Create Account

How'd We Do 2 - Part 5 (2x Media)

06-14-2021, 10:26 AMMutedfaith Wrote:
06-14-2021, 10:13 AMMayuu Wrote: So what's the LR culture like then? If you don't mind me asking..
Its fine, tbf. It's not hyperactive or anything, but we have people talking.

And we def have a decent group of people working with the GMs in the warroom.

That's fair, JY is an experienced GM and user on the site. Maybe he came to the same conclusion as you, your LR activity is OK but it needs to be outstanding to get the team from the rut it's currently in.

I don't think there's any malice from JY

RETIRED

06-14-2021, 11:03 AMMayuu Wrote:
06-14-2021, 10:26 AMMutedfaith Wrote: Its fine, tbf. It's not hyperactive or anything, but we have people talking.

And we def have a decent group of people working with the GMs in the warroom.

That's fair, JY is an experienced GM and user on the site. Maybe he came to the same conclusion as you, your LR activity is OK but it needs to be outstanding to get the team from the rut it's currently in.

I doubt there is. But it's still pretty bad form to openly speculate on how the LR culture of another SHL team is as an SHL GM.

And given the growth in the last few seasons, our team is hardly in a rut.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

06-14-2021, 11:06 AMMutedfaith Wrote:
06-14-2021, 11:03 AMMayuu Wrote: That's fair, JY is an experienced GM and user on the site. Maybe he came to the same conclusion as you, your LR activity is OK but it needs to be outstanding to get the team from the rut it's currently in.

I doubt there is. But it's still pretty bad form to openly speculate on how the LR culture of another SHL team is as an SHL GM.

And given the growth in the last few seasons, our team is hardly in a rut.

I hope you are right, and I bet we all want a more competitive league.

RETIRED

I didn't see anything bad in JY's post, shouldn't people be allowed to be critical and offer controversial takes in their media pieces as long as they stay respectful? Aren't those the most engaging ones for us readers? I rarely see articles where someone is willing to go as in-depth in his analysis of teams that aren't his own as JY is here, this kind of work should be celebrated, not trashed because he slightly criticized a team that has objectively not had a lot of success lately.

As the MIN head GM allow me to step in for a second to possibly expand on this. I get where Muted's frustration comes. I don't begrudge JY for the article, as many have said he makes a much deeper analysis in these than most do. I do think he is simply offering what he sees from the outside and as a long serving GM. But part of the frustration I and many people who I have brought into Minny's War Room is changing the league's perception of us as a team. Hell this point was a major part of my application when I applied for the job. People have been calling our locker room dead since near when I was drafted in S46. Now I will be the first to admit we are not all chatting 24/7 continuously, but we are far from dead. Many of us are adults with jobs/school, living in different time zones, etc. That being said we are not a dead LR, we just seem to operate more in spurts of chatting and it has been that way since before I got the job. I know the off-seasons can be rougher on this as well, my team hasn't made the post-season since S46 and that takes a toll on a franchise, I've even seen people leave the team because of it. Our rebuild got thrown way off when we made the FHM swap and were suddenly slapped from being a fringe playoff team trying to retool to being stuck on the bottom of the league. It's hard to get people motivated when by Game 10 of the regular season you know you won't make the playoffs. By now we don't even pay attention to the Awards ceremony because we rarely even get a nomination, much less feeling like any of us could win. Something people who have only been at the top of the league(not saying everyone, but some people don't get how lucky they have been in this league) don't seem to get is how demoralizing it can be to be on the bottom season after season no matter what work you put in. We don't even have the individual success of having a good player on a bad team like in the STHS days. Despite that I have tried doing my best to bring in amazing people in through the draft and trades to create a cozy LR environment that is welcoming, accepting, and feels like a family. If anyone wants to think my LR is a ghost town, they should have seen what it was like before I took over.

All of this rambling to say I get where Muted is coming from. He's also one of our most passionate members and it gets tiring seeing people say we a bad team publicly over and over again and it definitely has ramifications beyond simply the media.

I have been GM in Minny since taking over prior to the S52 SHL draft, in fact Muted was my first ever draft pick as an SHL GM. During that time, I haven't been able to sign a single free agent to my franchise. Every time I was told "I'm resigning with my current team, I want to win now, It's the wrong time for my player based on where Minny is at, etc" It's made our rebuild that more agonizing when we see top tier talent hit the market and find out repeatedly not matter what we pitch, we are not good enough. I'd like to say I've personally moved past it, but it still stings knowing if maybe 1 of those people took a chance on us, we might have attracted more, won more, or even made the post-season. I'm also not going to act like I've never made a misstep as a GM, but when you are on the bottom of the league, those missteps get put under a much bigger microscope. I've taken plenty of risks that backfired right in my face. I've definitely made mistakes as the GM and I don't know how many times I've considered just walking away at the end of a season because nothing seemed to change no matter what kind of effort we put in. Each season I try to go into it with new resolve to make it better than the last for my players.

