Create Account

FHM Tactics Restriction

03-04-2022, 12:52 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
03-04-2022, 12:14 PMRankle Wrote: I'm not an FHM expert, but would it be possible to have league-wide static sliders set for individual player types? So, per your example, anyone in the league running a DFD has the same sliders for that player and they dont get stuck playing as a DFD but playing towards the team sliders for a more offensive player type. If we could do something like that it could still help make things easier for GMs by taking the individual player sliders out of their control, but not force each player be at the mercy of the team sliders. Thinking along the same lines, could we have league-wide static penalty kill sliders so the penalty kill doesnt end up playing a high attack, low backcheck style like you mentioned?
Yes this is 100% possible and I would fucking love it if we did this. I think people are starting to really see the possibilities that archetypes provide. HO has made 1 really great step with this change and I expect them to continue making good steps.

Something for people to understand though, archetypes are going to take a lot of testing and iterating. PBE hasn't even finished coming up with perfect archetypes yet and there have been a lot of archetype updates. And with FHM 8 coming we'll need to re-test. My guess is that we'll jump to FHM 8 and then look at implementing archs after.

Love the suggestion!

I've been a big fan of archetypes for a while, and would love to see them implemented as a way to give more agency to players. Make it more of a league where GMs have to draft players based on their archetype and make it work to fit their strategies, rather than having anyone be able to build in any way they want. The way it runs at the moment, a team where GMs get the players to buy in to building in a unified way that will work extremely well together will inevitably result in success over a team where players are allowed to build however they want. I can only speak to Tampa, where the players have been given free reign to build how we want, but I feel like my line of reasoning here makes sense. If it is implemented it will certainly be a lot of testing to balance it right, but I think it'll be worth it 100%.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

03-04-2022, 01:51 PMRankle Wrote:
03-04-2022, 12:52 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Yes this is 100% possible and I would fucking love it if we did this. I think people are starting to really see the possibilities that archetypes provide. HO has made 1 really great step with this change and I expect them to continue making good steps.

Something for people to understand though, archetypes are going to take a lot of testing and iterating. PBE hasn't even finished coming up with perfect archetypes yet and there have been a lot of archetype updates. And with FHM 8 coming we'll need to re-test. My guess is that we'll jump to FHM 8 and then look at implementing archs after.

Love the suggestion!

I've been a big fan of archetypes for a while, and would love to see them implemented as a way to give more agency to players. Make it more of a league where GMs have to draft players based on their archetype and make it work to fit their strategies, rather than having anyone be able to build in any way they want. The way it runs at the moment, a team where GMs get the players to buy in to building in a unified way that will work extremely well together will inevitably result in success over a team where players are allowed to build however they want. I can only speak to Tampa, where the players have been given free reign to build how we want, but I feel like my line of reasoning here makes sense. If it is implemented it will certainly be a lot of testing to balance it right, but I think it'll be worth it 100%.
Would love it if we did that and remove archetype changes. GMs wouldn't like that cause they couldn't make the perfect team, but tough shit. People want to be a grinder or an enforcer. Adjust.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I really hope we don't have to resort to any sort of archetype system, I think people are really underestimating the downsides such a system that come with it as well as the fact as it isn't nearly as suited for a hockey sim as it is for others sports where the distinctions between positions are much more defined. It might be inevitable if we don't manage to fix our meta problems through other means, but in my opinion archetypes should be a last resort and not something that people actively look forward to, because it strips away many of the freedoms that are supposed to make this league fun. The chance to build your player any way you want and to adjust on the fly as your career progresses is one of the core draws of this league - yes, it might not be working that way right now because people just build towards a meta, but stripping away this freedom altogether is not the right solution.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

WBF already best commish of all time

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

We should also call this what it is: The Hamilton Sanctions.

Whats going on here.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

03-04-2022, 02:26 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I really hope we don't have to resort to any sort of archetype system, I think people are really underestimating the downsides such a system that come with it as well as the fact as it isn't nearly as suited for a hockey sim as it is for others sports where the distinctions between positions are much more defined. It might be inevitable if we don't manage to fix our meta problems through other means, but in my opinion archetypes should be a last resort and not something that people actively look forward to, because it strips away many of the freedoms that are supposed to make this league fun. The chance to build your player any way you want and to adjust on the fly as your career progresses is one of the core draws of this league - yes, it might not be working that way right now because people just build towards a meta, but stripping away this freedom altogether is not the right solution.
I understand your point of view, but do people do that currently? From what I understand, there's a few meta builds that float around and those are what folks are wedged into. If anything, tighter controls on tactics and archetypes would improve build variety, not hamper it. I don't think there's many folks that go from a grinder or enforcer and then move towards a speed/passing focused player throughout their career, minus maybe the jump from the J's to the big leagues and getting a chance to un-bank.

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

03-04-2022, 03:27 PMMerica Wrote: We should also call this what it is: The Hamilton Sanctions.
This is obnoxiously distasteful

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

03-04-2022, 10:51 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
03-04-2022, 03:27 PMMerica Wrote: We should also call this what it is: The Hamilton Sanctions.
This is obnoxiously distasteful

You’ve had quite the paepae week haven’t you bud? shut up.