Create Account

S60 SMJHL Awards Head Press Conference
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2021, 08:04 PM by Matteo.)

Hey everyone!

Before I get into the press conference, I first want to say we're gonna be looking at ways to improve the Miller (most dedicated) award this season so that more people than just those that the committee and myself can think of off the tops of our heads are looked at. What I'm thinking is maybe blatantly ripping off what Reid does with the Littleton, having a form each season that anyone can respond to with names of users who dedicate a lot of time to the site and what they do, or even sticking an optional question in the Raymond Lindsay ballot for those names.

Now with that said, and all of the awards presented and the vote counts posted, it's time to open the floor for any of your questions, comments, or concerns for me! Smile 

08-20-2021, 04:32 AMSlashACM Wrote: Damn no one commented. I enjoyed the presentation and thank y'all for the award!
Glad you enjoyed, Smith and Trashae are so great. And congrats on your award, that was definitely well deserved especially considering you were the only one to get all eight first place votes this season!

08-20-2021, 04:39 AMKeygan Wrote: What do you believe determines the most valuable player or rookie of the year, obviously I have bias towards myself and teammates but you personally, what are you looking for?
For those MVP awards we try to look at every aspect of the player. The most weight of course goes to points/offensive production, but from there we also look at defensive stats, shots blocked, takeaways, giveaways, things like that. We also look pretty heavily at advanced stats, personally I'm a pretty big fan of Corsi over Fenwick, although usually they tell a pretty similar story, but if someone has a negative CF% relative to their team I usually see that as a red flag, especially for Fallah and Witzel. Goalies are a bit more simple, the biggest things we look at there are save percentage and GSAA. GAA is more of a team stat so I don't like looking at it, and shutouts you can use but those can be random and also usually heavily skewed towards the more competitive teams. With all that said, everybody votes just a little differently and places a different amount of weight on each stat, which keeps things interesting.

08-20-2021, 08:25 AMKenitohMenara Wrote: Were you surprised by any particular award this year? Did the committee vote in a way you didn’t expect or did the votes from the public surprise you?
I wouldn't say that any of the winners surprised me all that much, there were some things that were closer than I expected but overall everyone who won an award deserved it imo. The one thing that did surprise me was that Gregory Goode ended up as a Fallah nominee even though he didn't win the Agante. I guess the people who were high on Goode were extremely high on him. As for the Raymond Lindsay, I thought it would be between you, Makrus, and Black since there was a bit of a drop-off in points after that, but if I was a betting man I would have thought that either Makrus would win for leading the league in points, or that you and him would split the Vancouver vote and Black would end up taking it. Looks like most people ended up going with the goals though, which is great to see, I love it when as many different deserving people as possible take home an award at the end of the day.

Actually, now that I think about it, something that did surprise me about the Raymond Lindsay was how many SHL players got voted for in a SMJHL award haha

Thanks everyone for your questions, looking forward to a great season this next couple months!

Code:
558 words, ready for grading

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

Damn no one commented. I enjoyed the presentation and thank y'all for the award!

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

What do you believe determines the most valuable player or rookie of the year, obviously I have bias towards myself and teammates but you personally, what are you looking for?

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Were you surprised by any particular award this year? Did the committee vote in a way you didn’t expect or did the votes from the public surprise you?

Answered up to here!

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]