Create Account

Williams Final Media

[2658 Words, Double Media Week - Holidays Edition]

A lot of things have happened since I started this journey in S42. I think it is only right to start from the beginning. I was born in a city outside of Detroit where I learned to play hockey at a young age. Growing up, I knew I wanted to play hockey professionally. Being from Detroit, I was able to watch the Detroit Falcons play a ton. It wasn’t until I was a bit older that I realized I could be playing there for my junior career, and maybe even get a chance to play in the big leagues. So I set my goal and worked hard to get there. I used to play in these youth tournaments with a lot of guys who would later go on to be SHL stars. Most notable was goaltender Aleister Cain. Cain was from Chicago, but would come up to Michigan for the many youth tournaments held. It is here where we first met. While not always on the same team, we struck up a friendship that has lasted a very long time. Fun fact, Cain just announced he will be calling it quits this season too. At 16, I started getting scouted and prepped for the SMJHL. I found myself training more and more at  the gym. I remember reading the first scouting report that went out about me. “Williams is a good two way forward with a nose for the net. Don’t expect him to play physical though, he can barely push a bowling pin over.” Harsh right? I used that as motivation. Still not a big time hitter, but I do enjoy lifting the stick and stealing the puck away.

The SMJHL Years

In Season 42 I was lucky enough to be eligible for the S42 SMJHL entry draft. One of the best drafts in SHL history. Some great players came from this draft - Luke Thomason, Goku Mureto, Rex Kirkby, Tig Murphy, Philipp Winter, and so on. I had the pleasure of playing with some truly great people from this class. I knew going into the draft I would not be high on many people’s list. A two-way forward who comes from some unknown junior team was not a highly sought after target. I did talk to most scouts though and I believe I ended up in the best spot for me. After a very nice conversation with their co-General Manager, St Louis quickly shot up my list of desirable teams. This was strange, I grew up in Detroit and watching Detroit play. St Louis was their rivals but I felt like going to the Scarecrows would be better. Detroit was still on my list of teams to play for, but unfortunately they never reached out to interview me. When the draft finally came around, I was pumped. I sat through 5 rounds of names being called, not hearing mine within those 5 rounds hurt a little inside. I thought I would go higher, I was naive back then. With the 41st overall pick in the S42 SMJHL entry draft, St Louis Scarecrows selected me, Nicholas Williams. The kid from Detroit with big dreams, was about to get a taste of professional hockey.
With the draft over and the season about to begin, I quickly learned the ins and outs of the Scarecrows organization. Also drafted to the Scarecrows was my long time friend, Aleister Cain. The first season wasn’t the best for the Scarecrows, but it brought a group of guys closer together and motivated us all to be better. The Scarecrows finished second from last with a very, very young squad. While I finished that first season with a solid 22 points. The next season was way better than my first. The Scarecrows were clicking and things were going our way. The rookies from last season were now seasoned players ready to fight for the cup. We finished second to Vancouver in the regular season standings. What a change from last season. We’d beat Detroit in the second round in a 7 game series of pure aggression, only to fall short to the league favorite Vancouver Whalers. I led the league in playoff points, which helped me secure the Ronan O’Keefe title, despite the loss. S44 would end up being my last season in St Louis. I was determined to win a cup before my time was up. We ended up finishing second again, but to our long time rivals Detroit this time. With a buy to the second round, we had to wait to see who we would play. Vancouver sunk the Armada in a 7 game series and moved on to face us in the second round. This was the rematch I was wanting. A chance to show we are better than last year's outcome. It took 7 games, but we put the Whalers down for good. Our rivals in Detroit lost in 7 to Colorado. While we would have loved to face Detroit in the finals, the Raptors came out victorious and they were unlucky to face us. We did not waste any time this series. We swept the Raptors back to the stone age and secured the Cup for my beloved Scarecrows. Fun fact, I won the Playoff points leader once again for the second season in a row. The only player in SMJHL history to win the Ronan O’Keefe award twice, and back to back at that. My celebration was cut short, I was called up immediately after finishing the game. The Jets wanted me to play on their third line in their finals series against West Kendall.

The SHL Years

I was drafted to the Winnipeg Jets, 22nd overall in the S43 SHL Entry Draft. The Jets actually traded up to get me, which was quite surprising because I had zero contact with anyone in their camp. They treated me great from day one. Flappy was a great GM who really cared about the team. When they called me up in the S44 SHL finals, I thought it was just to warm the bench or sit in the press box in case someone was injured. Little did I know I would center their third line for a game. I say a game, because the only game I played in that stint was the championship winning game. I didn’t just sit around and milk it, I went and played hard against players I considered out of my league. I scored a goal on my first shift against one of the best goalies in the league, at that time. The Jets would lift the challenge cup and I got to celebrate with my new team. My official call up to Winnipeg for the next season was tough. St Louis had a really good team now and knowing I would have to leave them was a little upsetting. They would go on to win the Four Star Cup two more times after my departure to complete the three peat. The Jets did not look bad either though. It’s hard to be bad after winning a cup right? The Jets would finish 5th in the league, still good enough to make the playoffs but not in the best spot. We’d face off against Texas. Unfortunately we would not be able to win a game over Texas, we were bounced in the first round.
That offseason had me thinking really hard with what I wanted to do with my career. Winnipeg was willing to give me everything I needed to succeed, but something felt off there. I do not know why, but I wasn’t liking the team. I liked the people there, I liked the management, but I couldn’t gel with the team as a whole for some reason. I decided I would test free agency in the S46 offseason. This would start a wild ride for me. Winnipeg understood my wishes and said they would be trading my rights to another team to see if I would fit there. My rights were traded to Edmonton Blizzard for about ~6 hours. After a talk with their general manager, I express my interest to test free agency and talk to more teams. They understood and proceeded to trade my rights to another team. Texas was on the top of my list before the S43 entry draft. All the mocks had me going there at 23OA and I was very much wanting that. When they traded for my rights from Edmonton, I was happy. The manager talked to me directly about joining the Renegades. I would stick to my guns and explained to them I wanted to test free agency. They were very understanding and wished me well. Why was I so adamant about testing free agency in this offseason? Well, two new teams were joining the league. Chicago Syndicate and the New Orleans Specters. It is not every day a young player has an opportunity to play for a brand new team, and the appeal of being able to set team records was high in me. Once free agency opened up, I received messages from all over the place. New England really wanted me, they offered everything and a letter to come join them. The draw to them was strong, and I almost took it, but I got another message a few minutes later that changed everything. My old St Louis GM reached out to me about signing with New Orleans. It took me about an hour to decide which team I wanted to join. I was still considering Texas too, so three teams on my mind weighing all the different options was tough. I decided to join New Orleans as their very first free agent signing.
New Orleans was like home when I joined. I knew so many great players there from the get go. Aleister Cain was selected first overall in the expansion draft from Edmonton, so it was good to be playing with him once again. DeMaricus Smyth would be at St Louis training camps and practices to help out, him being a Specter was a huge motivator too. There were players in their prime who also joined the Specters, Joe Kurczewski, my childhood hero, was here. Oisin Fletcher, Piotr Czerkawski, and Roman Augustus were also here and were ready to tear it up. That first season with New Orleans was unforgettable. We went to the finals, but ended up losing in game 7 in a heartbreaking affair with Buffalo. Despite the loss, New Orleans was here and already making an impact. There is no doubt in my mind that I was on the right team. Though we’ve made the playoffs every season since the beginning, it was until S54 when we would finally lift the Challenge Cup. The pressure of being good for so long finally released. Everyone played outstanding and it was one of the greatest experiences of my career. Sure, I had a ring from Winnipeg, but I never felt like I earned that one. This one was different. I fought for this from the beginning. We’d once again face Buffalo in a series final the very next season. Us high from the season previous still, we're looking to win back to back ships. We were once again cut short in a game 7 loss. Heartbroken, body aging, and realizing my younger years are gone, I made the decision to start my retirement plans.
I would be done playing hockey following the S57 season. It was a tough decision, but after many years of fighting to be the best and always coming up short were getting to me. Not only that, but my body was no longer in the best condition. Many seasons of playing this game have taken its toll on me. Luckly, I was selected as the co-general manager spot in New Orleans where I will continue to have my life revolve around hockey, just from a different aspect. I am very lucky to have this opportunity.

The Last Skate

As season 57 rages on, the New Orleans Specters find themselves rebuilding. It was inevitable, we lost some really great people and players in the last couple seasons with no prospects to replace them. It was time. We’ve started off the rebuild with 4 first round picks in the S57 draft. We picked up some really great prospects who are excited to be the future of this club. Because of the rebuild, we made a few more tough decisions. Have you ever traded yourself before? I can say I have. I was traded to Los Angeles for one last cup run. The Panthers are in a good position to make a solid cup run, not only that, I was reunited with some ex-Specters who were happy to have me along for the ride. My game may have changed now, I don’t score as much as I used to, but I play a highly defensive game now. Reliable on the PK and able to boost some younger players chances at succeeding. While this season is still ongoing, I think the Panthers are about to make a deep run into the playoffs. Hell, they might be on top of the division soon. For now, I think it is best to just play it out and do my best to help this team succeed. My managing duties in New Orleans are on a temporary hold, but it is not going anywhere and I’ll be back in a few weeks.

Awards and Such

I have been lucky enough to win a few things in my career, but not many awards in the SHL. In the Juniors, I was a stud. Winning the Ronan O’Keefe award (Playoff Points Leader) in seasons 43 and 44, the Brandon Holmes (Top Defensive Forward) in S43, the Raymond Lindsay (MVP voted by the people)  in S43, nominated for the Onoprienko (Most Underrated) in S43, and the Brodie Witzel (Playoff MVP) in S44. I also have one Four Star Cup in S44 and two King-Kurczewski Gauntlet (Winner of Eastern Conference Finals, Team).
In the SHL, I wasn’t as lucky. S50 2nd Team All Star, S51 Runner Up Ron Mexico (Regular Season MVP), S51 1st Team All Star, and S54 nominated Anton Razov (Playoff MVP). I won 2 challenge cups in S44 and S54, while also winning the Cole Reinhard Trophy (West Playoff Champs, Team) in S46, S54, and S55.
For international play, I represented the greatest nation in the world, Team USA. In the WJC, I won Gold in S42 and Silver in S43 and S44. In the IIHF, I won gold in S50, S51, and S53. Silver in S45 and S48. Bronze in S52. No international awards though.
I am a proud member of the Quad Club, which I joined in S50. The Quad Club is for players who win the Four Star Cup, WJC Gold, IIHF Gold, and a Challenge Cup. This one took me a lot longer than I thought, I had ¾ of this done by S44, the IIHF Gold was the hardest but finally came in S50.
My best season, statistically speaking, was S51. I exploded in S51 notching 27 goals and 35 assists. A solid plus 18 and a low 6 PIMs. This was the season I was runner up to Tony Pepperoni for the Ron Mexico. He notched 66 points to my 62, and deserved it over me. Hard working player who is still playing.

Final Goodbyes

Now that it is all coming to an end, I get to look forward to managing the Specters and getting them back on track to being the best team in the league. At this time I would like to shout out all the people who helped me forge this amazing career. All the Specters, my new teammates in LAP,  the Jets, my Scarebros, all the USA gang, and my fellow S43 class. It’s been a wild ride, thanks for making it a fun one!

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ

Great read.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Legend

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

<3

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Picked you to come to STL.

Picked you to come to NOLA.

Picked you to lead the Scarecrows.

Picked you to replace the unreplaceable (for me) in NOLA as Co-GM.

You make me look good every time. <3

RIP Williams.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

A true legend, not only for every team Williams played on but a legend of the SHL as well.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]