Create Account

OMG it's a 5 Year Presser!
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 08:40 PM by hhh81. Edited 4 times in total.)

Five years ago today, I was unemployed and desperately looking for a job. I swiped through Reddit and came across a post in r/bluejackets for this Simulation Hockey League thing. I skimmed over it and shrugged, then saw a name I knew from my HFBoards days, @WannabeFinn. I vaguely remembered the guy so I said, whatever, I'll make an account and see what it's about.

Here we are 5 years later; who would have thought I'd have done all the things I've done. So ask me questions! Make me muse about this weird experience I can't quit.

Question time!

10-22-2023, 10:02 AMMikeLiut Wrote: Congrats coach on your 5 years!  What would you qualify as the best moment you had in the league so far?
That's super hard! There's been a few good ones. I'd have to say S55 was up there: Darrow had one of his best seasons on a really good Buffalo team, and was in the mix for a Stevens nom. We went on to win his third Challenge Cup, despite New Orleans' best attempts to brute-force break FHM in those finals, and then I got to join my good friend @notorioustig as the first player in Seattle Argonauts history. I'm hopeful we can make some good memories in Baltimore as your group continues to come into their own!

10-22-2023, 11:31 AMSouthie Wrote: Tush push or Brotherly Shove? What do you prefer?
I have no idea what that means.

I just Googled it. Yeah, I don't care, I don't follow football (especially NFL Sick ).

10-22-2023, 12:15 PM_Blitz_ Wrote: Out of all of the players you've gotten to play with as Darrow and Olubori, who would be your all-star line/lineup?

When are we playing D&D?
For the first question, I'm going to shorten it to people that they specifically played with consistently as a linemate/partner, and exclude including Baku and Cassius.

At center, I'm taking Lord Raiden--he's been a fixture for Baltimore and was the one guy who wanted to stick around through the rebuild. Now, as our young guys are taking steps forward, he's gotten to step back into a smaller role, but is still a legend for Baltimore, breaking/setting almost every franchise record.

While we don't get along, I can't leave out Monkey D. Luffy: he's one of the greatest forwards in SHL history and a total clutch playoff performer. Absolutely gotta have him on the wing. Finally, i feel like it has to be Bo Kane. He was another Colorado player who landed on SEA in expansion and put up some very strong seasons for those early Argonaut groups. A link of Kane-Raiden-Luffy would be DEADLY.

On defense, it's hard not to give flowers to Eric Vanderberg and Tatu Makela. Tatu was Darrow's partner during the years he was in his peak with Buffalo, and Vandy was a solid depth piece on those same Stampede squads as well as Darrow's partner for a good chunk during his Colorado days. An honorable mention has to go to Darrow's final partner during his Seattle run; Dee Centerman IV. They were a really solid pair for the team. Ultimately, I will probably go Centerman-Vanderberg, though Makela was unquestionably a better player than Vandy.

As for D&D, I was just telling Corey and Jess the other day: it's GOING TO HAPPEN. I haven't forgotten; life's just been complicated for multiple people. You'll get your game, I promise.

10-22-2023, 12:17 PMhockeyfan Wrote: Are you still looking for a job?
LMAO great question. No, actually, I've had 4 different jobs since then and am currently very happy with my current role (finally).

10-22-2023, 02:50 PMWildfireMicro Wrote: 1. What is your favorite Pokemon?

2. Do you have a favorite video game?

3. How proud have you been of Baltimore's growth since the rebuilding period started?

4. Dogs or cats?
1. My favorite Pokemon is up for debate--I tend to lean toward water and steel types when I think of some of my favorites. Squirtle/Blastoise, Piplup, Skarmory, and Corviknight are up there. I adore Blaziken, and will forever pick Torchic for gen 3. I'd probably go with Blastoise right now, but if I got to pick 2 to join my in real life I feel like Piplup and Skarmory might be the combo I pick.

2. I am Fire Emblem trash, forever and always. I've probably put close to 800 hours into various FE titles across just the Switch titles. I think there's only two North American release in the series since 2003 I haven't gotten to play at this point, and one of those is the bad port of FE Shadow Dragon that was a limited release on the Switch. QOL was just too much for me to devote to playing. I have finished at least one playthrough of 12 other titles, and multiple playthroughs of 5 of those.

3. Quite! It took work and time, but I think we have a solid group at this point. Very proud of how far things have come since I took over the team, including a 100% change of the war room and an almost 100% turnover of the roster.

4. I appreciate both, but would always prefer to have a dog to a cat.

10-22-2023, 02:58 PMNYR73 Wrote: Favorite NHL team other than Columbus?

How have you enjoyed gming in the SHL compared to the J?
Seattle Kraken. In various classes since 2008, I put together 2-3 projects pitching an NHL expansion in Seattle. I saw it as a missing cog in the NHL's footprint and a fanbase that saw a beloved basketball team stolen in the night (fuck you, Clay Bennett). Now one of my favorite NHLers (Oliver Bjorkstrand) is on the team too? Easy pick for my Western team.

I said for YEARS I would never GM in the SHL for a myriad of reasons. It's funny to look back now and realize I think I've GMed longer in the SHL than I did the J. I was shocked to just see this is my 10th season GMing Baltimore! It's hard to compare the two stints, as most of my J tenure was in STHS, and then the very first FHM season. SHL GMing feels less stressful, if only for the building elements. SMJHL GMing is so hard because your roster is turning over constantly, and you need to build a really strong war room to even have a chance to sustainably scout and build a culture. You also can be at the mercy of less considerate (sometimes flat out asshole) SHL GMs that couldn't care less about working together with their J colleagues. The hardest part remains not being/having an FHM expert to help with coaching.

10-23-2023, 09:49 PMScrufdaddy Wrote: No question, just cheers Cheers
Thanks! Amazed Slip is still running circles out there. Respect!

10-24-2023, 12:29 AMyosh Wrote: Hey trips how do you get the beeg yoshi?
It's been years, and I'm still trying to figure it out. I've tried asking for it. I've tried buying the beeg yoshi. I went to the farthest corners of the world. The Mountains of Peru. The Strait of Gibraltar. The Grand Canyon. Lanny MacDonald's finely coiffed mustache. But nowhere, and I mean nowhere, has led me closer to finding the beeg yosh. I found small yosh. I found fat yosh. I even found a bendy yoshi (that might have just been a lead-paint coated Gumbee). But no beeg yoshi.

10-29-2023, 09:17 PMJumbobone19 Wrote: 1. Thanks for the shoutout. Been an absolute pleasure playing with you/playing for you as well!

2. Favorite SHL moment/memory so far?

3. What's favorite hobby outside of SHL? (My guess is reading)

4.  What's the something you are trying to accomplish with  Olubori that maybe didn't happen with Darrow? Or What's something you wish besides the obvious of winning it all?
1. Hell yeah! COL-BAP gang forever <3

2. That's so tricky! I mentioned before the in sim answer being that 3rd Challenge Cup. Outside of that, I've made some great friends through this site and I'm not sure I would have gotten through this ongoing pandemic world if not for SHL people. Seeing my hard work to build the war room culture in Colorado is also a major positive moment: so many people have come through that team and gone onto great stuff on our site!

3. Reading is definitely up there, but I also am currently in 3 regularly-occurring D&D campaigns, with a 4th TTRPG group in the works, and a charity one shot also TBA. Those two are definitely up there haha.

4. Welllll I wanted him to be the opposite of Darrow--goal scoring, hard hitting smack talker. I've gotten lazy in writing the media narrative, but even then the sim results have NOT reflected my aspirations. He's ended up more of a playmaker, which is never what I wanted for him. Now I'm putting my individual goals aside to help BAP win. Now that I'm at my peak TPE wise, I'm gonna get the points regardless. Instead, I hope to set our team up to be able to make some playoff runs, if not get that Challenge Cup that's evaded us for awhile. Beyond the Cup, I'd love to see Baku win a Jeff Dar as part of a complete team. It likely won't happen, but I can dream, eh?

11-05-2023, 10:08 AMTroy_McClure03 Wrote: Do you remember naming an award after me for Colorado?

How about when you named me capt. For life?

Just wondering.  Also congrats on 5 years
I do remember that, and I never regretted it for a second. You absolutely deserved the attention for your leadership before during and after my time in Colorado. Troy McClure III will live forever in Raptors infamy! Even if anyone had fought me in the war room about the choice, I was still gonna do it (instead I waited to have someone else decide if Darrow should be the team's ROTY award namesake.

I remember that as well, though I actually don't think that was me! I think that was an @39alaska39 choice, one that I 1000% supported and the comments in the locker room could never contradict, nope. Just ask Esso.

I'm thrilled you're back messaging up a storm in the rookie chat while I lurk in the shadows plotting my revenge next draft pick(s).

Code:
Ready for grading, pay me xoxo

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2023, 10:03 AM by MikeLiut. Edited 1 time in total.)

Congrats coach on your 5 years! What would you qualify as the best moment you had in the league so far?

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

Tush push or Brotherly Shove? What do you prefer?

Out of all of the players you've gotten to play with as Darrow and Olubori, who would be your all-star line/lineup?

When are we playing D&D?

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Are you still looking for a job?

updated to here Smile

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

What is your favorite Pokemon?

Do you have a favorite video game?

How proud have you been of Baltimore's growth since the rebuilding period started?

Dogs or cats?

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Favorite NHL team other than Columbus?

How have you enjoyed gming in the SHL compared to the J?

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

good to here Smile

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

No question, just cheers Cheers

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Hey trips how do you get the beeg yoshi?

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

1. Thanks for the shoutout. Been an absolute pleasure playing with you/playing for you as well!

2. Favorite SHL moment/memory so far?

3. What's favorite hobby outside of SHL? (My guess is reading)

4. What's the something you are trying to accomplish with Olubori that maybe didn't happen with Darrow? Or What's something you wish besides the obvious of winning it all?

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

updated to here! Thanks for all who dropped a few questions

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

10-22-2023, 09:13 AMhhh81 Wrote: Five years ago today, I was unemployed and desperately looking for a job. I swiped through Reddit and came across a post in r/bluejackets for this Simulation Hockey League thing. I skimmed over it and shrugged, then saw a name I knew from my HFBoards days, @WannabeFinn. I vaguely remembered the guy so I said, whatever, I'll make an account and see what it's about.

Here we are 5 years later; who would have thought I'd have done all the things I've done. So ask me questions! Make me muse about this weird experience I can't quit.

Question time!

That's super hard! There's been a few good ones. I'd have to say S55 was up there: Darrow had one of his best seasons on a really good Buffalo team, and was in the mix for a Stevens nom. We went on to win his third Challenge Cup, despite New Orleans' best attempts to brute-force break FHM in those finals, and then I got to join my good friend @notorioustig as the first player in Seattle Argonauts history. I'm hopeful we can make some good memories in Baltimore as your group continues to come into their own!

I have no idea what that means.

I just Googled it. Yeah, I don't care, I don't follow football (especially NFL Sick ).

For the first question, I'm going to shorten it to people that they specifically played with consistently as a linemate/partner, and exclude including Baku and Cassius.

At center, I'm taking Lord Raiden--he's been a fixture for Baltimore and was the one guy who wanted to stick around through the rebuild. Now, as our young guys are taking steps forward, he's gotten to step back into a smaller role, but is still a legend for Baltimore, breaking/setting almost every franchise record.

While we don't get along, I can't leave out Monkey D. Luffy: he's one of the greatest forwards in SHL history and a total clutch playoff performer. Absolutely gotta have him on the wing. Finally, i feel like it has to be Bo Kane. He was another Colorado player who landed on SEA in expansion and put up some very strong seasons for those early Argonaut groups. A link of Kane-Raiden-Luffy would be DEADLY.

On defense, it's hard not to give flowers to Eric Vanderberg and Tatu Makela. Tatu was Darrow's partner during the years he was in his peak with Buffalo, and Vandy was a solid depth piece on those same Stampede squads as well as Darrow's partner for a good chunk during his Colorado days. An honorable mention has to go to Darrow's final partner during his Seattle run; Dee Centerman IV. They were a really solid pair for the team. Ultimately, I will probably go Centerman-Vanderberg, though Makela was unquestionably a better player than Vandy.

As for D&D, I was just telling Corey and Jess the other day: it's GOING TO HAPPEN. I haven't forgotten; life's just been complicated for multiple people. You'll get your game, I promise.

LMAO great question. No, actually, I've had 4 different jobs since then and am currently very happy with my current role (finally).

1. My favorite Pokemon is up for debate--I tend to lean toward water and steel types when I think of some of my favorites. Squirtle/Blastoise, Piplup, Skarmory, and Corviknight are up there. I adore Blaziken, and will forever pick Torchic for gen 3. I'd probably go with Blastoise right now, but if I got to pick 2 to join my in real life I feel like Piplup and Skarmory might be the combo I pick.

2. I am Fire Emblem trash, forever and always. I've probably put close to 800 hours into various FE titles across just the Switch titles. I think there's only two North American release in the series since 2003 I haven't gotten to play at this point, and one of those is the bad port of FE Shadow Dragon that was a limited release on the Switch. QOL was just too much for me to devote to playing. I have finished at least one playthrough of 12 other titles, and multiple playthroughs of 5 of those.

3. Quite! It took work and time, but I think we have a solid group at this point. Very proud of how far things have come since I took over the team, including a 100% change of the war room and an almost 100% turnover of the roster.

4. I appreciate both, but would always prefer to have a dog to a cat.

Seattle Kraken. In various classes since 2008, I put together 2-3 projects pitching an NHL expansion in Seattle. I saw it as a missing cog in the NHL's footprint and a fanbase that saw a beloved basketball team stolen in the night (fuck you, Clay Bennett). Now one of my favorite NHLers (Oliver Bjorkstrand) is on the team too? Easy pick for my Western team.

I said for YEARS I would never GM in the SHL for a myriad of reasons. It's funny to look back now and realize I think I've GMed longer in the SHL than I did the J. I was shocked to just see this is my 10th season GMing Baltimore! It's hard to compare the two stints, as most of my J tenure was in STHS, and then the very first FHM season. SHL GMing feels less stressful, if only for the building elements. SMJHL GMing is so hard because your roster is turning over constantly, and you need to build a really strong war room to even have a chance to sustainably scout and build a culture. You also can be at the mercy of less considerate (sometimes flat out asshole) SHL GMs that couldn't care less about working together with their J colleagues. The hardest part remains not being/having an FHM expert to help with coaching.

Thanks! Amazed Slip is still running circles out there. Respect!

It's been years, and I'm still trying to figure it out. I've tried asking for it. I've tried buying the beeg yoshi. I went to the farthest corners of the world. The Mountains of Peru. The Strait of Gibraltar. The Grand Canyon. Lanny MacDonald's finely coiffed mustache. But nowhere, and I mean nowhere, has led me closer to finding the beeg yosh. I found small yosh. I found fat yosh. I even found a bendy yoshi (that might have just been a lead-paint coated Gumbee). But no beeg yoshi.

1. Hell yeah! COL-BAP gang forever <3

2. That's so tricky! I mentioned before the in sim answer being that 3rd Challenge Cup. Outside of that, I've made some great friends through this site and I'm not sure I would have gotten through this ongoing pandemic world if not for SHL people. Seeing my hard work to build the war room culture in Colorado is also a major positive moment: so many people have come through that team and gone onto great stuff on our site!

3. Reading is definitely up there, but I also am currently in 3 regularly-occurring D&D campaigns, with a 4th TTRPG group in the works, and a charity one shot also TBA. Those two are definitely up there haha.

4. Welllll I wanted him to be the opposite of Darrow--goal scoring, hard hitting smack talker. I've gotten lazy in writing the media narrative, but even then the sim results have NOT reflected my aspirations. He's ended up more of a playmaker, which is never what I wanted for him. Now I'm putting my individual goals aside to help BAP win. Now that I'm at my peak TPE wise, I'm gonna get the points regardless. Instead, I hope to set our team up to be able to make some playoff runs, if not get that Challenge Cup that's evaded us for awhile. Beyond the Cup, I'd love to see Baku win a Jeff Dar as part of a complete team. It likely won't happen, but I can dream, eh?

Code:
Not ready for grading

I appreciate you not tagging me alongside a Scotty Crawfling reference

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Do you remember naming an award after me for Colorado?

How about when you named me capt. For life?

Just wondering. Also congrats on 5 years

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!