Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Hockey Prompt - Written Task (153 words)
I have always been fascinated with hockey history as a fan of the Boston Bruins, an Original Six team. In addition to the legacy of being an Original Six franchise, the Bruins are the oldest American team in the NHL. On November 1st 1924, for a rumored $15,000, the National Hockey League welcomed Boston to the league. The owner that purchased the team, Charles Adams, was an owner of a local grocery store chain. The store’s colors were brown and yellow, which carried over to the iconic black and gold Bruin color scheme. The Bruins became a fixture of Boston’s culture, and the hard-working people of Boston flocked to the Garden to watch the Bruins play at the old Boston Garden. The Boston Garden was, in truth, an absolute dump. It had differing dimensions than other arenas and a significant amount of seats in places where you couldn’t even see the playing surface.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Written Task:

I think the thing that is cheesy but still what impresses me the most within hockey history is just how dominant Wayne Gretzky was.  That motherfucker was probably the most dominant athlete of all time in his respective sport.  If you take the highest producer of all time from the NBA, MLB, Premiere League, and the NFL, I think Gretzky's point record is still the furthest from ever being broken.  I say that having no idea who the leaders are or what their totals consist of for these other sports, but I am still say8ing it with confidence.  There will never be another Gretzky because of how the game has changed.  Goalies are no longer absolute dogshit in the net, the days of ripping shots from the blueline through no traffic at all and getting goals are over.  Players have to be more creative now, and tend to rely on passing to move the goalie out of position.  Ovechkin breaking the goal record will be cool though.

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

My personal favorite record, for obviously selfish reasons, is the record for Career Playoff Points, Goals, and Assists held by my first player, Joe Kurczewski. If there’s one thing i wanted Joe K to be when I first started playing in the SHL, it was for him to be clutch in the biggest moments. And that’s exactly what he was. When Joe K retired, he was the leader for all of these things. His 229 points were 69 points more than the closest contender, Terrance Nova (160). Joe K was so dominant in the playoffs, he was ALWAYS in the conversation for Playoff MVP. Even more impressive was that Joe K did this mostly in the STHS era. Since then, Aaron Wilson has actually tied Joe K’s 94 Goals and 135 Assists, but he did that in more games and during the era in FHM where Hamilton had a distinct advantage over the rest of the league, which devalues his points a bit. Points per game though, its your boy Joe K. And I’m really proud of that. Secondly, I really enjoy Joe K’s record of SIX gold medals with Team USA (take THAT Ireland). (195)

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Written Task:
As an avid researcher of the game, I find a lot of joy in finding the information key to the formation of the game. Old newspapers are some of the best sources for info not readily known or widely accessible, yet it paints a vivid picture of how our game came into the public consciousness. One of my first curiosities, as morbid as it sounds, was hockey's first recorded fatality. According to most records, the unfortunate title for the professional game was one Archie Hooper, a member of the Montreal Amateur Hockey Club, due to an incident where a puck was fired directly into his head. This was the first professional casualty, but in my personal research I wanted to find the first recorded case of a hockey-related death. It was a pleasantly short search, but I was able to find a copy of The Times, the official national paper of London, England, that discussed the death of one Samuel Hilton, a student at the Sandhurst Military Academy, who was struck by a stick on the backswing of a teammate's slapshot on the 20th of October, 1843. According to all sources, he is the first recorded case of a reported death due to a hockey game, and also the first death to be recorded with a hockey-related cause of death, as his official coroner's report states the cause as "Accidental death caused by the blow of a hockey stick". This is exciting because it's the first story corroborated by several other papers, making it a likely-factual story. It's curiosities like me that motivate me as a freelance historian.

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

[Image: OsHsbIP.png]

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

So first prompt and for me the biggest is Season 48 when the Vancouver Whalers won the cup. I was a huge help in that season and looking back at that season it is what got me hyped about sim leagues which ultimately shapes a lot of ISFL, PBE, Super Casual, SSL, WSBL, etc to this day. I brought in amazing users like Pau Adrian, James, Aneeq, etc and made some people become friends and play with each other for the first time with the successful teams I have run and it can all be tracked back to that single season. Now the Whalers went downhill rapidly after that season in management but without this team and mazing locker room I think a lot of sim leagues are shaped differently and a good number of teams either remain in rebuild or might not get specific titles which is crazy to think about considering how many seasons and championships have happened in nearly 4 years.

[164 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Player Prompt

Well Kata Vilde at one time was one of the greatest goaltenders the SHL has ever seen. At his retirement he was second in all time wins, the all time leader in shutouts, had several award nominations and a couple wins and also had a cup to his name. He was a mainstay in the Calgary Dragons net for his entire career, finally stepping aside when he felt the next generation was ready. What is lost in all this is his Hall of fame candidacy or lack thereof. The SHL Hall of Fame has simply ceased to exist right in Vilde's first year of eligibility. In fact it's been 4 seasons since there actually has been a Hall of Fame ceremony. It appears this glorious part of the leagues history is dead. There have been multiple directors promising progress but to date the Hall is still way behind. The danger is with all the high output from the new sim, those players that still played in the STHS era like Vilde will have their stats lost. There place in history at the time of retirement completely wiped out from all the now hyper inflated stats of the FHM era. One can only hope if they ever catch up the truly deserving players won't get lost in the shuffle.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

I know it’s a bit of recent history, but I think Nhamlet’s dominance as a GM at both the SMJHL and IIHF level absolutely deserve recognition. Ham was able to win 4 4 star cups in 5 seasons from season 60 to season 64, only missing out on season 61 which was won by Vancouver. It was a run of dominance in the SMJHL not seen since Vancouver winning 4 cups between seasons 14 and 19. While the Kelowna teams of 40 to 42 and the St. Louis teams of 44 to 46 were dominant, I think Ham and Newfoundland’s dominance was more impressive, as being able to master FHM took more skill than STHS in my opinion. When looking at IIHF, Ham led Japan to their first two gold medals in team history in seasons 59 and 60, leading strong back to back campaigns for a nation not expected to make noise. That’s why I think Nhamlet’s GM runs should be fondly remembered as the dominant campaign’s that they were.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Henrik Lundqvist has always been my all-time favorite hockey player. He holds the New York Rangers' franchise record for most wins, as well as most shutouts. He is one of 15 NHL goalies to have at least 11 20+ win seasons. He leads the Rangers in all time playoff wins, with 61. His franchise record for shutouts is 64, and his record for wins is 459. He wasn't necessarily the best goalie in any particular season, seeing as he has 5 Vezina nominations but only 1 win. But what makes him so special is his consistency. He was constantly one of the top goalies in the league for nearly his entire career, not just in the regular season, but in the playoffs too. He was the heart and soul of the Rangers since the day he joined the league, and his franchise records leave a lasting legacy. Time will tell if any other Rangers goalie can come close to his numbers.

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

[Image: shlsyhitryo.png]

[Image: izzy.PNG]

Player Prompt:

In the S64 season, Quebec City goaltender Justin Time broke the SMJHL single season record for wins with his 43rd win of the year, eclipsing the previous record held by Olof Karsikko and Jonas Johansson. Playing on such a dominant team with his backup playing only the minimum 8 starts, it took every opportunity to get that final win to break an already near unbeatable record. That's why this season is looking that much more special, as Detroit second year goalie Jeff Newman has already notched record breaking win number 44 in just 51 games, with a week left in the season to stretch that mark even further. Detroit is in the middle of another outstanding season and the clear cut favorite for this year's Four Star Cup, and the incredible play of Newman is the leading factor in their amazing run. With a .910 save percentage (1st among starters), 5 shutouts (2nd among starters), 58.36 goals saved above average (2nd among starters), and a 2.16 GAA (1st among starters) all in addition to the single season wins record, Newman is on a historic pace for one of, if not the best season by a goaltender in the SMJHL. Congrats to @Lumosityfan for taking the league by storm!

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

First PT in a while that I'm struggling with because I really don't know much about SHL history and too lazy to learn. So I am going to go with real life hockey here.

As I am sure everyone knows, Ovechkin is gunning for Gretzky's goal record and is steadily climbing the ranks. Just this past Tuesday he had yet another hat trick and that put him at 800 goals in his career which is an amazing stat. However, he still has a lot of hockey left in him and he will need all of it if he wants to get past Gretzky's record. At 802 he will be in second place for all time goals, passing Gordie Howe's 801 record, and that is pretty much a given at this point. I read an article recently that showed that this game was also his 136th game opening goal. He's racking up records all around and another that I was really impressed with is that he is the only player to get to that 800 goal mark with a single franchise. Ovi rocks the red through and through and is beloved not only in the DC area but around the league as well.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

PLAYER PROMPT:

Long ago, few teams had ever strung together cup winning seasons before. Dynasty’s were unheard of in the SMJHL with many considering the prospect unlikely with the high turnover rate in each roster and the natural ebbs and flows of the league. A couple teams like The Kelowna Knights and Vancouver Whalers had back to back cups through the first three decades.

After bottoming out in Season thirty seven, Kelowna had a massive, strong season thirty eight draft. But first round exits in thirty eight and thirty nine left a lot to be desired.

Season forty was a magical one. Finishing first in the league gave the Knights a bye into round two. There they dispatched the Colorado Mammoths, (now Raptors) in six. This bought a date in the Four Star Cup Finals against the Detroit Falcons.

Here it was a surprising sweep of four straight. Scores of five to one, four to three, six to three, and three to two sealed the deal and started something insane. Season forty one saw them navigate roster turnover before sweeping both Detroit in round one and St. Louis in round 2. Grinding out a seven game series against the Montreal Militia for back to back cups.

They weren’t done there though. Season forty two was another good run. Sweeping Anchorage in round two after yet another bye and beating arch rivals Vancouver in the finals in six to make history.

Since the start of season 40, two other teams have had short dynasties.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

I will say, being forced into retirement by getting my balls cut off by head office really stung. Weird way to start I know. Joseph Fantobens was one of the last group of enforcers before we were taken out of the game. A player built specifically for being a piece of shit. Mostly due to the tpe restraints of mid level earners wanting to be useful. Last season the league leader in hits had 181. Pathetic. What happened to this league. Look back at season 60. Panda led the league in hits with 525. Old time hockey. There were five players with 350 hits. These warriors of the past get no recognition. No love. Their rolls were taken from them. Lives turned upside down. Legacies lost. All in the name of parity. Ptew. I spit on your parity. Now I have made a goalie. This is your fault.
Players who put their bodies on the line. Night in and night out. Just to be tossed aside. Pfff

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

Code:
Written Task: Write about any team, player, or record that is important to SHL history, and why. It could be something your player did, or maybe not! What parts of SHL history do you think are most interesting and exciting? Is there an old part of the site's history that you feel is important but often forgotten? Why should more people know about it? Take this chance to brag about how historically important your player is, or to get on your soapbox about how cool someone else is! (150+ words)

Since I am BASE PACK I am going to write about BASE PACK's place in SHL history even though he has not been in the big leagues for very long in his career. Seeing as that BASE PACK hasn't been in the league for very long I do not think he is actually a part of any real SHL records that people would track in the history section on this site. He had a pretty strong rookie season but I do not think he qualified for any sort of records during that initial campaign of his career. But for a fact I do know that BASE PACK holds the record in the SHL as the first player in the league that is actually a pack of cards, so that is pretty neat. I am not sure if there will ever be another pack of cards that plays hockey in the SHL, but I still like to think that BASE PACK is blazing trails for all those little packs of cards out there that have dreams of being a professional hockey player someday. BASE PACK should get his own little profile icon showing off this achievement so that no one on the site ever forgets this little slice of SHL history!

210 words

[Image: 66818_s.gif]