Create Account

Time Zone difference

Good Day fellow SHLers

There's something which has been bugging me for a long time: the negligence of other timezones than the north american ones.
The SHL is a gathering of people from all over the world. Still we tend to do Events like the Drafts or the Award shows on NA favoring times. This would be ok with me if this was on a Saturday or a Friday but not on any other weekday. Considering you have a normal day job or a family, staying awake past midnight during the week is just not responsible / doable for some people.

The latest event was the award show yesterday evening where some people just didnt have the chance to win 1M SHL money because they were asleep due to the time difference.
Another example was this season's draft. Considering that the most precise mocks go up less than 1h before the draft, many users missed out on TPE because they just weren't around. There are also GMs which weren't able to attend the draft because of this. Which makes scouting work done by GMs not being able to attend themselves a bit pointless.

What could we do to make this better? TBH first of all a discussion isnt a bad thing to start with, but it wont help in the long term. So doing a survey which timezone / continent all the users are from could help finding better times for these things in the future?

[Image: Bananabread.gif] 

Thank you @Carpy48, @honkerrs

The fact that the awardshows are late at night is something that I don't like but I can live with, but as a GM it's pretty rough to have to miss the draft of your own league because the draft starts at 2AM and usualy lasts for about 2 hours. I hope that in the future we can find a more suitable time for these events even if it means having to postpone them until the weekend.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

07-27-2020, 02:03 AMKatth Wrote: The fact that the awardshows are late at night is something that I don't like but I can live with, but as a GM it's pretty rough to have to miss the draft of your own league because the draft starts at 2AM and usualy lasts for about 2 hours. I hope that in the future we can find a more suitable time for these events even if it means having to postpone them until the weekend.

Yeahthat Jeah... I also believe there would be more people watching the draft on a weekend then during the week

I agree with the OP.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

So the issue is, the vast majority fall under the north american time zones. I do understand the complaint about the award show thing, I believe that may have been why we ended it previously. But for the draft, when the most GMs can be present is the time the draft is often held. For some, the weekend is when they finally get time with family. For me personally, I work on the weekend and would have trouble making it usually. For the most part, these options are chosen because it's the most representative of the group, even if it unfortunately doesn't represent you. I'm sorry that this happens, but the draft is a situation that can be very, very difficult to plan without isolating somebody.

I do agree on the awards show for money though, that needs further tweaking but was an idea had just hours before it was announced. It should hopefully be better managed in the future.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

I couldn't agree more here. And I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before, or has it?

Yeahthat

This problem obviously doesn't concern the majority of the league, but it annoys us members in other timezones because we feel left out a lot. There's probably more of us outside NA than you think. We try to be involved too, but missing out of draft TPE because of last minute trades etc can have a small effect on your player too in the long run even though it's minor. What if there was a team with two GMs that live outside NA and what if both couldn't attend a draft? What would happen in that situation?

I'm definitely curious what others think about this. How would you feel in our situation?

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Agreed. I get that scheduling isn't easy and will never be perfect, but I think the minimum should be that the drafts would always be during the weekend. The last SHL draft was in the middle of the week and in the middle of the night for euros. I was able to wake up at 3am for it, but many probably were not. Would be interesting to see some kind of a poll.

[Image: sulov.gif]

07-27-2020, 02:22 AMJayWhy Wrote: So the issue is, the vast majority fall under the north american time zones. I do understand the complaint about the award show thing, I believe that may have been why we ended it previously. But for the draft, when the most GMs can be present is the time the draft is often held. For some, the weekend is when they finally get time with family. For me personally, I work on the weekend and would have trouble making it usually. For the most part, these options are chosen because it's the most representative of the group, even if it unfortunately doesn't represent you. I'm sorry that this happens, but the draft is a situation that can be very, very difficult to plan without isolating somebody.

First off thanks for the great awnser!

As for the draft: I am aware that planing a draft date is pretty hard! Maybe planing the draft date earlier could help with this.

Quote:I do agree on the awards show for money though, that needs further tweaking but was an idea had just hours before it was announced. It should hopefully be better managed in the future.

Definetly appreciate this! Thanks a lot!

Generaly planing things earlier would definetly help with finding a date which fits the most guys! But I am also aware that there isn't an option which fits with every members schedule!

07-27-2020, 02:22 AMJayWhy Wrote: But for the draft, when the most GMs can be present is the time the draft is often held. For some, the weekend is when they finally get time with family. For me personally, I work on the weekend and would have trouble making it usually. For the most part, these options are chosen because it's the most representative of the group, even if it unfortunately doesn't represent you. I'm sorry that this happens, but the draft is a situation that can be very, very difficult to plan without isolating somebody.

Sure, if you're counting GMs as a person headcount, most can make it. The problem is that not every team is represented in that headcount.

