Create Account

Cookin With Kata

Welcome to Cookin with Kata, a new series (hopefully) where known foodie Kata Vilde will be sharing some recipes to spice up the quarantine days. There are some serious foodies on the Calgary Dragons, especially GM Steelhead, as evidenced by the multitude of people posting their creations in the food channel in the Calgary discord. Yup you heard right, Calgary has a separate food channel in their discord (probably not a surprise for most).  Other notables would include BBQ pit master Nicky Pedersen Jr, our resident beer expert Barry Batsbak, aspiring chef Maxime Bouchard, our expert in all things Cajun Alexi Rykov and Dragon legend Kriss Labsvards our international cuisine master. With this strong lineup of gastronomique superstars Calgary may decide at some point in the offseason to set up an SHL challenge event to see which team’s cuisine reigns supreme! But I digress, today Kata Vilde will present a couple recipes for your perusal, an opportunity to give you something you can easily try for yourselves if you’re on lockdown.

First up we’ll start with an Irish staple, traditional soda bread. And I’m not talking about that bullshit bakeries try to pass off at St Paddy’s day with the raisins and caraway and all the other horseshit they put in it. I’m talking about the stick to the ribs, old fashioned granny made soda bread that’s eaten every morning in Ireland. It makes a dense loaf so it really sticks to the ribs so you can have this in the morning with a cuppa and be quite satisfied for the entire morning. Of course, it’s best with real Irish butter as well. The traditional loaf has just 4 simple ingredients. It’s cooked in a Dutch oven to mimic the Bastable, a cast iron baking pot used for decades to make this scrumptious bread. Without further ado the recipe is as follows:

Traditional Soda Bread

3 ½ cups of King Arthur Irish style flour (can use AP or wheat as well but not quite the same)
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups of buttermilk

Heat the oven to 450 and put your Dutch oven and lid in the oven to heat it while mixing.
Sift together the dry ingredients in a bowl and then form a hole in the center.
Pour in the buttermilk, mix from sides in, should be a soft dough.
Put the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently and form into a round, too much handling will make your loaf tough.
Cut a deep cross into the dough using a sharp knife to ward off evil but in essence to offer breaking points.
Bake for 15 minutes with lid on, then reduce to 400 and another 30 minutes with lid on, bread should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Serve warm slathered in butter.

When it’s finished it should look something like this:

[Image: 20200319_115919.jpg?width=334&height=445]

Next up for you we will be offering up what a mate of Kata’s dubbed Detroit Rock Chili. No reason was given for this, just that it sounded really cool and since the dish somewhat resembles chili, he can be forgiven his effort at a terrible pun lol. This is a nice casserole dish that can be served as a side dish or as a main dish if need be. It really stretches the food dollar since it has loads of beans in it (hopefully which won’t result in a sphincter stretch). The bacon in it really makes it shine. It is absolutely fantastic served with piping hot cornbread. So the recipe is as follows:

Detroit Rock Chili

2 lbs. Hamburger
1 lb. Bacon
1 large Onion
2 cans each Kidney, Lima and Pork
& Beans (can also add other beans if you don’t have these)
1 cup Ketchup
½ cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Vinegar
1 Tbsp Mustard

Preheat oven to 300 degrees (can use crock-pot also).
Dice bacon, fry till crisp, drain most of grease.
Dice onion and add to bacon, fry till onions start to brown, put in casserole dish.
Brown hamburger, drain and add to bacon.
Drain kidney and lima beans, add to meats along with rest of
ingredients, mix well.
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or low crock-pot till heated through.

This beauty looks like this:

[Image: 4560658.jpg]

So there we have it for today’s episode of Cookin with Kata. I hope you’ll enjoy these 2 hearty recipes that will fill you up and stretch your food dollar during these trying days ahead. Look back for another episode soon as we hope to bring you more delicious recipes in the very near future!

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

Share your cookie recipe

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Which one? Have several, anyone that's a fav?

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

These look great! As Always!

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Wait, so you chop up a buncha hamburgers?

[Image: lebbish.gif]

I drew spiritual sustenance just from reading this. Cheers

Now, I’ll show the wife the recipes and let her do all the real work

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Oooooh I know what I'm doing this weekend now!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa