Create Account

(Graded) Deep Dive #1 - The drought of Prince George
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 04:09 PM by Opera_Phantom.)

The Anchorage Armada as a franchise has existed since the very beginning of the SMJHL, or the NWJHL as it was called then. The Prince George Firebirds were a founding team and won the inaugural championship (although perhaps questionably, thanks to the general manager at the time also being the league commissioner and simmer). The team would go on to win two more cups in S4 and S8 while legends such as Brandon Holmes, Mike Honcho, Brodie Witzel, and Willie Weber passed through it’s doors.

For the next 30 seasons however, another cup would not be won in Prince George, including the few seasons from S18 to S24 when the team relocated to Regina, Saskatchewan and played as the Force briefly before moving back to Prince George following alumni outrage.

My time with the team began in S27, as my first recreate was drafted to the team by then general manager and long-time teammate of my first player, Mac. The end of the S20's would be some of the poorest in the franchise's history, as the team without much in terms of assets saw even less in terms of results, save for a finals berth despite a 12-28-10 record. S30 brought change as I was hired as the new general manager to succeed Mac. The S30 draft, without first and second round picks, saw both Eduard Selich and Ben Waters were brought to the team to start the new decade, one that would begin to turn the tide that the S20's brought.

Competitive years followed, led by Chris York, Dani Forsberg, Xander Green, Dionyz Vyskoc, Paddy Kane-Reilly, Mikhail Loktionov, and Kyler Gill. However, despite the star power and consistency, the team remained cupless, even with a finals appearance that went to game seven in perhaps their weakest year of the S30's, and my first season managing: S30 itself.

S38 was a remarkable season. The past three seasons had brought Prince George dominant top lines that would be replaced by more dominant trios. Then there was the infamous deadline trade that bought the Colorado Mammoths' first line and starting goaltender at the cost of eight picks in addition to a promising rookie class that could see Prince George continue to be successful into the future, even with the loss of picks. Prince George was entering the 30th season of the SMJHL's longest droughts, only being surpassed by the still active Colorado Raptors and Maine Timber, after almost an entire decade of "close but not close enough".

After 3 seasons in the juniors, now entering my fourth, I was incredibly honored to be named captain and being the potential face of the franchise. The motto of the season began early on and would echo louder and louder the closer to the playoffs we got: "Do it for Dildo". Dildo, for the record, is me, and I again had a great offensive year flanked by another deadly trio in Paddy Kane-Reilly and Blåbär Bananerström. In our first playoff series, the conference finals, we faced the Montreal Militia, and despite being favorites, were taken to game seven where we won with conviction. The finals, however, would be a dramatic and similarly drawn out affair that would see a game seven as well as both sides seeing blowouts. This game seven would be different and magical, as unlike the conference finals, this game seven would go into overtime. After early pressure in Detroit’s favor, Prince George would weather the storm and eventually gain a power play, where who else but captain Dionyz Vyskoc would score the game winner that ended the 30 season long drought.

After such a high, the seasons since have been relatively docile. The team has since relocated to Anchorage (not Annapolis, unfortunately) and has seen continued success at the forefront of the SMJHL, including, but not exclusive to, two more cups in S51 and S57.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

bring back the spicy chickens!

UpdatesPlayer Page