For example, Toronto had our GM popping in and out in the chat because he was at work, and our Co-GM who had to go to bed because he gets up early for work in Europe, and so our Scout team was drafting. We have a great scout team, but this shouldn't have to be a thing. Other teams, by contrast, had both GMs present plus any scouts, which lets them organize more easily.

In the SMJHL, there were two teams who had to bring in representatives to draft, and another one that almost would have had to. If my Co-GM hadn't gotten home early from his vacation, I might've added a representative.

I think the change needs to be a team headcount; can somebody from the team make it? Then, yes, people will be isolated, but fewer teams should be isolated. Ideally, this would also be more timely for the Mock Drafts.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Absolutely agree with the OP.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

07-27-2020, 02:28 AMCarpy48 Wrote: I couldn't agree more here. And I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before, or has it?

Yeahthat

This problem obviously doesn't concern the majority of the league, but it annoys us members in other timezones because we feel left out a lot. There's probably more of us outside NA than you think. We try to be involved too, but missing out of draft TPE because of last minute trades etc can have a small effect on your player too in the long run even though it's minor. What if there was a team with two GMs that live outside NA and what if both couldn't attend a draft? What would happen in that situation?

I'm definitely curious what others think about this. How would you feel in our situation?

So, we actually have had at times teams run by two Euros. We did try to accommodate as much as possible, which ended up I think being once, unfortunately. I wish we could've done more. The prevailing thought is the same as when North American GMs are unable to make it also -- assign somebody from your team to act in your place and make your picks. They join the chat for the day, make the picks, then leave.

We've tried a lot of different ways to try and be more accommodating. I definitely understand the frustration. The problem is in the difficulty of getting 16 people plus members of HO all together at one time and making it work for basically all timezones without interfering in real life of those people. It may be beneficial, as Ursin brought up, to discuss draft dates earlier. It may be additionally beneficial if we can assign a draft date much earlier so people could try to plan around it, personally I can't take a day off without about two weeks to a month of notice so I doubt it'll change much for me. But I've worked on SHL on my schedule many times, I can take a backseat and be the one left out once in a while. It may be hard to get a majority to agree on this, however.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.

07-27-2020, 02:44 AMCapt_Blitzkrieg Wrote:
07-27-2020, 02:22 AMJayWhy Wrote: But for the draft, when the most GMs can be present is the time the draft is often held. For some, the weekend is when they finally get time with family. For me personally, I work on the weekend and would have trouble making it usually. For the most part, these options are chosen because it's the most representative of the group, even if it unfortunately doesn't represent you. I'm sorry that this happens, but the draft is a situation that can be very, very difficult to plan without isolating somebody.

Sure, if you're counting GMs as a person headcount, most can make it. The problem is that not every team is represented in that headcount.

For example, Toronto had our GM popping in and out in the chat because he was at work, and our Co-GM who had to go to bed because he gets up early for work in Europe, and so our Scout team was drafting. We have a great scout team, but this shouldn't have to be a thing. Other teams, by contrast, had both GMs present plus any scouts, which lets them organize more easily.

In the SMJHL, there were two teams who had to bring in representatives to draft, and another one that almost would have had to. If my Co-GM hadn't gotten home early from his vacation, I might've added a representative.

I think the change needs to be a team headcount; can somebody from the team make it? Then, yes, people will be isolated, but fewer teams should be isolated. Ideally, this would also be more timely for the Mock Drafts.

This is accounted for in the place we put in timeframes that work for us. Teams are meant to put availability for anybody they can utilize to draft for them, not solely themselves. I don't know that all do, but this is meant to be the method and thus is how it technically works already.

I get it frustrated ml and frustrated the team, but just because some teams happened to have both GMs available then doesn't mean an hour or two earlier they weren't both unavailable, plus others.

Agree 100% with the OP. We may be a minority but holding events such as drafts on weekends should definitely be a thing. Missing out on the potential money from the award show is something that I'm not too worried about personally but missing drafts sucks. Especially when you have been part of a scouting team or miss your own draft.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 04:33 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

To be honest, I think it's something that we Euros and people from other timezones just have to live with. Even moving up important events by just a few hours to say 4 or 5 pm EST would mean that a lot of North Americans are still stuck at work, school or with their families and for people on the West Coast it would be mid-day. We probably would have more people missing out on things in this case then there are today.

Regarding draft-planning... Is the exact time of the draft still being discussed in the GM forum as it was in the past, or is the date just set by HO without much feedback from you guys? If it's the former then I hope the concerns from people in other timezones are heard there at least, so that drafts can be held at more fortunate times for them (weekends, or if during the week then as early as possible). But as a Euro GM you probably still have to show your dedication by sacrificing your sleep a few times a year in order to be able to draft effectively.

I'm actually curious how many head GM's are from Europe.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies