Create Account

S67 Championship Week Due: November 6th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Tomato.
Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Seattle is back in the finals for the second time in a row. While last season was an unexpected run led by a miracle goalie performance-- this season's appearance comes at no surprise to those who watched their offseason closely. What roster changes do you think have put Seattle in this position again? Do you think it's enough for them to finish the job this time around?
When you get two of the best players in the league at their positions, it definitely puts you in a better situation. Seattle did that this past offseason, using the miracle run and some cap issues with other teams to push their chips into the middle and adding Luukas Lilja and Jonas Kahnwald. Lilja cracked 50 goals and 100 points, and Kahnwald put up another 50 point season from the blueline.
Code:
b. Manhattan has charged from a ninth place regular season finish to an Eastern conference championship and a shot at the Challenge Cup. I don't think that it's out of line for me to say that not many saw this coming. How do you think they got to this point? Who's performing better than expected? Do you think they have enough gas to complete the Cinderella run?
Manhattan is a team that has been brewing for some time; someone even said last season they could've made a conference finals run. Obviously they didn't, they got swept by the Barracuda, but this season they took that next step. There was no clear-cut favorite in the East, so it was fairly wide open, and their top trio of Tomas Lind, Robert EO Speedwagon, and Lev Lebedev have all caught fire.
Code:
c. At this point in the playoffs, Manhattan has played four more games than Seattle. With the schedule as tight as it is in the playoffs, do you think that extra hockey will affect them? Could it be a positive that MAN has been in a near constant routine of game days while SEA has seen a bit more rest? Or do you think that wear and tear will start to show on MAN if this series goes to 6 or 7 games?
I don't really think the volume of games played will be an issue, to be completely honest. I do think it favors Manhattan just a little bit, but I think it would matter more if, say, one of the teams swept in the conference final and the other took 7 to knock out a feisty foe.
Code:
d. In many ways this seems like a battle of who can stay hotter longer. Both teams have PDO ratings as high as 110 while barely having any players that dip below 100. Seattle and Manhattan are both on absolute heaters of strong goalies and high shooting percentages. What do you think is driving this, and who do you think can keep it going longer? Who comes out on top?
The Rage are a really, really good team that got hot at the right time. But I think in terms of roster construction, I think Seattle is deeper, stronger, and built to win immediately, and they have a combination of experienced Cup winners from other teams and past defeats to fuel them. If form is thrown out the window as a factor, I think this is the Argos' Cup to win.
Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Tough to Swallow (150 words min.)
In your opinion, who was the best SHL or SMJHL team to NOT win the Challenge Cup / Four Star Cup? Who was on that team, and why do you think they deserved to win it all? What round did they lose in and how? Was it bad luck? A hot opposing goalie? Inexperience?
I am going to be a shameless homer and go with the S64 through S66 Quebec City Citadelles not winning the Four Star Cup. The issue this Citadelles team had was simple, it was ONE of the best teams in J history, going up against THE greatest teams in J history. Their playoff defeats in this timespan were a finals loss to the Newfoundland Berserkers, a dynasty at the peak of their powers; a semifinal loss to the Detroit Falcons, who had just wrapped up the best regular season in the history of the J; and a finals loss to a Nevada Battleborn team that didn't drop a single game in the postseason. Three historic, all-time great teams is what it took to take down a feisty QC team that included the likes of myself, Justin Time, Rylie Versi, Sophie Bordeleau, Shylo Moxii, Ben Der, and a rental of Moritz Seider for S66. Those are all fantastic players that just kept running into buzzsaws.
Code:
16. Written, 3 TPE, Hockey History (150 words min.)
Tell me about an important moment or person in the history of your home country’s hockey program! This can be a real-life story or SHL related! Your choice! I want to learn some interesting hockey history from around the world!
As an American in real life, most of the hockey history of this country is already pretty well known, and I'm not well-versed enough in SHL history to recount any stories of my IIHF nation (Switzerland). But I am a total nerd for obscure international ice hockey (I can't tell you about things that happen in the NHL playoffs, but I can give full play by play of a Serbia-Poland 3rd tier Worlds game!), so how about the first game ever played between teams from different countries? In 1886, the Coasting Club of Burlington, Vermont, hosted a winter sports carnival, featuring many different games including ice skating and snowshoe races. But the final event was an ice hockey tournament played on a frozen Lake Champlain. Three teams participated: the Van Ness House, a Burlington hotel that burned down in 1951, as well as two Montreal based teams: the Montreal Hockey Club and Crystal Hockey Club. The first documented international game came here, on February 26, 1886, as the Montreal Hockey Club downed Van Ness 3-0. That Montreal Hockey Club would win the first Stanley Cup in 1893, and its winged-wheel logo was the inspiration for the Detroit Red Wings identity (as James Norris had played for them); and to tie this back to international hockey IRL, Burlington would host the Women's World Championship in 2012.

