Create Account

How much do you enjoy the SHL right now?

05-19-2023, 05:35 PMsve7en Wrote: Mine was how we should scrap a generally successful J structure because some teams have struggled to keep their players through a rebuild.
I get what you are saying, but this kind of just feels like change=bad. There is nothing to say another structure wouldn't be the same or better, and looking at the J and the SHL as entirely separate and that they should be sheltered and not thought of as a single experience is wrong imo.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2023, 08:17 AM by FaraDian. Edited 1 time in total.)

Put me down under "dislikes mock drafts." It was fun when I was being drafted, because I know and like my classmates (go S68!) but I don't have the time or connections to keep up on each round of rookies. I know that some people enjoy trying to figure it out, but I think the overwhelming number of copied mocks suggests that's a minority.

On the other hand, I do actually enjoy CW. I'm a writer by trade though, so it falls into my wheelhouse, which I know it doesn't for a lot of people. Having graphic and podcast options is a good way to try to have something for everyone. I can't think of other areas/skills that could be included for people who don't want to write, Photoshop, or record themselves. Topics seem to be fairly expansive, I can always find a few that spark my interest.

For people that are bored during the off-season (other than brand new creates, I guess), I highly encourage you to get more engaged with IIHF/WJC. You don't have to GM or take a job, just get in the LR and talk it up. You'll be exposed to a different set of teammates and get to see your player perform in a different context. I know not all GMs, especially in the WJC bc it's often their first time, are super active in leading those LR. Leading engagement is the #1 question across all sim leagues though. At some point, it's up to us as players to be part of the solution.

Overall, four seasons in, I'm having a good time here. I don't have the past to compare it to, and I'm not the most outgoing/connected person, but it's working for me by and large. Partly I've been pretty lucky with the LRs I find myself in. I try to play the SHL like I play D&D: more about growing my character than my stats. Marton has become real weird and that's how I like it. He's like an episodic short story I get to keep working on. (Little about out to the idea of Story Mode PTs, even if the exact topic this season didn't inspire me. If y'all want help, I would love a shot at crafting just that one thing without having a full job, lol.)

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

05-19-2023, 05:35 PMsve7en Wrote: Mine was how we should scrap a generally successful J structure because some teams have struggled to keep their players through a rebuild.

The J should contract though. Could easily afford to knock two teams on the head.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023, 07:07 PM by Ruggsy. Edited 1 time in total.)

05-19-2023, 06:35 PMspooked Wrote: Not sure which part you are talking about tbh, but my thinking was that most of the time you are not in the top 4-6 teams in the league, which is the majority, at the very worst it's probably more than 51% don't you think?

Yea I read that a bit wrong on my phone, I now see you mean that when you are in the bottom of the league you are probably going to lose by a wide margin. my bad :prayge: I dont actually have that experience cause I paid way more attention to the J but I dont doubt it

[Image: Z8yXihx.png]

05-19-2023, 12:51 PMFrenchie Wrote: together with chewing gum and chicken wire.

[Image: close-door-robin-williams.gif]

But yeah, if you're sitting around in the off-season and you think that those 2 weeks are too long, I encourage you to join an off-season committee, the events team, one of the tournaments in ANY capacity. Join your team's war room as a scout ahead of either or both of the drafts. Join the history department. Be a grader, be an updater. You'll find out that the off-season flies by rather quickly.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

05-19-2023, 03:53 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: You’re posting here aren’t you

Checkmate leppy

Damn it

[Image: lebbish.gif]

Tbf chicken wire and chewing gum can probably make for some pretty interesting and creative combinations using the new Ultrahand ability

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

I love the part on these threads where we ask people’s opinions and the spend a lot of time trying to tell them why their opinion is wrong.

We don’t always have to agree, but maybe it’s a good idea to at least acknowledge why people are saying what they are rather than spending all this time trying to prove them wrong. 

The three Ps still apply here folks: public perception is paramount. And simply telling people they are wrong is kinda ignoring their perception

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

IIHF and WJC need to be promoted more / better. This has been an issue since I've joined, and likely beforehand. Also I think we're at a point now where the grind for a huge bank account is a bit overplayed, seeing as the league is basically kept alive via Discord. If someone doesn't have a role or 'job' on the site, how often do they visit the forums other than to update? The ease of earning needs to change, and yes it would be a massive overhaul. Of course there needs to be SOME sort of effort involved, to separate the super-earners from the casual users... but the whole system does need to change.

Overall, I enjoy the new sim engine, especially since the index finally became finished. Do I find the SHL fun? Not really, but it's something I look forward to during the regular season / playoffs. We're bringing in new members and the league is growing, so that's good, and honestly something I didn't expect to see 8 years ago. I just hope ownership keeps pace and realizes that with growth comes change. There's a significant age difference between those of us that have been around for 5-10 years and the newer generation, and with that comes a whole different philosophy on how they think and perceive. I hate to say this needs to be ran like a business, but for sustained success, it's the type of mentality you need.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

05-20-2023, 01:01 AMNJBadApple Wrote: I hate to say this needs to be ran like a business, but for sustained success, it's the type of mentality you need.
What exactly do you mean by this?

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

05-20-2023, 01:06 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: What exactly do you mean by this?

I'll tell you what I don't mean first; I'm not insinuating that you put a monetary value on TPE. What I am saying, is that the way people think now vs 10 years ago is vastly different. Someone nowadays might not be willing to put in the grind for a super high-end player like they were back in the early days of SHL. Instant (or faster) gratification is more appealing to the newer players, so it's just something to keep in mind. Businesses evolve over time, to keep up with current trends and psyche of their consumer base. Just saying that it might be prudent to take the same initiative here, to maintain the steady growth you've seen over the past couple of years.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

05-19-2023, 11:54 PM39alaska39 Wrote: I love the part on these threads where we ask people’s opinions and the spend a lot of time trying to tell them why their opinion is wrong.

We don’t always have to agree, but maybe it’s a good idea to at least acknowledge why people are saying what they are rather than spending all this time trying to prove them wrong. 

The three Ps still apply here folks: public perception is paramount. And simply telling people they are wrong is kinda ignoring their perception

unfortunately your opinion is wrong

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

[Image: Fq5M0NVXsAQ0n53.jpg]

[Image: izzy.PNG]

05-20-2023, 01:33 AMNJBadApple Wrote: I'll tell you what I don't mean first; I'm not insinuating that you put a monetary value on TPE.  What I am saying, is that the way people think now vs 10 years ago is vastly different.  Someone nowadays might not be willing to put in the grind for a super high-end player like they were back in the early days of SHL.  Instant (or faster) gratification is more appealing to the newer players, so it's just something to keep in mind.  Businesses evolve over time, to keep up with current trends and psyche of their consumer base.  Just saying that it might be prudent to take the same initiative here, to maintain the steady growth you've seen over the past couple of years.
i'll be honest maybe its because im ESL i dont really understand what you are trying to say, are you saying you want to make tpe easier to earn for faster gratification? or are you saying you want the tpe scale to be changed so that its easier or costs less to increase attributes?

[Image: izzy.PNG]
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2023, 02:13 AM by sash.)

alaska when people have discussions in a discussion thread

[Image: 4ea.jpg]