Create Account

S57 PT #4 - Rivalry Week

Honestly I am uncertain of the rival to the Carolina Kraken, but eventually we would take a wild guess that it would be the Anchorage Armada. Way back in my first season in the SMJHL most beef in the locker room considering how the games went, were against Anchorage Armada. I dont know if it was their style of play or the tactics or just individual players but there was something in the air that just sparks up immediately after these two teams face against each other. All the games for the past 2 seasons have been tough for both teams to win, especially this season when for the first time in a while the tables seem to have been turned for their favor, but still Carolina manages to clinch wins here and there. In the playoffs I wouldnt want to be in either of these teams when they face each other because that will eventually be one of the most fierce matchups in the game.

166 words

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

PT

Pass

Code:
words = 185
The biggest rival for the Edmonton Blizzard has got to be the no good, dirty, down right ugly cheaters from the Hamilton Steelhawks. I will admit it, I hate that franchise. Part of my hate comes from the fact that they just seem to be better at manipulating the sim than other teams. The other part of my hate, which results from the former, is that Edmonton has met them in the playoffs several times now, including in the finals, and not been able to beat them. They have single-handedly turned my beloved Edmonton Blizzard into the Buffalo Bills of the late 80s and early 90s (going to 4 straight Superbowls and winning none of them).

To be fair, and nuanced, I don't dislike any of the users/players on the Hamilton squad. I don't even really know any of them so I can't hate them. It is the franchise itself, as an institution, that I loath with the passion and white hot intensity of a thousand suns. So to all of you Hamilton Steelhawks out there... Merry Christmas mf-ers!

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 06:40 PM by charlieconway.)

Quote:Which team is your team's biggest rival in the league and why? This could be due to recent history, old history, medium history, personal beef, branding antagonism, etc. - whatever the reason, which team in the league would you consider to be the biggest rival of your team? (SHL or SMJHL).
Written Task: 150 words min. on the above

I haven't been with the Toronto North Stars for long, but I think the biggest rival we have are the Buffalo Stampede. I just get the feeling that they've been a thorn in our side for a while now, seasons running, even when we were a bottom feeder. They have a great roster, and they're in the same division, so it's a pretty natural fit for a rivalry. I can see the North Stars and Stampede butting heads a lot in the future when it comes to races for the top spot in the Great Lakes division.

To be completely honest, I have my own personal sort of rivalry, in that there is a team that I loved to beat toward the end of my tenure with the Jets: the New Orleans Specters. For some reason, it just felt good to get one over on them, and it has literally nothing to do with the players that play or played with them. I think in my mind I associate them with being a good team, since they were for quite a long time. If you win a game, great. If you beat a great team for that win, even better.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

I'm (currently) a member of the New England Wolfpack, one of the more historical franchises in the SHL. Still, I find it hard to determine a rival for us as I haven't been with the team for that long (don't know our history well) and we've been far from successful during my time there. I'd be inclined to say one of Hamilton or Manhattan but I disagree. I think our current rival should, and will, be the Tampa Bay Barracuda. Presently, both of these teams stink. That's the only way to put it; these two teams are not that good yet one of them will make the playoffs which is nice I guess. However, with Tampa's seemingly never-ending stockpile of really promising young players thanks to their great drafting as of late as well as New England's smaller yet equally as promising pool, with both teams having some players already up (namely Knight, Kristjansson, Cuddles, Balzams, Panico, Topalo, Keahi, Forrester), these teams see a bright future ahead and will be fighting with each other not only for the Atlantic Division title but the Challenge Cup as well.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

PBE Affiliate PT +3 TPE

For the Jets, I would say the issue of a rivalry isn't just isolated to one team, but two.  The first rival is both a division and conference rival in the Edmonton Blizzard.  For us, to get beyond third in our division, especially in the last two seasons they seem to be the gatekeepers to the Northwest Division dominating Calgary Dragons...but also I think there may be some beef history between @Keygan and @Muerto, but I can only speculate if there is any there or not.  They truly are just tough to get past...but I think we're getting there.

The other rival for us lies just in the conference in those dastardly Texas Renegades.   Those cowboys have repeatedly been in heated races with us for playoff spots in recent history and they have no inhibitions about coming out with guns blazing.  Don't get me wrong, they have a pretty stacked and jacked team...but nothing would make me happier than to finish higher than them in the Western Conference...especially to put the thumb on that dang Adam Scianna and his hard slapshots.

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

Historically speaking I would have to say our rival was the Edmonton Blizzard, but that ship has sailed. Manhattan is now a divisional rival, but there's no real ill will there either. I suppose that as Blues said earlier, we are projecting towards an Atlantic Division upheaval where Tampa Bay and New England will be going toe-to-toe similarly to what we've seen out of the Great Lakes with Buffalo and Hamilton engaging in an annual dick measuring contest. Baltimore seems to be on the same sort of trajectory as well, so it certainly will be intriguing to watch. Either way, I will enjoy watching Michael Fitted continue to vomit words onto articles in an incoherent manner as his team rises from the ashes. After all, the 0-50 season was quite historical. I look forward to having the Atlantic Division be a battleground between the Pack and the WaterDogs. I can assure you, there will be a Floridan team to chomp chomp on.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

