Create Account

S75 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP Due: Monday, March 11th at 11:59PM PST

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP as decided by the Awards Committee is the most coveted individual award in the juniors league. Who is on track to win it this season?
Written Task: Which players are in the running for league MVP? (150 words min.)
Graphic Task: Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders. Must include team logos and renders.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S75 SMJHL Rookies (S76 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT. NOT S77 DFAs
Link PBE, ISFL or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
TPE will be added to the portal.
Deadline: Monday, March 11th @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 08:16 AM by sve7en. Edited 1 time in total.)

Can I get a PT pass on this one for being awards head?

No?

Betzee fuckin Nickelback.

End of story.

Hard carried the Kraken while I messed with tactical options, gapped the team in scoring, was 2x ppg until I flew too close to the sun with FHM. You take any other player in the league and put them in her spot and the team would struggle offensively and defensively, but if you replaced any top forward in the league with her that team would get better. There's no doubt in my mind that she's the most impactful, valuable, and game changing player in the SMJHL this season, and I think the only one that even gets within range of her is Morrow from Vancouver, but the difference between their complete games is enough to dispel that possible comparison. Betzee should walk away with the Lindsay and Fallah this season.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

There's a few players in the running for the MVP award, the most notable ones being Lily Jin Morrow and Froya Solberg, but Froya is far ahead of the pack in terms of actual credentials and it shouldn't be close.

Froya led the league this year in goals, assists, points, and plus minus, was tied for the most power play goals this season, had the 4th best shooting percentage (meaning her league leading goals weren't just because she shot the puck significantly more than anyone else), and even had decent defensive stats, such as a .8 TA/GA, for a forward focused strongly on offense to the point of neglecting defense. In addition to all of this, Froya's season assists tally of seventy-one set the all time record for assists in a single season by a player, and then she did the exact same thing with her points total, meaning she broke two all time J records, en route to being the best forward in the league by almost every offensive counting stat.

In the end, all you really have to ask yourself is, 'what player would most improve any team in the league, if they were to change teams', and the answer to that is Froya Solberg.

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]

If the MVP award is just for scoring than clearly the front runners would be the Solberg twins.  Leading the league as #1 and #2 scorers, Froya with 127 points and Sonja with 104.  Only one other player broke 100 points, and only just. Shadow Fenix with 101.  

If the MVP award is for the player most valuable to their team, I would go with Red Panda from Regina, pacing the team with 89 points and helping push Regina into a playoff spot. Next highest on the team was 67 points, so Panda went above and beyond in carrying the team. 

If MVP would be for a defensive performance, Brooklyn Physt should surely be a name on some lists.  Leading all defenseman in Points/Goals/Assists and notching 3 short handed goals, while only collecting 38 PIM and a +39 rating.  With 119 hits, Physt throws the body around but plays clean and doesn't hang his goalie out to dry.

[Image: hudson.png]

I think the top contenders for MVP should be the players who lead their team in points and also have the biggest percentage increase over their next teammate. There's a pretty clear top 3 that stand above the rest of the league for these metrics.

Froya Solberg is the first obvious candidate for this metric. She had 127 points for QCC this season which led the entire league and also her next closest teammate by 23 points. This is also the highest flat point increase from teammate to teammate. The percentage increase is an impressive 22.1%, but it's not the highest percentage increase on this list.

Red Panda is the next choice with an impressive 89 points, tied for 10th in the league. What sets Red Panda apart though is their gap of 22 points to their next teammate. This is an insane increase of 32.8%, more than 10% greater than Solberg. This means Panda played a larger part in carrying Regina and their absence would've caused the team to perform much worse.

Betzee Nickelback is also tied for 10th in the league with 89 points, but sits 3rd on the list for the metrics we're looking at today with a 15 point increase to her nearest teammate and a respectable 20.3% increase over her nearest teammate. Since both Solberg and Panda have better metrics across the board I'd say Nickelback is solid nominee, but not a true contender for the trophy compared to the other two.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

When looking at MVP candidates this season, I think there’s three strong choices, one that plays each position. First is Froya Solberg, the likely current favorite for MVP with an outstanding 127 points. Froya led the league in both goals and assists, and while the Citadelles would likely have played well without Froya, the impact of playing at nearly a 2 point per game pace can’t be understated. Next is Brooklyn Physt of the Raptors. Finishing at just under a point per game as a defensemen is no small feat, and Physt’s presence on the D-line was instrumental to Colorado’s success. Physt also had 113 blocks and 119 hits, showing they were an elite two way defensemen. The final candidate is Anastasia Soderstrom, goalie for Detroit. While Song Ju-gong had better numbers, they also had plenty of goal support in front of them in Quebec. While Detroit was not a bad team, it was a harder road for Soderstrom, and a .910 as a rookie goalie in the SMJHL is incredible. While she likely won’t win MVP, look for Soderstrom to win rookie of the year.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

If I had to choose 3 MVP candidates for this year's SMJHL I would pick Froya Solberg, Sonja Solberg and Shadow Fenix. This may seem like a cop out as these are the top three leading scorers in the league, but doesn't that say something in itself? For me point scoring is the most important thing when it comes to being an MVP. I definitely think that a player who puts up lots of points on a bad team is more deserving of MVP than a player who puts up the same number of points on a stacked team. But when you're as good as Froya and record over 20 points more than anyone else in the league, it doesn't matter how stacked your team was. With this at the forefront of thought I would rank these 3 players as so-

