Create Account

S72 IIHF Germany's road to gold (IIHF 2x)

The season is over, the Montreal Patriotes were again knocked out of the playoffs by the New England Wolfpack. A devastating loss, because we all wanted more, we wanted to hoist that Challenge Cup. It was not meant to be unfortunately. The day after this loss our General manager called me in and said they were looking to trade me. I agreed and also agreed to sign a new deal without a no-trade-clause so I wouldn't have to waive it. I felt mixed emotions. Part of me wanted to stay in Montreal, becuase it's such a great organisation, but I also knew it was time for Montreal to rebuild and by trading me they could get assets to do so.

The same day I got the call from the General Manager of Germany. "We'd like you to be part of our roster again this season". I kind of expected it, but you never know, so these calls are always a relief. Two seasons ago we won IIHF Gold medal against all odds and last season was a bit of a dissapointment. We barely made it into the playoffs only to lose to Japan 7-2. This season had to be different. Our squad is amazing and we are capable of winning it again if we can get the right focus.

Our roster for the season 72 IIHF tournament was as follows:

Red Kirkby
Evan Winter
Konstantin Selich
Rikkert Biemans
Hans Graf ( Second alternate captain )
Olof Karsikko
Hodor
Kermit Murphy
Jonas Kahnwald
Julian Eaglesong
Oskar Scholz
Chris McZehrl Jr.
Greg Davies
Burlok Sulfurgold ( First alternate captain )
Faust Faker
Steve Harrington ( Captain )
Lasse Zeigler
Timo Lambert
Scoochie Stratton
Dominik Froste

We have some big stars on the team with Red Kirkby (2018 TPE), Evan Winter (1952 TPE) and Konstantin Selich (1819 TPE). Some of which have won individual awards in the SHL. I consider myself to be an up and coming talent in the German team, but I am far from being as good as one of these superstars. I am still young and I have time. Our team is further complimented with veterans such as Steve Harrington, Jonas Kahnwald and Burlok Sulfurgold.

About a week before the start of the tournament we got together at our training location. We started with a lunch together before getting into our gear and do some drills. We started out light and we were all grateful for that, I ate a little too much for lunch. After the first practice session we had a strategy meeting and watched some videos on our first opponent. Latvia is most likely not going to be a contender, but also not to be underestimated. In the following days we did the some for our other opponents in the round robin stage of the tournament. We would also be playing against Great Britain, Japan, Ireland, France and Czech Republic. We believed Japan and Ireland would be our strongest opponents this season in this round robin stage.

Round Robin Stage

Latvia - Germany
Our first game was against Latvia as mentioned before. We took a bad penalty early in the game and Latvia capitalized on it quickly. 1-0 down after 27 seconds into the first period.  After that goal we were a bit dissapointed and hard to work hard to not let the game slip away completely. Just before the end of the first period Konstantin Selich scored the equalizer and we went 1-1 into the dressing room. A big morale boost for all of us. Our second period was much better, with goals scored by Hans Graf, Evan Winter and myself. Latvia also got one by Mats Marner. In the third period we quickly sealed the deal with a goal by Chris McZehrl Jr and later Greg Davies.

Final score 3-6

Great Britain - Germany
Our game against Great Britain started completely different than the Latvia game. We scored just 8 seconds into the game. But after the Jonas Kahnwald goal we went dark and Great Britain managed to put us down 3-1 going into the locker room. Our manager was furious and we all got an ear full and rightfully so. We were much better than this. We came motivated back on the ice and we managed to tie the game with goals by Oskar Scholz and Evan Winter. Before the end of the period we even managed to gain back the lead with a goal from Dominik Froste. In the third period we added some more goals to shut down the game. Goals by Red Kirkby, Konstantin Selich and Julian Eaglesong gave us the full points after two games played.

Final score 4-7

Japan - Germany
One of the biggest games in the round robin stage, the game against Japan. Japan beat us last season in the knockout stage so we were out for revenge. Something about quick goals this tournament. Just about a minute into the game Faust Faker scored the go ahead goal for Germany. Japan got one back quickly and the period ended in a 2-2 tie. In the second period Japan looked fresher on the ice and score 3-2, but their lead didn't last long. Goals scored by Steve Harrington, Konstantin Selich and myself made sure we were up 3-5. The game ended 6-4 in favor for Germany, so the first blow was done towards Japan and we were leading comfortably in our round robin conference.

Final score 4-6

Ireland - Germany
Another big game on the agenda. The game against Ireland. I think Ireland are one of the favorites to win gold this season as they have a very strong roster. Though we were pretty focussed and didn't let them get the best of us. In the first period we were down 1-0, but goals by Konstantin Selich and Chris McZhrl Jr. made the score 1-2. In the second period Ireland was able to tie the score, but in the third period we pulled away with goals by Red Kirkby and two from Konstantin Selich. A very good start from Germany in this tournament so far and still flawless.

Final score 3-5

Germany - Ireland
After the previous game we were pretty confident to face Ireland once more. We showed we were able to beat them and we should be able to do it again. Our first period was just not good enough. Just the one goal from Evan Winter saw us trail 1-3 going into the locker room. The second period was a bit better from our side and we were able to bring the score back within one goal to 4-5 with goals from Red Kirkby, Greg Davies and Jonas Kahnwald. Our motivation and confidence was only getting better and better. We should be able to get back and tie the game and possibly even win it and that's exactly what happened. With goals from Faust Faker and myself we we were able to turn the game around and also win our second game against Ireland, a huge accomplishment.

Final score 6-5

Germany - Latvia
Our second game against Latvia was on the schedule. We started blasting in the first period scoring four unanswered goals. Goals by Red Kirkby (2x), Faust Faker and Greg Davies. Latvia got one back near the end of the period. Our second period was a disaster and Latvia was all over us. In the end they were able to tie the game 4-4. In the third period we did what we had to do and sealed the deal scoring two goals by Steve Harrington and another by Greg Davies.

Final score 6-4

Germany - France
On paper France is one of the weaker opponents in the conference, but we knew they were not to be underestimated. Yet we still did. I am not even sure what happened exactly, but France was really strong that day. Their special teams were on fire! They scored two power play and two shorthanded goals on us that game. We were stunned and hugely dissapointed in ourselves. How could this happen? Something had to change.

Final score 1-4

Germany - Great Britain
After our devastating loss against France we needed to bounce back and so we did. Great Britain was the victim. Our first period was again not that great, but with a solid second period we were up 3-2. Two goals by Burlok Sulfurgold and Hodor. In the third period we added two more goals by Greg Davies and Rikkert Biemans to complete the bounce back.

Final score 5-3

Germany - Japan
Our second game versus Japan was on the schedule today and we were all anxious about it. We had good form, but also showed weakness. If we'd win this game we'd be pretty much qualified as a good seed in the knockout stage. Though we started poorly and conceded another shorthanded goal. But at the end of the first period we were up 2-1 with goals scored by Jonas Kahnwald and Rikkert Biemans. Second period was pretty evenly matched and we both scored once. In the third period Japan pulled away and were leading 3-4. We did managed to pull the game to overtime with a goal by Konstantin Selich (who else?). In overtime it was pretty exciting, but Japan managed to get the win. Not all bad considering, but it was still a loss.

Final score 4-5 (OT)

Germany - Czech Republic
Czech Republic were up next and again we were looking for a bouce back game, but as shown in other games our first period was simply not good enough. Czech Republic scored two power play goals and we got an even strength goal by Konstantin Selich to trial by one at the end of the period. In the second period Red Kirkby managed to tie the game for us. In the third we were even scoring one a piece. Overtime did not bring a winner so it went to a shootout. Czech Republic got the best of us and took the extra point. Not a bad game, but we should have won this one.

Final score 3-4 (SO)

France - Germany
Time to get revenge on France. We had too, to stay close to Japan in the standings. That's also what we did. Steve Harrington scored the sole goal in the second period after a scoreless first period. In the third Red Kirkby and Evan Winter added two more to our tally and France only got one back.

Final score 1-3

Czech Republic - Germany
Our final game in the round robin stage was against the Czech Republic. We had to win to have a shot at the first seed and that is exactly what we did. A strong first period we were leading 1-4 with goals from Red Kirkby, Hans Graf, Evan Winter and Steve Harrington. In the second period we both scored one a piece, Rikkert Biemans for Germany. Same in the third period and the win was not in danger anymore.

Final Score 3-6

Standings Group A
1. Japan [29 points]
2. Germany [29 points]
3. Ireland [23 points]
4. France [15 points]
5. Czech Republic [15 points]
6. Great Britain [11 points]
7. Latvia [4 points]

As expected Japan, Ireland and Germany were by far the better teams. Suprisingly France made it to the knockout stage on a tie breaker over Czech Republic. Japan had the tie breaker over Germany. So the knockout stage would be Japan vs France and Germany vs Ireland.

Standings Group B
1. Sweden [22 points]
2. Norway [21 points]
3. Finland [21 points]
4. United States [20 points]
5. Canada [19 points]
6. Switzerland [13 points]
7. Russia [10 points]

This group was a whole lot closer than group A. Fifth place (Canada) missing out on the knockout stage only had 3 points less than number one (Sweden). The knockout stage would be Sweden vs United States and Norway vs Finland.

Knockout stage

Ireland - Germany
We won both games against Ireland so far this season in the round robin stage, but they are no easy opponent at all. We were kind of nervous before the start of the game, but those nerves were gone pretty quickly when Julian Eaglesong scored first. Evan Winter added another goal right before the period ended. Ireland threw everything at us, but it was Chris McZehrl Jr. who scored our third. Olof Karsikko stood on his head and recorded his first shutout of the tournament. On to the semi finals!

Final score 0-3

France - Germany
To everyones surprise France managed to beat Japan and faced us in the semi finals. After beating us before in the tournament we were warned. France took the lead in the first period and had the best of the game so far. In the second we managed to compose ourselves and score twice by Red Kirkby and Konstantin Selich. In the third period France equalized, but we able to score a power play goal to take back the lead. We added and empy netter at the end to seal our road to the finals.

Final score 2-4

Norway - Germany
Norway managed to beat both Finland and Sweden in pretty strong games and now faced Germany in the finals. Norway opened the scoring with shorthanded goal giving them a massive boost, but we composed ourselves and scored twice by Kermit Murhpy and Red Kirkby to lead after the first period. In the second period we added another goal by Faust Faker. In the third when late in the period Burlok Sulfurgold scored the 1-4 the celebrations on the bench slowly started. We were not going to give this away anymore and win our second gold medal in three seasons time.

Final score 1-4

GOLD MEDAL FOR GERMANY!
Just in time for the Oktoberfest celebrations!

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Germany Germany Germany

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

I didn’t even realize I was playing in the IIHF until I seen the pay come in. Happy we won!

S72 Best Season of All Time
[Image: S72_IIHF_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5898&is=6609e...height=662]      [Image: S72_4-STAR_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5873&is=660...height=662]