Create Account

An Interview with SMJHL Prospect Valtterri Kauppinen

[x2 payout draft article]
[~755 words]
[Image: kamenev_post_game.png]
Valtterri Kauppinen in interview after his final game with his high school team

Interviewer: With the SMJHL draft coming up on the hockey world quickly, we here at [generic hockey news station] have toured around the globe speaking to prospects that are now eligible for the draft. We have recently arrived in Oulu, Finland, where there are quite a few likely future SHLers to talk to. Today, our interviewee is from the Finnish Co-educational Lycée of Oulu. You might have heard of him, as he's been making quite the name for himself throughout the city's hockey community. How about introducing yourself to everyone?

Valtterri: Yeah, hello. My name is Valtterri Kauppinen. I play left wing for my high school team here, as well as for the Kärpät in the Liiga.

Interviewer: How have your high school and Liiga careers been? Did you make an impact for either team?

Valtterri: I would say so. I'm basically one of the top players on the high school team, not to toot my own horn or anything. Liiga has been much harder -- those are the top guys in the country, so it's hard to prove myself completely. Playing with and against guys like the ones in there... well, it certainly gives me the drive to make myself the best hockey player I can be.

Interviewer: I see. Those are some very inspirational words, Mr. Kauppinen. What are your plans on when, that is, if, you get drafted into the SMJHL? How many seasons will you spend there?

Valtterri: No need to correct yourself. I'm sure that I'm going to be going into the SMJHL come draft day, as I've already been contacted by multiple teams who are interested in picking me up. Worst case scenario, I go to free agency, and sign with a team. I plan on spending, at most, three seasons in the J. I'd like to get to the top level in the SHL as fast as possible without stunting my own growth. I don't care about where I go in the draft, all that matters is that I'm on the road to playing pro hockey. Draft position does not exactly determine skill in a player's later years, at least from what I've seen.

Interviewer: May we ask what teams have contacted you? That is, if you're allowed to share. And if so, who are you hoping picks you up on draft day?

Valtterri: I think sharing who has contacted me is my own discretion. I mean, I didn't have to sign an NDA or anything, you know? Anyway, some guys from the Carolina Kraken have contacted me, as have people from St. Louis, Quebec City, Colorado, and Anaheim. Out of all those teams, I'd probably want to go to... Anaheim. I actually have some cousins that live out in California, plus it'd be a nice change of weather and scenery, going from my very cold home in Finland to warm and sunny Socal.  My second most preferred team would have to be Carolina. Although they are a very deep team, going with them would give me a good chance at winning something. That's important to me, as well as having friendly players that I could make some good bonds with.

Interviewer: Alright, so your top two destinations are Anaheim and Carolina... duly noted. Let's change it up a bit. How about the team you want to go to the least?

Valtterri: Easy answer. Newfoundland. Not that I have anything against the team or anything, I'm sure they're all nice people and everything, but Newfoundland is just... a drab, bland kind of place. Sometimes I forget Newfoundland even exists sometimes, to be honest. Plus, it's probably the place that's closest to home in terms of weather, and the weather here kind of sucks ninety percent of the time.

Interviewer: I might have to agree with you there. One more question, and that should be it. What aspects of your game are you currently improving on?

Valtterri: My skating for sure, stuff like my edges and general agility... also my strength. I've been going to the gym quite a lot to work on getting some solid muscles to come out.

Interviewer: From what we've seen of you already, you're already quite the speedy guy. It'll be interesting to see you even faster. That's about all we have time for today though, so thank you for taking the time to talk to us, Mr. Kauppinen. We wish you the best of luck come draft day.

Valtterri: It was no problem. Thank you for coming and talking to me.

[Image: Pythonic.gif] [Image: Championship_Sig.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png] [Image: 2sRs0Cq.png]

Welcome to the league!  Kraken

Nice article, good luck in the draft!

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]

thanks boys 

Cheers

Soooo you're saying we shouldn't pick you 9th overall?

@SDCore back to the drawing board RIP

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

07-16-2020, 02:32 PMJNH Wrote: Soooo you're saying we shouldn't pick you 9th overall? 

never said that, just that newfoundland is a boring place Biggrin
out of character though, i really don't mind where i go, this post was made with the mindset of "where will my boy want to go, where will he not want to go, and why"

07-16-2020, 03:21 PMPythonic Wrote:
07-16-2020, 02:32 PMJNH Wrote: Soooo you're saying we shouldn't pick you 9th overall? 

never said that, just that newfoundland is a boring place Biggrin
out of character though, i really don't mind where i go, this post was made with the mindset of "where will my boy want to go, where will he not want to go, and why"

Yeah I'm just playing around. Your boy would be surprised about what Newfoundland has to offer.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

come to us and I'll make you more sigs  Scarecrows

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]

07-16-2020, 05:29 PMrum_ham Wrote: come to us and I'll make you more sigs  Scarecrows
might have to take you up on that one...