Create Account

x2 Draft media POV Brayden Point - various draft topics day before draft
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2024, 10:12 AM by No Goal. Edited 3 times in total.)

Hello all, 

Brayden Point here again this time I am talking about various topics within the up coming draft tomorrow. 

I want to dive in and discuss the importance of drafting offense before defense: 

Defense do not talk offense to this - Offensive players are nothing without the back line and as I have said time and time again as a center I am NOTHING without the players to the left, right, and behind me. The reason I say that offense>defense is that unless your defense is able to be 100% and block all the goals every game the opposing team will score a goal even with a 90%+ plus save percentage. Provided that the enemy team will score at least 1 goal a game vs. my team it is important to have someone that is able to score 2 goals for every 1 goal scored by the enemy. After all this is the goal of hockey to score more goals then the opponent. There is a strong case to having a solid defense and that is 1-0 wins games. I can say from watching NHL hockey that 88 (lightning goalie) helped to win the lightning a back to back cup win - still he could not do it all himself without the offense being able to score goals. By drafting the offense and building up your core attack first followed by padding with a solid defense you can create a team that will bring home the wins and ultimately the cup! Note: Drafting is not a one size fits all and rebuilding might take multiple seasons. There is a reason time and time again the top drafts and most known HOF are offensive players. The advise still carries over no matter the league build attack into defense and then build on it. 

Moving onto another topic - Who I see myself synergize with currently: 

I am making a case for being drafted with MattyJ and orAlexa Johansen. Both players play on the left wing and would make an excellent partnership with a center such as myself. I provide a shoutout to both players since I have bonded with them over the class S76 Discord locker room. I doubt we will end up on the same team though because all of us are super active and likely to be drafted early. If they are not on my team it will make a great rivalry store for Nothing But Net to cover in the future. This is not a bash on anybody else I have had the privilege of meeting a lot of players on the forum and across the server - if I am 100% I am having trouble keeping track of who is who (Forum names do not match player names which do not match discord names and of course different profile pictures). I can say with confidence this class has been active and awesome (at times our S76 discord is more active then the entire league discord which is crazy to think about.) I am sure I can work with anyone I just want to make sure players super active - mostly my team!! Are active and hungry to win. I have not interacted with anyone I do no not like which is saying something for a community this size. My one complaint is that no one wants to talk in VC for some reason and I do not get why - I am sure in due time or perhaps there are VC meetings in the team locker or in a paid role (such as head office) do not get me wrong here - I enjoy texting but talking adds another dynamic and I would like to get some players! 

Draft comments:

I do have some criticism with the way the draft is handled but part of this may be me getting a little salty. It is "common" knowledge of who is going to be first pick in the draft and they are a recreated player. My challenge is not weather it is deserved or not - I already stated that everyone here is awesome but in the manner the new draft class is handled. I feel like recreates should have to draft either separate or have some adding rules. I am not 100% on the details here but it does upset me a little bit that we as new skaters are over shadowed just because of an account date when we can be just as or even more active. More of a vent if anything I know I will be the best I can be but for anyone reading this perhaps in HO maybe this is worth considering for the future and if not I would like to understand the rationale of why - recreates have a proven track record, money, and connections that new players (unless recruited by someone) do not have that - something like this is much less an issue in the NHL but I understand this is the SHL and I respect the difference. I will say if rules stay the same I would 11/10 times draft a recreate over a new player without a proven track record so I am unable to fault others for doing the same action. My opinion is furthered by the fact that the SMJHL draft as I have been told is based on "vibes" since the TPE is mostly even. Perhaps requiring new players be drafted first and or holding a off cycle draft with the recreates being free agents - not 100% sure here but the draft must go on! These are my own comments and I stand by them but I do not hold grudges - I will HOF regardless and if I get passed up another team I was not meant to be there anyways. [/size][/color]

Wrapping up: 

I covered a lot today. I am excited to be here and excited no matter what happens. I know that much like the Harry Potter sorting hat I will end up on the team I am meant to end up on. I look forward to working with my new team, coach, and wish the other teams good luck (you are going to need it when we win the cup this season!) Be humble, Be hungry play hockey! May the draft be ever in your season draft class of S76!!!!! I will see everyone live in Las Vegas Sphere! [/size][/color]

(Word Count 1083 x2 draft media)

Falcons Hockey fan for life. I pack the heat and score the goals!   Barracuda

[Image: Point_Celly-13020730.gif] 

Hattricked:

I think the Leafs patented this strat

[Image: TheOPSquid.gif]

Quote:I do have some criticism with the way the draft is handled but part of this may be me getting a little salty. It is "common" knowledge of who is going to be first pick in the draft and they are a recreated player. My challenge is not weather it is deserved or not - I already stated that everyone here is awesome but in the manner the new draft class is handled. I feel like recreates should have to draft either separate or have some adding rules. I am not 100% on the details here but it does upset me a little bit that we as new skaters are over shadowed just because of an account date when we can be just as or even more active.