Code:
17. Written, 3 TPE, Nu Metals (150 words min.)
Gold, silver, and bronze are old news! Also we’re running out of them in the simulated world so we can’t be wasting it all on simulated medals! Choose new metals to be used for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at this year's tournament, and tell me why you chose them.
Oooh, this one seems fun, since gold, silver, and bronze are so etched into our minds as the colors of the podium. For me, the replacement for gold would be platinum. In baseball, the platinum sombrero is a step above the golden sombrero (though if you earned either, I have to diagnose you with a case of skill deficiency), and Platinum is also my favorite Pokemon game so it's got that going for it which is nice. For second, I think I'd go with iron, a strong metal that keeps a similar color to silver (then again, platinum is also pretty similar, so that might need to be workshopped). And for third, I would go with copper - again, a very similar color to bronze, which makes sense because bronze is just an alloy of copper and tin. I don't know, I'm not a metallurgist, but I kinda want to keep the theme of them being "rare" metals.
16/16

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Simmer CW Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 02:49 AM by natedoeshockey. Edited 13 times in total.)

Code:
CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

patyatime

+3 TPE

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Song of the Playoffs (150 words min.)

Every season the NHL buys the rights to a song that they edit their playoff promotional materials to. This season we’re doing the same thing for the SHL! Pitch me your “Song of the S67 Playoffs”! Who sings it? Why do you think it would make a good hype song?

Patya want to take this time for make PSA about playoff songs. Patya want to know something for serious: can please STOP USING IMAGINE DRAGONS SONGS? Patya cannot stand this songs! Everyone use it for everything! IS ENOUGH! PLEASE, MORE ORIGINAL! Anyway, Patya thinking need some good song for make people hype. This not hard, many songs am can do this. But which one should Patya choose? Patya want to go with a classic, so Patya am choose "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor! Patya do not think he need for explain this song because everyone am already know it! I mean, Patya think everyone seen Rocky but maybe Patya wrong. Anyway, Patya think this song much great for building hype and is still friendly for family! Maybe even take hint from this song and use other classics too! This way, nobody am ever have for hearing Imagine Dragons ever again! That would be so good!

+3 TPE

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, You’re Weird (150 words min.)

During long playoff runs or exceptional mid-season winning streaks players have been known to do some crazy things in order to keep the luck going. What’s the weirdest superstition your player or someone in your locker room has? Did it actually work?

Well, Patya am talk about this but please no judging Patya. Patya have secret weapon. This weapon much like Sidney Crosby. Patya been wearing same jock strap since forever. It need be repaired a few times, but everyone know this. Patya know this may sound gross because this am stink and be gross, but Patya am know this secret to being winner big. Maybe this not answering question though because this is for always luck. Sometimes when team start playing good in season, Patya like for get special banana split. Then team keep winning. This mean Patya have to keep eating banana split before every game! Patya sometimes wish maybe he like something like chicken parm instead, but no, is banana split. Patya think maybe this weird because peoples am thinking of banana split as treat for children but Patya just like them much, okay? Bananas and chocolates and cherries and ice creams, is just so delicious!

+3 TPE

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones Claim

+3 TPE

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s results? How do you feel about season two of FHM 8?

Patya not much surprised Seattle am winning championship. Patya was thinking Seattle best team this season, but everyone know regular season just for practice. Playoffs time is come and teams am be different! Seattle not best team in regular season but is best team in playoffs! WOWIE! Patya am surprise Manhattan be as good as they were! Much proud! Patya having many friends on this team! They am just falling little bit short, but Patya am saying is nice for league to see team like Manhattan being much good again. Patya thinking that so far, FHM8 better than FHM6. Am seeing more builds performing well and meta is much less defined.

+2 TPE

Code:
23. Written, 2 TPE, Say Something Nice (100 words min.)
I’m not sure when we did this last, so that probably means it’s a good time to bring back the positivity prompt! Tag some other folks on the site and let them know why you appreciate them! Could be a GM, a friend, a department head, anyone! The goal is to make someone happy.

Patya am seeing best friend @the5urreal do this so Patya am feeling nice too. Patya wanting for thank a few people for many things. Patya wanting for thank @sve7en for introduce him to league. Patya never do anything like this before and 7 am take big shot on drafting Patya much earlier than Patya expect! WAS SHOCK! Patya hoping he am doing 7 much proud. Patya also want thank @ACapitalChicago. Many peoples make funs of HOs, but Patya have good experienc interning there and ACap is many nice. Any time Patya am have important question, Patya always asking Acap. Patya not knowing what would do without Acap. Patya want also thank @Jimmysmo27. Patya get close for Jimmy and am sad for not get to hang out with him before he am being too far from Patya. Jimmy much strongs and it inspiring for Patya. Patya still owe him quesos. Jimmy am tell Patya this "cheese sauce" but Patya am never hear of such thing. Patya wanting thank @the5urreal for being big friend. Patya am much enjoying playing for spooky ghostmans with him! Is many funs! We am brothers from other mothers! Patya not wanting for be on team with anyone else! Patya also want thank Minnesota kingsmans. Patya know time there many roughs, but they am draft Patya and that means much. Patya hoping trade deal to spooky ghostmans am helping kingsmans to get many strongs! Patya also wanting thank @JKortesi81 for finding space for Patya on spooky ghostmans in this trade so Patya can play with best friend Atticus Hale! Is meaning much to Patya. Patya wanting thank @retuperkele for always help Patya with fantasies. Maybe is not much, but is still meaningful. Patya also wanting say thank you to everyone else am interacted with. Everyone always so nice to Patya and is making Patya feel welcome in SHL!

+2 TPE

TOTAL: +16 TPE

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]

I am a GM rooting for my former players

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

gm cw pass

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Fileworker CW pass

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

7. +3 TPE for 4 Milestones

[Image: 2KXWbXN.png]

CW PASSSSSSSS

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

J GM CW Pass

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

SMJHL HO CW Pass

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

gm lol

[Image: rotti.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2022, 06:26 PM by boom. Edited 5 times in total.)

Trivia word: paper

Quote:b. Manhattan has charged from a ninth place regular season finish to an Eastern conference championship and a shot at the Challenge Cup. I don't think that it's out of line for me to say that not many saw this coming. How do you think they got to this point? Who's performing better than expected? Do you think they have enough gas to complete the Cinderella run? (1 TPE)

The biggest reason for Manhattan making it to the finals would have to be Lev Lebedev. He exploded in the playoffs and was able to be the leader that Manhattan needed to get past some tough opponents, leading the playoffs with 22 goals and 43 points. Name Redacted also turned into a brick wall along the way, putting up a .921 save percentage and three shutouts across the playoffs.

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Tough to Swallow (150 words min.)

In your opinion, who was the best SHL or SMJHL team to NOT win the Challenge Cup / Four Star Cup? Who was on that team, and why do you think they deserved to win it all? What round did they lose in and how? Was it bad luck? A hot opposing goalie? Inexperience?

The best team to not win the Four Star Cup would be the Quebec City Citadelles. They had an explosive two-headed offensive threat of senior players Sophie Bordeleau and Portgas D. Ace, and the pair led the team in scoring by a wide margin. Ace in particular played one of the best playoff runs of all time coming up just short. The team was fun to watch and had plenty of incredible rookies. Forwards Tony Hawkey and Viktor Hargreeves were great on the third line, and rookie defenseman Alexander Minaj was a slam-dunk success as he racked up 51 points to place third on the team. Caleb Hayden was solid in net on the way to 40 wins and the plucky Citadelles won the Laurifer. The biggest reason the Citadelles made it as far as they did was their tenacity. They were never out of a game or a series, as shown when they erased a 3-1 series deficit against St. Louis and a 2-0 hole with less than 15 minutes left in Game 7 to come back and win the game and the series in overtime. The reason for the team's loss was an inexplicable 9-2 demolition that still bears no rhyme or reason.

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Hotel Rooms (150 words min)

During the playoffs it’s not uncommon to have to spend several days on the road in the same city. Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, who does your player share a room with on the road? What do you get up to? Are you the type to drag around a PS5 everywhere you go, or are you the first to hit the bar after the game? Are you a night owl or an early riser?

Sophie Bordeleau's first road trip roommate on the Citadelles was Louise St. Martin for reasons of gender. The younger Bordeleau was usually the more shy type at first while she acclimated to the environment, but once she was better-acquainted with teammates she was happy to be more social. Sophie isn't a heavy drinker, but she will enjoy the occasional visit to the bar after a road game. She would describe herself as somewhat of a night owl, and in particular loves having video calls with her friends and family to be able to keep in touch when the team is on the road. For entertainment, Sophie likes to keep it simple with her Nintendo Switch on the road, which has the games she likes and is a great way to pass the time. Now that she's one of the leaders on the team with the A on her chest, Sophie has recently taken to organizing outings on the road where teammates can get some bonding time, and it's this connection that's gotten the Citadelles to the finals.

7. Milestones +3 TPE

Quote:13. Graphic, 1 TPE, crAIyon? More like CWaiyon!

In the spirit of the insanely easy ring task that stayed around forever, we can keep running this one! Try using OpenAI’s DALL E Mini (now known as crAIyon) to generate a Challenge Cup related image. It could be a championship ring, your player lifting the cup, a locker room celebration. Go nuts as long as you’re attempting to make it SHL related! The results will be weird, but it’s fun!  https://www.craiyon.com/

[Image: JfyOeE0.png]

Enjoy zombie apocalypse Sophie.

Quote:23. Written, 2 TPE, Say Something Nice (100 words min.)

I’m not sure when we did this last, so that probably means it’s a good time to bring back the positivity prompt! Tag some other folks on the site and let them know why you appreciate them! Could be a GM, a friend, a department head, anyone! The goal is to make someone happy.

There are so many people I'm wanting to thank, I've been fortunate to have such a great group of people around me in the league. The past four seasons in Quebec have been incredible and I have to thank @Evok @RAmenAmen @Faelax @Caleb_H and others for bringing me in and helping get Sophie one of the highest point totals in SMJHL history. There are far too many people to tag here that have made QCC the best locker room to be in, but y'all know who you are and I love you guys. Big shoutout to @Toast and @Bfine for taking a swing on me by trading for me, and I hope to repay them and have a great career. Couldn't leave this without shouting out the SFP crew @AgentSmith630 @sulovilen @Keven @Spartan @LordBirdman @lespoils @Jimmysmo27 and so many others. Every one of you make the LR a joy to be in, and I'm excited to get to come up to the big club with you guys. Last but not least, big ups to the gals who have become some of my best friends on the site and are always a joy to talk to. I won't tag you for confidentiality, but y'all know who you are.

TPE: 14.5+trivia/16

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

GM CW Pass

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

b. Manhattan has charged from a ninth place regular season finish to an Eastern conference championship and a shot at the Challenge Cup. I don't think that it's out of line for me to say that not many saw this coming. How do you think they got to this point? Who's performing better than expected? Do you think they have enough gas to complete the Cinderella run?

The Rage's success this season makes a fair amount of sense. JayWhy began the rebuild in the tail-end of the S50s, start of the S60s. One of the trends that good rebuilds have demonstrated in FHM is beginning to bear fruit as the picks from those early rebuild seasons are a few seasons away from peak TPE. We saw it when Texas won their first cup, when LA won their cup, and in Seattle last season. Would I have predicted it at the start of the season? No. But it does go with a sleeper trend that I hope we see more of in the coming seasons. Now, as for whether I think Manhattan can make it: the Rage came out swinging in the first two games, but I think ultimately Seattle has the better roster. (136 Words)

d. In many ways this seems like a battle of who can stay hotter longer. Both teams have PDO ratings as high as 110 while barely having any players that dip below 100. Seattle and Manhattan are both on absolute heaters of strong goalies and high shooting percentages. What do you think is driving this, and who do you think can keep it going longer? Who comes out on top?

I think I'm beginning to liken the algorithms that control FHM to midichlorians in Star Wars; that is to say, the Force has been with both teams so far. The first two games are in the books, Game 1 going 3-0 to MAN and Game 2 being clawed out from under them for Seattle to win 5-4. It doesn't bode well for Seattle, but if they can get the wheels glued back on, I think they can win in 6 games. (81 Words)

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

+3 TPE - S67 SMJHL Milestones

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

CW Pass

[Image: hallsy.png]