Create Account

Is it time to talk about parity yet?
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 03:26 PM by notorioustig.)

04-14-2020, 02:59 PMst4rface Wrote: STHS is much better than FHM.

April's Clown of the Month is the most hotly contested one in awhile

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Let's not turn this into a Team X vs Team Y thing, this isnt what this is about at all.

You really need to put in hours to figure out (somewhat) optimal strategies for teams and it's been pretty telling what teams have optimized for their team compared to others

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

As someone on one of the good teams, I actually agree with RED. I think good teams should be rewarded and bad teams shouldn't, but the level of dominance shown by the top teams in the league will probably lead to problems down the line. Some people in the thread chalk it up to tactics and getting used to the game, and as the main tactics person for NEW, I don't think I'm some huge brain genius who figured out better tactics than everyone else and that's why we're winning. I also don't buy into the opinion that none of the worse teams spent time looking at tactics.

I think we should let things settle down for a season first before we shake things up too much, but we should potentially look into the update scale. Is it too friendly for superstars?

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Why don't we sim on NHL Hitz 03?

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

04-14-2020, 02:14 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:
04-14-2020, 02:12 PMnotorioustig Wrote: The league as a whole is constantly getting more knowledgeable about FHM, builds, etc. It's the first season, that gap will narrow pretty shortly. Will bad teams continue to be bad in FHM? Yes. But the mediocre teams will improve as game knowledge improves which will mean the standings outside a couple of bottomfeeders will be more competitive. It's a way more complex game than it used to be and there's a learning curve associated with that  Let's give it some time before we call it off as a failed experiment.

you're a failed expirement

haha i second this Smile)

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

04-14-2020, 04:12 PMTnlAstatine Wrote:
04-14-2020, 02:14 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: you're a failed expirement

haha i second this Smile)

Yeah well you smell

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 04:20 PM by ml002.)

04-14-2020, 03:51 PMgoldenglutes Wrote: As someone on one of the good teams, I actually agree with RED. I think good teams should be rewarded and bad teams shouldn't, but the level of dominance shown by the top teams in the league will probably lead to problems down the line. Some people in the thread chalk it up to tactics and getting used to the game, and as the main tactics person for NEW, I don't think I'm some huge brain genius who figured out better tactics than everyone else and that's why we're winning. I also don't buy into the opinion that none of the worse teams spent time looking at tactics.

I think we should let things settle down for a season first before we shake things up too much, but we should potentially look into the update scale. Is it too friendly for superstars?

i mean i havent spent a ton of time with tactics but I'm finding some things that help against the weaker teams. The problem is nothing I do against teams better than us matters. We cannot get the puck out of our zone against the elite teams at all. Idk if its a matter of making the scale easier on the lower TPE players or hardening it at the top, but I do think to some degree players coming out of the J need to be able to make an impact which right now idk how many can.

I don't want to tell players you have to stay down four seasons just to be competitive at the SHL level, plus that will put a whole other stress on the SMJHL cause its a development league. When max earners have to stay down four seasons just to be not useless I think that shows a bigger problem to come.

Edit: To be clear, I don't want rebuilding teams in the playoffs. As a GM of one who did it more than once, it's beyond frustrating for me to make the playoffs with a roster that is designed not to be. Currently I think the scale is just not forgiving to rebuilding teams as when the motivation is you have to get to 1k TPE to be not awful is going to hurt the league long term keep members.

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

6 teams per conference in the playoffs imo

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

04-14-2020, 04:25 PMMuerto Wrote: 6 teams per conference in the playoffs imo

this isnt an option sadly, its either 8 total or 16. There is the option to not make it assigned by conference and just based off total league standing but thats about it

I built the best goalie in the league and still don't have the best stats :( can we find a different sim engine other than sths and fhm

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

04-14-2020, 04:15 PMnotorioustig Wrote:
04-14-2020, 04:12 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: haha i second this Smile)

Yeah well you smell

its quarantine season, who showers?

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

04-14-2020, 04:28 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:
04-14-2020, 04:25 PMMuerto Wrote: 6 teams per conference in the playoffs imo

this isnt an option sadly, its either 8 total or 16. There is the option to not make it assigned by conference and just based off total league standing but thats about it

There is actually a 6 team option, like NFL style where top 2 get a bye, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5

It's not an option THIS season because it was set at 4 when it started and can't be changed, but it could be for the future. Although I know there's a faction which is strongly opposed to 'rewarding' teams by letting them get swept in the first round, but I still think more teams in playoffs is good for a sim league

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

I mean this league is a bit of a joke but I don't know if I would call it a parody yet

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

04-14-2020, 04:16 PMml002 Wrote:
04-14-2020, 03:51 PMgoldenglutes Wrote: As someone on one of the good teams, I actually agree with RED. I think good teams should be rewarded and bad teams shouldn't, but the level of dominance shown by the top teams in the league will probably lead to problems down the line. Some people in the thread chalk it up to tactics and getting used to the game, and as the main tactics person for NEW, I don't think I'm some huge brain genius who figured out better tactics than everyone else and that's why we're winning. I also don't buy into the opinion that none of the worse teams spent time looking at tactics.

i mean i havent spent a ton of time with tactics but I'm finding some things that help against the weaker teams. The problem is nothing I do against teams better than us matters. We cannot get the puck out of our zone against the elite teams at all. Idk if its a matter of making the scale easier on the lower TPE players or hardening it at the top, but I do think to some degree players coming out of the J need to be able to make an impact which right now idk how many can.

I don't want to tell players you have to stay down four seasons just to be competitive at the SHL level, plus that will put a whole other stress on the SMJHL cause its a development league. When max earners have to stay down four seasons just to be not useless I think that shows a bigger problem to come.

Edit: To be clear, I don't want rebuilding teams in the playoffs. As a GM of one who did it more than once, it's beyond frustrating for me to make the playoffs with a roster that is designed not to be. Currently I think the scale is just not forgiving to rebuilding teams as when the motivation is you have to get to 1k TPE to be not awful is going to hurt the league long term keep members.

From what I can make out, partially based on the answers in here, the main problem might not be a lack of elite players, but that the game is really punishing any lack of depth. In the STHS era you could get by with a couple of 500 TPE-players sprinkled throughout your roster and occasionally having one on the 2nd or 3rd line/pairing wouldn't kill you, but apparently that has changed with FHM. Tampa Bay probably is the prime example for this when looking at their defense.

Now you could argue that some teams foresaw this change and adapted to it and others didn't, which could be fair. But I would argue that even if GMs saw that problem and try to fix it, they very likely can't because the supply isn't there. There simply aren't enough mid-to-high TPE defensemen available for every team to have 5-6 of them. You can't simply sign/trade for them or bring them in through the draft because the first two options are super costly given the supply-demand situation, and the latter takes years and is far from a guarantee. So as it stands now, FHM is cementing the existing imbalances because the teams who are on the back foot right now have little to no ways of catching up. And being on the back foot is way more punishing in the moment as it used to be.

Now there are ways to fix this I think without going after the strong teams with things like cap-changes or a new update scale. Just spitballing here but one option for example would be the implementation of filler players, AI players with say around 600-800 TPE and a decent build that every team would get a handful or per position and that don't count against the cap. They wouldn't take a space from an active player or give you an advantage over other teams, but would ensure that teams without a lot of actives don't get absolutely shelled while at the same time depth is only available at a premium. But as I said, just spitballing here, this is basically just an example of the new and creative options we could look at.