Create Account

Allow unit tactics again

01-05-2024, 11:03 PMRAmenAmen Wrote: I think units before players, sure, but what's your reasoning? Is it just a matter of complexity, or is there another factor?
Learning curve, yeah, it really multiplies the number of things GMs, especially newer ones, have to deal with - the players alone have 120 different sliders to play with.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Honestly, as long as there is a way for people without FHM to understand and submit those tactics I think it’s fair!

I think the only stuff that should be banned is stuff non-FHM havers are unable to do(like testing)

And as long as each thing is explained I think it is fine, obviously we’d have to have someone with FHM write a quick summary but give someone a decent payday to do that I think it’s fair!

Thoughts?

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=6622170a&is=660fa20a&hm=2...height=655]
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2024, 02:33 PM by RomanesEuntDomus. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hasn't getting rid of some of those more in-depth tactical options given us exactly what we were hoping to achieve? We are currently in a postseason that finally has actual parity and unpredictability. Every Confernce-Semifinal series is competitive, with the lower-seeded teams currently leading in a bunch of them and we also had fewer super-lopsided series in the first round than we used to have. Similar trends have been visible in the past few seasons as well, the good teams are still strong and win most of the time, but they aren't virtually unbeatable for the middle-tier anymore. Isn't that exactly what we want? Why would we want to get rid of that now that we have finally created a league ecosystem where the big dogs don't just march through the regular season and much of the post-season until they finally run into each other?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Give me Unit tactics! Unit tactics actually allow teams to be unique and interesting. Unit tactics aren't that hard to understand but and allow players to be successful regardless( to some extent) of their build. Sure there is parity in the league but it's because everyone is running the same shit basically, with very little in terms actual difference. like if you want the league to be just be a random winner of generic grey every year let's continue without unit tactics. I agree doing player tactics would probably add way to much works for gms who are busy and are unnecessary but unit tactics are easy.

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

If we do this, Simmers, Fileworkers and HO are gonna need a raise for the extra check time this will create. Do we really wanna balloon the economy even more?

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

01-06-2024, 10:56 AMPapaSorin Wrote: If we do this, Simmers, Fileworkers and HO are gonna need a raise for the extra check time this will create. Do we really wanna balloon the economy even more?

I’m not ready to make a ruling on this one way or another but unit tactics get submitted the same way the rest of lines do. It wouldn’t impact the workload for any of those people if unit tactics were allowed, because those people wouldn’t be responsible for it unless they also have a coaching job elsewhere or something like that.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

The sliders aren't really hard to understand if you change the way they are looked at. I had to have someone explain it to me before it clicked.

Basically each tactical tendency slider has 5 positions. The default position is position 3, or "neutral". Think of this as like two way. Not too much, not too little.

If you go left to a 2 that's slightly conservative. Same with a 4, its slightly more liberal. 1's and 5's are the extremes of either "I absolutely DON'T want this to happen unless it has to" or "I want this to happen regardless"

I don't have a huge stake in this but as somebody relatively new, it did strike me as odd how a lot of the teams seemed to be running the same roles for their players as everybody else.

[Image: Skree.gif]

actual answer. Like RED said, the goal of reducing the amount of tactics you could do was 2 fold. One was that we had a real struggle for GM applications, as the learning curve of being a GM tactically was very high. Paired that with we had the top 4 teams basically be the only teams that could actually win because they had that knowledge to just roll over the mid teams in the playoffs time and time again. Pair that with less harsh regression, FHM6, individual tactics, team chemistry, etc,etc. They were the super teams in the league that felt that they were unbeaten until they faced up against another super team. So a good amount of changes were made in order to increase parity, and to create more diversity in the league becuase it has become stale seeing Hamilton, buffalo, chicago, texas be the only cup winners for 10 seasons in a row. ( https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=223 )

Changes were made like removing the individual sliders, unit tactics, harsher regression, no test simming, and switching to FHM8. And through one way or another, parity has increased a lot. instead of the top 4 teams. Now its the top 8/9/10 teams that can win it. Of course there are still super teams like Winnipeg or now Edmonton that seem like they can steamroll. And there are still issues. But we have seen over the past 9 seasons since, 8 unique cup winners. Which is a lot better than 4. It allows teams to come up and dominate, win a cup. Providing room for other teams to do the same.

As for allowing more creativity. I GUARANTEE that people will just continue to copy off of the teams that are good. Because thats what they did when we allowed unit tactics. It will just be the same copycat league that it has always been. Just with more slides to copy from.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

01-06-2024, 11:49 AMluke Wrote: actual answer. Like RED said, the goal of reducing the amount of tactics you could do was 2 fold. One was that we had a real struggle for GM applications, as the learning curve of being a GM tactically was very high. Paired that with we had the top 4 teams basically be the only teams that could actually win because they had that knowledge to just roll over the mid teams in the playoffs time and time again. Pair that with less harsh regression, FHM6, individual tactics, team chemistry, etc,etc. They were the super teams in the league that felt that they were unbeaten until they faced up against another super team. So a good amount of changes were made in order to increase parity, and to create more diversity in the league becuase it has become stale seeing Hamilton, buffalo, chicago, texas be the only cup winners for 10 seasons in a row. ( https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=223 )

Changes were made like removing the individual sliders, unit tactics, harsher regression, no test simming, and switching to FHM8. And through one way or another, parity has increased a lot. instead of the top 4 teams. Now its the top 8/9/10 teams that can win it. Of course there are still super teams like Winnipeg or now Edmonton that seem like they can steamroll. And there are still issues. But we have seen over the past 9 seasons since, 8 unique cup winners. Which is a lot better than 4. It allows teams to come up and dominate, win a cup. Providing room for other teams to do the same.

As for allowing more creativity. I GUARANTEE that people will just continue to copy off of the teams that are good. Because thats what they did when we allowed unit tactics. It will just be the same copycat league that it has always been. Just with more slides to copy from.

Incredibly common Luke W

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Lots of newer users that never experienced the s50s-60s in here lol

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

Give me my powers back <3

[Image: Wally.png]

01-06-2024, 12:54 PMKalakar Wrote: Lots of newer users that never experienced the s50s-60s in here lol

Still good to hear these opinions, even though I disagree with them.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

01-06-2024, 12:54 PMKalakar Wrote: Lots of newer users that never experienced the s50s-60s in here lol

Yeah they had lives outside of testing lol

[Image: Wally.png]

01-06-2024, 05:03 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Hasn't getting rid of some of those more in-depth tactical options given us exactly what we were hoping to achieve? We are currently in a postseason that finally has actual parity and unpredictability. Every Confernce-Semifinal series is competitive, with the lower-seeded teams currently leading in a bunch of them and we also had fewer super-lopsided series in the first round than we used to have. Similar trends have been visible in the past few seasons as well, the good teams are still strong and win most of the time, but they aren't virtually unbeatable for the middle-tier anymore. Isn't that exactly what we want? Why would we want to get rid of that now that we have finally created a league ecosystem where the big dogs just march through the regular season and much of the post-season until they finally run into each other?
This. We’re seeing a 6 seed steamroll through the playoffs, this is the kind of parity we’ve been looking for for years.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]