Create Account

Potential SHL Expansion, and Playoff Re-Structuring

Great OP, and I find the discussion it generated interesting.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Is there a way to set up a 12 team playoffs where the top two teams from a conference make it? Or to only have 1 division per conference?

[Image: 49775_s.png]
Thanks to Budgie and Carpy for the sigs!

Player || Updates

06-16-2020, 11:17 PMmdubz Wrote: Is there a way to set up a 12 team playoffs where the top two teams from a conference make it? Or to only have 1 division per conference?

I haven't messed with FHM in a few weeks but I'm pretty sure you can set up a league to be just two conferences/divisions. I've seen arguments against it because it would water down rivalries but I don't really buy that.

Not sure about your playoff question though.

Renegades  raiders  Finland

expansion?

screams in cacti

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

06-17-2020, 12:07 AMcrutch Wrote: expansion?

screams in cacti
[Image: Rn7A3ru.png]

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

06-17-2020, 12:07 AMcrutch Wrote: expansion?

screams in cacti

Its time. Finally.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

06-16-2020, 07:34 PMsve7en Wrote: Making regression isn't the answer imo. Spending 4 years in the J and then just 8-10 seasons in the SHL kinda sucks for those that want to have a longer career and aim for the hall of fame.

The problem is that you're spending 4 years in the J.

Back in my day the average J run was 2, maybe 3 seasons. Now people routinely spend 4 seasons there, and would spend 5 if it weren't for the waivers process forcing call ups.

Making regression harder and more brutal over time would take out the older players a bit faster, allowing the players in the J to make the jump up sooner. Again, I've been Joe K here for what will be 4 real life years, and while that was cool when our player base was significantly smaller, now that we're booming out here we need to make space for more players.

Of course, if we had 4th lines open, we'd be able to get players to the SHL faster.

I get people bitching about playing time but the truth is that when you're a fresh faced rookie you have to keep going hard and earning your playing time. That's part of the experience. So yeah, you might have a season or two working your way up the lineup. But with harsher regression, that path becomes easier.

I think the answer here is actually a little bit of everything.

Also, @tommysalami , i feel you on you the higher TPE minimums, but then we run into the whole "nobody really wants to leave their teams and friends they developed relationships with" thing and you're forcing them to do so. At some point the argument of how it ruins some people's experience comes into play. /shrug

Update Page
Player Page

06-17-2020, 09:54 AMJKortesi81 Wrote:
06-16-2020, 07:34 PMsve7en Wrote: Making regression isn't the answer imo. Spending 4 years in the J and then just 8-10 seasons in the SHL kinda sucks for those that want to have a longer career and aim for the hall of fame.

Back in my day the average J run was 2, maybe 3 seasons. Now people routinely spend 4 seasons there, and would spend 5 if it weren't for the waivers process forcing call ups.

Making regression harder and more brutal over time would take out the older players a bit faster, allowing the players in the J to make the jump up sooner. Again, I've been Joe K here for what will be 4 real life years, and while that was cool when our player base was significantly smaller, now that we're booming out here we need to make space for more players.

Of course, if we had 4th lines open, we'd be able to get players to the SHL faster.

I get people bitching about playing time but the truth is that when you're a fresh faced rookie you have to keep going hard and earning your playing time. That's part of the experience. So yeah, you might have a season or two working your way up the lineup. But with harsher regression, that path becomes easier.

Also, @tommysalami , i feel you on you the higher TPE minimums, but then we run into the whole "nobody really wants to leave their teams and friends they developed relationships with" thing and you're forcing them to do so. At some point the argument of how it ruins some people's experience comes into play. /shrug

On the other hand, if a group of friends can put together a team that no one, or only 1-2 other teams can beat then they're ruining the experience for the majority of the league to keep themselves happy.

I see your point for increased regression but that may just be cycling the problem. The amount of users and available spots to play stays the same.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

06-17-2020, 12:01 AMLeoben Wrote:
06-16-2020, 11:17 PMmdubz Wrote: Is there a way to set up a 12 team playoffs where the top two teams from a conference make it? Or to only have 1 division per conference?

I haven't messed with FHM in a few weeks but I'm pretty sure you can set up a league to be just two conferences/divisions.  I've seen arguments against it because it would water down rivalries but I don't really buy that.

The SMJHL has no in-conference divisions (though they will be added next season) so it’s possible.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

06-17-2020, 10:45 AMthecanadiancanuck Wrote:
06-17-2020, 12:01 AMLeoben Wrote: I haven't messed with FHM in a few weeks but I'm pretty sure you can set up a league to be just two conferences/divisions.  I've seen arguments against it because it would water down rivalries but I don't really buy that.

The SMJHL has no in-conference divisions (though they will be added next season) so it’s possible.

Wait, what? They're going to have 4 divisions of 3 teams?

Update Page
Player Page

06-17-2020, 09:54 AMJKortesi81 Wrote:

joe for some teams it is a problem and for some teams it's not. for example: bigger teams will have prospects stay down for four seasons to make sure they're ready, and even when they come up it's not like they're gonna play big minutes or anything (dependent on team of course). some players choose to stay down and others are kind of forced to because they won't be as effective and have their space blocked.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

06-17-2020, 11:06 AMJKortesi81 Wrote:
06-17-2020, 10:45 AMthecanadiancanuck Wrote: The SMJHL has no in-conference divisions (though they will be added next season) so it’s possible.

Wait, what? They're going to have 4 divisions of 3 teams?
I’m not sure if it’s confirmed but it’s an idea that has been tossed about. “Will” was probably a poor word choice but I think we discussed going to divisions for scheduling purposes, and I don’t think it affects the playoff format.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I fiddled with FHM 6 for a bit and the answer to the second question is yes. Think you can do that in any of OOTP's games as well. As for the playoffs, I wanna say no but I'll fiddle with it after class, gonna give a proper answer in a bit.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

06-17-2020, 02:04 PMThunfish Wrote:

I fiddled with FHM 6 for a bit and the answer to the second question is yes. Think you can do that in any of OOTP's games as well. As for the playoffs, I wanna say no but I'll fiddle with it after class, gonna give a proper answer in a bit.

Thanks. This seems to be the most logical solution if we do expand, at least in my opinion.

[Image: 49775_s.png]
Thanks to Budgie and Carpy for the sigs!

Player || Updates