MVP- Froya Solberg
Runner Up- Shadow Fenix
Honorable mention- Sonja Solberg

The MVP award this season might be a bit tighter then some expect it, as many people would towards Froya Solberg, who rightfully so had a great season, but they were also supported greatly by their teammate Sonja Solberg. Talk about a dynamic duo! Froya Solberg finished the season accumulating 127 points for QCC, with a significant 23-point lead over her nearest teammate Sonja which is equal to a 22.1% increase. Now when you look at the next candidate Red Panda these numbers for the % gap get even more impressive, but on a lesser point season with a team that scored much less. Red Panda follows finished the season with 89 points, tying for 10th place in the league. However, it was a remarkable 32.8% increase over the next teammate. The third person on my list is Betzee Nickelback who also finished with 89 points, but a smaller point share of only 20% which is still truly good, but less the Solberg, and much less then Red Panda. My vote would be for Solberg for the impressive season, but Red Panda did a lot of good work.

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

SSL affiliate

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

[Image: ADRtB9f.png]

@Pyro182 @kahri

[Image: jovera.gif]

[Image: tZH05l4.png]

I think of this award in a different manner than others have posted. Coveted is most sought after - people in year 4 have to move onto the SHL league and while they may be sought after in that league they are already drafted a few seasons ago. I would nominate as follows:   (I will briefly say myself BUT I think the others listed below are quite frankly more sought after so in the interest of this post I will focus on the 2 below) 

Alexa Johansen - SMHJL intern. One of the most active and helpful rookies in S76. Alexa will go far as long as they continue to be active and open. Someone I want to have on my team. 

MattyJ - Another very active and determined rookie. MattyJ is a rival and friend of mine on the server. He is someone that I would like to have on my team. 

These rookies have a bright future in the junior league and other teams should do what they can to trade for them if able. Having a high score is great but if you are leaving the league then it would make you less sought after due to the rules of the game -  what made me look into rookies is the future and the word coveted.

Falcons Hockey fan for life. I pack the heat and score the goals!   Barracuda

[Image: Point_Celly-13020730.gif] 

Hattricked:

Looking at this year's leaders in major categories in the SMJHL, it becomes extremely obvious that one of the best teams in the league was the Quebec City Citadelles, and it wasnt super close either, clinching the league lead by the end of the season with 105 points, beating out the runner-up, Maine, by 11 points. The leader in goals, points, assists and plus-minus was phenom Froya Solberg. I don't think its a massive reach to say Froya has clinched the MVP award no matter how Quebec City performs in the playoffs, but which player was most valuable to their team as a whole? Lily Jin Morrow stands out to me putting up 45 goals on a Vancouver team that was a bottom feeder to say the least this season, as well as leading the league in goals so far in the playoffs, with teammates Robo Sven and GM's Son leading the playoffs in assists and points respectively, a twist nobody could have seen coming.

[Image: t0DZX3k]

I see three players as the frontrunners for the Ideen Fallah Trophy- Froya Solberg, Brooklyn Physt, and Shotty McStopper.

Each player has shown dominance in their position, especially Froya Solberg. She has been a force to be reckoned with as a center for the Citadelles, scoring an impressive 56 goals. Brooklyn Physt has been a rock for the Raptors, and despite playing on the blue line, Physt managed to tally 21 goals and 44 assists. As good of a season you could have for a defenseman. Shotty McStopper has been a brick wall in the net for the Maine Timber. With 35 wins, including 5 shutouts, McStopper has been a big reason for Maine’s success this season.

All in all you have a mix of really strong players who had great seasons, so the question as to who will take home the trophy is a hard one. I think it's easy to lean toward Froya, but my love for the positions of D and G force me to consider the rest. I don't think there is a wrong answer among them!

[Image: p82ugau.png]

Froya Solberg looks to be the SMJHL's clear cut MVP. Its hard to argue that in any world they wouldn't be! Froya leads the league in goals 56 and assists with 71, has 127 points and a league leading plus 59. So yes they own sole position of basically all the important offensive stats. This season has been such a great success for Solberg that one might argue they are the sole reason Quebec finished so strong on the season. Of course it take more then one player to win a league title and have as strong as a season as Quebec had but one can only imagine how QCC would have ended the year with out the help of Solberg. Froya ended the year with 23 points more then their teammate Sonja Solberg and 26 points more then the third place scorer Shadow Fenix. The Solberg's put on a show this year but Froya was on a whole different level of play and thats why their the easy MVP.

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

Froya Solberg is killing it on the ice and deserves that league MVP title! I mean, check out her stats: she's scored a whopping 56 goals, more than anyone else in the league. And it's not just about scoring goals – she's also a master at setting up her teammates with 71 assists, leading the league in that department too. With a total of 127 points, she's basically dominating the game. But what's even better is that she's not just about offense; her plus-minus rating of 59 shows she's solid on defense too. She is the best player on the best team, a great spot for the league mvp.

Besides Froya, which I think is the runaway favorite, there are a few other candidates. 
Honorable Mentions are Sonya Solberg, Sabage Cabage, Bog Damsel, Demir Bellona, or Sung Ju-gong

My vote would be Froya Solberg, but all of these players are deserving in their own right.

[Image: mattyj.png]