Create Account

Open letter:Expansion GM announcement

08-15-2020, 08:22 PMspooked Wrote:
08-15-2020, 07:45 PMKeygan Wrote: No way that adds only 5-10 minutes to the entire process, come on.

It is just sending pms where they currently do not send any. They could be copy pasted for the most part, and the only time consuming portion is already handled in the internal shit. It is not a lot of work.

If HO is just going to send copy paste responses, why send responses at all?

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

08-15-2020, 09:47 PMTommySalami Wrote:
08-15-2020, 08:22 PMspooked Wrote: It is just sending pms where they currently do not send any. They could be copy pasted for the most part, and the only time consuming portion is already handled in the internal shit. It is not a lot of work.

because feelings

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 10:04 PM by spooked.)

08-15-2020, 09:47 PMTommySalami Wrote:
08-15-2020, 08:22 PMspooked Wrote: It is just sending pms where they currently do not send any. They could be copy pasted for the most part, and the only time consuming portion is already handled in the internal shit. It is not a lot of work.

Cause they can still contain information regarding the result of the application and general feedback? A copy paste process can account for more than "YOU DIDNT GET IT LOSER"

AGAIN, community website, for fun, having something will always be better than having nothing. I don't get why that is so hard to understand from a user experience perspective...

it also can open up a dialog channel for people to ask for more personal feedback if they really want it.

08-15-2020, 09:53 PMJAJA SWEG DINGDONG Wrote:
08-15-2020, 09:47 PMTommySalami Wrote: If HO is just going to send copy paste responses, why send responses at all?

because feelings
because feelings

08-15-2020, 09:46 PMSkeleton Party Wrote: HO is full of lizard people hell bent on keeping the moon from getting the team it rightfully deserves.

Buy my supplements they will make your dong bigger.

Not sure if you're Alex Jones or Joe Rogan.

Renegades  raiders  Finland

should have done a round by round elimination like real hero's of the past

[Image: livius.gif]

08-15-2020, 10:10 PMLeoben Wrote:
08-15-2020, 09:46 PMSkeleton Party Wrote: HO is full of lizard people hell bent on keeping the moon from getting the team it rightfully deserves.

Buy my supplements they will make your dong bigger.

Not sure if you're Alex Jones or Joe Rogan.
Can't be Joe.... there was no mention of DMT

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

08-15-2020, 07:57 PMACapitalChicago Wrote:
08-15-2020, 07:45 PMKeygan Wrote: No way that adds only 5-10 minutes to the entire process, come on.

You're right, it's even less. I typed out the following messages and copy/pasted them into 16 different DMs on Discord to see how long it would take just as a reference. The total time of writing, copying, and pasting, took 4 minutes and 13 seconds.

1. "Hi there ________, we at SHL HO have received your application."

2. "Hi there ________, we at SHL HO wanted to inform you that we have decided to move on with other applicants for the position."

3. See below.

4. "Hi there ________, we at SHL want to thank you for your time in applying for this position. Unfortunately we have decided to select another applicant for this position. This was a very competitive process, and we would like to thank you for your time and encourage you to reach out about positions in the future."

The only reason #3 doesn't have anything is because A) If there weren't any interviews at all then that sure saves some time and B) interviews can vary in terms of when people are available and how long they take, but if that becomes such an issue then why can't HO just extend the decision-making process longer than the 48 hours or however long it was?

People will just complain about the messages being a copy paste.

[Image: 3.png]

08-15-2020, 10:46 PMJSS Wrote:
08-15-2020, 07:57 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: You're right, it's even less. I typed out the following messages and copy/pasted them into 16 different DMs on Discord to see how long it would take just as a reference. The total time of writing, copying, and pasting, took 4 minutes and 13 seconds.

1. "Hi there ________, we at SHL HO have received your application."

2. "Hi there ________, we at SHL HO wanted to inform you that we have decided to move on with other applicants for the position."

3. See below.

4. "Hi there ________, we at SHL want to thank you for your time in applying for this position. Unfortunately we have decided to select another applicant for this position. This was a very competitive process, and we would like to thank you for your time and encourage you to reach out about positions in the future."

The only reason #3 doesn't have anything is because A) If there weren't any interviews at all then that sure saves some time and B) interviews can vary in terms of when people are available and how long they take, but if that becomes such an issue then why can't HO just extend the decision-making process longer than the 48 hours or however long it was?

People will just complain

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2020, 02:40 AM by teztify.)

08-15-2020, 07:16 PMMutedfaith Wrote:
08-15-2020, 11:38 AMCount Chocula Wrote: Why waste time telling 50 people No, when they'll find out they didn't get the job in the announcement post.
Because we're all human beings investing our time in this game; it will literaly cost you like 30 seconds per app and make you not look like a bag of dicks.

Nothing as frustrating in here as applying for something you want, and not even getting a response to acknowledge your application. 

But I guess in some less developed countries it is normal practice to not respond to job applications.

It’s not enough for HO to run the league and navigate expansion - they have to become a developed country now?

That really shitty take about members’ homes aside...

The HO are also human beings investing significant time into this game, into this hobby. It’s a job that unfortunately detracts from the enjoyment of the game a lot, because everything is always your fault. Very few things in this league can be a civil suggestion or disagreement, and rarely is improvement cared about when it’s still not perfection. It’s unfortunate.

In the discussions I’ve heard about Corey being very willing to have, they take much longer than 30 seconds. I know Core, I know he’s thorough. There’s no interest in sending half-assed responses, because whether you claim they would or not - they’re never well received.

There’s just something off in this idea that because you spend a lot of time on the site, HO owes you something. HO spends a lot of time on the site, they spent a lot of time working out this expansion and plenty of other things.

For that time invested, doesn’t HO deserve to not be treated like a bag of dicks?

Many in this thread are showing some really unfortunate sides of themselves and, in my eyes, have really shown why the right choices for hires were made. They’ve also shown why any “sorry not this time” message would’ve been met with the same vitriol.

I get that some people think feedback should be commonplace. Maybe it should. But I’ve spoken to several members of the site who have done that from hiring positions for other jobs, who have continuously been met with responses to those messages that they weren’t cared for.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

I mean, can we stop treating the Commissioner role on this site like it’s an elected office that comes with a cushy government pension, countless benefits, and tangible income?

Maybe I’m biased because I’ve been there. But can we not treat decisions and practices with two sides as something that we need to “demand answers” for?

Of course people in HO need to be held accountable. We all care about the health and guidance of the league and community.

But some of you guys with this shit sometimes, it’s just not a proportional response.

The HO is very interested in improving practices and running the league more fairly and efficiently. There’s no Illuminati here, there’s no ulterior motive. It’s a shitty job to do when you care about the development of the site and are treated like you’re working for the opposite.

There always has to be blame and foul words and tempers when there could be something so much more constructive.

I mean it’s ironic that people asking for constructive feedback offer theirs in a way HO would be crucified for doing.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2020, 03:49 AM by Mutedfaith.)

Quote: It’s not enough for HO to run the league and navigate expansion - they have to become a developed country now? 

Take's not that shitty. Most US people I talk to pretty much agree nowadays. 

Quote: The HO are also human beings investing significant time into this game, into this hobby. It’s a job that unfortunately detracts from the enjoyment of the game a lot, because everything is always your fault. Very few things in this league can be a civil suggestion or disagreement, and rarely is improvement cared about when it’s still not perfection. It’s unfortunate.

Yes they are. And yes it is. Nowhere have you seen me say HO should not be treated better. 

But seeing they hold the higher office, why not have them take the lead in improving communication and respecting other users? I'm pretty sure if HO goes that route, a lot of GMs and players will follow suit and we can prevent or at least decrease the impact from future shitstorms. 

Quote: In the discussions I’ve heard about Corey being very willing to have, they take much longer than 30 seconds. I know Core, I know he’s thorough. There’s no interest in sending half-assed responses, because whether you claim they would or not - they’re never well received.

I'm not asking for 'half assed responses'. I'm asking for HO to at least let applicants know their application was received, but unsuccessful. That would be 100% better than the current MO. (and that doesn't stop at HO. I'd ask anyone to do the same). 

And yes, people may ask a followup question, maybe two. Maybe even a few. But that'll likely take less time than reading through and answering to threads like this. Also, it should be part of the HO job to communicate with the league and its members anyway. 

If your current HO doesn't have the time or ability to communicate then maybe include that as one of the factors when hiring new HO. Since this league only exists by the grace of communication. 

Quote:There’s just something off in this idea that because you spend a lot of time on the site, HO owes you something. HO spends a lot of time on the site, they spent a lot of time working out this expansion and plenty of other things.

Yes, I'm sure they do. I in no way want to devaluate what they do for this site/league. However, you can do a million things, and if you can't treat your members/players with respect they are never going to respect you. 

HO is much like a referee. If you're on the ice in your ivory tower, unwilling to communicate to players and coaches, you're not going to have a very fun game. 

Quote:For that time invested, doesn’t HO deserve to not be treated like a bag of dicks?

Sure. But does it give them the tight to treat others like a bag of dicks? 

Quote:Many in this thread are showing some really unfortunate sides of themselves and, in my eyes, have really shown why the right choices for hires were made. They’ve also shown why any “sorry not this time” message would’ve been met with the same vitriol.

While I agree with the choices that have been made, as far as I can judge them without seeing the apps, using the second part of your argument as a reason for just ghosting people after they applied is nothing less than ducking responsibility because you can't deal with someone defending their own idea. 

Quote:I get that some people think feedback should be commonplace. Maybe it should. But I’ve spoken to several members of the site who have done that from hiring positions for other jobs, who have continuously been met with responses to those messages that they weren’t cared for.

SMJHL HO started doing it when I made improving communication part of my app. 

And again, Im not saying every app deserves an indepth three page response on why their app didnt make it. But a simple, 'hey, we have received your application but unfortunately we have hired someone else.' would be a huge improvement over letting people find out when new hires are announced. 

If you want to open the door for people to get feedback on how to stand a better chance next season, include the offer to provide feedback if wanted. 

Should the user be salty and not willing or able to have a civil conversation about it, just tell them exactly that. Let them know you would like to explain, but not if he's going to be a dick about it.

And then next time a thread like this comes along, all you have to do is point to your offer to provide feedback.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

08-16-2020, 03:46 AMMutedfaith Wrote:
Quote: It’s not enough for HO to run the league and navigate expansion - they have to become a developed country now? 

Take's not that shitty. Most US people I talk to pretty much agree nowadays. 

Quote: The HO are also human beings investing significant time into this game, into this hobby. It’s a job that unfortunately detracts from the enjoyment of the game a lot, because everything is always your fault. Very few things in this league can be a civil suggestion or disagreement, and rarely is improvement cared about when it’s still not perfection. It’s unfortunate.

Yes they are. And yes it is. Nowhere have you seen me say HO should not be treated better. 

But seeing they hold the higher office, why not have them take the lead in improving communication and respecting other users? I'm pretty sure if HO goes that route, a lot of GMs and players will follow suit and we can prevent or at least decrease the impact from future shitstorms. 

Quote: In the discussions I’ve heard about Corey being very willing to have, they take much longer than 30 seconds. I know Core, I know he’s thorough. There’s no interest in sending half-assed responses, because whether you claim they would or not - they’re never well received.

I'm not asking for 'half assed responses'. I'm asking for HO to at least let applicants know their application was received, but unsuccessful. That would be 100% better than the current MO. (and that doesn't stop at HO. I'd ask anyone to do the same). 

And yes, people may ask a followup question, maybe two. Maybe even a few. But that'll likely take less time than reading through and answering to threads like this. Also, it should be part of the HO job to communicate with the league and its members anyway. 

If your current HO doesn't have the time or ability to communicate then maybe include that as one of the factors when hiring new HO. Since this league only exists by the grace of communication. 

Quote:There’s just something off in this idea that because you spend a lot of time on the site, HO owes you something. HO spends a lot of time on the site, they spent a lot of time working out this expansion and plenty of other things.

Yes, I'm sure they do. I in no way want to devaluate what they do for this site/league. However, you can do a million things, and if you can't treat your members/players with respect they are never going to respect you. 

HO is much like a referee. If you're on the ice in your ivory tower, unwilling to communicate to players and coaches, you're not going to have a very fun game. 

Quote:For that time invested, doesn’t HO deserve to not be treated like a bag of dicks?

Sure. But does it give them the tight to treat others like a bag of dicks? 

Quote:Many in this thread are showing some really unfortunate sides of themselves and, in my eyes, have really shown why the right choices for hires were made. They’ve also shown why any “sorry not this time” message would’ve been met with the same vitriol.

While I agree with the choices that have been made, as far as I can judge them without seeing the apps, using the second part of your argument as a reason for just ghosting people after they applied is nothing less than ducking responsibility because you can't deal with someone defending their own idea. 

Quote:I get that some people think feedback should be commonplace. Maybe it should. But I’ve spoken to several members of the site who have done that from hiring positions for other jobs, who have continuously been met with responses to those messages that they weren’t cared for.

SMJHL HO started doing it when I made improving communication part of my app. 

And again, Im not saying every app deserves an indepth three page response on why their app didnt make it. But a simple, 'hey, we have received your application but unfortunately we have hired someone else.' would be a huge improvement over letting people find out when new hires are announced. 

If you want to open the door for people to get feedback on how to stand a better chance next season, include the offer to provide feedback if wanted. 

Should the user be salty and not willing or able to have a civil conversation about it, just tell them exactly that. Let them know you would like to explain, but not if he's going to be a dick about it.

And then next time a thread like this comes along, all you have to do is point to your offer to provide feedback.

Usually I try to stay out of drama but I feel compelled to support HO here, and offer a different outlook.

Knowing the SHL there was 100% gonna be a Thunderdome no matter how the hirings were handled. Even if HO did exactly what many are clamouring for in this thread people would still be very upset at HO for saying no to their preferred bids - regardless of if they told them no directly or told them no by posting an announcement.

Looking at this with a more positive outlook, the fact that HO had no follow up questions for the apps could mean that they thought they were very well done, thorough, and needed no further information to make their decision. A decision that by all accounts sounds like it was very carefully made by the head office and ownership group, after considering all applicants fairly.

Finally, I'm not an American but your dig at the USA being an underdeveloped country is pretty yikes and I'll leave it at that.

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

08-15-2020, 11:38 AMCount Chocula Wrote:
08-15-2020, 02:07 AMSegi Wrote: Sometimes I do feel like a lot of people in the SHL community have a bit of a problem with telling people "no". This is not just for job applications, but for other aspects on the site as well. I've contacted very active internationally unassigned members to never hear anything back until they transfer somewhere. I've heard SHL GMs say the same about free agents. I don't get what's so hard about telling people that you're not interested in their team or that unfortunately, you can't give them the job they applied for.

I'm sorry if this is a little off topic, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while now.

Why waste time telling 50 people No, when they'll find out they didn't get the job in the announcement post.

A show of respect and appreciation for the time they invested in the application. It shows that I received and considered their app and not just went with anyone.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

I mean our response to COVID-19 has been a little off, to put it lightly, but under-developed because someone in Head Office (it's not a real office FYI, it's just a pretend thing, all of this is really) didn't send you a rejection letter? I don't know.

Imagine if a mentor or updater said that about a user because they messed something up. Yikes.

I liked the original point being made here but it's kind of gone now, as is tradition.

Renegades  raiders  Finland