Create Account

S54 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020, 07:12 PM by TheHockeyist.)

1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

Igor Volkov had a very chaotic season. He began his sixth season on the Chiefs hoping that things would improve for him and the team, but alas, it was not to be. After a struggling performance on the Chiefs, Igor grew increasingly dissatisfied. Eventually he snapped suddenly and decided in a very controversial move to relocate to the Wolfpack. Despite burning bridges with his old team, Igor was welcomed warmly into the Wolfpack. Although he was initially one of the worst players on the team given his build, he slowly improved. Being traded mid-season and having to adapt to a new team was difficult, unsurprisingly. Lots of stuff had to be unlearned and redone to fit in with the new culture and environment. In the end, it feels that things worked out for the better. Igor admits that he's very satisfied with where he ended up. He would not leave the Wolfpack for the world and intends to retire there.

2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Well, dang. Your team didn't make the finals this season - my condolences to you. Are you and your teammates planning on watching the finals even though you're not in it? If so, what are your watch parties like? If not, are you still following the finals or trying to ignore it completely? What are you and your teammates doing together (if anything) instead of following along? (if you're on Hamilton or New Orleans, or either of the 2 SMJHL teams that soon will be playing in the finals - congrats and sorry :p this one isn't for you!)

New England is rather bitter about the whole ordeal, which is surprising to Igor, who was traded from a team ranked near the bottom. In his mind, it could always be worse. New England was so close to participating in the last eight, but got knocked out just barely, I think ending up in ninth. Correct me if I'm wrong. Nonetheless, Igor decided to watch the Rage, and when they lost, he packed up his bags and went home. In the meantime, some other players were reportedly playing chess-inspired Monopoly. Whatever that is. Apparently it must have been to take their mind off of the finals, Igor thought. Whatever was going on, Igor reminded himself that at least his team had a shot at participating in the final eight. Maybe next season will be better, especially once he trains for the offseason. Actually, why not start training wight now? Igor enters the weight room.

3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
It has been publicized a decent amount on this site but Hamilton prospect Andrei Kostitsyn's brother Sergei appears to be missing. Does anybody know where Sergei? What have you done/what can you do to help Andrei track down his brother?

As a Russian citizen, Igor decided to help Andrei track down Sergei. Igor had contacted a certain branch of the Russian government earlier, who reported some data about Sergei Kostatitsyn. He appeared to be alive, but in the end, it was just someone with the same name, unrelated to Andrei. The next step would be to contact the Belarusian, Kazakhstani, and Kyrgyzstani governments, as those are probably the next most likely countries. It is also possible that Sergei could be dead. We'll exhaust every country and see what turns up. But for now, Sergei remains missing and never has been seen.

7. Written, 3 TPE
Write a sonnet about an SHL-related topic. Be sure to follow the proper ABAB-CDCD-EFEF-GG rhyme structure or your HS English (or equivalent any-language Writing teacher) will track you down and give you a failing grade.

The SHL was running out of room;
It needed to expand and get new teams.
If not, the league would surely meet its doom
And yet we thought it was the stuff of dreams.

Nevada and Quebec were now revealed,
Their logos - rather hideous I guess.
Yet this expansion one planet appealed.
They wanted to turn Earth into a mess.

The Martian Hockey Federation said,
"No more on Earth your league shall yet expand
And if you do, your species will be dead
And Martians us will rule over your land."

No more on Earth the SHL will stay
As Mars complains to the HO today.

8. Written (150 words min.) or Graphic, 3 TPE
With only one champion in the SHL and the SMJHL per season, that means the other 26 teams came up just a bit short (or a lot short). Team owners know that fans can get frustrated by shortcomings, so they're always trying to keep optimism high in the fan base. Written option: give an excerpt from an ousted team's owner's press conference at the end of the season focusing on the team's bright future or however they can keep fans' optimism high.

"What the hell. WHAT THE ABSOLUTE HELL?!?! HOW THE FREAKING HELL DO YOU LOSE ALL FIFTY GAMES?!?!?! THIS IS A DISGRACE. THAT'S IT. I'M SWITCHING MY FANBASE TO HAMILTON!!!! And good day to you, sir." The fans of Tampa Bay were furious. Attendance was going down for quite some time, but with the horrible record and the GM being fired, there are rumors that the team could fold next season. For their last game, they apparently only sold 8,652 tickets. Maybe 8,651. The exact number is disputed. No optimism is left for the team, and the fans know it. "You'd be better off playing on Mars! You'd at least score a goal there!" some angry ex-fan said. The Martian Federation of Hockey was delighted to hear this. Perhaps Tampa Bay will be forced to pack up and relocate to Mars. This would mean that Mars would be the first planet that the SHL has expanded to since S1. Negotiations with HO are reportedly underway as to the logistics of transporting the team to Mars.

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: Who?

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020, 10:04 AM by juke.)

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

I actually think that my player came up a little short this year. As my first (and last) 425 TPE season in the J, I expected a decent improvement from my 350 TPE year the season earlier. I did have a better than expected 350 season, so the bar was a little higher than it should've been, but Jukka couldn't meet that bar both offensively and defensively, falling short of last years totals in points, hits, SB, and takeaways. I'm not really sure what to attribute that to - despite the free redistribution last offseason, I didn't go crazy regarding changing my build. In fact, I didn't decrease my ratings in any attributes, just added more points to some, so I'm not sure where the decline was from. I even test simmed a bunch of different builds in the offseason to see which one I and the team did the best with. Maybe it's just one of those bad sim luck things, or maybe the roles/tactics/sliders ended up not being optimized for my specific build. In the end, the team had a great season (though fell short) and that's all that really matters, but I suspect I'll continue to test sim to find the best build for unbanking a few hundred TPE for next season.