Worth noting - first gen players go 1OA and high in the draft class all the time, and it seems like there is a very high chance that a first gen goes 2OA in the J this year. This is just a unique year where a player (Flex) is so indelibly linked to Quebec City's culture since their founding that it would be a stunner for the two to not link up again. There really is no one trend where first-gens always go first or recreates always go first, so I don't think there's much of a need to specifically change anything with regards to that.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024, 10:12 PM by MikeLiut.)

Great article, @No Goal !  I agree with Boom here.  Drafting 1st gen in the first round - or 1st overall - is not uncommon at all. 1st gen players tend to stay longer in the J, bring a lot of new energy and are fun to bring in our LR. Some GMs prefer 1st gen to recreates - I know I would. Sometimes, a recreate is strongly linked to a franchise, and not drafting that member of our community with their first pick available would be a problem. I think this would be the case here.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

01-27-2024, 07:35 PMTheOPSquid Wrote: I think the Leafs patented this strat
Sport strategy is not a 1 size fits all approach - Not a fan of the NHL leafs though if that is what you are referring to!

Hattricked:

01-27-2024, 07:56 PMboom Wrote: Worth noting - first gen players go 1OA and high in the draft class all the time, and it seems like there is a very high chance that a first gen goes 2OA in the J this year. This is just a unique year where a player (Flex) is so indelibly linked to Quebec City's culture since their founding that it would be a stunner for the two to not link up again. There really is no one trend where first-gens always go first or recreates always go first, so I don't think there's much of a need to specifically change anything with regards to that.
Hey Boom thank you for the comment! I can respect that opinion my comment is based on 1 season and what I am seeing. I also understand that none of this is set in stone until the draft happens. It still is an interesting topic since this literally cannot happen in real life - but this is a hockey sim league and players want to or have to retire (otherwise there would be players with like a million TPE by now) perhaps my comments will change after a few seasons or maybe even at the draft. No hard feelings from me just my opinion I think this community is awesome overall!

Hattricked:

edited your post so us Dark Mode users can read haha. Good thoughts on stuff. Not much involved in the SMJHL to really comment on that stuff. Good luck wherever you get drafted. People draft recreates mostly because #1: security in knowing they alrady made a player before so less likely to go IA. Or #2 is that they want to go to a specific team and those teams will want to draft those players

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024, 10:48 PM by No Goal.)

01-27-2024, 10:11 PMMikeLiut Wrote: Great article, @No Goal !  I agree with Boom here.  Drafting 1st gen in the first round - or 1st overall - is not uncommon at all. 1st gen players tend to stay longer in the J, bring a lot of new energy and are fun to bring in our LR. Some GMs prefer 1st gen to recreates - I know I would. Sometimes, a recreate is strongly linked to a franchise, and not drafting that member of our community with their first pick available would be a problem. I think this would be the case here.
Hey MikeLiut I respect both you and Boom's opinion. Thank you for the compliment I am enjoying making these posts! I still hold my opinion but perhaps it will change over a few seasons and perhaps even on this draft day upcoming. Your comment of being a problem hits what I am talking about on the head. In the NHL you cannot make a well known recreate - a player retires MAYBE they have a kid or something who plays but that is a different person entirely (closer to a referral vs. a "recreate") I do not think it is the end of the world and glad to here this season is a one off and this is not the norm.  I might admittedly be a tiny bit bias since this is during my draft. I am not going to let it change how I play. Where I end up is just part of the HOF journey. Cheers!

Hattricked:

01-27-2024, 10:45 PMluke Wrote: edited your post so us Dark Mode users can read haha. Good thoughts on stuff. Not much involved in the SMJHL to really comment on that stuff. Good luck wherever you get drafted. People draft recreates mostly because #1: security in knowing they alrady made a player before so less likely to go IA. Or #2 is that they want to go to a specific team and those teams will want to draft those players
Hey Luke, thanks for the comment. You just saved my eyes I switch over to dark mode (I was not aware this was an option here - Thank you!!) thanks for changing the format of the post to fit us dark mode users. I agree that there is additional security with a recreate but just like there can be NHL problems that gives me the vibe of what I mentioned - I can be or a new draftee can be  MORE active in fact I would argue that I am currently more active than most users I also do not have a 100 M + bank account. Anyways though I respect everyone's opinions here and appreciate your compliment! Glad we are able to have a healthy discourse - speaks volumes about this community!

Hattricked: