Create Account

Alexei Rykov: S52 Season Report and my love of the Kraken

(1,880 words and created chart. Ready to Grade)

S52 sees the end of Alexei Rykov’s time in the SMJHL and once again another review of how the season went and how it compares to previous seasons for Rykov. Rykov entered the season with high hopes and unfortunately found that the first line proved to be a tough grind and finding himself playing as a defenseman on the power play and penalty kill it lead to a much less impactful part of the game in those two aspects though still impressive numbers for the young forward playing out of position. In his senior and last year in the J Alexei managed only one top ten spot with it being 8th best scoring Left Wing. An impressive feat still but Alexei found that his impressive time on the power play in previous seasons was shored up by playing a much more defensive role in S52 to make up for a lack of Carolina depth with defensemen.
[Image: ZGJiqVS.png]

Alexei found himself with 19 goals this season the lowest he has scored since his freshman year at 12 even on assists Alexei found himself short again 25 the lowest since his freshman year though that was at a 12. A total of 44 points were scored again his lowest since S49 in which he put up 24. Plus/Minus was again lowest since his freshman debut at 15 compared to his freshman year of 11. Penalty minutes did see a positive trend downwards again the lowest since his freshman year with 16 total compared to the 6 he served in S49. Hits also were the lowest since freshman year at 42 compared to S49’s 29. Shots blocked were tied for last season at 9 compared to S50’s 12 and S49’s 7. Power play goals were at the all time lowest of his career at 2 compared to his freshman year which saw him net 5. Assists he found himself at least tie for S50 with 7 compared to S51 at 8 and S49 at 5. Alexei put in his lowest power play points in his career at 9 compared to his freshman year of 10. Game winning goals were also the lowest they had been since his freshman year with 2 compared to 1 in S49. Game tying goals were the lowest of his career at 1 compared to S49’s 2. Overall Alexei’s production was down and it was a mix of factors the biggest being his shift on the power play made it so that Alexei had a harder time generating goal scoring opportunities being out of position but still managed to at least create opportunities from the position which adds to the fact that he was about average compared to his sophomore and junior years in the J when you factor in the lower production for goals and that he would have been around his typical production if he had played in position combined with being on the first line this entire season it shows that Alexei in many ways has upped his game and has proven that he is able to adapt to out of position play and show flexibility in a more defensive role and that he is still able to produce that and his lower penalty minutes show perhaps a positive trend that Alexei is maturing and showing a much more even head especially compared to last season’s 28 penalty minutes he put up.

Overall Alexei leaves the J and Carolina on a positive note and his production was looking especially good during the playoffs though unfortunately for Carolina being swept ended the playoffs early for Alexei and the Kraken. Alexei does leave a massive mark on the Montreal/Carolina organization with his departure especially in the record books in which he proved that he was a great generational talent. Alexei is the second all time leader in goals for Carolina with a whopping 78 to his name just behind Michael Walker who has 86. Alexei is 2nd in all time points with 172 again just behind Michael Walker with 190. Alexei set the all-time record for plus/minus at a whopping 71 compared to Michael Walker in second with 65. Alexei was third in all time game winning goals at 13 just behind Daniel Daniil at 16. Alexei set the all-time record for Assists during the playoffs with 30 with Kristoffer Svensson at 29. Alexei was also third in single playoff assists with 16 behind Oliver Klozoff at 18. Alexei also set the all-time points record for the playoffs with 42 with Kristoffer Svensson just behind with 41. Alexei was also second in all-time plus/minus with 15 behind Kaspars Claude at 22. Alexei dominantly leaves his mark on Carolina and shows the organization and the Calgary Dragons that he is here to stay and be a dominant offensive force as he leaves his mark all over the record books and brings two Four Star Cups to his name it is evidence enough that Alexei is more than ready to prove his worth in the SHL and show that his dominant performances on the ice in the J are no fluke but merely the reverberations of a talented young Russian who is eager to prove that he can grind it out and outlast any opponent he faces.

Now to get real Carolina has been one of the greatest experiences I have had the pleasure of having here in the SHL. Fuzz, trella, and sloth not only made me feel welcome but they are easily the sole reasons I have stuck around at all in the league they always answered questions, were extremely positive, and just in general great to hang around and shoot the shit with. It has been a great honor to be brought in with the Carolina management and in general just enjoying. Honestly there is probably no better Management team in the J and maybe even the SHL. The locker room is just a great environment and it is probably the thing that has made it easy to get on each day and interact with everyone. A great bunch of guys with great senses of humor and just keep it rolling no matter whether it is going our way or not and it has been a hell of a lot of fun and winning two cups sure as hell didn’t hurt in the fun.

