Create Account

WJC Team Rankings by Fantasy Scores (WJC 2x Bonus)

The World Junior Championship is here. Time to do some rankings. I wasnt quite sure how to rank all the teams. I usually rely on statistical evidence but I wanted to try a different approcah. So the ranking system I choose to use was the Fantasy Scoring system. 
This is the format of the scoring:
Skaters:
Goals: 4 points (G * 4)
Assists: 3 points (A * 3)
Shots on Goal: 0.3 points (SOG * 0.3)
Hits: 0.4 points (HIT * 0.4)
Shot Blocks: 0.6 points (SB * 0.6) for Forwards
Shot Blocks: 0.9 points (SB * 0.9) for Defencemen
Goalies:
Wins: 5 points (W * 5)
Shutouts: 5 points (SO * 5)
Saves: 0.1 points ([SA - GA] * 0.1)

So I have compiled all the teams and calculated the players fantasy scores based on S54 SMJHL Stats. Some teams have IA players or S56 rookies. For these players I have given them a fixed fantasy score. For IA players I gave them 75 points (Seemed like a good average). And for S56 Rookies gave them a fixed rate of 55. For the one rookie goalie, Ragnar-Alexandre Ragnarsson-Tremblay, I gave him a score of 40 (Used UCORCAL G - Blunt Man as reference). So without further delay, here is the Top WJC fantasy scoring teams. 
WJC Fantasy Scoring

USA                3513.4
      UCORCAL        3499         
World             3382.9
Canada           3107.9
 British             3098    
DACH              2974.7
Sweden           2869.9
Finland            2808.7

USA is the leading overall fantasy scoring team. Followed closely by team UCORCAL. The top 3 teams seem to be just a bit above all the other teams. Obviously the bigger countries have a major advantage with a much bigger player pool to choose from but still none the less. USA has put together a good overall squad this year. 
Now lets look at the offensive skills of each team. Here is the offensive fantay scoring for each WJC Team's skaters and defenseman

Team         Fantasy Score 
UCORCAL      3304.6  
 USA              3117.4   
 World            2945.9   
 British           2800.8   
    Canada         2751.5      
Sweden         2695.4  
Finland          2612.7  
DACH            2547     
UCORCAL leading all teams with a total fantasy score of 3304.6 points. They lead 2nd place team USA by 187.2 points. And the USA is 171.5 points above World. The same top 3 teams from the overall rankings. Canada and the British Isles seem to be locked in around 4 and 5. The DACH are struggling in producing offensive fantasy points as they are ranked at the bottom. But the bottom 4 teams are only seperated by about 200 points. 

Now on to the Goalies. Here is the fantasy scoring for the WJC Team Goalies
Goalies      Fantasy
World            437   
  DACH            427.7  
  USA               396     
  Canada          356.4  
 British            297.2 
Finland           196   
UCORCAL        194   
Sweden          174.5

World tops the scoring here just slightly above DACH. Both coming in at over 400 fantasy points. USA once again right there rounding out top 3. Canada and the British being dependable in the 4th and 5th slot. Sweden coming in last here. But thats not a knock on the goalies themselves but more that their SMJHL teams had a legit starter in front of them which forced them into a backup role. 

I looked more into the fantasy scoring and broke it down each category and averaged the team ranks. Lets take a look (and i know i spelled assists wrong....)
 [Image: CjH5xcLl.png]
[Image: a2vOB4nl.png]
This just reinforces the above result. The top 3 teams in offensive production are UCORCAL, USA, and World. UCORCAL has the best playmakers and are also the hardest hitting team in the WJC by far. World is the best scoring team by a slight margin. USA is solid in every offensive category. 
And each category breakdown for the goalies and ranks
[Image: VFyTk2El.png]
[Image: K7wdIral.png]

Here is where some of the other teams make their money. DACH coming in tied with World for the lead. USA and the British Isles arent far behind. One interesting note here is the British Isles lead the Goals Against and the Save percentage categories. This is quite impressive to lead both with the goalies these other teams have rostered. Something to keep an eye on. 

Maybe this will change the way some guys fill out their WJC Championship Week. Thought it could be beneficial or maybe it is completely useless. Only time will tell. 

Bonus WJC 
The exhibition is over and the Round Robin startes today. So lets look at the results of the Exhibition Round.
We had 2 live sims and here are the results

[Image: PPcNNqTl.png]

There were 5 other sims offline and these are the results. 

[Image: bl0V8wGl.png]
The teams that were effected by the live sim vs the offline sim were USA and World.  USA went from the least goals against to the 2nd most goals. And World went from not winning either game to winning 3 total. 
So with all that info, we can clearly see that team USA is the leading contender for the Gold. Top fantasy scoring team. Best record during the live sims. Cant ask for much more than that. Good Luck to all teams in the WJC this year. 
GO USA!!  Usa Usa Usa 

Words: 832 (2x bonus)

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

USA! USA! USA!

[Image: Spicy_Funko.jpg]
Player Page             Update Thread