Create Account

Who could've gone 1OA in S52?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM by RainDelay.)

The Season 52 SHL Draft took place on January 17, 2020. Commissioner SDCore stepped up to the podium to commence this event, and the San Francisco Pride selected Simothy Drunkebird #1 overall. At the time, this was a consensus number one pick. The interesting thing is, I can't even say this was a bad pick by any means. The Pride clearly wanted the user Esso2264 and they got him, as he is a strong presence in the locker room and around the website. Also, the Pride managed to get to the Cup even without his services, so it's not like their rebuild was hinged on knocking it out of the park with the first pick.

Drunkebird was a good pick for sure, but if the draft were up to me, he wouldn't have gone first. In fact, you'll find that the TPE numbers are staggering, as many of his S52 counterparts have moved in front of him in TPE acquisition, including one player who nobody expected this from (we'll get there, I promise).

So, if I were the Pride GM, who would I have taken?

Let's start with this guy...

Cal Labovitch @Mutedfaith
Taken: 2nd overall by Chiefs

There are quite a few max earners in this class, but one stands out just a bit above the rest. That honor goes to my Minnesota Chiefs teammate Cal Labovitch. He is currently on the Detroit Falcons in the SMJHL and will look to break into the big leagues soon enough. He is as blue-chip as blue-chip prospects come, and the Pride might be kicking themselves that they missed out on this guy. It happens sometimes in sports, where the guy that goes 2nd greatly outperforms the first pick, and that might be the case here. How will his game translate to the SHL? Well, that remains to be seen, but if he continues on this pace, then I have high hopes. Can't wait to team up next season in MIN.

Another strong pick, almost as strong as Labovitch, would've been...

Sven Yxskaft @kenvald
Taken: 5th overall by Wolfpack

Sven Yxskaft actually has the second most TPE in this class, and he was taken 5th overall. He is just a little bit behind Labovitch, maybe a couple 3v3s or Primetimes away from taking that top spot. Sven would've made for an awesome pick as well, as he also brings that top prospect talent as well as a presence around the site. Currently a Vancouver Whaler, he will look to bring his talent to New England in a matter of time. Same deal with Labovitch, I don't see him flaming out any time soon, and the Pack are lucky that four teams passed him up. Could he have gone 1OA? Easily.

The third out of four we will be looking at is...

Rhys Pritchard @notoriousTRON
Taken: 4th overall by Stars

Yay, my Anaheim teammate cracks this list! Not a surprise to see him here either, he was selected fourth so everyone is quite aware of his talent, and if they aren't then they soon will be. Toronto is absolutely dying for any shred of talent to hit the big leagues. Luckily, they have plenty on the way and Pritchard is one of the headliners. It has been an honor to share a locker room and a team with this guy, and I know he will do great things in the SHL. The Pride would've been lucky to have him too.

And lastly (sorta) lets bring up...

Adam Scianna @RedCapeDiver
Taken: 3rd overall by Renegades

The Renegades are another team who need an influx of talent and need it now. Scianna should provide that. Tied with Rhys Pritchard in TPE at this point, these two were pretty much interchangeable at 3 and 4. Both teams drafted winners. Scianna has 574 TPE, which puts him over 100 TPE in front of Drunkebird and makes him our fourth awesome candidate for who could've gone first.

So, what now?

What's the point of this?

Well, I guess, the point is to show that the top 5 picks (and others) were all pretty damn good, and any could have gone first. As I said earlier, Esso was not a bad pick at all, it's just that the TPE is a bit lacking compared to people after him. Oh, and this wouldn't be a RainDelay article without a bit of self-promotion, so here's another player that has more TPE than the 1OA...

C.T. Carragher RainDelay (me!)
Taken: 17th by Chiefs

The Chiefs got a steal! Cal Labovitch and I are poised to enter the ranks of the big leagues together and show why Minnesota took us. I am a steal if I do say so myself. I was earning pretty solidly before, but now I am planning on taking any further steps to become a max earner. I am sitting at 458 TPE which isn't bad at all, and I plan to keep moving up the ranks of my draft class and proving the doubters wrong. I've already made waves in the SMJHL, so all I have to do is go defend our title in Anaheim and then it's off to the real deal. No more capped build. And hey, with these TPE numbers, I could've gone first overall (I mean, not actually) :D

For reference, this is how the top 16 could've looked if we went back with 20/20 vision:

1. Cal Labovitch (Taken #2) - 583 TPE
2. Sven Yxskaft (Taken #5) - 577 TPE
3. Adam Scianna (Taken #3) - 574 TPE
4. Rhys Pritchard (Taken #4) - 574 TPE
5. Velveteen Dream (Taken #28) - 573 TPE (HUGE STEAL)
6. Strom Chamberlain (Taken #7) - 546 TPE
7. Sabo Tage (Taken #31) - 542 TPE
8. Olli Saarinen, Jr. (Taken #11) - 539 TPE
9. Stirling MacTavish - (Taken #29) - 532 TPE
10. Slatt Potts (Taken #6) - 502 TPE
11. Bale (Taken #23) - 489 TPE
12. Danny Marston (Taken #9) - 481 TPE
13. Samat Beibitzhanov (Taken #14) - 473 TPE
14. Cillian Kavanagh (Taken #22) - 464 TPE
15. C.T. Carragher (Taken #17) - 458 TPE
16. Simothy Drunkebird (Taken #1) - 437 TPE

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

pick up the slack @Esso2264

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

of course im behind, i dont update, i do my shit but i just dont put it in my update cuz im capped lol but i shouldnt have gone 1OA yes

puttin TDZ as HUGE STEAL is memes and u know it

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

I think this is wrong because none of those other players are a bird that you can drink with?

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Yeah pick rain delay first

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

TPE don't lie, nice work

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

03-26-2020, 11:47 PMGeckoeyGecko Wrote: puttin TDZ as HUGE STEAL is memes and u know it

Glad the memes weren't lost on everyone haha

03-26-2020, 10:46 PMEsso2264 Wrote: of course im behind, i dont update, i do my shit but i just dont put it in my update cuz im capped lol but i shouldnt have gone 1OA yes

I used the TPE tracker. Why don't you update? The rest of us are capped and we still update...

03-27-2020, 12:50 AMSlashACM Wrote: Yeah pick rain delay first

You know damn well that wasn't the point of the article. Picking someone who's first league is a different league wouldn't really be the smart move.

03-27-2020, 09:54 AMRainDelay Wrote:
03-26-2020, 10:46 PMEsso2264 Wrote: of course im behind, i dont update, i do my shit but i just dont put it in my update cuz im capped lol but i shouldnt have gone 1OA yes

I used the TPE tracker. Why don't you update? The rest of us are capped and we still update...
cuz im a lazy fuck and that i update all of you

03-27-2020, 09:57 AMRainDelay Wrote:
03-27-2020, 12:50 AMSlashACM Wrote: Yeah pick rain delay first

You know damn well that wasn't the point of the article. Picking someone who's first league is a different league wouldn't really be the smart move.

You made a good goalie a while ago

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Who wants to tell him SFP didn't win in the finals lol

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

03-27-2020, 12:40 PMhhh81 Wrote: Who wants to tell him SFP didn't win in the finals lol

"the Pride got to the Cup"

03-27-2020, 12:28 PMSlashACM Wrote:
03-27-2020, 09:57 AMRainDelay Wrote: You know damn well that wasn't the point of the article. Picking someone who's first league is a different league wouldn't really be the smart move.

You made a good goalie a while ago

Yeah back then I was definitely a more reliable earner here, though. Now I'm trying to get back to my old ways!