Phineas was always such a positive influence and brought a great sense of humor and was an amazing captain, so I look forward to smashing him into the boards in the SHL. Seriously though Phineas always took such a positive attitude and brought that to every play by play, and his captain announcements were legendary. It is sad to not see him around as much, but I do look forward to facing him on the ice.

Weston my battle brother! I’m looking forward to going to Calgary with you and it is going to be a hella amount of fun to keep rolling what we did in Carolina. Weston is a great guy with a hilarious sense of humor and a genuinely nice person who I have always enjoyed being around and I’m glad we can keep it going. Looking forward to being line mates and seeing what we can accomplish in FHM as well as continuing to work alongside each other in the Carolina Management. Overall, one of the best and most underrated personalities in the league.

Fitted you are the absolute heart and soul of the Carolina locker room. I will admit at first you popped up I was a bit overwhelmed you were a lot of personality but man you grew on me fast. You are one of the greatest gems in the SHL. Always positive, always happy, and you always have a great sense of humor not only about yourself but about life in general. I find you an absolute joy and I miss your drunken rants in the locker room it was always random and always hilarious to figure out when and what you were going to go on about. Any team that has you been in for a treat as you bring an enthusiasm and hilarity that is just infectious. Carolina absolutely would not have been the locker room it was without you.

Fiddler I have enjoyed you a lot as well. Always opinionated and you always bring an interesting perspective to everything. I especially enjoy the 40k references and overall, just going through so many seasons throughout the years. It has been an experience through these seasons, and it has been fun to do it with you. Kind of jealous you get to run off with Fitted but I look forward to playing against you guys in the next season and seeing how everything shakes loose.

To all the new Kraken like TDZ, Mook, Legend, sve7en, and Ace it has been a hella of a fun time the past few seasons and I look forward to seeing what you guys do with Carolina in the coming seasons. I have especially enjoyed TDZ as him and Fitted have made me like Penguins fans, he is a great guy with a hilarious sense of humor and genuinely great locker room presence even if he is busy with places like New Orleans. Mook also cracks me up especially with his emphasis on hitting and is definitely converting on the bodying people into the boards mentality he has and it seems it will be even more necessary in this shift to FHM so I definitely look forward to adopting a more aggressive style of play and I love his no frills attitude which is refreshing. Sve7en I’m excited to get to know you better on the management side and really have enjoyed all my interactions so far. You dive in headfirst and give it your all and wherever you end up in the draft that SHL team will benefit dramatically from it without a doubt.

I still want to reiterate my love of Fuzz, trella and sloth. There are times where I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue on especially early on but the involvement and positivity you guys encouraged in the locker room and being great people in general has made me absolutely love Carolina in ways I couldn’t even imagine. I’m still surprised how much I came to love the SHL and specifically Carolina it was a once in a lifetime experience and I’m glad to have had it with you guys. I have been putting off doing this media because I don’t want to acknowledge it is the end in some way even though I really need the dough. I’m glad I can continue with management because honestly there is something special about Carolina and I’m glad Fuzz and trella had the balls to go full speed ahead with it including the rebranding and reinvigorating the team. There is not a single gripe I can think of even if I was to be nitpicky I just love you guys and that goes for all my Kraken it is sad to move along but damn am I glad to have the experiences and even more glad to be continuing on because I truly believe in this organization.

FUCK THE PENALTYS TERRY BRADSHAWS GHOST WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

You’re gonna make me cry brotha. Rykov GOAT status in this franchise and the user behind him sure as hell isnt too shabby himself <3

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Such a fantastic player, one of the greatest to ever take the ice for the Militia and the Kraken. Getting to share a line with you in Calgary in the future is something I am thrilled about and cannot wait for. You've been an absolute stud since day one, one of the biggest steals in the history of the SMJHL. Thank you for choosing to share your skills with Montreal and Carolina, your impact here will forever be felt by your examples of leadership and excellence. Cheers, Rykov, to a great.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

FUCK THE PENALTYS TERRY BRADSHAWS GHOST WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

I fucking love you boys! Kraken Kraken Kraken

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

<3