Create Account

S50 PT #3 - Aches & Pains

Having played in the SHL and juniors for 16 seasons now I have grown to have a lot of aches and pains in different parts. It changes depending on the season and the roles I tend to be in. This season I especially hurt in my legs and knees in particular. It is extremely difficult to continue skating at a high pace all the time and they will not let me take a cane on to the ice so I some times have to treat my stick like one. Back in my Calgary days though my back hurt more than anything else. Probably sore from carrying the Dragon's blue line to any kind of success but 2 cups did help ease that pain some. Now in my old age though it all hurts and unfortunately I am probably coming close to the end of my career. But I will one hundred percent sacrifice my knees and what ever other body part for one more cup before I go.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

In Russia pain does not exist. Ivan Maximus is to show up each and every day to practice and put up 110% with no excuses at all. Now in his second season in the J, he's not yet missed a game an only had a single fight in which he lost to another Russian. While he's never admitted to any pains, he has been seen drinking out of a special bottle while on the bench that is rumored to have vodka mixed with dissolved percocet. His teammates have vehemently denied that this is true, but it's a known cure all in Russian leagues and it would be extremely surprising if he wasn't medicating in some variety. He's also receiving regular massages from the training staff and is a frequent user of the ice bath after both practices and games. This is still a controversial method among sports therapists, but Ivan says it reminds him of Russia.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Lallo woke up this morning after a long night with a pain in his rear end. As he began walking he understood more and more what this pain was, Lallo had felt this pain in his ass before of course but he'd never been dumb enough to let it happen to him on a game day. He had worked hard to stay in shape all season and try to minimize any injuries that he would end up with but his dumb decisions from last night would mean that he might not be at 100% for tonight's game. Lallo made sure to get to the rink early so he could get some laps in before the morning skate in hopes that he could skate off the pain. While skating he realized that it was only feeling worse and at one point once the general morning skate had started, a trainer called him over asking if everything was ok. Lallo knew that he couldn't admit to being so irresponsible so he insisted that everything was ok and told himself that he'd just play through the pain for one game.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

PBE PT

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

There are many aches and pains that come with being a professional hockey player, like those in the Simluation Hockey League. For Nikolai Evans, that is no different, especially as a defenseman. He may not have the same physical game his Hall of Fame father, Zach Evans, possessed, but there is the extra wear and tear of shot-blocking and matching up with some of the premier scoring forwards in the world.

Naturally, there are “lower body” injuries as they often described in the hockey nomenclature. Sore legs, bruises up and down the shins and thighs. There is little time for the “R” in the often-discussed R.I.C.E method for healing such issues, but there are many ice baths and leg wraps when Nikolai isn’t on the ice to keep him as close to peak condition as possible.

There is also a constant pain in his neck, thanks to the presence of Anastasia O’Koivu. However, the only solution to that would be O’Koivu getting traded, which the training staff has no control over.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

There is a lot of pain in this body, demons too. The back gets tight, knee gets a little wobbly on Tuesdays. A lot has been going on lately, and there's been many games where I've had to go out there not feeling the best. It all starts adding up eventually. I've got some lingering aches and pains. Still, you have to fight through it and rise above the pain. If you're going to be around for a while, you have to play through injuries. It seems like we're full of ironmen though, injuries don't sideline us for some reason. That's why you're expected to play through stuff, but also play smart. Don't put yourself if positions where you are going to get destroyed. And then when you do get destroyed? Just have to own it and get ready for the next shift.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

What hurts? What helps you deal with the pain? Has it gotten worse over time? How have you been getting along with the training staff and what are they doing to help you out?

I have horrible shoulder pain from time to time, its probably due to the fact that I got just a huge ass honestly. My huge ass affects my posture which ends up hurting my shoulders you know. Its a real big problem for me, the only way i could fix this issue is a miracle, I mostly take CBD oil for the pain as it is better than oxy, or morphine or any other heavy duty pain killers. The training staff in Lethbrigde have been great with my problem with weekly physio and stuff like that. They give me things to do to fix my posture. they feel this pain has been an issue this season and has been a reason why I have been horrible this season but I am just saving my energy for my shl debut next season with the hamilton steelhawks. I will start playing better in the playoffs honestly this season.

Alexei hurt his right knee as a young lad when he decided to play a pickup game of soccer. It was a nice summer day in St. Petersburg and Alexei went in for an aggressive slide tackle unfortunately for him he overcommitted and tweaked the knee making it temporarily slide out of the socket for a second. Ever since then the knee will give him grief occasionally when a storm comes in or if he hits in just the right way. Most of the time Alexei forgets it is even an issue but when it crops up, he takes full advantage of the services of the Carolina training staff. Typically, Alexei gets a full body massage to help loosen himself up and then tends to alternate days between the sauna and an ice bath. The training staff and Alexei seem confident that surgery is not needed at the current point though at some point in his life a knee replacement is probably likely due to the wear and tear of the sport and an unfortunate summer afternoon.

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

As a young teenager Barry Batsbak was on a breakaway towards the opponents net and right as he wanted to deke past the goaltender a desperate defenseman put the blade of his stik underneath the blade of his skate and Barry had to make such a weird move that he tore a ligament in his knee this way. He had to get of the ice on a strecher. After 6 months of revalidation he was able to skate again. 

But this injury is haunting Barry to this day. His left knee was often sour so he started to favour his right leg more and more. Because of that his right leg has become longer than his left leg, which results in lower backpains at times. Barry has been dealing with it pretty well seeing a physical therapist on a regular basis together with the help of the Calgary Dragons medical staff. It's not bothering him all that often anymore, but when there's back to back games you will see Barry miss an optional skate once in a while to get more rest.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

NSFL PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Kane's been one of the lucky hockey players where injuries have never held him back. He's never had a major injury that required a long time out and he's never had small nagging injuries that could affect his play until this season. Kane's never been an aggressive player as he has relied heavily on his skill to carry his game. Don't get me wrong, he's never played a light game either because he has thrown the body around and will do so in certain moments, but he's never really been a fighter. That changed this season as Kane took some boxing classes in the off-season as he wanted to be able to protect the young guys coming into the league if needed. He's now had a total of 5 fights this year (3 in the pre-season and 2 in the regular season so far) and it's started to cause some pains in his hands. His goal scoring is down drastically this year which might be because of those pains.

Falcons Canada

EVERYTHING HURTS! I play a pretty blue collar game. Nothing fancy. I just go out there, take the body, block shots, and fight when I have to. It is truly a miracle that I haven't gotten injured badly enough to miss a game so far in my career. Even though I haven't missed a game I still spend a good amount of time each day recuperating in order to lace up the skates. Physically the ice baths help the most with getting the swelling down after a game and a regiment of hot yoga helps keep my muscles from tightening up too much. Mentally, having time with my family while I'm at home and playing some Mario Kart with the boys on the road helps to forget about any aches that are lingering. I hasn't gotten any worse, if anything it has gotten a little easier to deal with. I'm still pretty early on in my career. I'm sure in a few years it will be a different story.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

I have an old wrist injury from playing video games on the computer too much as a kid. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) was something I learned of from a young age, and something that gave me some trouble while playing hockey. Most of the time I find relief from smoking some weed, but during the hockey season that isn't always feasible. Whenever we get the chance to head up north to play one of the Canadian teams, it's obviously super easy to get your hands on some, and specifically a strain for pain relief, but most of the time during training I'm just using ice packs. Nowadays I don't really get to game much, except in the offseason, so it's been a lot easier to manage my CTS issues, and when you combined that with the world class trainers that we have in San Francisco, I hardly even think about the pain anymore.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Everything hurts. Just everything. Playing this much hockey for such an extended period of time will always hurt, especially if you're not used to it. Rocky herself isn't really that good on her skates in the first place, but when faced with the workload of even junior hockey she's just dead by the end of the day.

When out on the ice, you can still get yourself moving through pure adrenaline and willpower, but once Rocky gets home it's a completely different story. Her roommate usually has to help carry her from the door to her bed. You sleep, hoping that your body can heal itself overnight, but it just gets worse in the morning.

This sort of thing is probably something you get used to and can even train to develop a better resistance for, but for right now everything is in pain the moment Rocky steps off the ice.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

Playing way more minutes for the Hamilton Steelhawks than he deserves has given rookie Gabe Johnson his fair share of getting banged up. The 2nd overall pick from S48 only played around 20 minutes a game max in juniors for his whole 3 seasons with Anchorage, but now is finding himself playing over 22 a game on the Steelhawks top D-line. And this is against much harder and tougher opposition than in juniors as well. With only 13 points in 33 games, 3rd amongst rookie dmen and tied for 10th overall, Johnson has definitely been suffering from extreme fatigue as a result of the huge role he's been unexpected thrown into after his call-up. Johnson doesn't like to mix it up, and focuses way more on the technical side of the game than physical, which is why he only has 4 PIM and 20 hits this season, but in a league where physicality is crucial, this has made Johnson's life hard, and full of exhaustion, aches and bruises.

(173 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]