Create Account

Jack McCarthy talks Regina, Texas and USA

Today, we were able to sit down with Jack McCarthy. It's been a busy and wild past couple seasons for McCarthy, as he went from SMJHL signing to SHL draftee to World Junior gold medalist in what felt like a blink of an eye. But for McCarthy, he has learned to take it day by day and really appreciate each step of his hockey career. We were able to catch up with McCarthy for a few questions as we learned more about his experience and what he sees in his future.

Q: Jack, thanks for taking a bit of time to chat with us today. Let's start with your junior career. You did not get to experience the SMJHL draft like many of your peers and teammates did. What was that experience like of being a player that was claimed off of waivers in the SMJHL?
JM: Thank you for having me! Boy, it was wild to say the least. I unfortunately missed the deadline to be eligible for the SMJHL draft in Season 68, so when I finally committed to joining the league, I had to await my fate for a couple days as teams had the chance to claim me off of waivers. During that time, I didn't want to just sit back so I made sure to talk to as many teams and managers as I could. If for nothing else, I wanted to get my name out there as a "nobody" coming into the waiver system. It led to some great conversations and there were many teams that I was excited at the potential of joining. When I heard that Yukon had claimed me, I was so excited to hear and started packing my bags. Not too long after I got that news, I got word that my rights were being traded to Regina. Definitely had to study up on my Canadian provinces to learn the differences between Yukon and Regina! And if I'm being honest, the fact that Regina went out of their way to trade for me was certainly exciting.

Q: How were those early days in Regina? What stood out to you when you first joined their locker room?
JM: The management team of Regina was phenomenal. They made sure all my questions were answered and that I had everything I needed to quickly get assimilated. After settling in, I had the chance to meet with my new teammates. Everyone was so welcoming, and it didn't take long for me to realize that Regina was the perfect landing spot for me. What stood out to me about the Regina Elk locker room was how easygoing everyone was. They all joked around with one another, but when myself or anyone else needed some assistance they were quick to respond and make sure it was taken care of. I am certainly more of a laid back person myself, so I knew early on I could fit in with my teammates.

Q: Prior to Season 69, you found out that you would become the next captain of the Regina Elk. Could you describe to us what that moment meant to you?
JM: Where do I even begin? I really have a tough time putting into words how honored I am to be the captain of the Elk. This is a franchise that has and has had so many great players and leaders, so the fact that I could join some of those players in being a leader of the franchise really meant a lot. It also meant a lot to me that the captaincy was voted on by the team, because I just really enjoy these people so much and want to see us all succeed as a team. So the fact that they trust me enough to allow me the opportunity to be in this position just means more than they will ever know. 

Q: Your first season, Season 68, saw the Elk with a good amount of success as you finished toward the top of your league and won your first round playoff matchup. Season 69 was a different story, as the Elk finished toward the bottom of the league. How did you personally handle such a drastic change in team success?
JM: I would be lying if I said it was easy. Joining a successful team midway through a season, I felt like I was on a high that would not end. It was incredible to go into the post-season with such high expectations in my first season. But, once we lost that series we knew things were going to change. It was humbling all around.

Q: That was when management made the difficult decision to trade Brendan Laroux and Hodor to Detroit. How did the team respond to that?
JM: It was tough. Hodor and Laroux were not only two of our most reliable guys on both ends of the ice, but they were leaders as well. We knew it would leave a gap on our roster. I remember talking with the rest of my Elk teammates just to make sure everyone was feeling alright. In the end, I think we all understood the business side of the junior league, and both of those guys were going into their last year of junior eligibility, so we were going to lose them soon one way or another.

Q: Fast forward to the S69 SHL Entry Draft, and you heard your name called 15th overall to the Texas Renegades. Can you describe that moment and what it meant to you?
JM: It was one of the most amazing feelings of my life. Just to know that my hard work and dedication paid off in the form of getting the opportunity to be drafted meant a lot. I remember sitting there in tears with my family around me; emotions were certainly high that night.

Q: Was Texas a preferred destination for you?
JM: I mean it when I say I would have been happy anywhere I was selected. But, for me personally Texas definitely found their way to the top of my own board. Through pre-draft conversations, I felt that I was really able to connect with management as well as some of their players.

Q: And in case some forgot, Texas traded up to select you at pick 15. Did Texas trading up to select you impact your mentality at all?
JM: Whenever a team trades up to select a player, I think it automatically comes with added pressure. I mean, this team is giving up future assets to acquire you in the hopes that you become their next star player. That is not something I carry lightly, and I am as determined as ever to make sure that Texas feels good about their decision for years to come.

Q: Any insight you can give us into the future of the Texas Renegades?
JM: All I will say is I am very excited, as I know my teammates and our management team are, for the future of this franchise. We have some rockstar players and personalities here, and I think it will show on the ice in a few seasons.

Q: You also had the opportunity to be a part of a gold medal team in the World Junior Classic tournament this season for Team USA. What did that mean to you?
JM: Since I started playing hockey, I’ve always had a dream to put on the USA uniform. So, safe to say this was a dream come true for me. It was a dream just to play one game for team USA, let alone with gold. It was great getting to meet and play with people who I had not had the chance to connect with previously. You could tell we all had that same mentality of knowing we were representing the USA in this tournament, and I think it showed in our play. It was also fun getting to play a bit of forward in this tournament! Overall, it was an experience I will never forget and I’m forever grateful for the opportunity.

Q: You have certainly been busy lately. Can you tell us what is next for Jack McCarthy?
JM: For now, I am really focused on helping to bring a championship to Regina. We are battling for a playoff spot this season, and I am confident we can get in and win the whole thing. I anticipate that I will be spending my last junior-eligible season next year in Regina as well, so the goal is to win a championship next season as well. I know we have the team to do it and I’m really excited for the rest of this season, as well as next. From there, I look forward to moving to Texas and really getting familiar with the area. I’ve already built some great friendships with my future Texas teammates, and in a couple seasons I look forward to contributing to the team’s success going forward. 

Q: Thank you for your time today, and best of luck the rest of the way!

JM: Thank you for having me on!

[Image: 51LSJnR.png]

TEX TEX TEX

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Nice read!

Hope you will continue to develop as a top end prospect, you're already in the right track!

Texas can't wait to have another active defenseman to join the roster, I'm sure you will do well.

Renegades Renegades Renegades

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

Good read!

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Reading this got me all hyped for the future of Texas all over again! Glad you're part of the team and can't wait to get you up here! Go chase that cup in Regina!

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Are you related to Cloud and Barret McCarthy by chance?