Create Account

Democracy in the SHL

I'll reverse my opinion on this if we can elect @Kalakar back as simmer

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

04-20-2023, 03:42 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Can we democratically elect people to force them into jobs they don't want?

[Image: shl.png]

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

04-20-2023, 02:41 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I can’t wait for the great democratic vote to rebrand to the Gnomedab Hockey League where all the teams are named after a copypasta of the past and we sim all the games by making jase and mcgrids play bubble hockey in Finn’s basement

is this... an option? If so, I choose this one.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

04-20-2023, 03:43 PM_Blitz_ Wrote: No, but you CAN have "The Chris McZherl™ Minnesota Chiefs™ Rookie Aptitude Test".
Truly the darkest timeline

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 04:55 PM by PremierBromanov. Edited 1 time in total.)

04-20-2023, 03:52 PMBfine Wrote: Is this because your opinion was overruled on the Russia change or just convenient timing?

I don't think opinions are overruled but the timing isn't great, huh

Also I think he polled his own players so it was a fairly democratic process either way. I think I'd lose that fight if we had a voting system too. I don't argue for things to get my way

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

04-20-2023, 04:20 PMSDCore Wrote: is this... an option? If so, I choose this one.
I have to get a basement first

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

I would like to vote mcZ for HO please

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

04-20-2023, 05:47 PMluke Wrote: I would like to vote mcZ for HO please

Seconded.

04-20-2023, 04:54 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: I have to get a basement first
I am initiating a vote to allocate the SHL pension fund to install a basement at Finn’s house

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

04-20-2023, 02:47 PMRangerjase Wrote: FWIW I need to start test simming. Mcgrids beats me every time

I can help you run some tests. My experience comes from mini sticks but it could translate to Bubble Hockey.

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

04-20-2023, 02:41 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I can’t wait for the great democratic vote to rebrand to the Gnomedab Hockey League where all the teams are named after a copypasta of the past and we sim all the games by making jase and mcgrids play bubble hockey in Finn’s basement

I want front row tickets and a couple bottles of bad booze decisions.

[Image: Wally.png]

The SHL couldnt handle democracy

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2023, 05:22 AM by RomanesEuntDomus. Edited 1 time in total.)

The league did try some more democratic systems in the past and it didn't work very well. That was also a very different time and culture though with fewer checks and balances and way more arguments all around, so it could go different this time. In my experience though, looking at this through the lense of "power" isn't the most useful way. The limiting or most decisive factor when it comes to who gets to make the decisions here isn't who is the most power hungry, it's simply who is willing to take on all the work that is associated with the higher up positions here.

Many aspects of this league are more complex than they look from the outside, I personally would rather have a small group of very engaged people figure out what the best course of action is, than having a binding vote among everyone, where a big chunk of the electorate might not be informed at all on the specific issue in question, the pros and cons, the rules that currently exist or the reasons why it was set up this way.

I've worked in a lot of these kinds of committees in the past, from Discipline to Awards to Head Office, and in my experience the intense discussions you have in these groups, the in-depth arguments that people make and the ways your own viewpoint gets challenged are so much more valuable than the discussions you have in any of the public threads around these matters so many of the posts are just one-liners, memes, complaints that aren't backed up by any reasoning. You can make the point that these discussions would actually improve once they hold actual weight in the democratic process and I would probably agree, but they still would be far off from the quality of the work that is done by the unelected people in charge as we speak. Some more democratic elements could still add value though, open forums where the higher-ups have to answer every question that is posted, non-binding votes about big picture issues that might change the direction of the league, those are things that I absolutely would be for.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

04-21-2023, 05:13 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: The league did try some more democratic systems in the past and it didn't work very well. That was also a very different time and culture though with fewer checks and balances and way more arguments all around, so it could go different this time. In my experience though, looking at this through the lense of "power" isn't the most useful way. The limiting or most decisive factor when it comes to who gets to make the decisions here isn't who is the most power hungry, it's simply who is willing to take on all the work that is associated with the higher up positions here.

Many aspects of this league are more complex than they look from the outside, I personally would rather have a small group of very engaged people figure out what the best course of action is, than having a binding vote among everyone, where a big chunk of the electorate might not be informed at all on the specific issue in question, the pros and cons, the rules that currently exist or the reasons why it was set up this way.

I've worked in a lot of these kinds of committees in the past, from Discipline to Awards to Head Office, and in my experience the intense discussions you have in these groups, the in-depth arguments that people make and the ways your own viewpoint gets challenged are so much more valuable than the discussions you have in any of the public threads around these matters so many of the posts are just one-liners, memes, complaints that aren't backed up by any reasoning. You can make the point that these discussions would actually improve once they hold actual weight in the democratic process and I would probably agree, but they still would be far off from the quality of the work that is done by the unelected people in charge as we speak. Some more democratic elements could still add value though, open forums where the higher-ups have to answer every question that is posted, non-binding votes about big picture issues that might change the direction of the league, those are things that I absolutely would be for.

r/threadkillers

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Interesting idea! Not sure that it would work though. I feel like every change would take weeks to come to a vote that would be split.

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran,