Create Account

S76 PT #4: Changing Stripes Due: Sunday, May 5th @ 11:59 PM PST

PBE affiliate

[Image: lZacrUG.png]

As someone who feels extremely qualified to speak on the standard of officiating in the SHL and in general, given that I worked in the AHL as a linesman, I think there are a few things that stand out to me in terms of what makes a good official. One of the top things on my list is something that I like to think most fans and players would be in favor of: consistency. While it can be easy to disagree with an official on how they call things or what decisions they make, if an official is consistent in what they call as penalties, as well as what they let go, from the first minute to the last minute, regardless of score, that is going to be an excellent official. In the NHL currently, TJ Luxmore is one of the best officials in my opinion because I both agree with what he calls and doesn’t call (generally), and I find that he tends to be consistent from game to game with how calls things. Thus, consistency.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

P2: A good hockey referee possesses several key qualities, including a strong knowledge of the rules, excellent communication skills, impartiality, decisiveness, and the ability to remain calm under pressure. They must also have good skating ability to keep up with the fast-paced action on the ice.

As for the referees in our league, it would depend on various factors such as their experience, training, and consistency in applying the rules. Without specific information about the league and its referees, it's challenging to make a definitive assessment.

Improving officiating in any hockey league could involve several strategies. One approach could be to provide ongoing training and development opportunities for referees to ensure they stay up-to-date with rule changes and best practices. Additionally, implementing video review technology in certain situations could help reduce errors and improve the accuracy of calls. Moreover, promoting transparency and accountability in the officiating process, such as by allowing coaches and players to provide feedback on referees' performance, could also lead to improvements in officiating quality and fairness.

[Image: gurbs.gif]

Prompt #2

One of the incredible things about the referees in this league is that despite no matter the time that has passed, it seems like that they continue to show up for every game. It's so strange, the same referees that were at the start of Minamino's career have still continued to show up for every game night and night out. It's almost as if they're robotic and that nothing ever gets in the way of them showing up for the games. If anything, it's strange because even in on the ice, the interactions always seem to be so played out repeatedly in the same fashion that most players in the league don't really bother to do more than moan at a call here or there. If anything it's hard to remember the names of each refs because the consistency in how calls are made across the league have generally felt like that it's one collective brain.

There would be good games and bad games still by the refs but in the end it just feels like a general entity which watches over all the games.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

If Canada were to stop existing one day, I wouldn't really care too much about choosing a different hockey federation. If I had to have a preference, I'd probably play for Sweden or Russia. No particular affinity for either of the aforementioned countries, minus both of them having fantastic visual identities and fun languages (I have a buddy that's learning Russian at the moment, shoutouts 2 Janis!). I have a general apathy towards nationalism, although maybe that would be different if I were brought up in another place. Canada is a hilariously fake country. Take the United States and neuter pretty much everything interesting about them and infuse a weirdly undeserved superiority complex for being a slightly blander shade of the same bullshit. Insanely cucked people. You can tell just from looking at the combined cultural output of the entire country that they were founded by a literal corporation. Unserious place. Fuck Canada.

Option 1:

If Matiss had to leave his IIHF team of Latvia, he would choose to go and play for Team USA. Matiss would play for Team USA due to having dual citizenship with Latvia and the USA. Team USA usually puts up a good showing during the IIHF tournament and being able to help lead them to a medal would be something that Matiss would be lucky to be a part of. Playing in the SHL with New England Matiss has been able to see the crowds that would represent Team USA and knowing what they bring to the games in New England he could notimagine what it would be like on the international level. Also Team USA has a couple people on their roster that Matiss has played with before so joining the locker room would be fun and easy. Being able to still represent his country is something that would be really important for Matiss to want to do so if it was not Latvia it would definitely be Team USA.

Prompt 1

Patya not really sure for have one answer for this question. Patya see many reasons for leave independent Russia, because of much controversy over actions of Russian government. Patya would be willing for play for great many number of nations. Patya could play for United States or Canada or Sweden or Japan or Germany or Finland or Ireland or Norway or anywhere really. Patya knowing so many good peoples in SHL that Patya really could go anywhere, but would probably pick somewhere strong for best chance of winning much golden medals. Patya would definitely not outright refuse for play in IIHF tournament if could not play for Russia because Patya have very much good understanding of global politics because even though Patya have bad English, Patya many smarts. Patya would probably stick for nation closer to home just so friends and family could maybe get out of Russia for come see Patya play if they have opportunity. Maybe this also get them out of Russia for good. Truth is, Patya so much old now that not much time left, so Patya probably wait for defect after retiring.

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]

To be a good referee requires a very deep understanding of the game and its players, and is most certainly an extremely difficult job at the best of times. Where I feel the greatest room for improvement in terms of the officiating of hockey as a sport is less related to ability and more related to the objectives and motivations behind the referees. While any obvious bias is of course not great, the mindset of modern officiating and game management style refereeing is severely impacting the entertainment value of hockey as well as its intrinsic fairness. Narrowing down the number of acceptable calls in a game and ensuring that teams are called in service of equality rather than actual infractions committed is a cancer on the sport and allows teams with slower, less talented players to stay relevant simply by breaking rules constantly, with the confidence of knowing that unless they do something particularly egregious, they'll only receive 3-4 penalties that night (and likely receive as many powerplays even if the opponent does not commit as many infractions). It's bad so fix it

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

A good referee in hockey is very important to the league and to ensure that each game is called evenly and fair. I think that the refs in both the SMJHL and SHL do a good job of calling a fair game, however I think that some times there are too many pens called in a game. This can not only lead to higher scoring games but for games to also take a longer time which may reduce audience viewing if the games are too long. I think that the refs should let the players play a bit more aggressive. This can be said for both the SHL and SMJHL, however I think the SMJHL faces this the most and it should be looked on to improve because this is the future of the league and we do not want them to be ruined by refs that are calling too many pens.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Being a referee in hockey is a lot more about managing the game than it is in many other sports.  Refs are involved of course in calling penalties, but throughout a game refs are also jumping into player scrums to pull players apart.  Those moments are where refs can really influence the flow of a game with how they interact with players in those moments.  Even with that in mind though a good hockey ref is a lot like a good ref in other sports.  Someone that is hardly noticed in the flow of the game unless the players start to get out of hand between the whistles.  And to the second part of the prompt I think that the best way to improve officiating is to give the refs fewer things to look at and review.  If a ref is watching for 50 potential variables on a play each one of those things is something they can reasonably miss and piss off the players/fans.  Take some responsibility off of their plate and streamline the rulebook to see better and more consistent officiating.

In my time in Germany I have won 1 WJC Gold medal and 3 IIHF Gold medals and if I had switched to Germany sooner instead of playing for Team World I would have had 2 WJC Gold medals extra. Germany has been a good IIHF federation for me, but if I had to switch I would switch to a new IIHF federation called the Netherlands. I think we have enough players from the Netherlands to start an IIHF federation and start becoming a powerhouse in the world of SHL. I just do not know where to start though with a new federation, I guess first order would be to find enough players willing to make the switch to the Netherlands, but that might become a problem as most federations have a limit of who can leave etc. But there currently is no other federation I would rather play for than Germany at the moment.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Option 1:

Leaving Latvia would be insane to me, I picked it originally because it was a small fed who needed players, and stuck with it to my second player because I want to win a gold with them. I think if I had to choose a fed to go to my main choice would be Czechia. Roze played with 5 Czech defenders on the WJC team me and PyroAlpaca GMed, but the main reason I’d pick Czechia is because Troy is an amazing person and I would love to continue playing with him. I still am heartbroken Czechia left UCORCAL and made us UCORAL. If I had to pick a different fed though I would probably just go with the USA because I’m actually American so it would be cool to play for them. I don’t ever want to leave Latvia, until at least we win a gold. I will never play for Canada though. Fuck Canana(jk you guys are probably cool)

[Image: Rn4Vt1E.png]

What makes a good referee in hockey? How do you think the refs in our league do? Do you think you could improve officiating in this or any other hockey league by making any specific changes? If so, what?

I believe that a good referee in any sport is someone who as much as possible is consistent in their rulings. There's nothing more aggravating than having a ref call a certain penalty for one team and not call it for the other team . I understand that referees are human and that people unfortunately make mistakes, or may not see what goes on from behind the play, but consistency is the name of the game. There needs to be standards official throughout the entire league as well of course. If there were a lot stricter standards in upholding the hockey law, then there wouldn't be as many weird and interesting calls in the sport of hockey. As for if officiating is good in our little SHL league, I will say that I have never heard any complaints about the refs from anyone around the SHL, so I must believe that the refs in this game are pretty much nearly perfect. That's how that works right? Clearly that's the only thing that makes sense. If no one complains, then it is perfect.

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

Simmer PT pass

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Honestly I would love to leave my IIHF nation. @Tomen has done nothing but drag my player down since I joined Germany. Some of you might think that a return of 3 gold medals is good but when Rex was playing for Great Britain not only did he win four gold medals but he also managed to win best forward as well as best defenseman ranging across what might be the greatest international career of all time in the SHL. Meanwhile Red is stuck playing second fiddle behind Konstantin Selich who is little more than a fossilised dinosaur at this point and when he finally did step out of the way Tomen utilised one of the Winter family in the 1C position instead of Kirkby. This cannot be tolerated however there are few if any other IIHF teams that I would consider playing for. Perhaps if there was a New Zealand team I would play for my native country instead of this hellish German prison.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]