I've already gotten to witness my own player's career take the bullet of hitting their prime during the engine switch and likely shattering any hope for the HOF. I don't want Minny to be a sob story or the laughingstock of this league. All I want is for my team to do better and let all the people who put faith in me, see some kind of reward or recognition for their hard work.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

06-14-2021, 03:33 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: I've already gotten to witness my own player's career take the bullet of hitting their prime during the engine switch and likely shattering any hope for the HOF. I don't want Minny to be a sob story or the laughingstock of this league. All I want is for my team to do better and let all the people who put faith in me, see some kind of reward or recognition for their hard work.
<3 <3 <3 <3

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

06-14-2021, 03:33 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: As the MIN head GM allow me to step in for a second to possibly expand on this. I get where Muted's frustration comes. I don't begrudge JY for the article, as many have said he makes a much deeper analysis in these than most do. I do think he is simply offering what he sees from the outside and as a long serving GM. But part of the frustration I and many people who I have brought into Minny's War Room is changing the league's perception of us as a team. Hell this point was a major part of my application when I applied for the job. People have been calling our locker room dead since near when I was drafted in S46. Now I will be the first to admit we are not all chatting 24/7 continuously, but we are far from dead. Many of us are adults with jobs/school, living in different time zones, etc. That being said we are not a dead LR, we just seem to operate more in spurts of chatting and it has been that way since before I got the job. I know the off-seasons can be rougher on this as well, my team hasn't made the post-season since S46 and that takes a toll on a franchise, I've even seen people leave the team because of it. Our rebuild got thrown way off when we made the FHM swap and were suddenly slapped from being a fringe playoff team trying to retool to being stuck on the bottom of the league. It's hard to get people motivated when by Game 10 of the regular season you know you won't make the playoffs. By now we don't even pay attention to the Awards ceremony because we rarely even get a nomination, much less feeling like any of us could win. Something people who have only been at the top of the league(not saying everyone, but some people don't get how lucky they have been in this league) don't seem to get is how demoralizing it can be to be on the bottom season after season no matter what work you put in. We don't even have the individual success of having a good player on a bad team like in the STHS days. Despite that I have tried doing my best to bring in amazing people in through the draft and trades to create a cozy LR environment that is welcoming, accepting, and feels like a family. If anyone wants to think my LR is a ghost town, they should have seen what it was like before I took over.

All of this rambling to say I get where Muted is coming from. He's also one of our most passionate members and it gets tiring seeing people say we a bad team publicly over and over again and it definitely has ramifications beyond simply the media.

I have been GM in Minny since taking over prior to the S52 SHL draft, in fact Muted was my first ever draft pick as an SHL GM. During that time, I haven't been able to sign a single free agent to my franchise. Every time I was told "I'm resigning with my current team, I want to win now, It's the wrong time for my player based on where Minny is at, etc" It's made our rebuild that more agonizing when we see top tier talent hit the market and find out repeatedly not matter what we pitch, we are not good enough. I'd like to say I've personally moved past it, but it still stings knowing if maybe 1 of those people took a chance on us, we might have attracted more, won more, or even made the post-season. I'm also not going to act like I've never made a misstep as a GM, but when you are on the bottom of the league, those missteps get put under a much bigger microscope. I've taken plenty of risks that backfired right in my face. I've definitely made mistakes as the GM and I don't know how many times I've considered just walking away at the end of a season because nothing seemed to change no matter what kind of effort we put in. Each season I try to go into it with new resolve to make it better than the last for my players.

I've already gotten to witness my own player's career take the bullet of hitting their prime during the engine switch and likely shattering any hope for the HOF. I don't want Minny to be a sob story or the laughingstock of this league. All I want is for my team to do better and let all the people who put faith in me, see some kind of reward or recognition for their hard work.

That was a great post, much respect for it!

06-14-2021, 03:33 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: As the MIN head GM allow me to step in for a second to possibly expand on this. I get where Muted's frustration comes. I don't begrudge JY for the article, as many have said he makes a much deeper analysis in these than most do. I do think he is simply offering what he sees from the outside and as a long serving GM. But part of the frustration I and many people who I have brought into Minny's War Room is changing the league's perception of us as a team. Hell this point was a major part of my application when I applied for the job. People have been calling our locker room dead since near when I was drafted in S46. Now I will be the first to admit we are not all chatting 24/7 continuously, but we are far from dead. Many of us are adults with jobs/school, living in different time zones, etc. That being said we are not a dead LR, we just seem to operate more in spurts of chatting and it has been that way since before I got the job. I know the off-seasons can be rougher on this as well, my team hasn't made the post-season since S46 and that takes a toll on a franchise, I've even seen people leave the team because of it. Our rebuild got thrown way off when we made the FHM swap and were suddenly slapped from being a fringe playoff team trying to retool to being stuck on the bottom of the league. It's hard to get people motivated when by Game 10 of the regular season you know you won't make the playoffs. By now we don't even pay attention to the Awards ceremony because we rarely even get a nomination, much less feeling like any of us could win. Something people who have only been at the top of the league(not saying everyone, but some people don't get how lucky they have been in this league) don't seem to get is how demoralizing it can be to be on the bottom season after season no matter what work you put in. We don't even have the individual success of having a good player on a bad team like in the STHS days. Despite that I have tried doing my best to bring in amazing people in through the draft and trades to create a cozy LR environment that is welcoming, accepting, and feels like a family. If anyone wants to think my LR is a ghost town, they should have seen what it was like before I took over.

Very well thought out and good to hear your take. Obviously im not on your team, but Im rooting for you to turn that team around. Hopefully people reading this, will be people that see you care about the team and will sign on knowing you care

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

Everything that JayWhy said was so tame and pretty reasonable to say if you are an outside pair of eyes. Don’t really get the reaction from Muted here.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM