Create Account

Thoughts on the various SMJHL teams from a pending recreate

[1176 words, ready for grading]

I'm in that weird limbo with my current series where I can't technically recreate for another week, so the Bordeleau saga is basically on hold until then (the next chapter will most likely be DFA signing day). To fill the void, I figured I'd talk about the teams in the SMJHL and my thoughts on going there, either as a DFA or in the draft. Note that this isn't a hard yes/no - scout me and sell me on your team's plan to win and what your LR is like! I'm always happy to talk to GMs, and having been on the other side of the process for a while I know how nice personal messages from GMs can be. I'll go in order of the current standings at the time of writing, from 1st to 12th. Things that I prioritize would be a good fit for the LR as well as confidence in being able to produce both individually and helping the team win. I did my best to rate each team from 1-10 with these factors.

1. Newfoundland  Berserkers

The Berserkers are an interesting one for me. On one hand, they always seem to be finishing high in the standings, showing that they've got a smart GM/coaching team and that they'd really know how to use Bordeleau. I've also heard testimonials that they're willing to give rookies every opportunity to succeed. The only thing I'm unsure of is how I'd fit into the LR - I've heard many stories about how active it is and I don't want to get overwhelmed. Sell me on the LR fit and I wouldn't mind ending up here.

Rating: 6.5/10

2. Maine  Timber

I like what Toast and KaleSalad are building in Maine. Even if they're cursed by the Berserkers, they appear to have a lot of old players so I'd probably be able to get a shot to contribute right away. Similar to Colorado, helping be the one to finally put them over the top would be pretty exciting.

Rating: 7.5/10

3. Carolina  Kraken

Carolina is a team that always seems to perform well, making me feel confident that I'd be able to excel here and that they draft and develop good talent. The roster also has great people that I have a good rapport with, and the GMs are quite proven. I'd be happy to play in orange if it came down to it.

Rating: 10/10

4.  Nevada  Battleborn

Nevada seems to have a really good core built up for the next couple of seasons and I'd be able to be a part of that. Rising teams are always fun since you get to overcome obstacles together. The people I recognize on the team also make me comfortable that I'd be a fit in the LR here.

5. Colorado  Raptors

Gonna be honest, I haven't really followed the Raptors much. They seem to consistently be pretty good, so that gives me hope for a strong GM duo that knows how to draft and develop players. I recognize a few of the players on the team, but not many. I think I'd need a little more information, but Colorado looks like a good place to go.

Rating: 7/10

6. Kelowna  Knights

I don't really want to play for Kelowna. Nothing personal, but it would feel really weird to play for them when I was on the GM team of their biggest rival for so long. There are some players on the team I don't know if I'd get along with either.

Rating: 1/10

7. Anaheim  Outlaws

My opinion on this team has been made quite clear over the past little while, so I'll leave it at this: I do not want to play for Anaheim. Have a good day.

Rating: -100/10

8. Great Falls  Grizzlies

Not really sure about GFG. I don't know either GM that well and I don't really agree with their tactic of "trade the whole future for a win-now team", as I think it's kind of antithetical to the role of the J. I've also had a couple not-great interactions with members of the team/alum so I'm not sure how I'd fit into the LR, but you can try and sell me on it.

Rating: 4/10

9. Regina  Elk

Lespoils is cool people and seems to be building a promising team. Some tough sledding to start their existence, but they are playing better this season and I'm always happy to join an up-and-coming team. Plus they have cool uniforms. There are teams I'd want to go to more, but I would happily play for Regina.

Rating: 8/10

10. Anchorage  Armada

I know this'll probably sound bizarre given that I used to play for their rival, but I actually wouldn't mind playing for Anchorage if I ended up there. They've got a strong culture of winning since the switch to FHM, and I can get on with their GMs well enough. I don't really know many people on the team, but I wouldn't mind going here.

Rating: 7/10

11. Quebec City  Citadelles

Quebec is in a bit of a rebuild, which means I'd be able to really be a part of a rising team and grow with them. The GMs are two excellent people. I have friends on the team, and my player is also French-Canadian so she could play close to home.

