Create Account

A View on the SHL
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2020, 08:59 PM by Durden.)

Hello SHL, Durden's back and critiquing everything!

Let's look at team locations, names, and logos/color schemes!

Baltimore Platoon -

When did they move from West Kendall? I know that no one knew where it was, but how did @Bojo approve this? This is insanity. At least the logo looks good. Nice and sharp.

Location - 0/10
Name - 3/10
Logo - 7/10

Overall - 3/10

Buffalo Stampede -

I'm from near Buffalo, so it will always hold a spot in my heart. I'm not sure how I feel about the Stampede name, or actually how I've ever felt about it. Kind of unoriginal from the basketball team. The nose looks odd, and makes it look like it's looking sideways, but it's mouth/nose/snout look like they're angled forward.

Location - 10/10
Name - 2/10
Logo - 3/10

Overall - 5/10

Chicago Syndicate -

Chicago just speaks of professional teams, but Syndicate? Are they all Goons? I guess it links up with the crime in Chicago, but it's not my personal favorite. The logo is alright. It accomplishes what it set out to do. But I think the hat needs to be down forward more. Might just be me, but I don't think of it as a hockey team, at all.

Location - 6/10
Name - 0/10
Logo - 4/10

Overall - 3/10

Hamilton Steelhawks -

Hamilton is whatever. I'm glad they finally got a hockey team. But Steelhawks? I still don't like the name. Too many birds in sports. The logo makes me want to like it, but it's not symmetrical, so it throws me off. Shield and beak are angular, but just... not right in the symmetry my brain craves.

Location - 4/10
Name - 2/10
Logo - 3/10

Overall - 3/10

Manhattan Rage -

It's hard to rate them honestly, as Manhattan was always a meme-team when I was here before. Manhattan has its ups and downs. I guess there's a lot of rage in NYC, so it works. The bull, the M and the skyscraper is a great touch.

Location - 7/10
Name - 2/10
Logo - 10/10

Overall - 6.5/10

New England Wolfpack -

I hate anything from NE. Wolfpack is a cool team name though. For the logo, I love the wolf itself. The stick just looks like it's bent, and has been overdone with the Sharks in the NHL. And it's a left handed stick. Boo. I also don't like having the team name and the city name. It should be one or the other.

Location - 0/10
Name - 8/10
Logo - 6/10

Overall - 5/10

Tampa Bay Barracuda -

Hockey shouldn't be played in the south. Marketing ploy, yadda yadda. Barracuda is different, getting away from the Sharks, etc. But another animal with its mouth on the left biting a stick? How original.
Location - 0/10
Name - 7/10
Logo - 5/10

Overall - 4/10

Toronto North Stars -

Toronto finally got a hockey team (lol). North Stars is a great name, but taking it from Minnesota and putting it on Toronto is a slap in the face. Ouch. The T also makes me think of Texas, not Toronto.

Location - 00/10
Name - 6/10
Logo - 0/10

Overall - 2/10

Calgary Dragons - I've always loved the look/feel of this team. Calgary is a great hockey city, Dragons are a cool name, and the logo is pretty damn good. I'm a sucker for red/gray/black/white. The only bad thing is that the dragon looks like it told you a corny joke and is waiting for you to laugh.

Location - 9/10
Name - 10/10
Logo - 8/10

Overall - 9/10

Edmonton Blizzard - Edmonton is a fine city. I don't like it or dislike it. The Blizzard is an alright name. We've seen natural disaster teams before. But the logo being a wolf? I won't ever connect a blizzard to a wolf. I get the tundra wolves, etc. But that's not where my brain wants to go.

Location - 5/10
Name - 4/10
Logo - 2/10

Overall - 3/10

Los Angeles Panthers - Los Angeles is a hard place to see hockey. To me, it seems like a location famous people would go to say that they went to a hockey game. Not a lot of loyalty, just showiness. The panthers' name in itself is whatever, but combined with the logo does really well. The combo is great.

Location - 4/10
Name - 4/10
Logo - 6/10

Overall - 4.5/10

Minnesota Chiefs - Minnesota is the classic place for hockey, outside of Canada. I definitely get the connection of Chiefs in Minnesota, but it's not the first or second thing I think of when I think of Minny. The colors are good, even if they're a bit Christmas-y. The logo is good. The face is a bit discolored in my opinion, but it is pretty solid.

Location - 10/10
Name - 4/10
Logo - 6/10

Overall - 6/10

New Orleans Specters - New Orleans isn't a hockey location. I get the appeal, but it's not meant for hockey. The Specter is a cool name and logo concept, and I get the connection to New Orleans. The logo is also great, with the fleur de lis in the background of it. I wish there was more contrast in the logo, especially in the face, and around the cloak. It just kinda melts into itself.

Location - 1/10
Name - 6/10
Logo - 7/10

Overall - 4.5/10

San Francisco Pride - San Fran doesn't scream hockey to me. I also don't see the connection between the name and the city. The logo is cool, as I love lions. I don't get the lion in the lion thing on the shoulder patches. It just looks like an anorexic lion to me, and the tail is SO LONG.

Location - 1/10
Name - 1/10
Logo - 6/10

Overall - 2.5/10

Texas Renegades - I'm biased, I suppose. But I truly do love almost everything about this team. Texas is whatever. It's huge and southern. I've said before, I'm not a fan of southern teams. But with Texas being huge, it needs a team. The Renegades is a cool name, and the logo matches it perfectly. The color scheme is great. I wish the whites didn't have the Texas flag colors, but that the alternates did. I love that the flag is in it though.

Location - 7/10
Name - 10/10
Logo - 9/10

Overall - 8.5/10

Winnipeg Jets - SHL OG. I'll do my best to not trash it. Winnipeg always needs a hockey team. Facts. I don't like the Jets name, but that's because I'm a Bills fan and can't deal with the JETES. The colors are great for the OG team, but the logo is super busy. There's just so much going on.

Location - 10/10
Name - 2/10
Logo - 2/10

Overall - 4.5/10

I'll say it again. I will play ANYWHERE. More to come in a future article.

Ranked 16 to 1

Toronto North Stars - Overall - 2/10
San Francisco Pride - Overall - 2.5/10
Baltimore Platoon - Overall - 3/10
Chicago Syndicate - Overall - 3/10
Edmonton Blizzard - Overall - 3/10
Hamilton Steelhawks - Overall - 3/10
Tampa Bay Barracuda - Overall - 4/10
New Orleans Specters - Overall - 4.5/10
Winnipeg Jets - Overall - 4.5/10
Buffalo Stampede - Overall - 5/10
New England Wolfpack - Overall - 5/10
Los Angeles Panthers - Overall - 6/10
Minnesota Chiefs - 6/10
Manhattan Rage - Overall - 6.5/10
Texas Renegades - Overall - 8.5/10
Calgary Dragons - Overall - 9/10

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

06-07-2020, 08:53 PMDurden Wrote: Hello SHL, Durden's back and critiquing everything!

Tampa Bay Barracuda

Hockey shouldn't be played in the south. Marketing ploy, yadda yadda. Barracuda is different, getting away from the Sharks, etc. But another animal with its mouth on the left biting a stick? How original. 
Location - 0/10

Texas Renegades - I'm biased, I suppose. But I truly do love almost everything about this team. Texas is whatever. It's huge and southern. I've said before, I'm not a fan of southern teams. But with Texas being huge, it needs a team. The Renegades is a cool name, and the logo matches it perfectly. The color scheme is great. I wish the whites didn't have the Texas flag colors, but that the alternates did. I love that the flag is in it though.
Location - 7/10

Confused

Anyway glad you're back. West Kendall Moved this season btw. So last offseason they announced it.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Texas is not a hockey place

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2020, 09:06 PM by Durden.)

06-07-2020, 08:55 PMluketd Wrote:
06-07-2020, 08:53 PMDurden Wrote: Hello SHL, Durden's back and critiquing everything!

Tampa Bay Barracuda

Location - 0/10

Location - 7/10

Confused

Anyway glad you're back. West Kendall Moved this season btw. So last offseason they announced it.

I know! I get the 'hypocrisy', but if there's any southern place that has to have hockey, it has to be Texas.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Renegades >>>>

04-18-2020, 01:58 PMnour Wrote: we received 2 complaints from Site Member @caltroit_red_flames about his site rep being brigaded

worst logo in shl gets 8/10 seems legit

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

Stampede best logo

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

06-07-2020, 09:51 PMNeonLime Wrote: worst logo in shl gets 8/10 seems legit

This list gets a silly/10

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

blizzard is an arctic fox

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

It isn't a wolf Cry

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Barracuda isnt really getting away from anything since they're irl the AHL team of the Sharks lol

[Image: lebbish.gif]