Create Account

S54 WFT #3 - Make the Case: SHL Player Poll Edition

Best managed team: Buffalo Stampede

Against. I don't mean to come off negatively to Buffalo, they've done some awesome things pretty much since Finn took over. But the Calgary Dragons are the gold standard for Best managed team in the SHL. It's been this way for about 30 seasons now since Esa took over. Calgary wins consistently, always makes the playoffs, and constantly finds reinforcements to come in and take over as players age out. It's first class over there, all of the time. They have a fantastic LR, and they're rarely looked down upon or start nonsense, as that's how Esa prefers it. Buffalo is like Calgary Lite nowadays. The Dragons have done this for so long now that people just forget about it it seems.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Best at graphics: Wasty

For! Here's the thing - I don't always love Wasty's taste, and in any given tournament I may not think Wasty has the absolute best graphic. But he always has damn good ones, and he's consistently been among the best, actively, for the 35 seasons I've been on this site. That's almost SIX YEARS where he's been in contention for best graphic maker. Others have come and gone, but he's always been in the top. And not only that, he's been the most active in spreading that to those around him - the Panthers have always had a ton of amazing graphic makers, and are always the most consistently branded team with sigs and avatars. You can argue that another user has made some great sigs lately, but in terms of overall contribution it's really hard to argue against Wasty.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

Code:

I'm taking the easy way out here. FOR Clearly Wasty has a lock on the SHL when it comes to any sort of graphic. Whether that's a sig (check mine!) or a team rebranding and needing a whole new look - Wasty is near the top of the pack for each and every one of them.

Oh and he's got a Tesla so that helps too

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Which user would you most like to drink with: Acsolap

I was going to go with against on this, since I don't really know Acsolap, but reading some many people say that Acsolap is a solid dude and would go out of there way to raise a glass with him, I'm going to change my against to a big for!  Acsolap, we have never really interacted on the site, so I have no clue where you are from but if you are ever in Canada (southwestern Ontario-ish), drop me a line and I'll buy the first round!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Favorite SHL user: Mike Izzy
For: Izzy is a very reasonable choice. He is popular on the forum for his contributions in almost every department. His comments run rampant on the site; if you've posted something, Izzy has seen it. A great contributor who has the site's best interest in mind with each one of his actions. Izzy dogs are the second best hotdog on the site.

Most dedicated SHL user: luketd
For: Every week, Luke continues to outdo himself with features to the site that make it more immersive and enjoyable. Small improvements like his keep the site perpetually improving. I trust Luke with all of his choices. There are many other's that dedicate a lot to the site, like Kalakar, essentially working ~6 or so thankless hours so that we can enjoy our sims. While I believe Kalakar been the most dedicated in the past 2 months, I believe Luke's body of work elevates him to the "overall most dedicated".

For: I've got a lot of problems. I'd have a drink with anyone. I have zero site interactions with acsolap, but I'm sure we'd get along.

Best-managed SHL team: Buffalo Stampede
Against: They've been good for a little while, and their building process was fun to watch as I shared a locker room with Tomen and hhh81. I believe the Blizzard are right up there with management skills. Through the draft and careful trading, the Blizzard management has built and maintained a thriving lockerroom on and off the ice. Watching Toronto slowly turn around into a winning product has been interesting as well. A solo Carpy in the lockerroom now has a crowd of burgeoning youth, ready to win games for them.

Against: "Best" is a subjective term for all of these categories, but as one that I regularly oversee as a graphics head, I am not comfortable giving away that title. Wasty is incredibly consistent and gives back a lot to the community/graphics community, but the term "Best" implies that all others are lacking. Karey has come out of "grading retirement" to help the community of young contributors and consistently makes top notch products as well.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

Code:

I'm gonna say For... but only just barely.  There's a lot of competition in the graphics arena, which is great. The recent competitions were a lot of fun and got to see some really impressive work. Karey and Sve7en are putting out quality media and even newer users like Paytonium and Delirivm are rocking it.

