Create Account

NaomiMannequeen 9/24 (x2 IIHF media)
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2023, 03:35 AM by NaomiMannequeen. Edited 1 time in total.)

[Image: Norway_Hockey_Logo_Shoulder_Patch_Version.png]

Hello hello Naomi here! I'm writing here because I want to explain the meaning behind the symbol, of the graphic and colour choices for this piece. 

Firstly, the three interlocking triangles is a symbol known as the Valknut or "Knot of the Slain" while its official meaning is unknown, it is largely speculated that that Valknut represents the spirits of the fallen vikings giving their power from Valhalla to Midgard (also known as earth) to those still running across the battlefield. I intended for the symbol to depict this interpretation of its meaning for the hockey players who have once retired from Norway's ranks in the IIHF and giving their spirit to the new young players in the WJC and eventually representing Norway in the IIHF as well as represented by the hockey stick present in the logo as well. The circle itself doesn't represent anything, I just wanted to put it in a circle to serve as a neat way to combine it all into a shoulder patch-like logo, though refined, it could also potentially serve as a main logo.

As for the colour choices, the red, blue and white of the triangles and the fill colour of the circle happen to be the hex codes of the modern flag of Norway. The yellow is where things get a little interesting! The yellow I chose is the one of the Royal Standard of Norway which from a quick bit of research seems to have been used militarily when Norway was a Kingdom. It was also Norway's first official banner. Following that, yellow actually has a deep history in the flags of Norway appearing multiple times in the multitudes of time that the Kingdom of Norway was the name of the nation and also when they became Kalmar Union as well as the few times they were the Kingdom of Norway and Sweden. The intent is to show the yellow at the bottom as the spirit of the slain rising up to the modern colours of Norway's flag, helping empower the team to perform at its peak. NORWAY FOR GOLD BABY!!!

The intent of the logo was to be a shoulder patch, for Norway's IIHF jerseys possibly! But yeah! That's all from me, I hope you enjoyed and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to say outside of the title that this is a 2x payout because of IIHF media week. I joined right at the perfect time!!! Anyway! Naomi out! :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the whole reason it's in Pixel art is because that's the only medium I can do and even then I'm not all that great at it >.<

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

:cellyotternorway:

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

09-22-2023, 12:50 PMMuerto Wrote: :cellyotternorway:
:cellyotternorway:

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

Pixel artists unite! Awesome design! The valknut is probably my favorite of the symbols the vikings used.

[Image: 8FZ99SX.jpeg]