Create Account

Hockey Talk Tonight #45 (April 22, 2021)
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 10:19 AM by sve7en.)

[x minutes]

[Image: SHN_Red_lightgrey_wordmark.png] Presents...
[Image: HKrnj8t.png]

Flex got the 2nd vaccine dose, Smith is simming preseason at 6PM, and I'm tired. See you soon, sorry <3

We back.

As done last summer, I'll be donating subscription proceeds (and matching the first 20) to the charity drive while it's going on.

As always, you can ask us questions here, or in the HTT Question Thread!

--HTT Topics--
Early season takes

--user questions--
[ALL] hhh81 - I am so incredibly excited to hear you talk about Seattle's week. How have your predictions changed with everything that happened since the last HTT?
[ALL] Thatguy91 - Your top 3 prospects from the draft?
[ALL] Thatguy91 - Who was the biggest steal in the draft according to you?
[ALL] Thatguy91 - Where do you think is more likely we see the next set of expansion teams, Europe or Mexico?
[ALL] Katth - How do we fix the All Star Game nominations?
[ALL] Katth - Expand or add 4th lines?
[ALL] Katth - You talked about Esa last week, what's your take on his successor?
[ALL] Gucci - What do you think of active players going undrafted, merited or not?
[ALL] Gucci - Would expansion solve the issue of roster logjams that people around the league seem to be anticipating?
[ALL] CementHands - Biggest fantasy sleepers with a brief explanation.
[ALL] Charlieconway - Does having the Western Conference above the Eastern Conference in the new index bother you as much as it bothers me? (as someone used to the NHL.com standings page)
[ALL] Charlieconway - I asked this of the Rich and Luke podcast a couple of weeks ago, and I'll ask you the same: if you could set one of your player's attributes to 23 at no TPE cost, which would you pick and why? Do you think your choice would be a common one among players at your position?

--closers--
[ALL] Thatguy91 - We all have our favourite hockey food but whats your favourite golf friendly food? Can be something you eat while playing or while watching.
[ALL] Bloomey - If you could only play one sport for the rest of your life, what would it be?
[sve7en] CementHands - What material is the most... Let's say chaffe friendly for tank tops?
[ALL] Charlieconway - If you had to pick one hollywood actor to play your player in a movie based on their life, who would it be?

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

i hate self-promo with a goddamn passion but i would really like to see my expansion article discussed

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Don't disrespect my question

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

What do you think about @bluesfan55 's expansion article? Figured I'd ask since I know he'd never dare self-promote.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

04-16-2021, 05:28 PMhhh81 Wrote: Don't disrespect my question

I saw dw

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Any thoughts on the upcoming draft class?

Which user most likely beats you in something else?

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 05:56 PM by sve7en.)

we get vacc
we eat snacc

but most importantly

we bac

lets raise some money

strim up

Awesome show tonight guys!

[Image: Wally.png]

Good show, shame I can never follow it live so I can't comment on the discussion. But regarding 4th lines vs expansion. The argument you guys talk about pretty extensively is the amount of minutes for a 4th line player being low and not motivating, but there's nothing holding back a GM/coach to give the 4th line more minutes evenly spread compared to your other lines. Sure it takes away icetime for your top lines and we get less performance for top players, but I think that's a weak argument. And talking about parity, what kind of parity are we looking for? Because if it's parity compared to real life hockey leagues than expansion would not be the way to go, but in terms of fixing the logjam expansion is most likely the better options. Also 4th lines affecting milestones could be a thing, but milestones are not set in stone every season. They are based on league averages and calculated every season. So if overall league production is lower, milestones will be lower as well.

I'm not pro 4th lines or anything, I just want the logjam with the SMJHL to be fixed and if most people in the league agree that expansion is the way to go then that's it. It's just some food for thought, cause I think people don't bring up the right arguments in the discussion.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

04-23-2021, 04:53 AMKatth Wrote: Good show, shame I can never follow it live so I can't comment on the discussion. But regarding 4th lines vs expansion. The argument you guys talk about pretty extensively is the amount of minutes for a 4th line player being low and not motivating, but there's nothing holding back a GM/coach to give the 4th line more minutes evenly spread compared to your other lines. Sure it takes away icetime for your top lines and we get less performance for top players, but I think that's a weak argument. And talking about parity, what kind of parity are we looking for? Because if it's parity compared to real life hockey leagues than expansion would not be the way to go, but in terms of fixing the logjam expansion is most likely the better options. Also 4th lines affecting milestones could be a thing, but milestones are not set in stone every season. They are based on league averages and calculated every season. So if overall league production is lower, milestones will be lower as well.

I'm not pro 4th lines or anything, I just want the logjam with the SMJHL to be fixed and if most people in the league agree that expansion is the way to go then that's it. It's just some food for thought, cause I think people don't bring up the right arguments in the discussion.

I agree expansion is the better option for fixing J roster logjams specifically, though I think we're at an okay spot there right now. I also agree that discussions about parity and milestones are irrelevant at best, and potentially fully irrelevant. 

My big issue is that I don't think SHL GMs as a whole would do anything but give out minimum minutes to people just to fill the roster out. 4th lines are good on the J side, but that's I think the limit for their effectiveness as a tool for the league to use.

Also, we had 18 subs last night, so I'll be getting that donation together today.