[Image: hudson.png]

For

Ass clap is a fun guy, one of the big reasons why I went to Armada. After a few drinks I'd probably end up talking to his adorable cat for the rest of the night.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Code:
FOR and here is why. Mike Izzy is frankly just a really good dude. Like I have never been able to find anyone who can say anything really bad about the dude. That alone makes him one of the favorites on the site. If you think differently then feel free to come at me bro.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

06-12-2020, 06:41 PMFinnRhys Wrote:
Code:
FOR and here is why. Mike Izzy is frankly just a really good dude. Like I have never been able to find anyone who can say anything really bad about the dude. That alone makes him one of the favorites on the site. If you think differently then feel free to come at me bro.
How much time do you have?

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

06-12-2020, 06:45 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
06-12-2020, 06:41 PMFinnRhys Wrote:
Code:
How much time do you have?
For you? As much as you need.... but only because we are kindred spirits with Finn in our names

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020, 07:25 PM by leafsftw1967.)

@Mike Izzy definitely deserves the title of the favorite SHL user. While I have only started to get to know Izzy after being recently drafted by the Calgary Dragons, he has been an absolute class act in the one season we have been teammates so far. It all started with Izzy personally reaching out to me to get to know me after being drafted by Calgary and making me feel welcome on a team full of new faces right from the start. As the assistant general manager of the Dragons alongside head general manager Esa, they have done an excellent job creating a fun locker room environment with a warm, easy going and positive atmosphere.

Izzy also just has the right personality to be well liked throughout the league. From getting to know him in Calgary he’s a very personable dude whose creative and fun to be around while also be super dedicated to enriching other SHL member’s experience on the site, especially his Dragon teammates. He is one of those managers that you just want to give your all for just as he gives his all into making playing for Calgary a special experience. For example, Izzy goes out of his way to make prospects not currently playing on the big roster in Calgary feel appreciated by setting up celebration days in the “party room” thread within the discord locker room or helping create fun rookie initiation nights.

He’s also got some funny stories behind things like the “Izzy couch” emoji which brings me to my next points which is that Izzy does an awesome making sure each active member of the current team has a personal designed emoji which I think is such a cool idea! Its little things like the unveiling of Izzy’s creation of the Marner emoji :mats: last week before the weekly poker tournament that really shows he cares about his teammates. Izzy’s creation of events like the weekly poker tournament (that comes along with a personalized theme and trophy for the winner) are just some examples of how Izzy goes out of his way to make Calgary are really fun place.

Last but not least, Izzy is also super creative and innovative setting up Dragon’s TV and highlighting the amazing accomplishments of Dragon players through the creation of hockey videos. This was one of my favorite aspects of Calgary from the outside looking in before getting drafted by the Dragons and am in awe of Izzy’s amazing job with the videos that he produces. I honestly thought he did video editing for a living after watching some of them. Overall, its awesome that Izzy's using his video editing skills to lift up his teammates and help recognizing their achievements. All of these reasons show why Izzy is the most liked member in the SHL.

Word Count: 487

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020, 07:26 PM by Velevra.)

Best-managed SHL team: Buffalo Stampede

For: There are a lot of outstanding General Managers in the league that I have a ton of respect for but I have always especially admired the work WannabeFinn and Tomen have done (I wish Chicago had a GM like that). They have consistently been a top team since at least the early-mid S40s and with their solid trading and drafting I expect them to remain strong well into the early S60s at minimum.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

Against: Favorite SHL user: Mike Izzy

I do not think that Mike Izzy is the favorite SHL user. He may be a top user but I believe the face of the SHL is @Nictox and he is the greatest member of SHL history. He has the looks, skill, and the talk to walk the walk.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

I agree that Ascolap deserves the title of "user you'd most like to drink with" because he's a pretty chill dude and it would probably be cool to have a drink with him. Clearly people agree.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

Luketd is a great pick for best member because he does a ton of work. He is a historian of a league and creates media that is unparalleled. Whether it be his stories of history or his prospect rankings, they take a lot of work and he puts a lot of time into them. Take into account he is also a GM in the league and it is very impressive how committed Luke is to the league.

[Image: dakiller11.gif]
somebody please make me a sig