12. Detroit  Falcons

I don't know a ton of people on Detroit, but the Falcons seem to be a good young team that's building a strong core. They made some good draft picks in the last class and seem to have a good vision. Not sure how I'd fit into the LR, but playing in Detroit is definitely something I could be sold on.

Rating: 8/10

13. Vancouver  Whalers

Going back to Vancouver would be a cool opportunity to return to my roots. I don't need to talk too much about the fit - they'll have a young core of players with me being part of it if I went here and the LR speaks for itself. I just don't want every other team to assume I'm just going to automatically force my way back here, ha. If I go here in the draft or DFA, then that's where things lie, but don't be scared off! 

14. St. Louis  Scarecrows

The Scarecrows are a team I don't really know much about. Haven't seen them make much noise in the playoffs in a while, and I don't see too many high-TPE players or names I recognize. Sell me that you have a plan and an active LR, else I'd rather not spend my J career here. 

Rating: 3/10

Hope y'all enjoyed the article. If you ranked low, it's not necessarily a disqualifier, I'm just not quite sold on my goals being met there, but I can be convinced to go places. Also I can't actually be tampered yet, mostly because I don't have a player, so this is mostly just a stream of consciousness thought article.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I'd gladly talk to you more about GFG. Yes, our methods are outside what one would consider "standard" gming. Sorry you had a rough interaction with some alumni, and sure our LR isn't a constantly scrolling ticker like NL's, But if you're ever down, I'm down.

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

02-01-2022, 05:05 PMGeekusoid Wrote: I'd gladly talk to you more about GFG.  Yes, our methods are outside what one would consider "standard" gming.  Sorry you had a rough interaction with some alumni, and sure our LR isn't a constantly scrolling ticker like NL's, But if you're ever down, I'm down.
For sure. GFG isn’t a hard no, it’s more of a resounding “meh” for me personally, but I’m at least open to dialogue.

02-01-2022, 05:08 PMboom Wrote:
02-01-2022, 05:05 PMGeekusoid Wrote: I'd gladly talk to you more about GFG.  Yes, our methods are outside what one would consider "standard" gming.  Sorry you had a rough interaction with some alumni, and sure our LR isn't a constantly scrolling ticker like NL's, But if you're ever down, I'm down.
For sure. GFG isn’t a hard no, it’s more of a resounding “meh” for me personally, but I’m at least open to dialogue.

I suppose I'll take the "resounding meh"

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

We currently have 27 Tylar related emotes, if that's not the ultimate selling point, I don't know what is :tyge: Plus our co-GM is everyone's favorite green dinosaur  Berserkers

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

02-01-2022, 05:01 PMboom Wrote: Lespoils is cool people

No take backs!

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Fuck Kelowna

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Join the rebuild in QCC! This rookie class is going to be a great one!  Citadelles

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

For how many Zerks you've (I've) drafted they're a bit low eh :tysus:

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

02-01-2022, 06:43 PMBfine Wrote: For how many Zerks you've (I've) drafted they're a bit low eh :tysus:
they produce good people it’s just me

Kraken

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

02-01-2022, 06:44 PMboom Wrote:
02-01-2022, 06:43 PMBfine Wrote: For how many Zerks you've (I've) drafted they're a bit low eh :tysus:
they produce good people it’s just me
I think literally anyone would fit into the locker room, everyone is genuinely so nice here(except hffo ignore anything he says). Ik especially for me almost everyone in the locker room I’d be comfortable talking about issues I’m having both in sim and in my real life. I’ve never seen a toxic thing happen in Zerk LR besides when we’re memeing with each other. As someone who was new and got overwhelmed by the LR at first, they do a really good job of making you feel at home. Zerks are great (besides hffo)

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=6622170a&is=660fa20a&hm=2...height=655]

Outlungus
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022, 01:52 AM by boom.)

02-02-2022, 01:29 AMunconfident69 Wrote: Outlungus
i mean posting an Anaheim emoji and nothing else in a thread where i outright say i don’t want to play for Anaheim is definitely something but you do you

02-01-2022, 06:20 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: Join the rebuild in QCC! This rookie class is going to be a great one!  Citadelles
guess we’ll see where the chips fall