Create Account

How much do you enjoy the SHL right now?

I wholeheartedly love the SHL, potentially more now than even when I was first introduced to it in 2019.  The SHL is so much more than just a simulation league based on a game.  That may have been what drew all of us in, but the retainer is...and always has been, in my opinion, is humanity.  Communication.  The yearning of human interaction albeit in a digital space.

Being part of the SHL is very much like being part of a very large family.  Sure, there are brothers and sisters and cousins if you will that you may not get along with at every step of the way, yet still we all get along.  Regardless of your faith, or age, or what pronoun you choose to call yourself we all choose to be here, together and we care.  We love.  We respect and admonish all the same.

Sure, years ago when the site and community was in its infancy there was a lot of things that were intolerant and just downright ignorant, but, as we grew so too did the site.  The bonds that we share here between users transcends the teams that we play on or the games that we play.  In the years since this site was created, and definitely in the few years since I joined here...I have seen strangers become friends.  Friends become basically family.  We have even lost some, though never forgotten, who's passing affected each and every one of us.

In the locker-rooms of discord and DM's with each other we share life stories and events.  We check on each other and laugh at stupid jokes.  We bicker and fight when we don't agree on something and then turn around and mend over a game of Dungeons and Dragons.  If someone comes in and really tries to drop bigotry or other sorts of foolishness everyone rallies together because we believe in something....and that things can be better.

If not by blood or by other definitions, that makes us here, Family.  A continued and extending conglomerate of individuals who not only enjoy hockey, but enjoy communion.

Sure, there are things that are going to be annoying like PT's and parity and other metrics that can be measured, but that isn't the end all be all reason we are all here.

So to ask how much I enjoy the SHL right now?  I don't.  I don't enjoy it.

I love it.

I hate it here, I've never been gatored anywhere else but here

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

05-19-2023, 12:17 PMsteveoiscool Wrote: I hate it here, I've never been gatored anywhere else but here

Steveo is 10000% correct.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023, 12:52 PM by Frenchie. Edited 1 time in total.)

05-19-2023, 11:07 AMluke Wrote: It’s gotten to the point of like, there are about 350-375 people on the site. There is enough dedicated people to keep it running, but they get stretched thin, and can’t do all the extra stuff.
I don't want a pity party, but I seriously considered taking a break this week because of this, and i'm not even the most stretched out in this league. I can't even begin to think how crazy it gets for some people. I say that with as much compassion and understanding, but although jobs are optional and you shouldn't feel mandated to do them, I feel there's a general sense of complacency in letting a handful of nut jobs like myself hold this whole show together with chewing gum and chicken wire. A lot of departments need help.

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

05-19-2023, 12:51 PMFrenchie Wrote: handful of nut

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

05-19-2023, 11:20 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: I just dont think very many people enjoy writing or creating graphics. Or reading for that matter. I mean, we're not an art creation league, we're a sim league. Shouldn't be a surprise that folks find it more demanding than fun to join a tournament, write double media, do graphics school, or what have you. If we want people to enjoy the effort part of the league, we should try making the requirement something fun. Else we should accept it as a necessary burden that gives meaning to the sim. Presenting the burden in different contexts is never going to make it not a burden.

Ok, what is it then. What could we do that can make people put effort and enjoy a part of the league

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

05-19-2023, 12:51 PMFrenchie Wrote: I don't want a pity party, but I seriously considered taking a break this week because of this, and i'm not even the most stretched out in this league. I can't even begin to think how crazy it gets for some people. I say that with as much compassion and understanding, but although jobs are optional and you shouldn't feel mandated to do them, I feel there's a general sense of complacency in letting a handful of nut jobs like myself hold this whole show together with chewing gum and chicken wire. A lot of departments need help.

As someone who ran a department for a little over a year, this is true.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

05-19-2023, 12:51 PMFrenchie Wrote: I don't want a pity party, but I seriously considered taking a break this week because of this, and i'm not even the most stretched out in this league. I can't even begin to think how crazy it gets for some people. I say that with as much compassion and understanding, but although jobs are optional and you shouldn't feel mandated to do them, I feel there's a general sense of complacency in letting a handful of nut jobs like myself hold this whole show together with chewing gum and chicken wire. A lot of departments need help.

I am Events Department Head and I approve of this message

[Image: lespoils.gif]

05-19-2023, 11:20 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: I just dont think very many people enjoy writing or creating graphics. Or reading for that matter. I mean, we're not an art creation league, we're a sim league. Shouldn't be a surprise that folks find it more demanding than fun to join a tournament, write double media, do graphics school, or what have you. If we want people to enjoy the effort part of the league, we should try making the requirement something fun. Else we should accept it as a necessary burden that gives meaning to the sim. Presenting the burden in different contexts is never going to make it not a burden.
Any practical suggestions?

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

I know for graphics tournaments and what not, I'm always interested and want to submit something but usually cannot find the time to get them in under whatever deadline is assigned to it, usually a week or two I think.  That is probably just a personal thing but figured I'd mention it. Maybe announcing at the beginning of the season for something due at the end of the season would get more involvement I don't know. I'm usually pretty slow at making non-site job related graphics because I tend to try to stay off the computer after work and on weekends.

I also know I've seen people discussing needing help with events and making renders and what not, but as I've voiced getting $500k for a full jersey swap just isn't worth the time I put into doing swaps personally.  I guess I could just not care about the quality I'm pumping out, but I can't really turn that off in my brain and I actually get pretty stoked when I see people using my ISFL draft graphics in their signatures. I'm not sure if there has been any discussion about increasing it (I feel like I've seen multiple people mention it is being talked about but who knows) but I do events graphics over in ISFL (usually try to do around 15 renders at least per draft myself) just because it is a great way to earn money.  So I guess maybe my suggestion is flood the market with money Biggrin

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

05-19-2023, 01:43 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Any practical suggestions?

My suggestion is take inventory of our intentions and priorities.

I'm just saying, we're potentially worried about a turd being too smelly. We've gone 70 seasons with it, so either it's fine and there's nothing we can do to polish it or it's not fine and we need to change it. I don't think it's a dire need, but our energy would be misplaced trying to polish something people generally see as work. Site serves a very important function, but the original intention of tasks may be misplaced at this point in time. Maybe it's not.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I don't miss it tbh

[Image: lebbish.gif]

05-19-2023, 12:17 PMsteveoiscool Wrote: I hate it here, I've never been gatored anywhere else but here
[Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

05-19-2023, 03:18 PMLeppish Wrote: I don't miss it tbh
You’re posting here aren’t you

Checkmate leppy

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Maybe if we all go outside, then start some farm just to post about it on the internet hoping for Chad points, we'd all feel better

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]