3 TPE

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Well, dang. Your team didn't make the finals this season - my condolences to you. Are you and your teammates planning on watching the finals even though you're not in it? If so, what are your watch parties like? If not, are you still following the finals or trying to ignore it completely? What are you and your teammates doing together (if anything) instead of following along? (if you're on Hamilton or New Orleans, or either of the 2 SMJHL teams that soon will be playing in the finals - congrats and sorry :p this one isn't for you!)

Losing game 7 in the Eastern Conference finals by one goal was pretty crushing, especially after the great regular season we had put together, so there was absolutely no motivation to watch the finals from the guys on the team this past week. I'm pretty sure 90% of us didn't even know who was up on the series after any given game. This was the last shot at a four star cup for Potts and I before we graduate to the big leagues, so instead of following the finals, the focus was to just hang with the team and have a proper send off. We've been doing what we do best, drinking with each other, playing some games, and I've been making sure to get a strong campaign going for NL to get our numbers in the rafters. Instead of focusing on the finals, we've also been prepping for the upcoming international events, where I have the privilege of still playing with Potts, Tez, and Snu from NL on the WJC Finnish squad.

3 TPE

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
S54 IIHF Predictions - with one FHM IIHF season under our belt, we've got a bit more of a sense of how the tournament might play out in the new sim engine. What are your predictions for the S54 IIHF or WJC tournament - how do you think your team will fare this season? Who do you think are the biggest contenders to take home the hardware and why?

Like the last few seasons, I'll be playing on both the WJC and IIHF Finnish team this offseason. Starting with WJC, our team has shown some great improvement since my first international play with them a few seasons ago. Our biggest weakness coming into the tournament was originally goaltending, but honkerrs stepped up to be our WJC GM, and with that move we get his goalie Stratton on loan from team USA, which is a huge addition. The WJC team is really starting to take shape, we have some elite wingers in Potts and Seppala, a solid first pairing D in myself and Barkov, and a ton of active rookies and sophomores to round out our depth, rather than IA 155s like previous years. I think we could sneak into the medal round, but between the usual suspects in World, USA, Canada, DACH, Sweden, it will be challenging for us to bring home some hardware. For IIHF, I still think we're pretty severe underdogs. Our team continues to get better, and we have some great top end talent like Scoop, Kubinec, and my own GM Aittokallio, but we likely don't have the depth to compete with the teams in our group, mainly US, Germany, Czechia, and Austria. I think that the US and Canada have the best chances to get gold/silver (in either order), with GB or Germany rounding out the bronze.

3 TPE

Quote:12. Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE
Record a mini-podcast on any of the below topics!
- Highlights of the S54 season (on or off the ice)
- S54 playoff round-up
- S54 Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup finals Breakdown
- S55 predictions

1 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 person Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes
Post the direct link to your podcast.

2 person mini-pod with Nhamlet
https://soundcloud.com/nhamlet21/nhamlet...cw-podcast

4 TPE

Quote:16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification word: juke

3 TPE

Total: 16 TPE

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020, 10:10 AM by Weretarantula.)

Honestly man I don't know what I need to do to be a better playmaker for the sim. We tried so many different things and my build ticks all of the boxes but this season just straight up screwed me. For some reason I give up the puck a lot but the improvements I made in my build should have stopped that from happening as much. Definitely a disappointing season for me in comparison to the last. 44 points in 50 games is horrendous when compared to the league leaders. I'm hoping this season was just a one off, but only time will tell. I will have to assess my best options available to me in terms of stats. That's just on an individual level, the Dragons got screwed over for a lot of the season too. Our defence couldn't catch a break even though we are one of the highest TPE teams in the league. Looking forward to S55 and forgetting this season.

I didn't bother. As soon as we were knocked out of the playoffs I shut everything off. As I said in the previous response this season really was a turn off when we saw the results. I would say I lost interest fairly early on when we would get munched by weaker teams. That can happen, that's life, but it was just one too many times for me. I was expecting to get booted from the playoffs honestly, because that's exactly what the season had already given us. I am happy NOLA won though, Hamilton had no business being there in terms of how much better the opposing teams are. Getting past Buffalo makes me think they know something about the engine that others don't. Imagine if it's all just a wild conspiracy. So yeah anyway, I have been hanging out with Batsbak in the Netherlands and it's dope. Parmborg comes around and cyborgs it up every now and again too.

6. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)

Occasionally, broadcast networks will bring an active player into the TV coverage of ongoing finals if their team has been eliminated, and that player is often to give unique insights from a current player's perspective. During this NOLA-HAM finals, which SHL player or prospect would be a good addition to the Challenge Cup TV coverage? Why would that player be a good addition to the broadcast team?

This is a really hard question to answer, but honestly I wanna say Boomcheck. I just think he has the dynamics and pzazz to pull off such a role. He could colour commentate it perfectly, trowing in little quips like 'That guy that has the puck isn't as good as Cameron Carter the Second' and 'That goal that that guy just scored wasn't as good as the last goal Cameron Carter the Second scored'. He would also interact well with his co-hosts, giving them playful banter the fuel the conversation like 'Tell me why Cameron Cart the Second isn't the absolute greatest player to ever live' or 'If you don't nominate Cameron Carter the Second to the Hall of Fame first ballot I'm going to take this microphone and stick it straight up you'. People everywhere love to hear this kind of engaging exchange in the commentator box. He'd know stats too, like 'Did you know that Cameron Carter the Second once ate 40 hotdogs before scoring a hatty?' It's perfection.

7. Written, 3 TPE

Write a sonnet about an SHL-related topic. Be sure to follow the proper ABAB-CDCD-EFEF-GG rhyme structure or your HS English (or equivalent any-language Writing teacher) will track you down and give you a failing grade.

Hamilton is full of conspiracies
Their players look bad compared to NOLA
Their bank accounts, we should probably freeze
The truth will come when all this is over
I'm suspect of Gabe, he looks kind of wild
And that Hallsy guy is a little odd
They just seem as though they are meek and mild
But are they really just miserable sods?
They will always claim that they are hunted
It's definitely not a reflection
It's an issue that should be confronted
The glass contains many imperfections
Water is still wet and the paint is dry
It's just whether there's any point to try

14. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min)

Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Lil Manius has this in the bag, I think that's a no brainer. Topped out the points, threw a massive 71 hits in comparison to the rest of his company at the top of the table, and had the highest plus minus among everyone. Clearly a player who took it up and over the top in the playoffs and one that should be rewarded for it. A close second could go to Cain here, as he did have an unbelievable run himself, but I think to overshadow Manius it has to be truly special. Cain did have just under 3GAA, but it's not quite enough in my books to give it to him.

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

V: HairySpider

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Task 1

I had a solid season and probably the best performance of my career so far. I averaged over a point a game and while I only scored eighteen goals, and most of those came in the last few games, I was on the scoresheet a lot for assists. I can attribute this to two things. First, someone has to pass the puck to Andreas. But more importantly, everyone on the team made huge leaps forward this season. We won nine games in Season 53 and almost tripled that this past season. Everyone was better and when everyone around you is playing better, it elevates your game too. I have been focusing on defense throughout the season and will continue to do so as I am certainly lacking in that department. I expect that to come in time. But my team really elevated me this season and I like to think I helped them too.

Task 2

After the season was over I checked out. I pushed pretty hard this season and I just needed a break. I kept in contact with my team but I needed to breathe and just relax for a few weeks. I’m gearing up for the IIHF now and I’m excited to play again but I didn’t watch any hockey once we got knocked out. It was a little disappointing to miss my first playoff appearance because of a tie-breaker but I don’t anticipate that ever happening again. But I didn’t watch a single playoff game, I just checked scores every now and then. I think it’s important to take breaks every now and then to help you refocus. If you are constantly going 100, you will burn out eventually. It helps with the mental aspect of the game to not be constantly grinding. I did miss practice one week which upset my team but I’m making up for it.

Task 3

Who is Sergi Kostitsyn? Honestly I have no idea. I don’t follow too much outside of my own team. I mean we all wear masks now, at least we are supposed to, so who is to say if we have seen him or not? I could have seen him in the store and not known it was him. But if it’s some kind of human traffic thing, then we probably won’t see him again. But he’s probably around somewhere. I really have no idea what this is about though. Hopefully he’s okay I guess. I’m sure someone, somewhere, cares about him. Thoughts and prayers.

Task 4

With the new engine the chance for randomness seems to be a lot less, which is a good thing. The best teams usually win. So I don’t see too much changing at the top. I expect the United States to still be a powerhouse and take gold. As for my team, Finland, we will be better. Much like Texas, we have been slowly improving for what seems like an eternity now so we might make a splash. I doubt we make the medal rounds but anything is possible. There are upsets every now and then and if one goes our way, we are right there in the mix. We have a solid team and some great young stars in the making and if one or two of them make a big impact this season, we will be off to the races. But at the end of the day, the best teams will still be there at the end, much like the World Cup.

Task 6

I’d say Bjorn Leppanen would be a great addition to the booth. I’m biased of course, but he has such insight into the game and a great mind for the game, he would be able to break down plays in a way that makes sense to the common viewer. Just seeing what he’s done in our locker room has been impressive. He has spent so much time studying and breaking down games that he would be a natural in the booth. That being said, hopefully we are in the playoffs next season so I don’t have to recommend him. He might not even enjoy it honestly. There is a lot of unnecessary criticism on announcers and play-by-play guys. But if I was to recommend anyone, it would be him. Most people would probably try to make it about themselves and forget about the game, but I think Bjorn would do a stellar job. Many others would too I’m sure.

Task 7

Texas didn’t make it
But the future is bright
If the improve just a little bit
They can put up a fight

Andreas is getting older
But the rest are catching up
We will try to make him a holder
Of the great big Challenge Cup

Young stars on the rise
And the big teams falling down
We can reach the highest highs
And give Andreas that precious crown

Texas, Texas, Texas, I hope we go all the way
Texas, Texas, Texas, what a bright and sunny day

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Task 1 - Charlie Schieck had a miserable S54, and appeared to abandon all of his offensive instincts. His 4 goals and 18 points is the lowest total he’s posted since his rookie season in S45, when he also scored 18 points. On top of that, Charlie posted a team worst -11 rating, and while +/- isn’t the best indicator, it’s never a good sign to be the worst on the team. Schieck did lead the Pride with 41 takeaways on the season, and a good but not great 18 giveaways, showing that he was not a liability for his team by any means. This offseason Charlie is going to need to work on bringing the offensive side of his game back, and in particular he could work on his shooting, since his 5.71 shooting percentage was a career worst. As Charlie Schieck enters the twilight of his career, a season like the one he had has many people wondering whether it’s time for Charlie to hang em up.
[3 TPE]

Task 2 - The San Francisco Pride sat on the outside looking in again, watching as the Hamilton Steelhawks and the New Orleans Specters marched their way through the playoffs. For the players it was time to go home and rest, so watching the finals was not a priority for many. However, for GM Jeff Kirkstone, having already completed a trade with Hamilton in principle, he had a vested interest in watching Steelhawks goalie Geezus Kryyst. Kirkstone knew prior to the beginning of the finals that Kryyst would be coming to San Francisco for S55, and he was hoping to see another MVP worthy performance from the all-star netminder. It’s an exciting acquisition for the long-time GM, because it addresses the biggest hole the Pride have at the moment. Pride prospect Cillian Kavanagh is expected to make the jump to the SHL this season, but in the interest of sheltering their young starter, the Pride have brought in Kryyst to hold down the fort, while also providing some much needed mentorship to Kavanagh. The price was steep, and the Pride are gambling here, but they can afford the risk, and the reward of a Challenge Cup would make it all worthwhile.
[3 TPE]

Task 8 - It’s disappointing to miss the playoffs again this season, and to only miss by 2 points adds to the frustration. San Francisco has an exciting offseason ahead though, with recent news that the team won the 1st overall pick in the draft lottery. The team also announced the trade acquiring Geezus Kryyst from Hamilton, citing it as a major reason the team expects to win the Challenge Cup next season. Jeff Kirkstone also announced that the team had agreed to terms on new contracts for the majority of the pending free agents, and had other deals nearly worked out, stating the importance of keeping the team together. The team’s focus is now on the S55 SHL Draft, where they’ll make the 1st overall pick, and they also carry two 2nd round picks, making this a critical draft for the future of the franchise. The team will look to finalize their roster after the draft, and finish up negotiating any pending contracts.
[3 TPE]

Task 13 - A) This is a really close battle in net, and it’s hard to pick which team has the real advantage, but if anything might be working in Cain’s favour it’s his hunger to win that first Challenge Cup. Both goalies give their team a chance to win every game, but right now Cain might just be dialed in for these playoffs.
B) I like both of the Johnsons to be quite honest. On the ice though, I have to say that Gabriel is a step ahead. Darnell is a terrific player, and a teammate anyone would love to have I’m sure, so don’t be surprised if you see him step up his game for this series.
C) NOLA shows that having the opponent’s number in the regular season can translate to the playoffs. I’m not so sure that 2 games is the best indicator, but you get a glimpse of how the teams match up against each other. It’s up to the GMs/Coaches to make the necessary adjustments in the playoffs though.
D) Not really keen on going to the US at the moment, so I’d take a trip to dirty ol Hamilton. I’d spend all the money on a fancy hotel suite, and spend all my time there ordering room service. By avoiding the tourist trap of New Orleans, I can buy a lot more room service.
[4 TPE]

Task 16 - Verification
[3 TPE]

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

1. (3/16)

Like many of the seasons Rex has had since hitting his peak this one was another just ok season. Another season in the high thirties for points with a decent total in other metrics such as shots and blocks. Like last season he was near the top of defensemen for total number of shots and like last season he had a pretty poor conversion rate of about three percent. While he was a three time Bojo Biscuit winner what he really craved was a Stevens award or at the very least a nomination. While he had been regarded as one of the top defensemen in the league for the last four or five seasons he hadn't quite managed to kick on and take the top accolade. This was partially the reason for accepting a trade away from New England, he hadn't quite clicked there or West Kendall in terms of point scoring but hopefully he would find some joy in New Orleans otherwise time was running out.

[167]

2. (6/16)

Rex Kirkby was in the weird position of his teams both being out of the playoffs altogether and also in the challenge cup finals. After a poor campaign where the New England Wolfpack failed to even get into the wildcard Kirkby was traded to the New Orleans Specters. Even though the trade wasn't announced until after the Specters had already lifted the cup Kirkby had known for a while so it was a weird experience sitting at home and watching what would be a lot of his new team mates lifting the cup and celebrating on the ice. Due to needing to organise another move across country Rex stayed at home and watched the finals by himself while packing up while putting down a few brewskis and skyping his sons Thor and Orion who's seasons were still ongoing over in PBE and the NSFL and who were both keen to come and visit once he had moved to experience the famous New Orleans lifestyle.

[165]

6. (9/16)

Personally I think there is only one man for the job in this one. Gabriel Johnson. Not only would having him in the press box mean that he is not out there dragging Hamilton down like an anchor but he also has some of the most radical and controversial opinions in the SHL. Not many people outside of Anchorage have gotten to hear those opinions and I think that is a travesty that could be righted by having his razor sharp insight. Coincidentally there is another former Anchorage Johnson in this series who would also be a perfect colour commentator. Darnell Johnson has those silky dulcet tones that everyone likes to listen to. As well as this there are rumours that he helps out with the back office running tactics and scenarios along with the rest of New Orlean's technical staff so would probably have some interesting information to give out and provide clarity for the rest of us laymen.

[160]

13. (13/16)

a. Impossible to go past Cainer here. Despite earning himself the nickname Swiss Cheese for his occassional abysmal efforts at defending his net he has been one of the best rated goalies in the SHL for at least five or six seasons. As well as this he is part of the undisputed best draft class around.

[55]

b. Same thing as the last really. Even though Gabirel Johnson is probably regarded as the more skilled of the two he is more or less a complete liability on the ice and everywhere else which is pretty much the opposite of what his job is. Also skips out on free pints which automatically makes him the worse option.

[58]

c. Turned out this was as accurate as it gets. Hamilton went the whole season without getting a W over New Orleans and their superior regular season stats most likely come from farming teams like Toronto and Tampa Bay rather than actual better play. Really this is the story of Hamilton, without cheese they are significantly worse than the better teams in the league.

[63]

d. Who in their right mind would choose Hamilton for this question? The only thing about Hamilton that is better is that it is in Canada. French quarter, po boy sandwiches, cocktails, jazz or.... whatever it is that Hamilton has to offer. A drive to Toronto? Yea pretty much a no brainer here.

[52]

16. (16/16)

Verification: Boats

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Bo Kane had high expectations heading into season 54. I was hoping to make huge strides and to solidify myself as one of the top offensive talents within the league. Unfortunately, I made little to no progress on that matter. My point total only increased from 31 to 34. I did improve from a +/- of 0 to +7 which is good. For the most part statistically, there wasn't much progress. I think the issue was I redistributed to try and balance out a few things but in the process, I left certain attributes not high enough and it wasn't possible to earn enough TPE throughout the season to improve them. I would suspect next season will be a big one for me and I'll be an entirely different player production wise. Hopefully, it will be enough to help push the San Francisco Pride into a more competitive team annually.

13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. These are absolutely two of the best goaltenders in the league in Cain and Kryyst - which team has the advantage in net in this series?
b. There are two Johnsons in this series - Gabriel (HAM) and Darnell (NOLA). In fact, the two used to host the Johnson & Johnson Podcast together, but they're now on the ice as bitter rivals. Which team has the better Johnson?
c. The Specters won both regular season matchups, but Hamilton finished with better team stats overall. Do regular season head-to-heads provide an accurate forecast for a playoff series? (answer predictively if it hasn't happened yet; reactively if it has.)
d. If SDCore offered you an all-expenses paid week-long vacation to either New Orleans or Hamilton, which city would you choose to go to? (tough choice I know lol.) How would you spend your time there?

a) New Orleans has the advantage in net as Cain has been arguably the best goalie in the league the past few seasons and that isn't a shot at Kryyst who is also very talented (and now my teammate). Krysst did have the better season though so who knows how it will turn out.

b) This is a pretty one sided question here. One eats up almost 23 minutes a night while the other plays 16 minutes. One had 44 points and was a +35 while the other had 9 points and was a +9. These players are in different leagues talent wise. Gabriel is the better Johnson.

c) The Specters won the regular season matchups and they continued that success into the playoffs by winning the matchup. So I guess it looks like regular season head-to-head matchups do provide some sort of hint on who has the advantage. You can always do strategy changes though so it is something you can counter and fix.

d) Bo Kane loves to party so this is a very easy choice. The night life of New Orleans would be a blast especially while some of the SHL final games are played there. It would just been a full week bender of just partying non-stop with fans and other players in the league.

Well SDCore has offered us an all-paid for vacation to New Orleans during the finals so we plan on going hard. We rented out a huge Airbnb and are throwing massive watch parties for the games in Hamilton where fans will also be invited. There will be free alcohol, catering, and a bunch of random stuff. It will be almost like a fair going on. For the games that are in New Orleans we will be day drinking before the games and then going to watch them live. After that it will be out to enjoy the night life of New Orleans by bar hopping around meeting as many fans as possible. Overall it's going to be a very nice trip to get a reset after a long season. A much needed break for a majority of us after a season we would all like to forget and move on from.

Occasionally, broadcast networks will bring an active player into the TV coverage of ongoing finals if their team has been eliminated, and that player is often to give unique insights from a current player's perspective. During this NOLA-HAM finals, which SHL player or prospect would be a good addition to the Challenge Cup TV coverage? Why would that player be a good addition to the broadcast team?

I would be an excellent choice for this. I would add some flare to the TV coverage as I'm going to be absolutely hammered the entire time. No one will know what to expect from me. Since I'll also be drunk I'll be speaking 100% honest truth. Overall it would just be an interesting viewing experience instead of the traditional bland and boring responses you would get from anyone else. This shit will be trending on twitter and you can all thank SDCore for that as he's the one paying for the vacation to New Orleans. If I say anything bad you can also direct any hate toward him as he must accept full responsibility for my actions. Maybe we can even add some drinking games throughout the games. Every bad call by a referee is a shot? Every time a player trips over their own feet is also a shot? This will be a blast, sign me up.

Done.

Falcons Canada
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020, 01:46 PM by Katth.)

1. Reflection (3 TPE)
Looking back at the previous season it's one with ups and downs. Overall our team did worse than last season and it was a hard pill to swallow. Almost at the peak of my career my player did no produce as much as it did the season before. Which was frustrating, but there's not much to do besides grinding out that TPE and be a better player next year. At the final day of the regular season my player scored the shootout winner that made us qualify for the playoffs on a tiebreaker in favor of the Texas Renegades. That was pretty much the highlight of my season. The playoffs were nothing but heartbreak as well. We played some pretty good and close games against Los Angeles, but it wasn't nearly enough to beat them unfortunately. Next season will be better, some changes are coming and looking forward to the draft.

2. Well, dang... (3 TPE)
Neither of my teams made the finals. Calgary was knocked out in the first round and the Kelowna Knights were knocked out in the second round. After both losses I completely stopped following the playoffs and tried to enjoy the little longer off season. Last season when we played the finals with Kelowna against Detroit we were busy finding the best strategies all the way up to a few days before the draft. It did not leave us with a whole lot of time to scout. Right now we have a little more time to focus on that and just enjoy a few quiet days doing nothing. Upcoming draft is a Reddit draft in the juniors, so it's going to take a lot of effort from our front office to scout all the players that are eligible. It's going it be a hectic week as is with any other draft, reddit makes it just a little extra stressful.

3. (clean) (2 TPE)
I've known Sergei from way back in the day and he was a good man. When Andrei hit the league saying Sergei was missing, it made me feel sad. I've reshared Andrei's messages all over my social media in an effort to help search for him, but to this day he hasn't been found. I hope he's okay and well. Sergei deserves to be reunited with his brother Andrei and maybe even return to the league as a player if he can get back into shape. Sergei was a bit of a loner, so perhaps he just went back to tundra to live a solitary life.

4. IIHF (3 TPE)
I think the IIHF will again be dominated by the US and perhaps Canada. They have really strong rosters compared to most other nations competing in the competition. My own team, Austria, is a big outsider that has been working hard on rebuilding after losing several key players to retirement in the past few seasons. Our GM BK is working really hard to recruit under the unassigned rookies lately and we've been able to convert a few players to come play for the big schnitzel team. I think at this time that we will be lucky if we get passed the round robin and into the medal round. It would certainly be fun to reach the medal rounds again some day, having only played for bronze once and lost the game. Again I probably don't pay a whole lot of attention to IIHF because I have a reddit draft to prepare for.

14. The Procrastinator Special! (2 TPE)
The MVP of the series between Hamilton Steelhawks and New Orleans Spectors is JoeK. From the very first season since the expansion he's been gunning to reach the final and win the Challenge Cup with New Orleans. He has been able to build a solid team with active members and has been a force to be reckoned with ever since. Yes, there was some controversy last season in the playoffs, but they've paid the price. Now they reached the final stages of this league and took it home by beating the Hamilton Steelhawks. So in my eyes JoeK is the real MVP.

16. Trivia (3 TPE)
Verification word: Katth

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

pbe pt

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Task 1: In what may very well be his last season in the SMJHL, St. Louis Scarecrows top line right win Mega Tron really struggled out of the gate. At the half way point of the season frustration was running high for Mega Tron. After discussing with management how Tron could better find success, his season really turned around and he was able to finish with 10 goals and 17 assists for 27 points. However, Tron was still disappointed after last seasons 44 point outing. He entered the playoffs with a chip on his shoulder and was back to old form scoring 8 points in 7 games. Unfortunately it was not enough for the Scarecrows to be able to advance and the season ended all too abruptly for Tron and his Scarecrows team mates. Next season will either be Tron’s last season in the SMJHL or Tron’s first season in the SHL and depending on which of those it ends up being could heavily effect Tron’s goals for himself next season. (3 TPE)

Task 3: This one time I helped Andrei look for Sergei in this Walmart in Hamilton for 36 hours. It was right after rookie training camp last summer. Andrei came to me and told me the story of his beloved missing brother and asked if I would help him look for him at the Walmart down the street. Being the good friend that I amI agreed but the second we got into the Walmart Andrei began opening every chip bag and yelling into them “Sergei where are you!” Going through every chip bag in the store was a relentless process but afterwards we were approached by a police officer and promptly asked to leave the store. (2 TPE)

Task 5: For me the biggest no brainer for the hall of fame from either New Orleans or Hamilton would have to be a bulge rather than a player. Since we have moved to the current site no one has done more for the development of the SHL and expansion and growth of our league than DrunkenTeddy. I remember when Teddy first joined and Hamilton had the 1st and 2nd overall pick. We were so excited to get Teddy and his brother QC in the draft just thinking we were gonna get a good player. Never could we predict how important of a member to the site we would find. So while I am sure there are players on either team that may be in the conversation for the hall of fame, DrunkenTeddy the member is my pick. (2 TPE)

Trivia: Goose (3 TPE)

Need a sig :-/

Hugh Jazz had a much better S54 season than an S53 season. He was quite disappointed in his season last season so he worked hard on getting a better shot, getting faster so he can keep up with the pace of the steelhawks. Overall he was happy of his individual performance. Steelhawks disappointing in the finals was the only thing that bummed him out but at the end of the day we already have won 2 cups and just beating Buffalo is good enough for me. We are going to be back again and we hope that we win the championship next season. We have a much improved roster and we should be stronger than ever next season. Next season, I will try and get faster and have a better shot again as I feel like there is still room for improvement and I feel I will make a massive improvement and could maybe challenge for a scoring title next season.

Code:
3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
It has been publicized a decent amount on this site but Hamilton prospect Andrei Kostitsyn's brother Sergei appears to be missing. Does anybody know where Sergei? What have you done/what can you do to help Andrei track down his brother?

Sadly we have no idea where Andrei's brother and we have been trying to find him but so far we got no luck. I wished we were able to find him. Hopefully the queen knows he is has he has been moved from Hamilton to New England. I think she could help out trying to find his brother potentially and I wish him the best to in his future endeavors and I hope that he joins being with the Wolfpack. Also maybe russia knows where his brother is too, they could have taken him away to some place. I just wish he gets found at the end of the day.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
S54 IIHF Predictions - with one FHM IIHF season under our belt, we've got a bit more of a sense of how the tournament might play out in the new sim engine. What are your predictions for the S54 IIHF or WJC tournament - how do you think your team will fare this season? Who do you think are the biggest contenders to take home the hardware and why?

I feel like team Canada will have success this tournament, we are a very deep team that is getting better every season. We also have a lot of players who haved played together in Hamilton in the past couple of seasons. Me, Wilson,Phelps,ec are all Steelhawks teammates at the end of the day and there is a lot of that familiarity with the same shl team in our lineup. Also we feel like we are going to be even better this season as our core just got better and we look to try and get that advantage. I feel like our tactics will help improve our plan on the ice and I see us being the gold medal winners and bringing our dominance to international hockey once again. I feel like we are the biggest contender this season, which is great I have been with team canada for awhile now and I hope to bring them back to victory again.

Code:
5. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Which player from the Steelhawks or Specters has a great chance to make the Hall of Fame when their playing days are up? Make the case for that player's HOF bid.

I feel like Robert Phelps has the best case for the HoF he has won 2 cups and he has been in the league for 3 separate decades basically. He is close to 1000 points and I see him potentially reaching that in the upcoming seasons. He is a great leader on and off the ice. He has one great things for the SHL, he manages the website, and might be one of the better guys for the locker room right now. He is a committed steelhawk who will do anything to help the team out at the end of the day.

Code:
13. Written, up to 4 TPE Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. These are absolutely two of the best goaltenders in the league in Cain and Kryyst - which team has the advantage in net in this series?

I would go with Cain as he has been one of the better goalies in the league for the while, most tpe and everything. he could be a difference maker in the series and well he was I guess. Kryyst is getting old and is slowing down. He has had a lot of playoff runs lately and has been carrying our team in the playoffs for a while now. He might be able to do it physically this season for the 3rd time in 4 seasons.

b. There are two Johnsons in this series - Gabriel (HAM) and Darnell (NOLA). In fact, the two used to host the Johnson & Johnson Podcast together, but they're now on the ice as bitter rivals. Which team has the better Johnson?