I’d say, at least in my personal opinion, that the Anchorage Armada’s top rival right now would be the Quebec Citadels. They’re good. They’re really good. They lead the league and the east in the standings and it feels like we’re always chasing them and trying to catch up with them. With all of Anchorage’s success this season and having a pretty respectable 24-7-4 record, we are still EIGHT points behind Quebec. They do have three games in hand over us, so we are hoping with those three games we can close the gap. The problem with them is they are a goal scoring powerhouse. They have 149 goals for this season, which is 30 more than the next highest team (which is us). Their defense and goaltending isn’t as good, as they have allowed 102 goals this season, which is 33 more than us. Basically, if we make it to the finals, it’s going to be against Quebec. They’re an offensive powerhouse, we’re a defensive powerhouse. But I feel like our offense is better than their defense, so I think we’ll have the edge.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

For this PT I wish to go back to my Kelowna Knights' days and discuss who our rivalries. The first team that comes to mind that Kelowna had a rivalry with during my team on the team was the Anchorage Armada. S51 the Kelowna Knights and Anchorage Armada met in the SMJHL Finals and the round went to 7 games. The Anchorage managed to win the first 2 games, while Kelowna climbed back winning the next 3. The Armada edged out Kelowna in the 7th game by a score of 4-3. I remember my player Kavanagh was on the bench that game as a backup, backing up future hall of fame goaltender, Luca Del Vecchio. This was my first taste of the cup in my first season as a Knight. We felt like we were the better team that year and it still stings to think about how close we came to a cup. S53 also comes to mind when we lost in the Finals to Detroit 4 games to 2. I would say Detroit was the most hated team in the SMJHL, especially during that time however, I was most upset up the Anchorage taking the S51 cup from us I did not pay much attention to this. Losing to Detroit in S53 hurt all the same as this would be the last chance I would see the finals as an SMJHL player. Making the Finals twice in 3 seasons and losing both can create some rivalries to last a very, very long time.

Word Count: 255

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

The team that I currently play for is Buffalo Stampede and if i had to choose another team as the biggest rivals, it would have to be none other than Hamilton Steelhawks themselves. The steelhawks are the current champions and have known to win a lot of challenge cups. Buffalo is no slouch either as they won one recently as well. But I just dont know what it is with Hamilton but they always exceed expectations. Someone on their team is a genius when it comes to FHM and knows the ins and outs of the game. They know where to put emphasis and where not to. This has caused the team to excel in their performance. The Steelhawks are currently 1st in the league with 42 wins and 86 points. Buffalo is second in the league with 38 wins and 79 points. As you can see we are not too far apart but the Steelhawks always seem to outperform us. Even worse is that both teams play for the same division so it is always a war. Three of the best teams in the league play in the same division with hamilton, Buffalo and Chicago.

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

Due to the fact that I‘m playing for Anchorage Armada, the most obvious rivals are the Vancouver Whalers and Kelowna Knights. The Vancouver Whalers were trash over most of the recents seasons, at least as long I‘m in the league. Yeah, there is this one last season that was a bit different and they had success, but they slipped very fast to the bottom of the rankings again. This leaves the Kelowna Knights as the ultimate rivals in our division. The Knights were blessed with success as long as I can remember - which isn‘t very long to be fair. But to me it seems they are the biggest rivals. I mean our two division rivals try to be as close as it gets, with those two towns both situated in British-Columbia, Canada, only 270 km apart.
I honestly doubt that there ever were Knights in Kelowna, so not sure where the name really comes from. Year in year out we‘ll try to crush them in their most beloved sports.

Uh, i forgot to mention the Maine Timber. Those are the real rivals since I‘m in the league. They lucked us out of playoffs two seasons ago, that was the most undeserved win I‘ve ever seen here in a series. I have a strong urge to see them lose whenever they play. Wood is like the dumbest emblem you can have too, no bias.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]

My player plays for team called Buffalo Stampede. I think that these two words says it all - our biggest rival at this moment is Hamilton Steelhawks. It's hard to count how many times these two teams have met in finals and how many close games we've had. Not even talking about all these fights and beefs between both teams.

And seems like this season it will cotinue - both teams are at the top of standings and might see each other in Play-Offs or even the Finals aswell. This rivalry is really old and it continues with time. Will they meet in the Finals again?

I guess, at least Stampede have never changed their branding and logo and we can be proud of that. This rivalry will be long and will continue, because both teams have amazing rosters and will be amazing for next couple of seasons. Who knows - maybe it will be again 7 games series in Finals this season too.

161 words

Stars Stars Stars

The Rage don't really currently have a rival that we are striving to beat. If we look at our division, we used to faceoff against NEW and because of that proximity we have always considered them a rival. Since they have gone on a minor rebuild, their influence on our division has diminished. With the Rage taking # 1 spot for now this then turns my eye toward the great lakes and the Steelhawks who have crushed our playoff dreams time and time again. We have faced off against them so many times in ths open window that its almost becoming the playoff norm to have a good round 1 bye and a round 2 loss to Hamilton or Buff. With our players starting to get a little older, this window is closing but I think well get another shot at the cup in this decade before we look to the youth to rebuild. So final thoughts are, NEW is our divisional rival because of history and branding while HAM/BUF are our current Cup rivals.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]