Reaction Time, which are rated at 87 and 83 respectively. Of course, these are all are expected strengths of a butterfly goalie, so let's focus on some other strengths of this Detroit goalie. Other TPE has been put into such attributes as Style Control (76), Agility (72), and Size (71). With Detroit currently sitting at 6-2-0, they can thank their talons that they're clawing through games with Thorstrom holding down the fort in net.

Quote:"I have the best poke check in the nation, all thanks to Marc-Andre Fleury."
[Image: L9uCJT6.png]
[Image: sAwEMTH.png]

[Image: sAwEMTH.png]

@TheManSoldTheWorld

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019, 05:33 PM by notoriousTRON.)

Nicholas Corrigan is a pass first winger that was drafted 11th overall by the Vancouver Whalers. A gifted skater with good hands, he creates space for himself using his speed and agility and can make defenders look silly with his puck handling. Corrigan's shot isn't much to write home about and will likely be a key focus of his early career development. In the defensive end, Corrigan can handle his own and won't be a liability. This is another area of the ice where his skating will be an asset and will help to cover for deficiencies in positioning. In the offensive end, Corrigan uses his ability to create space to draw defenders' attention which can quickly create scoring opportunities for his line-mates. He then uses his vision and awareness to connect on quick passes, often through traffic, to set up and capitalize on these scoring opportunities.

With proper coaching and development focus, Corrigan has the potential and talent to carve out a nice career in the SHL.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

[Image: filip_-_Copy.png]

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

While Noah Nystrom went high to Kelowna, Vancouver took another Swedish defenseman in Sven Yxskaft. So far, on paper it seems Vancouver is extremely happy with the pick. While Nystrom has played first pairing minutes out of the gate, Vancouver's deeper defense has given Yxskaft sheltered minutes on the third pairing. Despite this, Yxskaft has still provided key defense and support. Nystrom has been slow offensively, and despite nearly 4 more minutes of average playing time has only 1 more point than him. Unlike Nystrom, who is aiming to be a pass first phsyical defenseman, Yxskaft has gone in a different direction. While Yxskaft is also a two-way defenseman, he is much smaller and thus plays a less physical game. Yxskaft, like Nystrom, has emphasis on passing and defense in his game, but unlike Nystrom also values puck handling. With his smaller size, Yxskaft is prioritizing a much more two way game to start verses the physical defense of Nystrom. While time will tell who will be remembered for being a better player, both Swedes are off to a great start so far.

Luke McMaster, the newly acquired center for the Detroit Falcons who is a 5’11, 190 pound offensive minded player. He specializes in Scoring, skating, and passing which shows in his player attributes with his highest rating being scoring which is at a 75. He is also a solid passer which is needed at the center position as you need to be able to set up your wingers to put the puck in the net. One thing that struck me was his Faceoff stat, which is only at a 51, low if you ask me but what do I know. Luke comes out of Philadelphia, PA and enjoys knitting and bird watching in his spare time. He also was a huge one direction fan and even called himself Luke Horan for a little after Niall Horan from the band, and don’t ask this guy to be your wingman either, he is pretty abysmal with the ladies as I’ve seen back in high school hockey when we played together.

167 words

[Image: OIQc6sy.png]

Jmac NCheese is a two-way right winger who was drafted 18th overall by the Detroit Falcons. Coming in at 6'1" and 200lbs he has shown a lot of promise during the first few games of the season, showing off his skating and scoring prowess by quickly rising into the top-5 rookies of the season so far. Even with his somewhat limited minutes on the second line.

But his collection of points does not only come from goals but also assists. His passing game has been on point and has allowed his teammates to trust him with the puck and make sure to get out in the open.

He has also showed flashes of brilliance with his defense ability by breaking up opportunities before they turn dangerous and is boasting a +9. Which is not only top-2 among the rookies by also top-3 in the entire league.

If he keeps this pace up it is for sure gonna be a rookie season to call home about.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

[Image: 8bqMxw7.png]
havent done this in a while.

[Image: moreausig.jpg]

[Image: thedangazone.gif]