The one that is my co-gm is the better Johnson. Plus he isn't a questionable character that I have heard as done some fucked up shit in the past. Really glad they are bitter rivals as it would be weird if they were friends honestly also Gabe stinks so Darnell isn't the greatest person at all from what I have heard.

Code:
14. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

I would say congrats to NOLA as they won. I would have to go with Cain as their MVP. I dont think they would even make the finals or even playoff without him. They were generally outplayed in the finals, and in other series this season. NOLA simply got the bounces offensively to win hockey games. I dont think they will be back next season in the finals but you never know. If they do make the finals, I hope we are in so we can give them some payback for this lost. We are a better team with our moves this off-season and I will try my best to get more improvements to our roster.

Code:

Waters

task 1.
this season was a massive step in a different direction for me. before the season started i was approached by management and asked to take on a completely different role. now my game has seen many different forms over the course of my career but never once was i considered a goal scorer, far from it to be honest, so once i heard what was being asked of me i was both nervous and excited. things ended up clicking pretty quickly so the nerves washed away and i just did my thing. the whole thing was pretty surprising to say the least, seeing my name up on the goals leaderboard… i even had a 4 goal game early in the season. needless to say i think i surpassed my own expectations. from here on out i just gotta stay focused and play my game until something else is asked of me.
151 words

task 2.
im the sort of person who needs to step away for a little bit once my team is out of the playoffs. thats not to say i dont check on the scores or see whos up in the series from time to time but otherwise im pretty busy with my family and other non-hockey friends. i did hear some of my teammates talking about getting together to watch some of the games though. it was pretty funny to see them rooting so hard for New Orleans to be honest. they have always been one of those teams youre not too excited to see on the schedule as they can be quite a tough team to play against. but yeah, anyway, im pretty sure Andrej, Luke, and Alex may have hung out and watched some of the games together. Barret might have been there as well? i dont really remember what they were saying. our team usually doesnt do anything extravagant for the finals.
163 words

task 4.
iihf didnt go too bad for me last season seeing how czechia made it all the way to the finals, ultimately losing but still taking home the silver medal. i dont see this season going too differently when it comes to the medal winners to be honest. we may not have an absolute powerhouse roster but we have some really talented and hardworking players that i know can produce similar, if not better, results to last season’s tournament. it will be especially interesting to see how things go for us this season with my new goal scoring focus. where will i end up in the line up? could i be an integral piece of the roster this season? i think maybe some added firepower could give us the boost we need to keep up with some of those scarier nations. i think we take home another medal this season. usa and canada are always safe bets for the podium as well.
161 words

task 5.
i mean there are pretty much two lock candidates, one on each team, id say. i say phelps for sure gets in but i think maybe joe k is the more obvious choice by just a slight margin. joe has to be one of the most recognizable names and faces in the entire league and is one of those players you hear about time and time again. i wish the bojo box were active just so i could take a deeper dive into his career but just looking at his pull down stat box in his signature reveals enough for you to know hes the real deal, not to mention that only covers about 12 of his 23 seasons.
119 words

task 13.
b. im going with cain on this one, not only because he was on the winning team but because its about goddamn time he wins. dude could not catch a break and as we know that can only go on for so long. hes been an absolute beast for most of his career but has always come up short, he deserves this one.
62 words
d. i have some friends who had an absolute blast when they went to New Orleans so that is where id rather go, not to mention i wanted their team to win. other than going to the games id just like to go enjoy the nightlife and get into some shenanigans. im sure my friends would hook me up with some of the people they met out there and theyd show me a good time.
74 words

task 16.
itsfinallyover

Tony Ford is well on his way towards being one of the top Dmen in the league, which is exactly where he belongs. Im just gonna keep on the up, grinding out that tpe, and meeting those goals. Next few seasons, there should be very few better Dmen in the league, what with the great LAP team surrounding me and the fact that im still on the rise, and while this season wasn't ideal, im happy to keep on grinding and aim for the big time next year, which is award noms. At this stage, there are two aims for Tony, a challenge cup and some individual awards for the mantlepiece, and all of these things are gonna come pretty soon as long as the trend continues. In 3 seasons he's gone from Nothing to everything, so its gonna be exciting to watch the next few. Watch this space.

The iihf is a tournament that means a lot to me, as a former fed head and multiple medal winner, and I also have a lot of knowledge of the field. That said, IIHF is a place where freak results can happen, like last season, with Czechia overcoming a heavily favoured Canada to reach the final, where alas they were defeated by one of the favourites, the US. This season, it's going to be a battle of the big 3 again, with Team GB, Canada and the USA definitely expected to make up 3 of the semi finalists once again, failing some interesting things going on in the bracket. These teams are so strong, each for different reasons (GB notably has the best defense of the tournament by a country mile). I find it hard to see these teams not taking away at least two and probably all 3 medals, but personally Im going to put down GB taking home the serious hardware, followed by Canada then the USA, which may well be a homer opinion, so don't place any bets on it. It'll be down to the wire!

I think this is a no brainer, to explain the defensive aspect of the SHL today, who better than one of the best current SHL players. With one of the highest TPE values in the league, he's got challenge cups to his name, as well as a stellar record in IIHF (having won both best defenseman and best forward in the tournament - the only player to ever win both awards). It is, of course Rex Kirkby. He's insightful, has great knowledge of the teams, especially the steelhawks having played in the east his whole career, and in playoff series against the steelhawks in recent seasons as well. It's hard to think of a player with the experience, knowledge of today's changing game, and defensive acumen that he has, with award noms to boot. It's basically a no brainer that he should be on the SHL network tv coverage.

