Create Account

Trans Day of Remembrance

cw for discussion of violence and transphobia

[698 words, ready for grading]

This is a subject that's pretty personal to me, and I wanted to talk about it because it needs to be known about.

I'm boom, and while I'm fairly open about this on this site, for those who don't know I'm a trans woman. I realized I wasn't cis about two years ago and have been transitioning since then, and came out around April 2021. While it hasn't been easy, I am cognizant of the fact that I am privileged. My family accepts me and I have an incredibly supportive community of friends both in real life and online. Being able to talk about my experiences on this site openly is something I am proud of. I live in a province where I can socially and medically transition, and gender identity is a protected class in Canada so I do not need to fear legal discrimination for my identity. Unfortunately, many trans and gender-diverse people across the world do not have this luxury.

November 20 of every year has been marked as Trans Day of Remembrance since 1999, and this will occur this upcoming Sunday. On this day, the community comes together to commemorate trans and gender-diverse people who have been murdered due to transphobia. In the previous year between October 1, 2021 and September 30, 2022, there were a reported 327 murders of trans and gender-diverse people. The vast majority of these crimes were committed against transfeminine people, with roughly 2/3 of them being committed against BIPOC. This violence is intersectional and sadly far too common, as many of these attacks go unreported. Media reports of these crimes have also been criticized for deadnaming, misgendering, sensationalizing, and/or otherwise denying the victim's lived reality.

Even outside of these, trans people have been under vicious attacks for quite a while now, and the laws that are being passed in many states are just the latest example of that. Gender-affirming care is life-saving care for so many trans youth, and trying to restrict it leaves these kids worse off as they try to navigate a world that stigmatizes them. Sports should be open to all gender identities, and hockey is no different; the positives of inclusion in sports are myriad and foster a sense of community. These laws make it so much harder for trans kids to simply exist in the world and live their truth, and it hurts to see these transphobic laws be put into place. If you live in one of these places, if you haven't already, get loud. Tell your congressperson about how bad what they're doing is. Highlight the stories of the people who will be hurt by this and why they need to be able to access the medical care they need and to participate and gain the benefits from being involved in sports.

I am very appreciative of HO and the site leaders for setting an excellent example in creating an inclusive space for all identities, and to those who speak up when things aren't right. We need cis allies to amplify trans voices and shout it to the world that this is not okay. So many people will have someone in their life who is trans/gender-diverse, and if they don't feel comfortable speak up (and even if they do) it is important to combat and disrupt narratives of transphobia and the misinformation that comes with it. Educate yourself so that you can be a better ally to the trans people in your community. On Sunday, take a moment to consider the intersections of violence that have hurt so many of our trans siblings, and go forward with purpose.

~~~

And because this piece was kinda dark, I wanted to end it with an affirmation. To all trans and gender-diverse people out there, you are seen. You are accepted. You are valid. You are loved. You deserve to exist, to take up space, to live as yourself. This world, this community, is a better place with you in it, and I'm sorry that people aren't seeing that. I am glad you're here. Thank you for finding your voice and being brave and showing the world your true self. Thank you for being you.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

<3

[Image: Wally.png]

<3

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

<3 <3 <3

[Image: rm2.png?ex=661824aa&is=6605afaa&hm=6885c...6e2d79654&]
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2022, 01:57 PM by boom. Edited 1 time in total.)

Today is TDoR, and sadly there’s been another reminder why transphobic violence is so dangerous as there was a shooting at a Colorado Springs LGBTQ+ nightclub overnight with multiple deaths.

This is the direct result of politicians and media who choose to incite violence against queer and trans people. This blood is on their hands. It has to stop.

Rest in peace to the victims, and so much love to their loved ones.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]