Create Account

When Tactical Analysis goes Horribly Wrong: Rise of the Machines
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 11:45 PM by boom.)

[387 words, ready for grading]

Context: While running test sims for the Whalers' second round, I somehow managed to get into a bizarre softlock situation and have no idea how it happened, so I decided to have a little fun with it.

While analyzing film and tactics for the Vancouver Whalers' upcoming playoff series against the league-leading Kelowna Knights, head GM Kelvin Jensen ran into a bizarre occurrence that defies all explanation. Jensen loaded in team offensive data and his observations from film data of the Knights, into a computer simulation program that the team used to determine what might need to be changed in this series from the previous one if they hoped to pull off the 8th-seed upset. Everything looked fine for the first few runs. A few series wins, a few losses, while the system sorted itself out. Then, on the sixth simulation, with the Whalers up 3-2 in their series against Kelowna, something went wrong. An error message that defied all logic.

"Not enough skaters to create lineup for Quebec City Citadelles!"

That's odd, Jensen thought. The system had data for every team in the league to allow for detailed simulations, but all of Quebec's settings had been left on the default since it wasn't necessary to upload their expected parameters. Shrugging, Jensen clicked the button to simulate past the issue.

This was starting to get annoying. Jensen didn't want to lose this simulation, as the Whalers were up 3-2 in the series and playing very well, so he clicked the button a third time.

Finally out of patience, Kelvin Jensen booted up the lineup for the Citadelles and saw...a perfectly good lineup with 18 skaters, 2 goalies, and looking perfectly normal. This lineup had worked fine for the first few games of their series, so why had it failed now? Jensen grimaced and pressed the button for a fourth time.

At this point, Jensen got fed up and just rebooted the system. He ran the simulation from the start and...everything was normal. The problem, whatever it was, had disappeared as quickly as it arrived.

The moral of the story, is that computers are sentient. They are alive. And sometimes, they just decide to say "No." And if the Vancouver Whalers ever go up 3-2 in a playoff series, prepare for the end of the world and buy all the Skynet stock you can afford.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

WHALERS WIN, GME TO THE MOON

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Good talk son

03-18-2021, 11:57 PMsteveoiscool Wrote: WHALERS WIN, GME TO THE MOON
DIAMOND HANDS BABY

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Not enough words to create comment for When Tactical Analysis goes Horribly Wrong: Rise of the Machines!

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

I make sure to thank my Roomba every time it finishes cleaning my floors so that I am hopefully spared when the robots take over.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

The sim is just predicting S59. QCC definitely will not have enough skaters next season.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

@Faelax how do you answer to crimes against machines?

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

03-19-2021, 04:53 PMNhamlet Wrote: @Faelax how do you answer to crimes against machines?
The machines ain't shit

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]