Kryyst is probably the favoured goaltender in this match up. He's been here before, a lot, and you back him to absolutely nail down the net. That said, the strength of the NOLA attack is such that he may well concede more goals. I guess we'll just have to watch and wait.

Darnell Johnson is a great player with great insight into the game, but Gabe is older and just a bit more skillful. Neither player should be overlooked by any means, but Gabriel takes the biscuit here, and still has a long and promising career ahead of him, as does Darnell. This should be exciting though.

c. The Specters won both regular season matchups, but Hamilton finished with better team stats overall. Do regular season head-to-heads provide an accurate forecast for a playoff series? (answer predictively if it hasn't happened yet; reactively if it has.)

Turns out the regular season head to heads showed this one absolutely right. Theyre a great thing, and the better stats of hamilton were a mask to the fact they were a weaker team all along, and to be honest would likely have lost to either of the WCF teams in my opinion. The Eastern conference had the weakest teams in the league, while the West was vastly more competitive, and this is the reason for this head to head showing through.

d. If SDCore offered you an all-expenses paid week-long vacation to either New Orleans or Hamilton, which city would you choose to go to? (tough choice I know lol.) How would you spend your time there?

If SDCore offered me anything id look at him suspiciously, and wonder what was wrong with the world, then again hed probably just want to get rid of me for a week. On balance, I think Hamilton has to be the one to go to though, cos canada is just so much nicer.

16. Trivia, 3 TPE

Verification: Wildcats

Total: 16

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Code:
WJC Simmer Claim - 3 TPE (Corey said I could)

Code:

Watching the playoffs and finals has been a long standing tradition in my time with the Wolfpack, between a prolonged rebuild, and then being extremely unlucky with one of the strongest rosters in the league, we haven't got to experience playoff hockey a whole lot. To make up for it we get absolutely fucking plastered and have a hot dog eating contest. Eko [van Otter] wins every single year but I got pretty close to him this time out. I reckon I'll have this time next year, assuming we miss playoffs again, which let's be honest, it is going to happen. I almost don't want to make them so I can hang out with the guys and use it as an excuse to stuff our faces with hotdogs. I'm the old man of the team now, I have to set an example in front of all these new kids and show them how it's done.

Code:

I think everyone will agree that USA or Canada will be a pretty easy lock for the gold medal. But I personally believe either Czechia or Great Britain could sneak into the gold medal game. All it takes is one upset and the two European nations can really take it to the powerhouse of the mighty North American teams. It'll be a hard fight for the rest of the teams to get anywhere in the medal rounds but I think we'd all like to see some good performances from the smaller nations. It's good for the health of the championship to have some tighter, closer, and more competitive games across the leaderboard, not just at the very top. I think Great Britain will have the bronze medal on lock, their defensive core has been arguably the best in all of ice hockey for a long time now and there's no signs of it fading.

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

1. This season was a slight upswing for me after figuring out that there is basically only one meta build for goalies in FHM that works, at least on a junior level. I did pretty well all things considered being in the top half of goalies in the league in terms of most of the stats that mattered, although shutouts continue to elude me for some stupid reason. Really the only disappointing thing about this season for me was that I didn't do slightly better and that I stank up the playoffs AGAIN. It is frustrating to go out like this but then again not everyone can go out on top. I would have liked to have brought some hardware in while I was at Colorado but I guess it's destined not to be. It's disappointing to have not made the impact I wanted to but it is what it is.

2. As is a new tradition I'm starting this year, I don't watch any of the playoff games, as it's bad luck and we have a tendency to choke or get blown out when I watch games. As such I am holding a "not watch party" where the guests do anything except watch the game or otherwise keep track of what is going on. All phones are left at the door so people can not check up or otherwise stream the game, because any checking of the score means you are watching the game. Anyone found to be cheating and watching a game is immediately removed from the premises and will not be invited back for another not watch party. As part of this new lasting tradition this will be a yearly occurrence, even as I move to the SHL I will continue this tradition of not watching games.

3. Here is the deal. I have discovered the shocking secret behind Sergei, brother of Andrei. This secret will shock and horrify you. I have been contacted by multiple governments that have BEGGED me not to make this information public in the interest of national security but I think it is time the truth finally came out. The media, governments, everyone is involved, it's a vast multinational conspiracy they don't want you to hear about but I can not keep silent any longer, the truth must finally come out. Andrei's brother Sergei is currently located at BANG

5. I am going to kind of manipulate this question a bit because I don't have a real answer as I haven't paid much attention to the SHL. I think my answer is "The person or persons who came up with the exploit on Simon T." I know we all bitched and moaned back then about how they suck and they ruined the game or whatever but you can't tell me that the league as a whole isn't in a better position now than it was before all this happened.

13a. In this series there are two great goaltenders. Kryst absolutely has the name advantage in this duel but with Cain having been in the league for so long I have to say Cain will crucify the competition in this matchup. I think I nailed this one.
13b. In order to figure this one out I decided to look at which team has the bigger Johnson. Gabriel has a length of 5 feet 11 inches and a girth of 171 pounds, while Darnell has a length of 6 feet 2 inches and a girth of 220 pounds. As we can see New Orleans' Johnson is lengthier and girthier than Hamilton's.
13c. No they do not. The regular season has no effect on playoffs, especially in FHM with the arbitrary nature of heat and how random goalie performance seems to be. Teams seem to just completely collapse in the playoffs regardless of both regular season vs. performance and in general.
13d. Yeah I wonder. The only knock on New Orleans is the hordes of drunk college students and midlife crisis victims which plague the city on mardi gras, but realistically there is very little competition here and the answer is pretty obvious, New Orleans all day.

16. whew

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs