Create Account

S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023, 11:12 PM by hotdog. Edited 1 time in total.)

philippe eko eel is a defenseman (well technically a defenseeel [well technically i guess he's still male so still a defenseman if we count male eels as men]) for the Atlanta Inferno and to be honest the rest of the Atlanta D core is a bunch of old players like puddles of duck and michael with the check and angus mcpipe xviii @micool132 - eel can sometimes feel like he's out there floating on an island as the now top defensemaneel for the Inferno, so he'd like the forwards to take on some defensive responsibility as well. we need binko koivu @goldenglutes to shoulder some defensive responsibility and help out. binko actually used to be a defenseman (defensekoivu) himself so he should know how to play a strongly defensive game! the rest of the forward core is built around offensive firepower like shoyo hinata so it does come down to binko specifically to help out on the defensive end. he will be rewarded with cheese and milk!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Code:
Written Task: With some time to go still before your season starts, your player is contacted by an international organziation dedicated to growing the game. They're offering you a handsome check if you'll run a one-week hockey camp for them in any country that does NOT currently have an IIHF team. Which country would your player request? Why? How will your camp run?

The easy answer to this is Iceland. I mean especially coming off their performance made famous in the instant classic D2: The Mighty Ducks. I think we can get Wolf ‘The Dentist’ Stansson back in the mix and have him lead a group to the championship. How could you not root for a redemption story based around a beleaguered coach who was embarrassed in front of the world at the incredibly popular Junior Goodwill Games. After absolutely choking away the championship there to a less than stellar opponent and allowing a goal from the other end of the ice, it is time for the Dentist to start his comeback story. There is no better place for that story to begin than in the SHL IIHF. It would be great to have that powerhouse added into an already incredible group of countries and add more to the competition of a very fun off-season event.

153 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

OPTION 1

To start, Viktor would vehemently insist that any payment that would have gone to him instead be used to better fund local programs. He's always done hockey camps for free, and this time he's even going to match whatever number was on the cheque with his own money. Originally hailing from England, Viktor would love nothing more than to help grow the game somewhat close to home. He's already seen the potential in Great Britain, as well as his new home in Ireland, so for this occasion he'd more than likely ask for the opportunity to run the week-long camp in Scotland. Ice rinks that aren't just for curling are still pretty hard to find there, and he would love to change that for the better. Hopefully no one asks him to fund the construction of whole new areas because he would quite honestly say "yeah, sure!". Once a suitable location is established, Viktor will focus mostly on the fundamentals of skating and probably finish off the week with some all-star game style skill competitions.

Code:
175 words

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Option 2:

Axel excels on the breakout with his lightning speed and exceptional puck handling ability, so the best thing the other skaters on the team can do is feed him some sweet breakout passes. If the puck connects with Axel's stick as he's gaining speed through the neutral zone there is a high probability it will lead to a scoring chance. As Axel is a first line winger, you can expect him to help the defensemen out in the typical ways scoring wingers chip in. These behaviours include but are not limited to: coasting on the back check, cheating in the corners, and never taking faceoffs. That being said, Axel feels considerable shame when it comes to his two way game and is dedicating his training to improving his play in his own end, and being a more effective force in puck battles. It seems his efforts haven't paid off thus far this season, but he is undoubtedly chipping in more on defense than he did in his rookie season.

[Image: qqfzCsq.png]

Option 2:

I need the forwards to come back and support me when I'm in the corner in a dire need to make a play with the puck. I'm in a vulnerable spot and any risky play could result in a costly turnover and hurt the team. I desperately want them to be positionally sound and able to support these simple plays.

No I'm just kidding, what I really need is them to finish my passes. Every time. If I snap an absolute laser tape to tape and it doesn't go in the back of the net, I'm gonna burn the arena down and then smash all of the cars in the parking lot. I could lead the league in assists if they would just convert on chances generated by my absolutely lethal breakout pass. They would score more goals too, so it's a win-win. Really questionable why they choose not to score most of the time when I pass.

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

My player, Lily Jin Morrow, is glad that the IIHF organization is reaching out to SHL players for potential expansion cities, and have reached out to her to scout some young talent by holding a "youth camp", aka training camp for potential new rookies to warrant an expansion team. She decides what better country to hold this camp than none other than her own home country, Australia!

Australia is home to a wide range of athletic kids, after all they have to wrestle down mammoth spiders, out jump some kangaroos, and withstand some hot summers from an early age. Many kids will be sick of the weather, so they will turn to Ice Hockey for a nice change of pace!

These camps will mainly be putting the kids through series of practical drills, like racing around the ice, or learning how to drive a zamboni. It will reintroduce kids to the world of ice hockey, and potentially attract IIHF scouts to build the next hockey powerhouse right in the heart of Australia.

172 words

[Image: lily-sig-3.jpg]

If I had the power to choose any country to do a hockey camp in,, Its tough, but overall I would go with a poor country, and honestly do the whole camp out of charity to let the less fortunate players come and play and have fun. I can't decide exactly, but the Philippines, General South America, probably centered in Brazil. It's not about making the money, it's about getting some kids to come out and have fun. I would work with a donation foundation to supply gear of all sizes so anyone that wants to come out can, and the camp would be more of a basics, come learn how to skate and shoot the puck, and at the end of it all a few scrimmages to get the kids to know how the game works. All in all, charity drive That spans across the globe to bring my favorite sport around the world.

S72 Best Season of All Time
[Image: S72_IIHF_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5898&is=6609e...height=662]      [Image: S72_4-STAR_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5873&is=660...height=662]

2nd option

It really feels like the Los Angeles Panthers is playing relatively rough style of play with high hitting on the likes of Reed Kobo, Axel Kirby and even Yannick Svoboda who was supposed to be on the regressive side but is still landing hits here and there. LA is very proactive on boards and is looking to overcome their opponents there, but after that there is not much to see. From the perspective of an offensive defenseman who was made for distributing passes and landing shots that are easy to deflect onto the opposing goal I would love to see more movement in front of the net. We have big, strong guys in every single one of our forward lines which we can make use for ourselves by just having a static man shutting down the opposing goaltender's vision. If he has no idea what is going on and his reaction time is lowered by even just the slightest, he will lose his edge and wont be able to stop the shot

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

So first prompt and well, well, well. Look who is trying to grovel back into IIHF. Switzerlands ol' friend Austria. The dead as fuck team no-one misses. Isaac would run the camp as more so a brawling camp to get them ready to fight with a small hint of focusing on defence since that is what he would be doing in his normal camp. Isaac saves his fighting for off the ice but in theory he is ready to go whenever needed so Austria should try to adopt that same mentality whilst no-one wants them in the IIHF anymore. Plus the extra tips in defending would not hurt either since D is rather important in this game so maybe they can fluke a few wins instantly when allowed back. Worst case it at least makes losses less of a blowout since they would let less opportunities go. Seems like a win-win.

Now they just have to find an interest in IIHF again.

[165 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Prompt 1

Before the sentence is fully out of the NGO’s mouth, M’Baku Olubori SHOUTS “NIGERIA!!!!” The Benin City-born, Abuja-raised hockey star has made no secret of his calls to grow the game of ice hockey in Africa, and would choose his home nation as the starting point to grow the game. He knows the truth of the matter—Africans could dominate the sport if only they had the exposure and resources to allow young men to access, learn, and fall in love with the game like he did. Through the resources of the NGO and his own connections, Baku would seek to help get young people from all over the country to Abuja (the capital city) for this camp. The main reason is he knows that they have a few sheets of ice in place from his youth club days that can be leveraged. The camp would focus on fundamentals including skating, passing, and teamwork drills. Baku would help lead it alongside his own summer skills coach, Cassius Darrow, as well as childhood icons of his, cousins Ren-Ekemichi Shimizu-Okoli and Emeka Valentine-Okoli. A great time would be had by all as almost 30 years of SHL talent combine in Nigeria to grow the game.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

The area Adam Liebold would hold his camp to teach hockey would be Antarctica. He would head down there to teach the penguins the fantastic game. The penguins are familiar with the cold and ice already but it will take some time to get them used to holding the sticks with their flippers. Ultimatly they figured out their own style and have picked up the game very quickly. The caliber of thier play has increased very quickly and we expect them to be draft eligiable in S75 once they put on a little more size. They are extremely fast skaters and have great vision on the ice from they years of surviving and escaping from seals and orcas along with the other predators. Hopefully well see these penguins in the SHL very soon. Their addition would change the game forever and would allow an in road for the rest of the animal kingdom to join this sport and enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.

Foil Up Boys

Option 1:

I would select Bosnia.  I know several Bosnians and man those fuckers are hard workers.  The skills I would train would be the basics: legs.  Every single day would be leg day.  We would be squatting, front squatting, and dead lifting until all those little mosquito legs turned into tree trunks.  Once we have achieved this, we would transition to a skill based camp.  Hard drills in the morning, scrimmages at night.  Rest is for the weak.  Who actually rests?  People who have time to do so.  We only have a week!  Time to cram so much shit into this training camp that none of it retains.  They are going to learn the most intricate drills that even NHLers mess up.  And why?  Because I have no idea what I am doing.  I literally do not have a single ounce of hockey knowledge in my body.  It is completely void of all logic and reasoning as well.  Might as well have Mike Babcock coaching.

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]

Option 1

This is not a hard choice, but I would chose for the federation of The Netherlands. The Netherlands is currently ranked 29th on the IIHF rankings and I believe we do have a couple of users from The Netherlands so it could be an obvious choice to be an expansion federation for the IIHF tournament. It is kind of funny that Netherlands is not a bigger nation in hockey. They are good in field hockey and speed skating, but not a combination of the two.

My camp would focus a lot on physical aspect of the game. As most Dutch players will probably lose out in a one to one skill comparison, so ousting an opponent because of physicality would be the way to go. So there will be many hours in the gym and skating drills on the ice. Also watching a lot of video to find weaknesses of our opponents will be part of this camp, just so the players start to play smarter instead of trying to matchup in skill.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

For NEW we are really looking for production up and down the lines and on both sides of the blue line. As a forward, we are always looking to get the puck and get into scoring position and out of our end of the ice and that is the core role of the defensive line. Gotta get over there, get hits, block shots, and create takeaways. However, the dmen have an important role on offense too. Just look at the boxscores and you can see how the defensive players can put up big points. It's not uncommon to have some of the top point scorers to be slotted into a defensive role.

It is also not just about points either. The defensive line holds the blue line for getting the puck moving on the offensive end as well as keeps the opposing team from pushing the puck back.

In reality there are 6 people on the ice for the team and every single one of them is crucial to the team's success. Everyone needs to be able to play their role (which can vary from line to line or even player to player)

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

We had a lot of meetings before the start of the season about this. We have a great core of forwards, and some rookies joined this season, and will join next season, our defensive squad We all agreed we had to be careful, more responsible in our zone and force the other team to shoot from less dangerous spots on the ice. Baltimore tends to give a lot of shots, relying a lot on Sir Devoir to make the big saves. We cannot do that anymore. We know that Sven Petterson @SledgehammerPete , for example, our new rookie, is a jack-of-all-trades. They know how to support the attack, and they can play physical in our zone, but they have to learn how to transition from the SMJHL to the SHL. So far, they have the attitude to succeed, but it is our role to make sure they take it a step at the time, that they don’t lose their confidence. After all, we all know playing on our third line is not easy—same thing with Jay Bryzi @JaytheGreat. Jay is a machine and everybody knows they can become an all-star player. The kid can play rough, is big as a horse, and is the first to volunteer to get the puck out of tight spots. But the game is much faster here, and we have to put Jay in a situation where they can succeed. So our three offensive lines must be careful. Both of them are amazing teammates and we need to see them grow now so they will help with our second wave of rookies next year.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!