Create Account

S58 SMJHL Awards Press Conference
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 11:35 AM by Matteo.)

Hey everyone! 

If you didn't already hear, last night was the season 58 SMJHL Awards Show! Just want to start off by giving a big thank you to everyone who took the time to watch it, live events like this are one of the many things that make the SHL really special. Also want to give a shoutout to Trips and Smith for hosting the show, and a huge congratulations to all our amazing nominees and winners (you can find them here).

This AMA concludes my first season as SMJHL Awards Head, and while there were some bumps along the way, I'd like to think think it overall went pretty smoothly. There are some things in my mind for how I think we could improve going forward for next season, for example I think a little more discussion before voting would go a long way. Any other ideas I'm going to keep secret for now until I talk to the committee about them at the start of next season, but if anyone has ideas for how we can be better I'm always open to criticism and ideas! Otherwise if you have any questions, feel free to ASK ME ANYTHING!

04-07-2021, 02:42 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: How was rookie of the year decided?
We look at all around game when deciding who to give the Anrikkanen to, I assume you're wondering why it went to Balcers and not to you. Let me start off by saying that you both had incredible rookie seasons and were the clear top two for this award. We did give the slight edge to Balcers for how much he was able to do offensively as a defenseman, even though your 38 points were super impressive. Defensively I don't remember the exact numbers and they're not in the index anymore, but I remember thinking you had better numbers in that area. Looking at these stats alone you two were basically tied, but where Balcers really stood out was in the advanced stats, his stats/60 were no doubt helped by being on a contender in NL, but they were also all either best or 2nd best on his team. His corsi was also unbelievable for being a rookie, he led his team in cf% with 67.4, which was 8.4% better than the average player on the team. To your credit most of your stats/60 were near the top of the Whalers, but looking at corsi and especially relative cf% is where you fell behind the most. With all that said, I'm really looking forward to watching your player progress, ASM will be superstar status in no time.

Also ignore JNH, he smells bad.

04-11-2021, 12:47 PMhhh81 Wrote: What was the most surprising part of your first season as Awards Head? Anything you would want to do differently in the future?

Any big (or small) changes you're contemplating for the committee down the road?

What did you think about the awards show this season?
There weren't any huge surprises I would say since both you and BadWolf did a great job to prepare me for this role, the only thing I can think of is how many last-minute applicants I got for committee members, I think only one application came in over 24 hours before the deadline, and I want to say two came in with an hour or less to go. To quote what JURT said to me, people love the last minute, although I wish they didn't because I was worried I was gonna have to start my first season as head one member short! That's why I'm excited for next season, I'll have lots of time to make sure everything is in place before the regular season ends, unlike this past season where I came in late.

As for changes, I won't announce anything without having a good talk with the committee first, but stay tuned because there are some things on my mind that I think could improve the final product we deliver. Something small that I said already though is that I will be looking to increase discussion a little bit before voting happens.

And the awards show, I don't remember who the people who did all of that were but I thought they did a pretty good job. Naw but in all honesty you and Smith did amazing throughout the whole process, from organizing to preparing to executing the awards show. I was lucky to have you two, and shout out to JURT who was also awesome when he came in later on.

04-11-2021, 12:48 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: What plans do you have for the future? Any big shakeups?

What's one thing you wish you knew before you came into the role that you know now

Biggest surprise of the season?
Like I said to Trips, I'll wait to announce any big changes until I talk to the committee about them, just have to get organized a little bit before then but stay tuned probably around the start of the season!

For stuff I wish I knew before I started, there wasn't much since I had a good long chat with Trips before I applied talking about what I would have to do, and he also stuck around this season to help me and answer my dumb questions and generally advise me. I'm super thankful for that since things wouldn't have gone nearly as smoothly without him lol

Biggest surprise of the season awards-wise, overall I thought that pretty much everyone who won was deserving, and I don't want to take away from anyone's victories so I won't say that I was really shocked by any of them, some of the ones that snuck into the 3rd spots I was a little more surprised by, and to name a name there I definitely wasn't expecting myself to be a nominee for the Miller, (and I didn't vote for myself either there, that would be tacky haha), a couple committee members went rogue on me there Laughing

04-11-2021, 01:46 PMNhamlet Wrote: What's a message that you wish that you could get out to all the viewers eagerly looking forward to the results of the awards, prior to releasing the awards?

In your own opinion, how highly should a lava lamp ownership be taken into award consideration?
Something I would say to everyone waiting for the awards results for next season would be to remember the human, not me since there's a good chance I'm actually a robot, but the awards winners, even if the awards come out and you feel that maybe somebody else should have won, remember that the person who did win is probably really happy about that and the worst thing you can do to them is belittle them or make them feel bad for doing something great. Also stop asking me to leak the results to you before the show, I won't do it.

In a perfect world, everyone would own at least one lava lamp and so it wouldn't be taken into account in awards voting, but unfortunately that isn't the world we live in today. If I did take this into account then that means that Tez and I would win every award which just isn't fair unfortunately. Maybe half the awards but not all of them.

Code:
1069 words, ready for some nice grading! If anyone else has any questions for me my DMs are always open!

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

How was rookie of the year decided?

By picking the better rookie.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

04-07-2021, 02:51 PMJNH Wrote:

oof

04-07-2021, 02:51 PMJNH Wrote:

Thats not very nice... I just wanted to ask.

Bumping pressers. Remember to close presser if you want them graded. Otherwise we will leave them up for more questions!

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

04-11-2021, 12:01 PMDELIRIVM Wrote: Bumping pressers. Remember to close presser if you want them graded. Otherwise we will leave them up for more questions!
Thanks! I'll leave this open for a bit longer if anyone has any more questions  Smile

What was the most surprising part of your first season as Awards Head? Anything you would want to do differently in the future?

Any big (or small) changes you're contemplating for the committee down the road?

What did you think about the awards show this season?

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

What plans do you have for the future? Any big shakeups?

What's one thing you wish you knew before you came into the role that you know now

Biggest surprise of the season?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

What's a message that you wish that you could get out to all the viewers eagerly looking forward to the results of the awards, prior to releasing the awards?

In your own opinion, how highly should a lava lamp ownership be taken into award consideration?

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Answered to here!