Create Account

S66 PT #3: Breakaway Challenge

Creative Prompt

One of the first things I thought of to include in this theatrical shootout is a firework gatling gun type of thing. Something that can continuously launch fireworks at the goalie as I skate towards them. Now to only make it fair the goalie would get one of these as well to shoot fireworks at me. Another item that I think would add to the theatrical aspect of this shoot out is by having a live orchestra on the ice lining the boards playing intense and suspenseful music as the player skates up and if the player scores and is on the home team the orchestra will play celebratory music. If the player scores and is one the away team the orchestra will not play any music, unless the away player misses. Just to make things still slightly more challenging is to give each fan a bucket of tomatoes to throw at whatever play they decide to try and throw them off their game.

[Image: keithley.png]
[Image: mcalister.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 04:37 PM by bk1689. Edited 1 time in total.)

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

Affiliate PBE PT

As Patches steps on the ice to take his breakaway there is a sudden pause in the arena and it went dark almost as if the power went out but then on the jumbotron an animation of a dog in a cage appeared and from the speakers player "Who let the dogs out" as this filled the arena for a couple minuets it was still dark, and out of no where a spot light shined on the ice at the Zamboni doors, but still no player the door boards slowly opened and a cage appeared and to no surprise it was patches, as he flew down the ice on his paws and the stick in his mouth and the cage still around him he flicked the puck up onto the blade as he started to near the net and he slowed down to ready himself for what he was going to do, he flicked the puck on to the top of his nose and threw the stick straight up out of the cage as it rotated in the air it just hooked the blade around the top of the bar and sliced the puck towards the goal as it flew at a high speed it was always destined to hit the twine.

[Image: qlfNSs6.png][Image: tfifKNV.png]
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

[Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png]

[Image: jO2Di2N.png][Image: jO2Di2N.png]

philippe eko eel is built for shootouts because he is so long and slippery he can move in many different directions at once. for this stunt he has recruited many of his eel brethren people don't know this becuase they're so ignorant and they think all eels are the same and look the same but to a trained eel eye (of an eel) eels can all tell apart the other eels and some of them are really good eel friends. 

so here philippe eko eel goes and recruits a bunch of his eel friends and they line up together human centipede style except instead of human they're eels so this would be like an eel centipede haha @goldenglutes @Acsolap @Jepox do you guys like my scenario?

so the eel centipede it's lots of eels lined up in a column to look like one single eel and it's really really long and it stretches the entirety of the ice so philippe eko eel is the eel in the front of the big eel and he has the stick and puck and he's doing the duckhandling and he scores a sick goal by deking left, faking back right and staying left. the puck goes in the net all while the ass of the eel is still touching the opposite side of the rink, optical illusion galore pretty neat eh

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

I personally appreciate the willingness the NHL has shown when it comes to making post-regulation games exciting. 5 on 5 ties were painfully boring. 4 on 4 offered a bit of excitement but with only 5 minutes of play, generally would default to a shootout. The shootout as a whole is very exciting. It does devolve the game down to a skills competition, but let's be frank - it's another way for teams to improve and distinguish themselves. I find it laughable when people suggest that it compromises the integrity of the game because it's not "real hockey". What about their closest equivalent, penalty shots? Why should those continue to exist if they create an unrealistic hockey scenario? To stretch it further, what about powerplays? Having an uneven amount of players on the ice is a far stretch from how hockey is normally played. The team with less players overcompensates to the point where the advantage manifests in a much more significant way than just being down 1 person. Exactly how teams have, over the years, starting figuring out how to play 3 on 3 and practiced it much more. If anything, I would be willing to make OT longer with it being 3 on 3, if people don't want to see shootouts. It feels like it would be a nice treat at that point, due to how infrequent it would occur.

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

Personally, I am a big fan of Shootouts. It is what I always liked about hockey in general, the inability to draw. And that is coming from someone who lives in a country where soccer and therefore draws is the main sport.
You never leave the arena with an "oh well" on your lips, having witnesses a boring as hell 0:0 match, because it literally cannot happen.
As a consolation price you can at least take 1 point with you, if you manage to defend well, which should be enough to please the small crowd of defensive hockey enthusiasts.

I alsl like the "newer" ruleset where you have to play a 3on3 for up to 10 minutes before a shootout can take place. This allows for fast paced hockey action where every push obto the goal can be the end, where every individual mistake can mean elimination if your Goalie doesn't bail you out.

[Image: Nevada-Froste.jpg][Image: froste.png]
Signatures by myself and Ragnar

Hockey Prompt: Makrus prepares to make the most daring breakaway shot imaginable. The shot doesn’t start on the ice but in the parking lot where Makrus will ride a motorcycle into the stadium. Makrus will ride down the stairs and hit a ramp launching him onto the ice where he will take skate an obstacle course with the puck and shoot it into a net that is 25 feet off the ground. This will be the greatest achievement by any hockey player. Except Makrus doesn’t know how to ride a motorcycle. After a few failed attempts to understand a clutch Makrus gives up and rides an electric scooter instead. Instead of jumping the glass to get onto the ice the scooter battery dies and Makrus walks onto the ice. Makrus can skate the obstacle course just fine but suspending a net 25ft in the air was a bad idea and while he did make the shot the puck didn’t stop and went into the crowd. The crowd was excited except the guy that got hit with the puck.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]

Code:
Written Task:  What are your thoughts on the using shootouts to end games in the NHL? Do you like it? Would you change it? If so how? Bring back the tie? Infinite 3-on-3 until someone scores? Do you find them exciting or do you groan when OT ends? I'd love to hear your thoughts! (150+ words)

Honestly I do not watch a lot of hockey, but shootouts always feel a little cheap. Same with penalty shootouts in football. Just keep playing until everyone collapses. Keep it 3 on 3 or get freaky and make it 4 on 4 to rest the players a bit more. I think it is more interesting to see, while shootouts are fun in a skill competition type of sence, it seems low key just random and luck of the draw when it comes to finishing off a game.

Having actual hockey played until a winner is decided should be the way to go. It is more exciting for the fans, the players might hate it as they have already played their hearts out all evening, but hey its all about the fans right.

Saying all that though, as a European, bring back the ties. Who doesn't love a good draw? Both teams fought hard? Give em both the same amount of points and call it a night. Thanks for showing up, thanks for playing, here's your 1 point enjoy.

[178 words]

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Creative
Viktor Krunk gathers the puck, just behind center ice. The lights in the arena are cut, and Highway to Hell by AC/DC begins to play.
As the vocals kick in, pyrotechnics begin to go off, alternating on either side of the ice, Krunk appearing on those sides of the ice with the puck in the illumination provided, apparently by teleportation or holographic projection or some such. The pryotechnics get progressively more violent, now more like explosions, and move further down the ice through the verse, with Krunk still defying physics by appearing on each side in turn.
The arena goes completely dark again during the last line of the verse "my friends are gonna be there too..." but as the "Hi" of "Highway" hits in the chorus, the arena is illuminated by a 30-foot wide Atlanta Inferno logo hanging from the rafters that is suddenly on fire.
As the partially blinded, awestruck goalie covers his face but also looks up at the blazing logo, because he just has to, Krunk glides in and slots the puck into the corner of the net. The chorus abruptly ends with the sound of a goal horn.

[Image: crunksig2.png]

pt pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Hockey Prompt

Literally anything would be preferable to ending games with the shootout. When it was first introduced, it was kind of a breath of fresh air. That fresh air quickly turned foul though. How many great games have you watched during the regular season end in a tie and then turn into a slog of a shootout. I understand that it is not possible to continue play until a winner is decided like in the playoffs. Teams would be dead by the second month of the season. The 3 on 3 overtime should be expanded though. First thing that needs to be done is to bump that overtime period to 10 minutes. The 3 on 3 has become everything that the higherups wished the shootout was. It is nothing but high-flying action. It is full of creativity because of the space that is available for players to use. If there is still no winner after the new 10 minute 3 on 3 overtime just end it in a tie. The NHL played with ties forever, it will not be a big deal if they go back to them.

(187)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

PBE Affiliation

Wow! The much anticipated Breakaway Challenge. Waters wants to win this year, and he's pulling out all the stops. First, he'll get the crowd hyped up before the breakaway starts by skating around for a few minutes while they chant "Go, Go, GO!" cause they love him so much. Then, when the puck drops, he'll start spinning and weaving all over the place like a demented Pavel Datsyuk. Here's where the crazy part happens: he turns around? and starts skating towards his own end? The crowd is shocked. Nobody expected this. He skates all the way to his own end, and then dangles the net so hard that it moves on its own! Yeah! The net got its ankles broken! Then Waters gears up and bombs it against the glass, absolutely destroying that glass and any sort of structure to this madness. At this point, he jumps the boards and crowdsurfs! All the fans are cheering this incredible performance. Wow.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Hockey prompt

While there isn't anything intrinsically wrong with the shootout, it's not the most popular way to end a game for many. Critics will point to the random nature of shootouts, where these often ironically described "skills competitions" feel like coin flips. When the teams are evenly matched though, and both teams are getting a point, enough shootouts will properly balance out in the standings and teams that are evenly matched are both appropriately rewarded. If one wanted to revamp this, I think the best way to do so would be to end in a tie, reworking the point structure of leagues to get a similar 1.5 expected points from going to overtime or shootout - likely removing the overtime loss point and giving a point to both teams if they tie, which also has the benefit of removing the reward from just making it to overtime that it adds points to the pending result. Extending overtimes into more time and energy demanding events applies unnecessary challenges to fitness management and puts more of an emphasis on the random effect of the schedule.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]